Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Air shows are almost always propane-fueled machine gun simulators. These guys: http://youtu.be/niJ82YCiuYU are the only ones I know of to arm a WWII fighter with actual, live guns and ammunition. And even then, they showed six M2s on the bench, and the airplane only had four onboard for the test.) I also don't know that they've ever flown it armed, or fired them airborne, if they have.

Even blanks would drop brass and links all over the godamned place, which is kind of a no-no at air shows. Not to mention that brass, links, and operable, legal M2s ain't cheap, even when talking about a vintage fighter.

That P-40 is obviously firing blanks, since he didn't bother to jack the airplane, or clear the firing arc, but I'd love to know more about it if anyone can find it.

Just found some pics and can confirm that they were blanks. It still doesn't make it any less badass (ok, well, maybe a LITTLE. But still...)

You can clearly see that they are blanks in this photo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Powercube posted:

167951 by Powercube, on Flickr

This is not a brand new P-8A. Why is it covered in black tape?

Flight test article with wiring running to strain gages would be my guess. Although usually we keep that wiring orange.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
A modified 737 with hard-points is loving awesome and makes me feel funny in my pants; it's my favorite new plane.

E: Years ago I imported the plane files from Flight Simulator 2000 into Combat Flight Sim 2. Much fun was had dogfighting in a 737-300, and I think it's hilariously cool that it is now (kind of) a reality.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

StandardVC10 posted:

So, I saw something a bit different in Ontario, California last weekend:

I don't even know what sort of business a civilian C-130 does. Besides actual military cargo under contract.

I've chartered the Lynden hercs before. The company I used to work for did it every once in a while to haul big loads into the middle of nowhere. Our preference was to use DC-6s because they're a gently caress-ton cheaper, but when you needed a big enough load or for lumber the C-130 got called in.

I did a FOD check on a runway before one landed at Moses Point (which is basically a beach) and that bastard blew up a 4x8 sheet of plywood that was a couple inches down in the gravel. My boss was PISSED.

Edit: Cost comparison, 2003: For the same flight a C-130 was $40,000, a DC-6 was $16,000.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 9, 2013

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

Air shows are almost always propane-fueled machine gun simulators. These guys: http://youtu.be/niJ82YCiuYU are the only ones I know of to arm a WWII fighter with actual, live guns and ammunition. And even then, they showed six M2s on the bench, and the airplane only had four onboard for the test.) I also don't know that they've ever flown it armed, or fired them airborne, if they have.

Even blanks would drop brass and links all over the godamned place, which is kind of a no-no at air shows. Not to mention that brass, links, and operable, legal M2s ain't cheap, even when talking about a vintage fighter.

That P-40 is obviously firing blanks, since he didn't bother to jack the airplane, or clear the firing arc, but I'd love to know more about it if anyone can find it.

I might be crazy, but I distinctly remember as a kid seeing a dogfight reenactment where a Zero and an American fighter (can't recall what) shot blanks at each other. I saw fire spitting out of their muzzles as they "shot" at each other. This must have been at least 20 years ago.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

I might be crazy, but I distinctly remember as a kid seeing a dogfight reenactment where a Zero and an American fighter (can't recall what) shot blanks at each other. I saw fire spitting out of their muzzles as they "shot" at each other. This must have been at least 20 years ago.

Probably the CAF Tora! Tora! Tora! demo?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Terrible Robot posted:

A modified 737 with hard-points is loving awesome and makes me feel funny in my pants; it's my favorite new plane.

E: Years ago I imported the plane files from Flight Simulator 2000 into Combat Flight Sim 2. Much fun was had dogfighting in a 737-300, and I think it's hilariously cool that it is now (kind of) a reality.

Theres a brand new Navy 737 sitting at Boeing in Renton right now.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I had dinner with a spitfire owner and pilot a couple of months ago and he was saying that apparently there was an outfit in Poland that would get and fit operational browning 303's for you. I got the impression from him that someone else has already fitted them. Our discussion was how to get the CAA to permit their installation which I suspect would be the stumbling block.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mlmp08 posted:

I KNOW the CAF Tora Tora Tora show uses propane sims. They sound pretty close to real gunfire, and have muzzle flashes. They're a bit less sharp than real .50BMG fire, but very convincing.

D C posted:

Theres a brand new Navy 737 sitting at Boeing in Renton right now.

That's a P-8. Based on a 737, but different. :spergin:

Colonel K posted:

I had dinner with a spitfire owner and pilot a couple of months ago and he was saying that apparently there was an outfit in Poland that would get and fit operational browning 303's for you. I got the impression from him that someone else has already fitted them. Our discussion was how to get the CAA to permit their installation which I suspect would be the stumbling block.

Christ, I can't imagine feeding eight .303 Brownings. .303 is EXPENSIVE nowadays.

Also, I just discovered that the aircraft mounted M1919 is also designated M2. :downs:

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Initiating cat drop test in 3....2....1..

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Uhh...Blitzcat?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I think the pilot looks more pissed off than the cat!

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004

Jonny Nox posted:

I think the pilot looks more pissed off than the cat!

Cat is probably hypoxic.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

CharlesM posted:

Uhh...Blitzcat?

"Space cat", it's from 1958 before they had the "vomit comet" and their solution to finding out what zero-G did to people was to take a cat up in a F-84. The pilot apparently described the cat as 'bewildered' during the experiment.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

MrYenko posted:

That's a P-8. Based on a 737, but different. :spergin:

Might also be a C-40 Clipper

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Think its a P-8. What made it stand out on the lineup (besides the grey paint) was the lack of winglets.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If it's new it's almost assuredly a P-8.

They're pretty neat planes if you're a 737 fan but if you're a P-3 fan there's a lot of questions as to how effective a replacement they'll be.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Good news, the final two VHS tapes are uploaded to YouTube.

F-105

http://youtu.be/MR2F677wYm0

F-86

http://youtu.be/i4wlF9k98jA

Enjoy them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

They're pretty neat planes if you're a 737 fan but if you're a P-3 fan there's a lot of questions as to how effective a replacement they'll be.

How so? I like them just because they literally threw a bomb bay on the back of a 737 which is :black101:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Live stream of final Doolittle Raiders toast.

http://www.af.mil/live

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hey I just bought a new smiley.

It's :pilot:

pilot

It's going to be awesome in this thread.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Tomorrow I depart on a trip that takes 4 flights to each my destination and involves 26 hours of travel time, the longest leg being ~14 hours. The longest flight I've ever taken was FCO to IAD at about 9 hours.

Any advice? Currently I'll be sitting in 19D on a United 744 for the long segment which is a bulkhead aisle E+ seat. I considered 59J for the extra arm space but decided I'd rather sit up further and have a tray not attached to a seat back.

Unfortunately the seats have no power or personal entertainment so I'm bringing my iPad and an external battery plus two laptops.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Jealous Cow posted:

Tomorrow I depart on a trip that takes 4 flights to each my destination and involves 26 hours of travel time, the longest leg being ~14 hours. The longest flight I've ever taken was FCO to IAD at about 9 hours.

Any advice? Currently I'll be sitting in 19D on a United 744 for the long segment which is a bulkhead aisle E+ seat. I considered 59J for the extra arm space but decided I'd rather sit up further and have a tray not attached to a seat back.

Unfortunately the seats have no power or personal entertainment so I'm bringing my iPad and an external battery plus two laptops.

Drink heavily plus sedation. I would not want to be cognizant for that itinerary.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Pop a sedative/hypnotic and try to sleep.

Walk around a bit every so often.

Find the inevitable screaming children and underhand bowl them down the aisle into the aft galley.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm an east coster and it'll be about 1AM my time when the 14 hour segment departs. I'm trying to decide if I should take something and attempt sleep shortly after takeoff or try to hang on as long as possible. I don't sleep well on planes generally.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm an east coster and it'll be about 1AM my time when the 14 hour segment departs. I'm trying to decide if I should take something and attempt sleep shortly after takeoff or try to hang on as long as possible. I don't sleep well on planes generally.

Booze helps.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I really don't mind 24 hour flights. One season of The Wire or Deadwood, plus some booze, a couple meals, and a few laps around the cabin. Plus, they usually have Alien on IFE.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I have the misfortune of a lot of longass international travel. A 14 hour flight usually only spends 12 or so in the air, and you should be asleep for at least 8 of that. Don't leave it to chance- take something and SLEEP. The more you sleep, the quicker the flight goes.

Everyone copes differently, but my favorite is to both hydrate and piss right before boarding the plane, then stay awake until the meal comes, down a sominex and three ibuprofins with the meal, use earplugs and a sleep mask, wrap myself up cozy in the blanket, and be asleep before they clear my tray. Right about the time it's wearing off, they'll be doing the mid-flight snack services, which jostles me awake and do it again. I'll sleep usually 8-10hrs of a 12+hr flight and it's rare I even get up, even to take a piss. Protips: no caffeine during or before the flight, it'll keep you up. I don't usually drink alcohol on the plane either, even when it's free, cos it'll dehyrate while simultaneously making you want to piss. I do always refill my water bottle before I board the plane so that I'll have something to drink while waiting in line at customs/immigration; a few seconds to dip out to take a piss or hit a fountain between the plane and customs can mean (many) extra minutes waiting in line.

Protips: have your pills, earplugs and sleeping mask ready; I like to travel with shirts with breast pockets for the convenience. I wear contacts, so I also keep eye-drops handy to rehydrate me contacts. If you have the opportunity, try to sleep when it's night at your destination; it may be be 1am local time, but it's probably mid-afternoon where you're headed - if you can stay awake the first 4 hours and sleep the next 8, that may be your best option. Next best thing is to just get whatever sleep you can get on the plane because it's going to be lovely quality sleep and you can use sleeping pills the night you arrive, too. Even just resting with your eyes closed seems to help; from experience, I kinda rule of thumb it as 4 hours of fitful/non-sleep on a plane is worth about 2 hours of actual sleep. Also, 4 hours of actual sleep on a plane seems to only really be worth 2 hours of regular real sleep but that might just be be.

grover fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 10, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I flew a 19.6 hour sortie in 2011 so all of you shut the gently caress up.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

holocaust bloopers posted:

I flew a 19.6 hour sortie in 2011 so all of you shut the gently caress up.
Pft, Norfolk-Guam spends more time in the air than that and I've done that flight more times than I care to remember. I'd way rather have it in a single go than keep breaking it up with lovely layovers.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

mlmp08 posted:

Live stream of final Doolittle Raiders toast.

http://www.af.mil/live

Wish I still lived in Dayton and could attend.

We had a dining-out at the museum when I was stationed there, it was pretty awesome.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

hobbesmaster posted:

How so? I like them just because they literally threw a bomb bay on the back of a 737 which is :black101:

Maritime patrol is largely about maximum endurance at low speed and low altitude. The P-3 excelled at this. Whether a swept-wing jet built for efficiency at 30,000 feet will be as good at this remains to be seen. Flying on the deck over ocean also beats the piss out of the airframe, and it remains to be seen how well a (modified) high-altitude passenger jet frame handles it. The US variants don't even get the MAD, although this is less of a big deal than it sounds.

It's a similar argument to replacing the A-10 with something faster, higher flying, and not as tough. But the A-10 loses out because the modern battlefield will be saturated with air-denial weapons its armor and redundancy can't protect against; the only defense will (theoretically) be stealth. Maritime patrol operates in an essentially completely permissive environment (and the rare times where it theoretically doesn't, good luck surviving in any of the big airframes) and subhunting is a minuscule portion of what a maritime patrol aircraft will spend its life doing, particularly vice flying low over choppy seas with the crew looking out the window for civilian ships in distress.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Can't an increasing number of subs also fire AA rocketry while submerged? That's gotta be fun.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Can't an increasing number of subs also fire AA rocketry while submerged? That's gotta be fun.

Then you know theres a sub there so mission accomplished!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Then you know theres a sub there so mission accomplished!
Shittest engagement window in the history of poo poo, though!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

Maritime patrol is largely about maximum endurance at low speed and low altitude. The P-3 excelled at this. Whether a swept-wing jet built for efficiency at 30,000 feet will be as good at this remains to be seen. Flying on the deck over ocean also beats the piss out of the airframe, and it remains to be seen how well a (modified) high-altitude passenger jet frame handles it. The US variants don't even get the MAD, although this is less of a big deal than it sounds.

Also, the irony of this is that the P-3 is a variant of a high altitude air liner.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's a similar argument to replacing the A-10 with something faster, higher flying, and not as tough. But the A-10 loses out because the modern battlefield will be saturated with air-denial weapons its armor and redundancy can't protect against; the only defense will (theoretically) be stealth. Maritime patrol operates in an essentially completely permissive environment (and the rare times where it theoretically doesn't, good luck surviving in any of the big airframes) and subhunting is a minuscule portion of what a maritime patrol aircraft will spend its life doing, particularly vice flying low over choppy seas with the crew looking out the window for civilian ships in distress.

I cant wait for the first F-35 to get blown out of the sky over brown town by some local with an ancient old AAA emplacement.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

My school used to fly a T-28 as a storm penetrator, and retired it in 2005. There is work being done to refurb an A-10 to be used as a storm penetrator instead (with the work being done by the navy no less).

There's some info here http://www.cirpas.org/a10spa.html but I haven't been able to find much from the past year or two though.

e. Here's a PDF with some pictures and the state of the project from last year, with (small) pics of the actual a-10 that they were given.

http://www.unols.org/meetings/2012/201207sco/201208scoap09c.pdf

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Worst thing about 14 hour flights is that you get sick of watching movies, and the IFE usually don't have full seasons of TV shows. But not many ways to get to Australia from NYC without a long flight or two.