Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Somm is a documentary about four guys studying for and taking the masters Sommelier exam, so basically 4 guys who are ludicrously passionate about wine. Not the best doc I've seen but very engrossing.

Just watched it and I really liked it.

SGT Kabukiman:NYPD, its amazingly bad but very watchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Somm is a documentary about four guys studying for and taking the masters Sommelier exam, so basically 4 guys who are ludicrously passionate about wine. Not the best doc I've seen but very engrossing.

If it doesn't have a scene where they give the guys white wine that's been dyed red and they start spouting a bunch of red wine adjectives or huge detailed explanations of why wine that was bottled during certain phases of the moon are objectively more delicious then no deal.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If it doesn't have a scene where they give the guys white wine that's been dyed red and they start spouting a bunch of red wine adjectives or huge detailed explanations of why wine that was bottled during certain phases of the moon are objectively more delicious then no deal.

What movie is that? It sounds hillarious.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

psyopmonkey posted:

What movie is that? It sounds hillarious.

It's not from a movie, those are legitimate things that actual wine people believe in/have fallen prey to. They're like the audiophiles of the food world.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Flight was pretty meh.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kraps posted:

Flight was pretty meh.

What is Flight, exactly? From the commercials, I'm under the impression that it's 90 minutes of Denzel Washington talking about planes and wrestling with a flight yoke.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What is Flight, exactly? From the commercials, I'm under the impression that it's 90 minutes of Denzel Washington talking about planes and wrestling with a flight yoke.

That pretty much sums up maybe the first 5-10 minutes.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Haven't watched it yet but I think it would be more accurate to say "wrestling with crippling alcoholism".

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

On the bright side, I just got an email stating that Skyfall had been added so there's something good.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You're supposed to feel bad for a guy who shows up to his job as a pilot all drunk and coked out. But it's okay, because drugs make him fly the plane well enough to a degree that actual pilots say is impossible to pull off even if you're not totally hammered.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Nov 11, 2013

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Celery Face posted:

You're supposed to feel bad for a guy who shows up to his job as a pilot all drunk and coked out. But it's okay, because drugs make him fly the plane well enough to a degree that actual pilots say is impossible to pull off if you're totally hammered.

Well no, I took it to mean that he's just that good. The coke just helps him recover from hangovers. But yeah, he's a pretty not nice person.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's not from a movie, those are legitimate things that actual wine people believe in/have fallen prey to. They're like the audiophiles of the food world.

I desperately want a Penn and Tellers Bullshit like show on wine tasting. It's the most widely believed bullshit subjective quality measurement out there. I had someone who tried to passionately argue that wine experts can tell exactly what year a wine was bottle the first time they ever taste it.

There's good wine and bad wine, but the hype over some 1976 Montrachet being worth $12,000 a bottle has nothing to do with taste or quality but with rarity.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

pentyne posted:

I desperately want a Penn and Tellers Bullshit like show on wine tasting. It's the most widely believed bullshit subjective quality measurement out there. I had someone who tried to passionately argue that wine experts can tell exactly what year a wine was bottle the first time they ever taste it.

There's good wine and bad wine, but the hype over some 1976 Montrachet being worth $12,000 a bottle has nothing to do with taste or quality but with rarity.

There's a Roald Dahl short story you might like called Taste that makes fun of wine tasting.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There's an episode of Lupin III where they go through a lot of trouble to steal a super rare/old wine and put a fake in it's place. The wine was going to be opened by the President for a Christmas dinner or something, and was televised. The Lupin gang watches it on TV drinking the real one themselves, while the President and guests drinking the fake. And of course, the real one tastes totally horrible and the fake was fine.

Probably remembering details wrong but what was the gist of it. Hilarious ending.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Does the hype over rare wine annoy you people more than the hype over rare coins or certain collectibles or something like that? Really? If so, why is that?

On topic: Flight is good. Watch it. It's more about dealing with addiction than anything else.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

cheerfullydrab posted:

Does the hype over rare wine annoy you people more than the hype over rare coins or certain collectibles or something like that? Really? If so, why is that?

Well, the hype over things like rare coins is usually based entirely around the fact that they are rare and/or old. Collectors don't pretend that they have intrinsically "better" qualities than more common coins; on the contrary, a lot of rare and valuable stamps are only of any interest because they were misprinted. But people who hype rare wine don't hype it just on the grounds that it's rare or expensive; they claim it has some quality that makes it intrinsically tastier and better than regular wine. Other rare things are prized for their rarity, which they actually have; expensive wine is often prized for what is supposed to be its unparalleled taste, which it doesn't actually have.

Plus, buying old rare coins isn't entirely throwing money away, since you can always resell them later (and they may even be worth more by then, being even older). But once you drink expensive wine, it's gone and you'll never get it back. Which means that anyone drinking expensive wine is burning huge amounts of their own money. There's a lot of resentment toward people who are both rich enough to be able to throw that much money away and snobbish enough to actually do so.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Well, the hype over things like rare coins is usually based entirely around the fact that they are rare and/or old. Collectors don't pretend that they have intrinsically "better" qualities than more common coins; on the contrary, a lot of rare and valuable stamps are only of any interest because they were misprinted. But people who hype rare wine don't hype it just on the grounds that it's rare or expensive; they claim it has some quality that makes it intrinsically tastier and better than regular wine. Other rare things are prized for their rarity, which they actually have; expensive wine is often prized for what is supposed to be its unparalleled taste, which it doesn't actually have.

Plus, buying old rare coins isn't entirely throwing money away, since you can always resell them later (and they may even be worth more by then, being even older). But once you drink expensive wine, it's gone and you'll never get it back. Which means that anyone drinking expensive wine is burning huge amounts of their own money. There's a lot of resentment toward people who are both rich enough to be able to throw that much money away and snobbish enough to actually do so.
There are lots of expensive rare coins that are expensive partially because they are pretty. Also, people who buy those extremely expensive wines aren't buying them to drink, they're buying them for the same reasons you buy any other collectible. You seem to be saying that something you don't really understand is stupid. Specifically the idea that certain wines have a je ne sais quoi.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

All five seasons of Leverage have been put back on. It's one of those rare TV shows where I feel the pilot is a strong indicator of the quality of the show, so I suggest you check it out. Personally I love it.

A grieving insurance investigator is hired to steal back proprietary information and puts together a team of thieves to do it. When they're double-crossed they band together to get even, and then realize they like helping people with their talents as much as they liked stealing.

It's a lighthearted show that is driven by the budding relationships between the team members. The bad guys always get what's coming to them and there's always a fun twist involved. It's formulaic and episodic but the writing and the cast allow it to rise above its premise.

Also is guest stars Wil Wheaton as evil hacker Kaos trying to steal Christmas. What's not to love?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Tom Tucker posted:

All five seasons of Leverage have been put back on. It's one of those rare TV shows where I feel the pilot is a strong indicator of the quality of the show, so I suggest you check it out. Personally I love it.

A grieving insurance investigator is hired to steal back proprietary information and puts together a team of thieves to do it. When they're double-crossed they band together to get even, and then realize they like helping people with their talents as much as they liked stealing.

It's a lighthearted show that is driven by the budding relationships between the team members. The bad guys always get what's coming to them and there's always a fun twist involved. It's formulaic and episodic but the writing and the cast allow it to rise above its premise.

Also is guest stars Wil Wheaton as evil hacker Kaos trying to steal Christmas. What's not to love?

When I first heard about Leverage, I stayed away from it because I think it sounded like a somewhat dark show from it's description. I'm not against dark shows, mind you, it just didn't seem like the kind of thing TBS would handle well. Then I watched the pilot and found out that, for a show about an insurance agent who turns to a life of crime (and alcohol) after the death of his son, it's incredibly light hearted, warm, and fun. The cast is amazing, their chemistry is spot on, and it's the heist show I've always wished we had. I'll miss it now that it's gone.

Everyone who hasn't yet should definitely try the pilot. You're right, it's a very strong indicator of what the show is like for it's entire run. And it has a satisfying finale.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

pentyne posted:

Watch somm, it makes you respect it a little more

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Wow thank you for the Leverage recoms. Awesome stuff.

"It's got a very distinctive style."

Kraps has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Nov 11, 2013

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

It's a distinctive show...

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

It's stupid to think every wine tastes the same, they don't and once you have a taste for wine you notice this. I think what gets most people riled up is the idea that just because it's a $1200 bottle of wine from 1976 it's going to be some sort of orgasmic experience. It's going to taste pretty good but probably not $1000 better than a $200 bottle.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Celery Face posted:

You're supposed to feel bad for a guy who shows up to his job as a pilot all drunk and coked out. But it's okay, because drugs make him fly the plane well enough to a degree that actual pilots say is impossible to pull off even if you're not totally hammered.

Someone being the main character does not mean you are supposed to feel sympathy or pity for them. And the entire point of the movie is that people are flawed and talent and success and addiction and weakness of character are not mutually exclusive qualities. The movie is about addiction but it's also about the societal idealization of people who commit heroic acts.

A message that is kind of poo poo on by the terrible ending where he becomes a cliche noble hero, but still. Up to that point it is solid.

pentyne posted:

Mythbusters did an episode with a professional vodka taster and he was able to rank them all by quality (price) perfectly. Identifying year is totally bullshit though.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Someone being the main character does not mean you are supposed to feel sympathy or pity for them. And the entire point of the movie is that people are flawed and talent and success and addiction and weakness of character are not mutually exclusive qualities. The movie is about addiction but it's also about the societal idealization of people who commit heroic acts.

A message that is kind of poo poo on by the terrible ending where he becomes a cliche noble hero, but still. Up to that point it is solid.
My dad sure as hell missed the point of the movie then. He thought it was about a perfect hero who flies planes like a sci fi character despite being coked up and hammered and then the evil justice system throws him in jail just to save the airline company's reputation and not because he endangers hundreds of lives every time he goes to work. My dad also thought it would be okay if real life pilots did their job all drugged up because of Denzel Washington's character.

Not saying Flight is a bad movie, just that some people can be pretty stupid.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
While it wasn't anything groundbreaking, Europa Report was a really well-constructed and visually awesome sci-fi thriller.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I just watched "How To Be A Serial Killer" quite funny.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Celery Face posted:

My dad sure as hell missed the point of the movie then. He thought it was about a perfect hero who flies planes like a sci fi character despite being coked up and hammered and then the evil justice system throws him in jail just to save the airline company's reputation and not because he endangers hundreds of lives every time he goes to work. My dad also thought it would be okay if real life pilots did their job all drugged up because of Denzel Washington's character.

Not saying Flight is a bad movie, just that some people can be pretty stupid.

:catstare:

Well, that is certainly a thing.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Crow Jane posted:

While it wasn't anything groundbreaking, Europa Report was a really well-constructed and visually awesome sci-fi thriller.

I actually kind of loved this flick. Very cool cinematography if nothing else!

Just watched Dead Man Down, crime thriller with Noomi Rapace and Colin Farrell, directed by the guy that made the original Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I had never heard of it and I'm not particularly a Colin Farrell fan, but I am a Noomi Rapace fan. I was surprised, pretty solid crime thriller!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Season 5 of Doc Martin has been up since the start of october and Netlfix didn't email me? I rated it five stars and had watched all the episodes. God drat it's getting really bad at sending the "new episodes are available" emails.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Season 5 of Doc Martin has been up since the start of october and Netlfix didn't email me? I rated it five stars and had watched all the episodes. God drat it's getting really bad at sending the "new episodes are available" emails.

I use What's New On Netflix, if you subscribe to their RSS feed you know everything that's added, every day.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Hellevator is a bad movie I guess but it's very entertaining. Super low budget Japanese sci-fi set almost entirely in an elevator. The CG effects are terrible and some of the acting is stiff but I really enjoyed it for what it was. Apparently everyone who was in the movie was working for free.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Overbite posted:

Hellevator is a bad movie I guess but it's very entertaining. Super low budget Japanese sci-fi set almost entirely in an elevator. The CG effects are terrible and some of the acting is stiff but I really enjoyed it for what it was. Apparently everyone who was in the movie was working for free.

You're really selling that hard, aren't you?

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
Skyfall just went up. I'm a huge James Bond fan, so despite its various quirks, I was greatly pleased with it. It's basically a big love letter to the franchise's history, and pretty effectively gives the modern-day Daniel Craig "Pitbull" Bond a bit of old school Connery-era swagger. Big action, secret lairs, over-the-top villain. Lots of fun.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

Skyfall just went up. I'm a huge James Bond fan, so despite its various quirks, I was greatly pleased with it. It's basically a big love letter to the franchise's history, and pretty effectively gives the modern-day Daniel Craig "Pitbull" Bond a bit of old school Connery-era swagger. Big action, secret lairs, over-the-top villain. Lots of fun.

Watching it now. It was such a pleasant change after Quantum of Solace. Especially with the call forwards to Bond working out of Universal Exports, M's classic office, etc.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Watched Fire with Fire. Pretty middling, even with Josh Duhamel, who I've really liked since watching 2 seasons of Las Vegas, and Bruce Willis, who mostly just talks on the phone and does his smirk.

Motley
Nov 1, 2013

Sock The Great posted:

Best In Show, number 2 in my opinion to This Is Spinal Tap for mockumentary.

There's also a ton of MST3K now on Instant Streaming, if that's your thing.

This is absolutely great. It's really hilarious, the best of the mockup entries in my opinion, although This Is Spinal Tap is great too.

Motley
Nov 1, 2013
Recently watched Hustle and Flow. It's about a pimp/drug dealer who essentially has a midlife crisis and decides to try his hand at being a rap artist. I liked it alright. It was entertaining, I at least recommend checking it out.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Motley posted:

Recently watched Hustle and Flow. It's about a pimp/drug dealer who essentially has a midlife crisis and decides to try his hand at being a rap artist. I liked it alright. It was entertaining, I at least recommend checking it out.

If it helps encourage people to watch this, Hustle and Flow was the movie that won Three Six Mafia an Oscar. It's a good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

Uhh, the original James Bond (in the novels,) was the pitbull. Connery-era was super watered-down and genteel. Which makes this even more laughable http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1858469/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_7

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is a pretty funny recount of one such prank/experiment. http://freakonomics.com/2010/12/16/freakonomics-radio-do-more-expensive-wines-taste-better.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Mythbusters did an episode with a professional vodka taster and he was able to rank them all by quality (price) perfectly. Identifying year is totally bullshit though.
There's probably something of a big difference between vodka and wine tasting.

• Locked thread