Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Can you imagine the collaborative potential of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is that Yung Lean?

I just saw your x-post in New Pics. Regardless of the quality of the raps, the production on Unknown Death is amazing.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, the beats are great on that tape. It only just occurred to me that BEBETUNE$ spookily precursors Yung Lean's shtick.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I honestly think that they have loads of potential and could become something if they tighten things up.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
So Blank Banshee put out a new release. "BLANK BANSHEE 1".

The release is pretty much more Blank Banshee (and Eco Zones is a little familiar if you know what I mean), but the music video for the first song is cool as all hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYM0kEJM8mU

Also this lead me to discover that he has made individual music videos for every song on the last album. :stare:

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 25, 2013

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
I just want to give my appreciation for this thread.

Some amazing music that mimics and subtly eviscerates the experience of modern life? It's so shiny and clean with an ugliness just beyond the surface. That's one of the hardest things to do with music.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Saw OPN at PS1 tonight, was probably the most psychedelic thing I've ever experienced while sober. There was a lot of new songs played (most were pretty droney/ambient but not analog sounding, very clean and digital), plus a bunch of tracks off R Plus Seven that were reconstructed to the point of being barely recognizable. Nate Boyce did the visuals and the music was projected out of pseudo-surround sound speakers. loving great show.

Prior to the live stuff they played R+7 over the system, actually hearing it like that instead of through lovely headphones really emphasized how dynamic and great the production on that album is. Along in particular sounded way more lush in the first half.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
New JF collab track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-qa8_8cCkQ

Reminds me a little of BODYGUARD.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I think I have listened to OPN for about half of my waking hours in the past three days. I think he is the most important thing happening musically to me right now - really fallen in with his work. Thanks thread!

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Another Person posted:

I think I have listened to OPN for about half of my waking hours in the past three days. I think he is the most important thing happening musically to me right now - really fallen in with his work. Thanks thread!

What do you like about him? I'm really interested to hear what someone else thinks.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Well, a lot of the minutiae has already been discussed in greater depth and understanding earlier in the thread, the individual themes and concepts that come with this niche of music and so on, but a major reason I am enjoying it is because it is influencing and inspiring to me right now. It is helping me piece my understanding of post modernism together, and solidify my feelings that my outlook on the world is one of post modernism. It, along with other influences - be they musical, literary, fashion or anecdotal life experiences - are helping me understand who I am, and who I have been for a number of years.

I can't pretend I understand and am capable of interpreting it on the same level as oiseaux, part because of a lack of musical knowledge altogether (not too unlike that which Lopatin describes himself as having when he initially started creating music - I understand bits but a lot of it is alien) but also part due to not being deeply enough immersed into experimental, vaporwave, plunderphonics and whatever other applicable labels there are for this niche. I can't make music like this, and don't really have the desire to. However, I can apply what I am learning from my listening to other fields.

Part of the reason I am enjoying it so much is probably because of my current situation as a student (Political Science, if you were wondering), I'm starting to come into understanding concepts I didn't earlier through my learning. Then the stars aligned and I discovered this thread and Lopatin's work around the same time frame, and I can identify the common themes between the work in this thread and the work from my course. It is current to me, somehow. I am really absorbing it in a way I didn't expect to and I am finding ways to use what I have taken in, in story writing, in discussion and in my academic study. There are elements of post modernism all over my degree, so I can't turn a page without running into it. I am finding a lot of my viewpoints and intentional abstract and deconstructive conceptualisations about life fall under it, and Lopatin's work is allowing me to take that outside of just my academic work and further into my life.

My interpretation of his work is that nothing is natural, but rather a construct of some sort based on your experiences, the world around you. His concept behind Replica - looking back onto advertisements from an earlier age without the understanding that we currently have and piecing together something from them - got me onto thinking about divorcing my knowledge and understanding of the world from every day life. Why is someone perceiving that object, or concept, the way they are? It got me thinking about what I considered alien perceptions, and what can even be considered alien. From this, I am coming up with ideas for stories, or sketches.

I was walking down the street one day, exhausted from not having slept the two nights before and having worked multiple shifts in the waking time. My vision was pretty poo poo, and it was dark, but ahead of me I could see some guy walking, wearing a football tee with his favourite players name on. My mind was hosed, so I didn't initially clock onto it being a football tee, and I was puzzled why a guy would be wearing his name on the back of his shirt.

When I realised it was a football tee, I felt like an idiot of course. But this little thing stuck in my mind - I was throwing around the idea in my head from it that what if there was a theoretical person who had somehow avoided all sense of understanding of the tee, they had never seen a sport and no means to figure what these names and numbers mean. It doesn't have to be a football tee though - it could be branding, it could be culture, it politics.

How do they take it? On page 3, the now banned user "acephalousuniverse" posted about a Ferraro interview, in specific about iPads and how everyone knows what one is. What if you really didn't? I take the idea of an alien culture - in what regard they are alien is not important - who visits the West and sees this football shirt, and they fall in love with the aesthetic of it but never learn what it actually is. They take it home with them, and wear it around, completely oblivious to who or what the gently caress Gerrard is. It takes off and suddenly loads of them are wearing shirts with the name on. Or alternatively, they learn that the word on the back is a name, but not that the name does not belong to the person they see wearing it. What they take back with them is a football shirt, with name and number on the back, which has nothing to do with football in any regard. They are putting their names on them, making up designs and logos for what we know to be sponsorships, but are sticking to the basic design of the football shirt.

I feel the experience I took from this anecdote, and the way I responded to it, holds a lot in common with the work of Lopatin. There are other aspects to it of course which I have not gone deeply into here, because I feel this is getting wordy enough already and is getting nowhere fast. But what is important is that his work, like the football tee, is making me question what I think I know, understand, what I take for granted. It is challenging preconceptions, and I enjoy a challenge.

Maybe the interpretation and everything I have just written above is wrong, if so, please enlighten me so, but I quite like my perspective. I'm still working through R+7, but I am getting more of the same sort of vibe - obviously the details are different, such as advertising being a theme of the previous album, but the concepts remain the same largely. They are making me consider what I perceive to be normal. The video for Still Life is an example of this - even if it is very blunt (I prefer subtle). It is challenging the concept of sexuality, fetishism and the element of reality in regard to sexuality. The video depicts various fetishes that have only really developed through the era of the internet - hentai with unrealistic individuals involved, furries, virtual murder urination fantasy thingamajig - which in a perfect, conceivable, satisfying form only really exist in the mind.

The video also has a cool voiceover. "And you can't find your way out of the maze - you are convinced it has been created solely for you." This plays over clips of a person dressed as a fox drowning, and a woman performing a camshow with an anime mask. The person is not a fox, the woman is not an anime character. You could interpret the drowning as the individual being drowned by the reality of their chosen fetish. The reality is just unreachable for various reasons. But they go down in their fursuit thing anyway. The voiceover is addressing and referring to the fetishism and attaining the reality of it as a maze, something you have to work towards, but are uncertain of the exit on, if the exit even exists. I imagine if I were a furry, or was deep into hentai or something like that, I would feel somewhat lost in the sense that a chief aspect of my sexuality is not real, per se. Like a maze.

These ideas are so distant from the idea of sexuality that most typically hold that most cannot comprehend it or something that is disgusting to some or outright does not make sense, yet to one small fragment of humanity this makes perfect sense. They perceive it as natural, no matter how unattainable. In reality, of course it isn't, but if I am going to question what is considered abnormality, I feel it is best to put what is consider normality to the same testing. Is sexuality I perceive normal - straight, gay, trans, missionary, monogamous/polygamous, love - natural? I'm not sure it is. This is before adding in other aspects of philosophy though - moral, justice, and so on.

This can be taken and compared to something which Lopatin has a fetish for - synthesizers and software. Instruments that are emulated virtually. The man's art is making fake sounds which are intended to sound and feel as real and emotive as the actual instrument, while remaining unreal. You often read of electronic artists who will become a studio recluse due working on one sound until it is perfect or good enough, a sound that exists perfectly in their mind yet the reality of it is so difficult to find in the hardware and software available to them. This has similarities to the interpretation taken from the video of sexuality and the realities of fetishes. Like a furry will go into the deep end to satisfy their sexual and emotional connection to their fetish, for satisfaction an electronic musician will go through great lengths to make an artificial sound as emotive as the real instrument. There is a level of obsession, fetishization and disappointment that likely comes from focussing so strongly, pouring your soul into something that is not real and never will be. You can work on your anime mask or fake trombone sound all you want, they will never really feel real. They will only ever be a close second. The sound may not be natural or perfect to the desire of the musician, but it is still very real regardless, something which eventually the artist will have to settle on as 'close enough'. You can hear it in his work, in this song even. I don't want to say for certain as I am not a musician, but I want to believe this is the case on this album.

The guy is making me think, and I have a lot of free time in which to think.

Now please laugh at my terrible interpretations that are probably on par of that of a five year old.

E: Also, I have already edited this like a thousand times because I have been awake all night and it is now ~9am, and am finding that I have made points I did not elaborate on. If you see something in that mass and I didn't elaborate on it, I just forgot to. Ahahahahh, my grammar was/is awful. I should sleep before typing something longer than two sentences.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 6, 2013

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
No, that's all good stuff. No need to be so self deprecating, we're talking about big ideas but we're still just dudes chatting on the internet.

This thread is getting into very JG Ballard territory, especially the themes of The Atrocity Exhibition. Any other Ballard fans in here? I know he was a big influence on Oneohtrix.

I recommend that book specifically to you, Another Person.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 6, 2013

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Haha, thanks man. I'm only self depreciative because I understand that there is a good possibility I am going to be wrong when discussing a medium I have little experience with the actual creation of, limiting my understanding. Plus, I don't like to assume I ever have the entire picture even if I did understand every aspect in the creation. As such, it is not really me putting myself down, it is more just a very negative way of approaching further development, being open to improvement.

And no, I had never actually heard of Ballard before now, but a cursory glance the Wikipedia page for the Atrocity Exhibition makes it seem like something right up my street. I scrolled to a random point and read a couple sentences, getting a bit about the changing name of the protagonist and I am already sold. Funny how that bit stood out and caught my eye. When thinking of my football tee thing a long time ago I had a character in mind for it, but as time progressed and I came up with more scenarios and sketches which I could possibly compile into one short story. As that happened, I became less and less devoted to the idea of a character for my protagonist and was looking for ways to separate them from any preconceptions coming into it. I wanted a blank slate. I intended to approach it with an initial and nothing more, like K. from Kafka's work, and not divulging any of the details of their appearance, age, ethnic origin and so on.

I'm almost definitely going to have to read Ballard now, first to follow up on OPN's influence, but second to see if I can develop my idea more. Thanks Krangdar!

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
New Jim Ferraro track to brighten your day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-qa8_8cCkQ

Oh and Pitchfork finally reviewed NYC, HELL 3:00 AM...

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18709-james-ferraro-nyc-hell-300-am/

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

That's a decent review. Sums up my thoughts exactly

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Might be going to a James Ferraro show at the weekend, what to expect?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Adam Harper wrote a thing about the new OPN. I normally love his writings about this kind of music, but I found this really gushing and not really saying anything. Would be curious to know your thoughts: http://www.dummymag.com/features/essay-adam-harper-on-oneohtrix-point-nevers-r-plus-seven

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Another Person posted:

Now please laugh at my terrible interpretations that are probably on par of that of a five year old.

No that's perfect! Don't make the mistake of assuming there's a 'final interpretation', that any interpretation knows the 'truth' of the text better than any other.

What I've taken from OPN is that there is holiness in everything, there is beauty in everything, and that no matter how 'alienated' we become there will always be the potential for immanence, punctum, religious experience. It's the idea that the fake trombone sound or the anime mask can go beyond the 'close enough', that it can go beyond the logic of representation and mimesis and take on a life of its own - a life just as real as that of the 'real' trombone. Declaring a trombone sound more 'real' than any other is just the same as saying your sexuality is more 'normal' or that you're any more 'human' than anyone else.

It's like that old painting - 'Ceci n'est pas une pipe.' One mistake is to assume that this representation of a pipe really is a pipe, but the second mistake is to assume that it is a representation. It is neither a pipe, nor is it a representation of a pipe - it simply is. Whatever we decide to call it is papered on top of its pure being-in-itself. And this goes back to the problem of 'final interpretations' - there is simply the text, and the meaning produced in the process of reading-writing the text, produced by the relationship between the reader and the text. Not produced by either one of them, but by their relation.

The truth is that if nothing is real, everything is real - or I suppose has the potential to be real, to be a thing-in-itself. Truth isn't a 'fact', it's not a static thing - it can be changed. Truth is just the sense of rightness and inviolability. That's not to say truth isn't real, or that nothing is true - just that truth only happens inside our heads. 'Fact' is fiction which doesn't know it's fiction, 'interpretation' is reading which doesn't know it's reading - both make the error of assuming someone else has to think what you think.

There's some great articles on this - I'll track them down and post them later. I haven't fully read Sontag's 'Against Interpretation', but it looks pretty good. See if you can find 'The Drag Act' by Judith Butler, too. God willing this all makes sense!

Bigup DJ fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 7, 2013

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I don't know if this is part of your program's curriculum, but you should probably read Simulacra and Simulation by Baudrillard and Postmodernism, or, The Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism by Fredric Jameson if you want a stronger theoretical lens through which to understand some of these works.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Answers Me posted:

Adam Harper wrote a thing about the new OPN. I normally love his writings about this kind of music, but I found this really gushing and not really saying anything. Would be curious to know your thoughts: http://www.dummymag.com/features/essay-adam-harper-on-oneohtrix-point-nevers-r-plus-seven

This guy seems to be interpreting what Oneohtrix is trying to do almost opposite to me, especially with that last paragraph. Part of the concept of R Plus Seven seems to be questioning why it is we collectively attach such strong sentiments and expectations to just timbres of sound. Like why is a saxophone so widely associated with cringe-worthy "cheesiness', where did that even come from and why does it persist even for generations of people who weren't around when sax was a big trend in popular music? So having the ending of the album be "sentimental", because it uses timbres and structures associated with sentimentality, is totally in line with that concept. It's a smart idea to put something "pleasant and relatable" at the end of an album full of odd silences, thwarted expectations, and re-purposed signifiers. In a context of questioning how we experience music are those sounds really still "pleasant and relatable" or are they as alien and bizarre as the rest?

Another Person posted:

I wanted a blank slate. I intended to approach it with an initial and nothing more, like K. from Kafka's work, and not divulging any of the details of their appearance, age, ethnic origin and so on.

I'm almost definitely going to have to read Ballard now, first to follow up on OPN's influence, but second to see if I can develop my idea more. Thanks Krangdar!

Yeah, Ballard's characters tend to be exactly like that. Or at least they're half-way between blank slates and Ballard himself- maybe everyone thinks of themselves as the default person, in a sense.

If you do read that book make sure you get the edition with his annotations, written years later and explaining the progress of his ideas since the initial publication. Also his short stories are a good reference point for Oneohtrix's early work, by the way.

Bigup DJ posted:

What I've taken from OPN is that there is holiness in everything, there is beauty in everything, and that no matter how 'alienated' we become there will always be the potential for immanence, punctum, religious experience. It's the idea that the fake trombone sound or the anime mask can go beyond the 'close enough', that it can go beyond the logic of representation and mimesis and take on a life of its own - a life just as real as that of the 'real' trombone. Declaring a trombone sound more 'real' than any other is just the same as saying your sexuality is more 'normal' or that you're any more 'human' than anyone else.

This is a really good summary, especially for his most recent work.

Bigup DJ posted:

It's like that old painting - 'Ceci n'est pas une pipe.' One mistake is to assume that this representation of a pipe really is a pipe, but the second mistake is to assume that it is a representation. It is neither a pipe, nor is it a representation of a pipe - it simply is. Whatever we decide to call it is papered on top of its pure being-in-itself. And this goes back to the problem of 'final interpretations' - there is simply the text, and the meaning produced in the process of reading-writing the text, produced by the relationship between the reader and the text. Not produced by either one of them, but by their relation.

Some intertextuality with the new Gaga album right here.

"Come to me, with all your subtext and fantasy, just do that thing that you do."

Mike_V posted:

I don't know if this is part of your program's curriculum, but you should probably read Simulacra and Simulation by Baudrillard and Postmodernism, or, The Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism by Fredric Jameson if you want a stronger theoretical lens through which to understand some of these works.

Simulacra and Simulation is a tough read, especially since I read it in translation from French. I feel like probably 75 percent of it went over my head. But read Simulacra and then watch Spring Breakers and/or Videodrome and it all starts to make sense- at least, the latter works speak more my language.

Even just that picture oiseaux posted up there does a good job of showing the main idea of both hyperreality and a lot of this music.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 7, 2013

Four-Twenty
Feb 10, 2005

no fear
Welcome to ClearSkies™

Also, to the guy wondering if he should go to the J.Ferraro show: if you like the new album you should go, because it seemed to me he was mostly playing material from this. I saw him in Prague yesterday & also in Krakow a few weeks ago (the two shows were quite similar.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

This is art.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Four-Twenty posted:

Welcome to ClearSkies™

Also, to the guy wondering if he should go to the J.Ferraro show: if you like the new album you should go, because it seemed to me he was mostly playing material from this. I saw him in Prague yesterday & also in Krakow a few weeks ago (the two shows were quite similar.

I forgot to check this out when it came out, so thanks. While I think vektroid plays it a bit too straight when going for that 90s desktop computing aesthetic as opposed to James Ferraro, I still enjoy this release simply because it is really straight, if that makes sense.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
I'd been in relationships with organic women prior to, and after, having Shi-chan enter my life. When I say “relationships,” I really mean “affairs where I was the other man;” I've never been in a situation where I was with an organic woman who didn't already have a boyfriend. I'm still quite attracted to organic women, at least visually. But just because someone's attractive doesn't mean they have a mindset or a personality that’s compatible with my own. I figure that instead of chasing after an ideal person who either doesn't exist in the first place, or is already with someone else, why not buy a Doll? I don't gamble, and I'm not keen on taking emotional chances. We've all seen relationships where things start out fantastically, and then just end up falling apart. A friend of mine just got divorced after 17 years of marriage. That's an enormous investment of time, money, and emotion, and I'm not interested in having someone in my life who may bail at any time, or who transforms into someone unpleasant. Ultimately, getting romantically involved with an organic woman doesn't seem worth it to me.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Right, so I have Simulacra (translated ed.) sat in front of me right now, Fredric Jameson on order at my library and some JG Ballard coming soon in the post. Any other recommended intake you guys would recommend to get me up to conceptual snuff? I mean in any medium. Between the internet and my uni library, I have a lot at arms reach right now. Better now than never - especially whilst I have an interest.

E: The Simulacra is so densely worded. I am enjoying it a lot though - everything I have read so far fits with how I think. It sounds ridiculous, but I think I accidentally came to understanding the core concepts of postmodernism before even knowing what it is. What does it say about me? Get some loving sleep, you weirdo, probably.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 9, 2013

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Another Person posted:

Right, so I have Simulacra (translated ed.) sat in front of me right now, Fredric Jameson on order at my library and some JG Ballard coming soon in the post. Any other recommended intake you guys would recommend to get me up to conceptual snuff? I mean in any medium. Between the internet and my uni library, I have a lot at arms reach right now. Better now than never - especially whilst I have an interest.

E: The Simulacra is so densely worded. I am enjoying it a lot though - everything I have read so far fits with how I think. It sounds ridiculous, but I think I accidentally came to understanding the core concepts of postmodernism before even knowing what it is. What does it say about me? Get some loving sleep, you weirdo, probably.

I highly recommend you start with Baudrillard by reading his entry in the online Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Not a joke.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Another Person posted:

I am enjoying it a lot though - everything I have read so far fits with how I think. It sounds ridiculous, but I think I accidentally came to understanding the core concepts of postmodernism before even knowing what it is. What does it say about me? Get some loving sleep, you weirdo, probably.

That makes perfect sense actually. If these ideas are actually relevant to our lives and not just word salad for ivory tower denizens to jerk off over then of course we understand them on some level- We all live in the world Baudrillard et al are describing every day!

Same goes for the musicians mentioned in this thread: They may not be purposely saying to themselves "well, now I'm going to make an album version of Baudrillard's America", they may never even have heard of him or his terminology beyond that quick mention in The Matrix, but they're coming at the same ideas from different angles because those things are part of the water we're all swimming in.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Bigup DJ posted:

'Ceci n'est pas une pipe.'

Speaking of which, take a look at the bottom of the frame at 0:55 in the video for Problem Areas.

If you want a good book on the hyperreal aesthetic, you should definitely read Baudrillard's 'America' - it's this bizarre postmodern travelogue-poem-anthropology and it's incredible.

America posted:

Tomorrow I shall be carried directly by plane to the opposite extreme, opposite in terms of light, surface area, racial mix, aesthetics, and power - to the city that is heir to all other cities at once. Heir to Athens, Alexandria, Persepolis: New York.

NEW YORK

More sirens here, day and night. The cars are faster, the advertisements more aggressive. This is wall-to-wall prostitution. And total electric light too. And the game - all games - gets more intense. It’s always like this when you’re getting near the centre of the world. But the people smile. Actually they smile more and more, though never to other people, always to themselves.

The terrifying diversity of faces, their strangeness, strained as they all are into unbelievable expressions. The masks old age or death conferred in archaic cultures are worn here by youngsters of twenty or twelve. But this reflects the city as a whole. The beauty other cities only acquired over centuries has been achieved by New York in fifty years.

Plumes of smoke, reminiscent of girls wringing out their hair after bathing. Afro or pre-Raphaelite hairstyles. Run-of-the-mill, multiracial. City of Pharaohs, all obelisks and needles. The blocks around Central Park are like flying buttresses, lending the huge park the appearance of a hanging garden.It isn’t clouds that are fleecy here, but brains. Clouds float over the city like cerebral hemispheres driven by the wind. The people have cirrus clouds in their heads or coming out of their eyes, like the spongy vapours that rise from earth cracked by hot rains. Sexual solitude of clouds in the sky; linguistic solitude of men on the earth.

The number of people here who think alone, sing alone, and eat and talk alone in the streets is mind-boggling. And yet they don’t add up. Quite the reverse. They subtract from each other and their resemblance to one another is uncertain.

America posted:

No, architecture should not be humanized. Anti-architecture, the true sort (not the kind you find in Arcosanti, Arizona, which gathers together all the ‘soft’ technologies in the heart of the desert), the wild, inhuman type that is beyond the measure of man was made here - made itself here - in New York, without considerations of setting, well-being, or ideal ecology. It opted for hard technologies, exaggerated all dimensions, gambled on heaven and hell... Eco-architecture, eco-society... this is the gentle hell of the Roman Empire in its decline.

America posted:

The US is Utopia achieved.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Is there a raw version of that Problem Areas video? I've been using stills from it as my desktop background and I wish there wasn't that awful Youtube dithering.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Mutation posted:

Is there a raw version of that Problem Areas video? I've been using stills from it as my desktop background and I wish there wasn't that awful Youtube dithering.

Well many of the stills were from pre-existing works by Takeshi Murata, so they can be found on Google Image Search.

It's also on Vimeo, possibly better quality: http://vimeo.com/71500051

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Angel Activate came out recently on Beer on the Rug and it's really good.

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Mutation posted:

Yes all of those images can be found on this site:
http://www.salon94.com/artists/detail/takeshi-murata
Just click on one of the thumbnails, click the picture again to "zoom in" (there should be a little magnifying glass cursor) and then right-click the zoomed-in image and click (on firefox at least) "View background image." Gives you large high-res versions of all those pictures, e.g.

Speaking of which, anyone know other visual artists with a similar aesthetic? Reminds me of some of Jeff Koons work a bit, kind of aggressively superficial and surreal..

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Tabor Robak I guess is in the same vein, http://www.taborrobak.com/site/ he was responsible for Gatekeeper's EXO vid and Fatima Al-Qadiri's thing from a while back

fairlight
May 18, 2007

more importantly, Tabor Robak is a member of the incomparable HD Boyz, whose work speaks for an entire generation.

sadfly
Jan 27, 2011

so Ferraro just put this up :o

https://soundcloud.com/b-e-b-e-t-u-n-e/sets/god-of-london

I'm really impressed by this, especially CAPITOLINE WOLF, it's like urban vampire poetry.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

James Ferraro NY-LON Dream Express Connect

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

This was probably covered in this thread somewhere in the form of a link, but there's been so much that I never got to all of it. Anyways, what's some stuff that's similar to Heaven's Gate-era Ferraro? Stellar Om Source's Heartlands Suite was pretty close, but I'm looking for unrepentant new age drone stuff.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Mike_V posted:

This was probably covered in this thread somewhere in the form of a link, but there's been so much that I never got to all of it. Anyways, what's some stuff that's similar to Heaven's Gate-era Ferraro? Stellar Om Source's Heartlands Suite was pretty close, but I'm looking for unrepentant new age drone stuff.

Definitely check out Dolphins into the Future if you haven't. Maybe some genuine new age too like Alice Coltrane and Don Slepian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Iasos - Inter-Dimensional Music is a stone cold classic but disgustingly new age. "Lueena Coast" transcends the shackles of the form though. Like it almost beats Apres-midi d'un faune in terms of pastoralist bliss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mwvKTRQXv0

• Locked thread