Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Anderson and company have been saying the same things for years now, if you look at the OP it's basically verbatim Klein's article including the comparison to the Soviet collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QUILT_MONSTER_420
Aug 22, 2013
nm

QUILT_MONSTER_420 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 28, 2013

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
That makes sense, Anderson is one of the few climate scholars out there who's really pushing in the literature for realistic policy assessments and targeting of wealthy first world energy demand. Interesting to see the bit on Anderson's blog about Joe Romm. Party flacks like Romm will be (continue to be, maybe) a huge obstacle for the green movement.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I'm having trouble reconciling some of the things that Klein is talking about in that excerpt with some of my preexisting knowledge. Specifically the incompatibility of GDP growth with climate mitigation. What about the Zero Carbon Australia plan? http://bze.org.au/zero-carbon-australia-2020 That's a ten year plan I believe, so you should be able to figure a 10 percent per year reduction in emissions. That plan also seems to promote GDP growth to me rather than hinder it.

The questions I'm left with are is the BZE plan for Australia incompatible with capitalism because:
1.) The energy expended to implement the plan would offset the gains in the short term, violating our carbon budget, and/or
2.) The current capitalist system would never accept this plan because entrenched interests will prevent it?

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
It's not a bad idea to drop Anderson a line and ask him what he thinks of the plan, whether it's feasible and so on. He's almost certainly aware of it. He's got twitter, too.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

TehSaurus posted:

I'm having trouble reconciling some of the things that Klein is talking about in that excerpt with some of my preexisting knowledge. Specifically the incompatibility of GDP growth with climate mitigation. What about the Zero Carbon Australia plan? http://bze.org.au/zero-carbon-australia-2020 That's a ten year plan I believe, so you should be able to figure a 10 percent per year reduction in emissions. That plan also seems to promote GDP growth to me rather than hinder it.

I think the basis of that (posited) incompatibility is more straightforward (or at least, broader) than that. I've seen the argument come up in a number of different forms from environmentalists, peak oil theorists etc., and I believe it does have some merit.

In your basic macroecon classes you're taught that GDPpc growth comes from technological progress, efficiency improvements and so on. However, according to the "no growth" argument, most of that 'technological progress' has been the result of continually expanding use of fossil fuels. The industrial society we live in is entirely dependent on energy. To grow the economy, we need more energy. If we are significantly reducing our carbon emissions, it's going to be hard enough to even replace the energy we are using, let alone add more.

I should point out that it's true that in a theoretical post-carbon ecotopia there would still be technological and efficiency improvements, and that would increase GDPpc. So I guess the key thing in this is that if we're ever to seriously cut our emissions (oh, and save the planet), we need to re-orient away from economic growth being the central goal of virtually all political policy, because otherwise it just isn't going to happen. Cutting carbon emissions quickly enough is going to require some hits to growth.

And really, is GDP growth a particularly good measure of "progress"?

I've not read the Zero Carbon Australia plan yet, think I'll read it later, I'm interested to see how feasible it is.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

The New Black posted:

I think the basis of that (posited) incompatibility is more straightforward (or at least, broader) than that. I've seen the argument come up in a number of different forms from environmentalists, peak oil theorists etc., and I believe it does have some merit.

In your basic macroecon classes you're taught that GDPpc growth comes from technological progress, efficiency improvements and so on. However, according to the "no growth" argument, most of that 'technological progress' has been the result of continually expanding use of fossil fuels. The industrial society we live in is entirely dependent on energy. To grow the economy, we need more energy. If we are significantly reducing our carbon emissions, it's going to be hard enough to even replace the energy we are using, let alone add more.

I should point out that it's true that in a theoretical post-carbon ecotopia there would still be technological and efficiency improvements, and that would increase GDPpc. So I guess the key thing in this is that if we're ever to seriously cut our emissions (oh, and save the planet), we need to re-orient away from economic growth being the central goal of virtually all political policy, because otherwise it just isn't going to happen. Cutting carbon emissions quickly enough is going to require some hits to growth.

And really, is GDP growth a particularly good measure of "progress"?

I've not read the Zero Carbon Australia plan yet, think I'll read it later, I'm interested to see how feasible it is.

The BZE plan is really thorough and aims to prove that the barriers to a zero carbon economy are neither technological or economic. You should take a look at it, it's pretty great. I'm sure I heard of it in a similar thread to this one somewhere in D&D. I believe it conflicts directly with a bunch of the statements you make here.

I would certainly be interested in what Anderson thinks about it, but am I really going to get on Twitter for that? A quick google didn't turn anything up so I don't think he's addressed it previously. Maybe I will contact him through his website or something.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
In the steady state thinking one of the main things is 'carrying capacity'. Herman Daley specifically left the World Bank (supposedly) because he kept including economy contextualized by carrying capacity, finite thermodynamic system, 'environment' and though there was agreement all such references were systematically deleted from World Bank reports. The concept of GDP as a measure usually functions in the absence of considerations or measurement of carrying capacity, as I understand (or misunderstand) it.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
It's worth noting that Anderson's claims are much more narrow and merely indicate that many sub-2 deg C change emissions reductions paths are deemed to be incompatible with growth by economists. That's more a statement about current economic theory and its inability to deal with rapid economic state shifts than it is one about thermoeconomic limits to growth, although I generally agree with Klein.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

TehSaurus posted:

The BZE plan is really thorough and aims to prove that the barriers to a zero carbon economy are neither technological or economic. You should take a look at it, it's pretty great. I'm sure I heard of it in a similar thread to this one somewhere in D&D. I believe it conflicts directly with a bunch of the statements you make here.

I would certainly be interested in what Anderson thinks about it, but am I really going to get on Twitter for that? A quick google didn't turn anything up so I don't think he's addressed it previously. Maybe I will contact him through his website or something.
The barriers to shifting most electricity production to renewables are neither technological nor economic, but if I'm reading the website correctly, the plan for dealing with the role of coal in the economy and the impacts of steel, aluminum etc. production is to eventually stop doing those things and figure out other things to do for profit instead. Well you may or may not be able to find alternatives, but either someone's going to take a growth hit because of that change, or someone else is going to fill the same production orders, and outcomes along that boundary aren't going to be as "efficient" from the GDP-maximization standpoint as before, because of a wide variety of costs associated with the change. The costs may work out in the long run, but in the medium term there's a lot of up-front costs for new renewable energy capacity, and whatever method of paying is chosen, some short-term growth reduction will result, and the breakeven and payout will be slow.

The position against the compatibility of growth and climate mitigation isn't based on the idea that renewable energy doesn't exist or doesn't work or whatever. Abstractly, growth in present-day society is the outcome of a relentless process of ongoing profit-seeking, and if you shut off any particular source of profits, the marginally next-preferred investments logically tend to be less profitable, at least in the short term. The amount of growth necessary to keep capitalist economies in good health and the amount of profitable activity that has to be curtailed to avoid 2C are both very quantitatively large, and it's not unreasonable that many economists who look at the problem feel there's no solution that manages both simultaneously. In any case I'm not that interested in the argument, since it's somewhat easier and more obvious to make the case that political power in capitalist societies is structured such that popular interference with profit maximization is systematically excluded from public arenas, and whether the accompanying economic system is or is not technically capable of something that is politically impossible is sort of a philosophical discussion.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

TehSaurus posted:

As I said, I hadn't at that time read the zero carbon plan and was merely outlining the broad idea of the "emissions reduction is incompatible with growth" argument. Having read their stationary energy plan, I'm now in a position to respond to it.

The plan doesn't really have much to say about macroeconomics. That's not really a problem for me, I'm just pointing out that they mainly compare costs of their plan with business as usual, showing that it is affordable (though I'd bet it would end up costing more, if only because major infrastructure projects always do) and projecting a break even point in the 2040s. They do discuss broader perspectives briefly in the "the ZCA2020 Stationary Energy Plan investment in the Context of other Economic Activity" section, but again, only by contrasting expenditure with other forms in the economy. I don't see any consideration of opportunity costs. The higher energy prices are going to reduce household and business spending elsewhere, even if the rise is relatively affordable. Bear in mind too that the workforce and productive capacity used in the construction won't come only from currently unused capacity. It will be at least partly drawn from other more productive (in GDP terms) activity. Further, consider the impact on the companies currently making money from carbon emissions. These kinds of effects are going to tend to depress GDP growth. Certainly, the government subsidies or public spending required to implement the plan will have a stimulative effect. My position is that without broader macroeconomic modelling it's hard to say what the net effect on growth will be in the short term.

All that said, if I were running Australia I'd start the plan tomorrow, because as I said I think it's more important than some arbitrary measure of economic activity.

e: oh, the previous dude already said most of that better.

QUILT_MONSTER_420
Aug 22, 2013
nm

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Not that I don't think this is a serious problem, but this is where we need to really think carefully about the way we do projections of climate and economy without taking into account their interactions:

quote:

It said the combined GDP of the 67 countries classed as facing "high" or "extreme" risks was projected to nearly triple from $15 trillion to $44 trillion by 2025 -- meaning nearly a third of the global economy would be coming under increasing threat from extreme climate-related events.

It seems less plausible that the GDP of these 67 countries is going to triple in ten years if they're also facing high to extreme risks from climate change.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Doesn't that depend on whether those events occur within the next ten years though? I could see them tripling GDP in the short term without getting hit by anything serious enough to knock it back, and even if they do then repairing the damage will still contribute to GDP (possibly paid for through borrowing on the national account).

I think the wider question is whether GDP is actually a useful measure for this kind of thing

QUILT_MONSTER_420
Aug 22, 2013
nm

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Paper Mac posted:

Not that I don't think this is a serious problem, but this is where we need to really think carefully about the way we do projections of climate and economy without taking into account their interactions:

It seems less plausible that the GDP of these 67 countries is going to triple in ten years if they're also facing high to extreme risks from climate change.
Well the numbers are of course not particularly important, but the fact that the regions that the global economy is relying on most heavily for growth are also facing higher than average risks from climate change doesn't bode well for the future health of that growth. I'm guessing that group probably includes several countries with large populations densely clustered in cities on coasts and rivers and several energy exporting countries (you probably can figure out the big ones I'm thinking of), and if the global industrial system loses access to its cheapest energy and labor resources in the areas where it has invested so much, that's going to cause problems. GDP projections are just a fairly-developed method of estimating the extent to which the future economy will rely on them.

this allusion meant fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 1, 2013

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It'd be hard to cite to that map as an argument against fighting climate change without looking like a giant racist rear end in a top hat. "Look, we all know no one give a poo poo about africa." They'll do it anyway of course.

QUILT_MONSTER_420
Aug 22, 2013
nm

QUILT_MONSTER_420
Aug 22, 2013
nm

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

this allusion meant and The New Black posted:

:words:

Hey thanks guys, these are exactly the kind of comments I was hoping to find. I guess in answer to my original question it's basically 'yes.' These kinds of plans are simply too disruptive and energy expensive to resolve the climate crisis without being disruptive to the political system, the climate, or both.

QUILT_MONSTER_420 posted:

Encouraging commentary.

This is actually pretty encouraging. We've started a garden in our rented yard and I feel like that for the amount of cost involved it can't have been that efficient from a carbon perspective, but it has been educational at least. At least it's a symbol that I'm trying to be constructive and maybe it'll encourage my neighbors or something.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

TehSaurus posted:

We've started a garden in our rented yard and I feel like that for the amount of cost involved it can't have been that efficient from a carbon perspective, but it has been educational at least.

What did you do that you figure was carbon-intensive?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I just have to guess based on what we spent. First the soil is terrible so we decided on a raised bed garden. Lots of people manage to do this with reclaimed lumber but we couldn't get our hands on anything suitable so we made them out of framing lumber. About 192 linear feet of 2x8 lumber along with some 4x4 and a bunch of deck screws. Since our own dirt is terrible we bought like three or four yards of soil from a local garden vendor. Then, since we are in Texas water efficiency was a big concern for us, so I decided to go with a subsurface irrigation as according to the ag extension sites I visited you wind up needing about half as much water that way. By itself that was easily a couple hundred in plastic and tools.

All of this for about 64 square feet of garden. Granted it should be really productive once I learn how to manage all the native pests, but it was quite expensive, and I just sort of equate money with carbon footprint.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

TehSaurus posted:

I just have to guess based on what we spent. First the soil is terrible so we decided on a raised bed garden. Lots of people manage to do this with reclaimed lumber but we couldn't get our hands on anything suitable so we made them out of framing lumber. About 192 linear feet of 2x8 lumber along with some 4x4 and a bunch of deck screws. Since our own dirt is terrible we bought like three or four yards of soil from a local garden vendor. Then, since we are in Texas water efficiency was a big concern for us, so I decided to go with a subsurface irrigation as according to the ag extension sites I visited you wind up needing about half as much water that way. By itself that was easily a couple hundred in plastic and tools.

All of this for about 64 square feet of garden. Granted it should be really productive once I learn how to manage all the native pests, but it was quite expensive, and I just sort of equate money with carbon footprint.

Oh hey, where in Texas are you? I did the same for my folks, and they live in North Texas. Ma grew up as a subsistence farmer, and has been gardening in Texas for the past decade or so with me and my sister as her help, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me, I know (or know who to ask) for growing in North Texas.

Protip: Corn is not worth it.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Claverjoe posted:

Oh hey, where in Texas are you? I did the same for my folks, and they live in North Texas. Ma grew up as a subsistence farmer, and has been gardening in Texas for the past decade or so with me and my sister as her help, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me, I know (or know who to ask) for growing in North Texas.

Protip: Corn is not worth it.

At the risk of derailing - we're in Central Texas, so probably a pretty similar climate. I'm curious to see if my winter vegetables are going to do anything. I've got some beets, onions, carrots and the like. They all seem to be taking off very slowly, so I'm not terribly optimistic.

For content is anyone actually paying attention to AR5? It seems to have come and gone without any policy makers addressing it beyond mentioning that it is a thing that happened.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

TehSaurus posted:

For content is anyone actually paying attention to AR5? It seems to have come and gone without any policy makers addressing it beyond mentioning that it is a thing that happened.
Not that it makes a difference, but it's the 'Summary for Policymakers', not the full report, that was released.

I think what we have now is pretty much the level of action we get in exchange for unanimous scientific consensus of the planet's fate. For greater action, we don't need better projections or more facts; we need something else.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

TehSaurus posted:

At the risk of derailing - we're in Central Texas, so probably a pretty similar climate. I'm curious to see if my winter vegetables are going to do anything. I've got some beets, onions, carrots and the like. They all seem to be taking off very slowly, so I'm not terribly optimistic.

They should all grow well enough, just remember that they aren't going to be mutant huge like the ones in the supermarkets, which is probably coloring your perception. I know kale runs riot here in the winter. But yeah, good on you for starting a garden.

We (Americans) will probably get more action once we see a reversed trend in worldwide food production. I see that as a huge "ohshitoshitoshit" watermark that will get everybody to wake up. Of course that means way past too late, but hey it'll be something.

QUILT_MONSTER_420
Aug 22, 2013
nm

QUILT_MONSTER_420 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 28, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

QUILT_MONSTER_420 posted:

I don't know how much of a potential "real bad thing" this is for national climate policies vs. just your run of the mill erosion of capacity to regulate, but I've had both Canadians and Euros get all :cripes: about how gruesome and antidemocratic these measures are:
http://www.monbiot.com/2013/11/04/a-global-ban-on-left-wing-politics/

It sounds like all of that could be solved by "Sovereign immunity, bitches".

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

computer parts posted:

It sounds like all of that could be solved by "Sovereign immunity, bitches".

...no. It couldn't. Or rather, it won't.

Looking at recent history regarding the EEA, for example, governments have tended to fold rather than insist on their sovereignty in these matters. Trade agreements quickly become too vital to simply scrap; if Norway, for instance, left the EEA today, the export sector would be basically obliterated and the economy would take a huge and noticable hit. No politician is willing to deliberately unleash those kinds of consequences.

These free-trade agreements have to be met with vociferous opposition before they're implemented or they end up further hollowing out national sovereignty, handing power directly to international capital. Most European countries are nowhere near strong enough to even attempt to oppose an agreement like this.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The bad news;-

Solar activity playing a minimal role in global warming, research suggests
http://phys.org/news/2013-11-solar-minimal-role-global.html
We're not going to get better by waiting for flares to go away or any dumb poo poo like that.

The good news;-

Ozone pact helped cool the planet, study reports
http://phys.org/news/2013-11-ozone-pact-cool-planet.html
But we can demonstrate that doing poo poo about polution actually works.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

duck monster posted:

Ozone pact helped cool the planet, study reports
http://phys.org/news/2013-11-ozone-pact-cool-planet.html
But we can demonstrate that doing poo poo about polution actually works.

duck monster posted:

"Paradoxically, the recent decrease in warming, presented by global warming sceptics as proof that humankind cannot affect the climate system, is shown to have a direct human origin," according to the paper, published in the journal Nature Geoscience.

This is as close as it gets to "gently caress you, idiots" in the pages of a Nature journal..

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Remember Naderev Saño? He's the Philippines' delegate for climate conferences, and you may know him from such impassioned speeches as this one at Doha 2012:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpI-PD6weG8

Well, he made another speech in Poland yesterday where, in the wake of the devastation wrought by typhoon Haiyan, he announced his intention to go on hunger strike until something gets done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yITq61XedI

The Guardian has an abridged transcript of the whole statement (the video above is cut even further):

quote:

It was barely 11 months ago in Doha when my delegation appealed to the world to open our eyes to the stark reality that we face, as we confronted a catastrophic storm that resulted in the costliest disaster in Philippine history. Less than a year after, we could not imagine that a disaster much bigger would come.

With a cruel twist of fate, my country is being tested by this hellstorm called Super Typhoon Haiyan, which has been described by experts as the strongest typhoon that has ever made landfall in the course of recorded human history. It was so strong that if there was a category 6, it would have fallen squarely in that box.

We remain uncertain as to the full extent of the devastation, as information trickles in in an agonizingly slow manner because electricity lines and communication lines have been cut off. The initial assessment shows that Haiyan left a wake of massive devastation that is unprecedented, unthinkable and horrific, affecting two–thirds of the Philippines, with about half a million people now rendered homeless, and with scenes reminiscent of the aftermath of a tsunami, with a vast wasteland of mud and debris and dead bodies.

Despite the massive efforts that my country had exerted in preparing for the onslaught of this monster of a storm, it was just a force too powerful and, even as a nation familiar with storms, Haiyan was nothing we have ever experienced before, or perhaps nothing that any country has ever experienced before.

The picture in the aftermath is ever so slowly coming into focus. The devastation is colossal. And as if this is not enough, another storm is brewing again in the warm waters of the western Pacific. I shudder at the thought of another typhoon hitting the same places where people have not yet even managed to begin standing up.

To anyone who continues to deny the reality that is climate change, I dare them to get off their ivory towers and away from the comfort of their armchairs. I dare them to go to the islands of the Pacific, the islands of the Caribbean and the islands of the Indian ocean and see the impacts of rising sea levels; to the mountainous regions of the Himalayas and the Andes to see communities confronting glacial floods, to the Arctic where communities grapple with the fast dwindling polar ice caps, to the large deltas of the Mekong, the Ganges, the Amazon, and the Nile where lives and livelihoods are drowned, to the hills of Central America that confronts similar monstrous hurricanes, to the vast savannas of Africa where climate change has likewise become a matter of life and death as food and water becomes scarce.

Not to forget the massive hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico and the eastern seaboard of North America. And if that is not enough, they may want to pay a visit to the Philippines right now.

The science has given us a picture that has become much more in focus. The IPCC report on climate change and extreme events underscored the risks associated with changes in the patterns as well as frequency of extreme weather events. Science tells us that simply, climate change will mean more intense tropical storms. As the Earth warms up, so do the oceans. The energy that is stored in the waters off the Philippines will increase the intensity of typhoons and the trend we now see is that more destructive storms will be the new norm.

This will have profound implications on many of our communities, especially those who struggle against the twin challenges of the development and the climate change crisis. Typhoons such as Haiyan and its impacts represent a sobering reminder to the international community that we cannot afford to procrastinate on climate action. Warsaw [where UN climate talks begin on Monday] should muster the political will to address climate change, and raise ambition.

In Doha last year, we asked "If not us then who? If not now, then when? If not here, then where?" (borrowed from Philippine student leader Ditto Sarmiento during martial law). It may have fallen on deaf ears. But here in Warsaw, we may very well ask these same forthright questions. "If not us, then who? If not now, then when? If not here in Warsaw, where?"

What my country is going through as a result of this extreme climate event is madness. The climate crisis is madness.

We can stop this madness. Right here in Warsaw.

It is the 19th conference of the parties [annual meeting of the UN climate talks], but we might as well stop counting, because my country refuses to accept that a COP30 or a COP40 will be needed to solve climate change. And because it seems that despite the significant gains we have had since the UN framework convention on climate change (UNFCCC) was born, 20 years hence we continue to fail in fulfilling the ultimate objective of the convention. Now, we find ourselves in a situation where we have to ask ourselves – can we ever attain the objective set out in Article 2, which is to prevent dangerous anthropogenic interference with the climate system?

By failing to meet the objective, we may have ratified the doom of vulnerable countries and have to confront the issue of loss and damage from climate change – a reality today across the world. Developed country emissions reduction targets are dangerously low and must be raised immediately, but even if they were in line with the demand of cutting by 40-50% below 1990 levels, we would still have locked-in climate change and would still need to address the issue of loss and damage.

We find ourselves at a critical juncture and the situation is such that even the most ambitious emissions reductions by developed countries, who should have been taking the lead in combatting climate change in the past two decades, will not be enough to avert the crisis. It is now too late, too late to talk about the world being able to rely on annex I [developed] countries to solve the climate crisis. We have entered a new era that demands global solidarity in order to fight climate change and ensure that pursuit of sustainable human development remains at the fore of the global community's efforts. This is why means of implementation for developing countries is ever more crucial.

It was Maurice Strong, the secretary general of the UN conference on environment and development, at the Earth summit in Rio de Janeiro, 1992, who said that "History reminds us that what is not possible today, may be inevitable tomorrow."

We cannot sit and stay helpless staring at this international climate stalemate. It is now time to take action. We need an emergency climate pathway.

We can take drastic action now to ensure that we prevent a future where super typhoons are a way of life. Because we refuse, as a nation, to accept a future where super typhoons like Haiyan become a fact of life. We refuse to accept that running away from storms, evacuating our families, suffering the devastation and misery, having to count our dead, become a way of life. We simply refuse to.

Super Typhoon Haiyan made landfall in my family's hometown and the devastation is staggering. I struggle to find words even for the images that we see from the news coverage. I struggle to find words to describe how I feel about the losses and damages we have suffered from this cataclysm.

Up to this hour, I agonise while waiting for word as to the fate of my very own relatives. What gives me renewed strength and great relief was when my brother succeeded in communicating with us that he has survived the onslaught. In the last two days, he has been gathering bodies of the dead with his own two hands. He is hungry and weary as food supplies find it difficult to arrive in the hardest hit areas.

We call on Warsaw to pursue work until the most meaningful outcome is in sight. Until concrete pledges have been made to ensure mobilisation of resources for the Green Climate Fund. Until the promise of the establishment of a loss and damage mechanism has been fulfilled; until there is assurance on finance for adaptation; until concrete pathways for reaching the committed 100 billion dollars have been made; until we see real ambition on stabilising greenhouse gases. We must put the money where our mouths are.

This process under the UNFCCC has been called many names. It has been called a farce. It has been called an annual carbon-intensive gathering of useless frequent flyers. But it has also been called the project to save the planet. It has been called "saving tomorrow today". We can fix this. We can stop this madness. Right now. Right here, in the middle of this football field.

I call on the Polish presidency of the COP to lead us. And let Poland be forever known as the place we truly cared to stop this madness. Can humanity rise to the occasion? I still believe we can.

I don't really know what to say about this... this is the desperation of the countries we're destroying :(

TACD fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 12, 2013

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Woof, that is heart-wrenching to read, I can't imagine having heard him deliver it live.

Have we discussed Mike Davis' Late Victorian Holocausts in here? His coverage of the ENSO oscillation is excellent and he does a great job of connecting climatological events to economic impacts in understandable ways. I may have brought this up in here before, sorry to be repetitive if so. Highly recommended read, in any case.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

mdemone posted:

Have we discussed Mike Davis' Late Victorian Holocausts in here? His coverage of the ENSO oscillation is excellent and he does a great job of connecting climatological events to economic impacts in understandable ways. I may have brought this up in here before, sorry to be repetitive if so. Highly recommended read, in any case.

I don't know, but if you have some comments on the contents, I'd definitely appreciate it.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
Late Victorian Holocausts is a really useful book for informing how we think about climate impacts in a lot of ways. A familiarity with the history of what happened the last time most of the world was 1) controlled by an empire that opened the markets of subject nations, and 2) was beset by extreme droughts and subsequent crop failures, is pretty much indispensable for approaching the question of how those circumstances might play out in the future. The discussion of the role of ideology in the British Raj is particularly helpful, I feel, in establishing some starting points for discussing the role of modern market fundamentalism in interpreting the significance of the agricultural consequences of climatic disturbance and in producing the social consequences thereof. Some points in the book that are especially pertinent in my mind include the effect of market pressures and policies in reducing the resilience that previous social systems had developed, the destruction of the remaining ability of the environment to provide for human needs by the acts of desperate farmers made unable to survive sustainably, and the tendency for marginalization and hunger in ordinary times to pass by with relatively little notice, but to produce extraordinary catastrophe in times of unusual stress, which are inevitable in the variability of natural systems. For the history enthusiasts, the book provides a very good account of how these events decisively sealed the victory of Europe over Asia when the latter had long had the "advantage" by several metrics. It did take me a really long time to get through the section that just talks about the ENSO phenomenon. There's only a single paragraph talking about speculative effects that global warming might have on the ENSO cycle, but in conjunction with the rest of the book, what is predicted about the range of climate variability as warming continues, and what most of us might know about the discussed countries today (such as their medium-term water usage sustainability issues), it is rather concerning.

this allusion meant fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 13, 2013

QUILT_MONSTER_420
Aug 22, 2013
nm

QUILT_MONSTER_420 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 28, 2013

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
So this is sort of weird, we hear that the slowed rise in surface temperatures is partly because more heat is going into the oceans, and also that the effect of the Montreal Protocol on minor GHGs should have produced something around that magnitude, and now apparently the rise in surface temperatures has not slowed down much at all once gaps in the data are plugged? So does that mean the actual level of heat entering the system over this period is considerably higher than would have been predicted? Or is all the reporting on these disparate explanations somewhat exaggerating the effect of each on the data? They all appear to be mechanisms that certainly must be in play to some extent, but if each can "explain" statistically speaking most of the discrepancy, does that leave us with a discrepancy in the other direction to be explained?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I can't tell at all how they computed this, so it's hard to make any intelligent evaluation. But the results stated seem a little hard to swallow, at least at first blush. If the HadCRUT4 data covers 84% of the planet and shows a warming trend of .05 C/decade, and the corrected data for 100% of the planet gives a warming trend of .12 C/decade, the seeming implication would be that the 16% that HadCRUT4 doesn't cover have recently been warming at .49 C/decade, ten times the rate of the areas that we're measuring directly and four times the long-term trend predicted for the world generally by the IPCC.

I mean, I guess that's possible, but it's a pretty extreme result.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
The problems with HadCRUT aren't limited to geographical surface covered, the realclimate article explicitly addresses some of the other corrections they made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Paper Mac posted:

The problems with HadCRUT aren't limited to geographical surface covered, the realclimate article explicitly addresses some of the other corrections they made.
What, the one linked right there? Unless I've missed something, it's entirely about a method for interpolating data to fill in the gaps in the weather station network.

• Locked thread