Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm on the case!

e: I suddenly wish I was not on the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012
Simple. The Super-League, like Angel Love, is unapproved by Authority, and its whimsy and idiosyncrasies alienate the expected market.

Probably-Too-Late Premodern Gauntlet Roster

CF Hamilton
3B McGraw
LF Cobb
RF Thompson
SS Jennings
1B Connor
DH Delahanty
2B Rose
C I-Rod

C Cross (catches for Reuschel)
OF Victorino
IF Eckstein
IF Polanco
UT Palmeiro

SP Halladay
SP Maddux
SP Reuschel
SP Oswalt
SP Keefe

CL Howell
SU Madson
SR Hernandez
SR Bastardo
MR Reed
LR Lee

Defensive Replacements at +2.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I fixed the Padres:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhcCZRJGKxiXdEtUVXk4MmVIazRpdmF0ZHZIcmJ5eUE&usp=drive_web#gid=2

Feeders:
Year Pts
1978 2
1983 2
1987 1
1992 2
1998 3
2003 1
2007 1

Your Franchise Padres:

Lineup
code:
Batting Order				
RF	Tony Gwynn	1992	32	
LF	Tony Gwynn	1987	27	
3B	Kevin Mitchell	1987	25	
1B	Dave Winfield	1978	26	
DH	Tony Gwynn	1998	38	Platoon w/McGriff
C	Gene Tenace	1978	31	
CF	Tony Gwynn	1983	23	
2B	Tony Fernandez	1992	30	
SS	Ozzie Smith	1981	26	

Bench				
1B	Fred McGriff	1992	28	
OF	Oscar Gamble	1978	28	
CF	George Hendrick	1978	28	
IF	Randy Ready	1987	27	
C	Terry Kennedy	1983	27	Perry's personal catcher
Pitchers

code:
Rotation			
SP	Kevin Brown	1998	33
SP	Jake Peavy	2007	26
SP	Randy Jones	1978	28
SP	Greg Maddux	2007	41
SP	Gaylord Perry	1978	39

Pen			
CL	Trevor Hoffman	1998	30
SU	Randy Myers	1992	29
SU	Rollie Fingers	1978	31
SR	Heath Bell	2007	29
MR	Rich Gossage	1987	35
LR	Bruce Hurst	1992	34

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Obviously, the playoff series against the mrnoun dynasty and the Dread Grover Alexander was a thrilling time.

It Was a Good Writeup.

Did anyone take the Senators/Rangers? I would be willing to try that because of the ol' deep seated self-loathing, etc etc. When are teams due, if so?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I believe the Rangers, Royals, and Pirates are still unclaimed

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
The Syndicate did the Royals in this space many months ago.

There is only so much you can ask of Sabes, Beltan, and Brett.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Any particular reason why you are not using your 2 remaining Trevor Hoffman over Randy Myers and Heath Bell? I realize that Myers and Bell are no slouches, but Hoffman is the 2nd greatest relief pitcher of all time.

e:

The Merry Marauder posted:

As someone who made long use of 2006 Trevor Hoffman, he absolutely shouldn't bother with the 2007 version.

Fair, but surely the '03 version should be fine, right?

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 8, 2013

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

As someone who made long use of 2006 Trevor Hoffman, he absolutely shouldn't bother with the 2007 version.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Exactly. I'm playing pitchers in their prime years over old versions of Hoffman. I'm also using Randy as the lefty in the 'pen even though most of those pitchers should be able to handle themselves.

I hate using Loretta but Alomar played for the Padres in the early 90's on teams I can't use due to the constraints on points and years and it's not worth using baby Alomar over a "serviceable" shortstop.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 8, 2013

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Obviously, the playoff series against the mrnoun dynasty and the Dread Grover Alexander was a thrilling time.

It Was a Good Writeup.

Did anyone take the Senators/Rangers? I would be willing to try that because of the ol' deep seated self-loathing, etc etc. When are teams due, if so?

Rosters/lineups are due before Smasher starts the SL finals, so a week or so. It'll give me a chance to make all the .csvs and get everything set into my freshly-installed version of Mogul 2013.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Updated the document of the Big Red Machine with Lineup and Rotation, Stadium, Strategy etc.

Critique welcome!

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Pick-em: Round 5

Gravediggers
METSSSSSS

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Dynamo League Divisional Series: Burma Imperialists vs. Somali Pirates

The Burma Imperialists are one of the standbys of the Dynamo League. They've never made it to a Super-League Finals, but they've consistently had a top-flight rotation and a lineup that has sometimes not been completely terrible. It's an open question as to whether they or the Coburns are the true #2 in the Marauder Syndicate. The Coburns have more potential, but the Imperialists have been a bit more consistent, albeit in a significantly easier division. They are the decided underdogs in this series, and would be incredible underdogs against the Losers. More importantly, it would be a real bummer if Marauder's C-Team won the championship, and I'm tired of dealing with bummers. You've got to lose this series, Viscount, lose it for me, lose it for the league, lose it for the Empire!

The Somali Pirates won the Dynamo League last year and won 99 games this season in the strongest division in their league. In any other year, they would be the prohibitive favorites to return to the championship, but this season, it seems like nothing can stop the Losers. If any team is able to, though, it will be the Pirates, who have the defense and pitching necessary to negate the Losers' lineup, and enough offense to get through against the Losers' front four starters. But, before they do that, they'll have to deal with the Imperialists' rotation of doom. No doubt the Pirates are the favorites, but it won't be easy.

The Pirates are also the reigning European, United States, Larkin-Downing, and Hardcore Champions.

Game 1

Don May posted:

PIRATES ROMP TO 6-3 WIN IN GAME 1

Mogadishu- The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.

Fortunately for the writer responsible for these writeups, the journey to the Super-League Championship, for either of these teams, consists of just eleven wins. Three in this series, and four each in the championship series and finals rounds. For the Pirates, that number is now down to ten. For the Imperialists, they now have some work to do.

The game featured a retread of one of the oldest stories in the Super-League. An old Pete Alexander starts the game and an offensively-challenged team cannot overcome him. It is the same story that propelled the Boston Skyhawks, and later the Luna Landers and Galactic Wanderers to championships, the last of which came at the expense of these very Somali Pirates. Clearly, Beet has learned from his mistakes, and has adapted. Granted, today's win was partially built on the pack of a pair of crucial errors by the Imperialists' defense, as Robin Yount and Jeff Bagwell each made a gaffe, resulting in three unearned runs that provided the margin of victory. But, then again, a win is a win, and the Pirates are now only two games away from their seemingly-inevitable showdown with the Rockford Losers.

Beet explained, "I believe that the Pirates are the best team of their type. For a very long time, people have tried to make the team based on pitching and defense, and I have done it. My team can run, it can catch the ball, and because we can do these things, we can make the deadball pitchers become a deadly weapon. Truly, the Pirates are the best of their class. If speed and defense teams were like the Star Trek franchise, then we would be Deep Space 9, an achievement unmatched in history. Yes, we are like the-"

"No, sirrah, I would stop you right there!" Viscount Slim interrupted the Pirates' owner, "I do not want to turn this into a debate about Star Trek, but I feel that you, as long as your other internet compatriots, lacking a sense of history, have overrated Deep Space 9."

"Viscount Slim, I did not come into this series intending to prove the superiority of Deep Space 9 as well as defeating your team, but if I must do both, then so be it. The winner of this series will not only advance to the Dynamo League Championship Series, but they will also decide which the best series of Star Trek was once and for all. It is the only way." Beet said in a determined voice.

Viscount Slim nodded his head. "If it must be, then it must be. You will be taking the position that Deep Space 9 is the paramount show, I take it?" Beet signaled in the affirmative, "Very well, that leaves me to determine which show I will posit is its superior. Obviously, I must reject Enterprise and Voyager out of hand. To be honest, most of Star Trek is mediocre, but those two shows press a far point beyond that straight to atrocity. Reluctantly, I must also discard the original series. While I have doubt that for its time it was a fine show, I am not of the vintage to have appreciated its charms in that time, nor am I so overflowing with nostalgia to ignore its limited production values and cast quality. Ergo, I will posit that Next Generation is, in fact, the greatest Trek series of all time. And I will prove it in words, and in baseballing deeds!"

Game 2 will take place in Mogadishu, home of world-famous "Sorrow Smoothie". Martin Dihigo will start of the Imperialists as Noodles the Pitcher takes the mound for the Pirates.

GAME NOTES

-Sergio Romo had a rough night, allowing a two-run homer by Rickey Henderson in the top of the seventh inning. He blamed his poor performance on, "Star Trek. I blame it on the Star Trek."

-Even virtual Carlos Beltran is awesome in the playoffs. It is deeply frustrated to me on a personal level, even if, bizarrely enough, Carlos Beltran has never actually won anything.

Box Score

Game 2

Don May posted:

IMPERIALISTS EVEN SERIES WITH 7-4 WIN

Mogadishu- Put up against a wall, the Imperialists had no choice but to cook Noodles.

The Imperialists' offense, not exactly known for their ability to do much of anything except suck and die, managed to break through against Noodles the Pitcher, slashing him for five runs over seven innings as they evened the series at one, and took away home-field advantage from the Pirates with the next two games slated to take place in Burma.

Lance Parrish, of all people, was the hero of the day, hitting a home run and knocking in four. It was another bizarrely good day for the Imperialists' backstop, who has come out of nowhere to become the savior of his team. On the other side of the diamond, Willie Mays continued to struggle for the Pirates, and now has only one hit in two games this series, a number that, given the lack of true power hitters on the Pirates, is a potentially season-ending problem. In all likelihood, both players' performances will regress to the mean but, with only a maximum of three games remaining in this series, it remains to be seen whether either will regress before one team advances.

In other news, Beet gave his opening remarks in defense of Deep Space 9, as, having lost this game, he would be forced to speak first. "It is clear to me that Deep Space 9 is the better show. Every other Star Trek series hung its hat only on strained allegory through the lens of science fiction. The so-called 'thoughtful' episodes that were nothing more than polemicals delivered in the guise of rubber-faced aliens. The Viscount Slim wants to talk about how great this The Next Generation is. I do not agree. Consider that episode "The Outcast" from that series. In that episode, the Enterprise encounters a race of androgynous aliens who, due to a tragic miscommunication by the production staff, all resemble stereotypical lesbians. Commander Riker finds on who identifies as female, and a scandal occurs, because androgyny is the dominant cultural norm on that planet. This is a thuddingly obviously metaphor for the treatment of homosexuals. There is not art to it, no grace, no nuance. Whether or not its goals in advancing certain viewpoints is admirable or not, it made for lousy television.

"But there was another type of episodes in The Next Generation, where some sort of anomaly traps the Enterprise for fifty minutes until, at the point of the greatest crisis, some one comes up with some sort of technobabble solution. The Enterprise is trapped in a time loop, or frozen in time, or in an alternate universe, or in a place where they can't dream, or they are devolving. That is half of an interesting plot, but the other half never arrives. Instead, after flailing about for the majority of the episode, a pseudo-magical blast of energy from the deflector shield saves them, and that is the end. It is always the end.

"That is all there is to the show. The characters are forgettable. Patrick Stewart plays a Frenchman with a British accent and mannerisms. The rest of the cast is unremarkable. They are sterile, boring, static. Can you name one personality trait of Geordi LaForge? Or of Dr. Crusher? No, you cannot, because they had none to begin with. The Next Generation was a fine way to kill an hour. In the late '80s and early '90s, when the internet was even more useless than it would become. But it is not good. Not good at all."

Game 3 will take place in Burma, where each team will be trying to take a 2-1 series lead. Joe Wood will start for the Imperialists while Rube Waddell takes the mound for the Pirates.

GAME NOTES

-Robin Yount made another error. Not a great series for the Imperialists' shortstop, although as their second-best option at the position is Placido Polanco, they can't afford to take him out.

-Viscount Slim declared that he will be making his own opening statement following Game 3 that he promises, "will change the course of lives, though it must be said that the people whose lives it will change are pathetic Trekkies."

Box Score

Game 3

Don May posted:

IMPERIALISTS ONE GAME FROM VICTORY WITH 9-5 WIN

Mandalay- Joe Wood is the team-killer, Wood is the little death that brings total oblivion. The Pirates faced Joe Wood. The permitted him to go through their lineup, and when he had gone past, they turned their inner eyes to see the path of his pitches. Where Joe Wood has gone, there was nothing. Only defeat remained.

The Pirates came into this series with momentum. But with the pitching continuing to disappoint, it increasingly appears that all that momentum has done is set them on an unavoidable crash course with a offseason full of regret. In today's game, the Imperialists destroyed Rube Waddell, notching seven runs against him in just five innings, which was more than the Pirates' offense, geared more towards winning low-scoring affairs with good baserunning and defense, was able to match.

On the plus side for the Pirates, Mays finally had a good game, getting four hits and coming a double short of hitting for the cycle. The fact that his team still lost, however, did little to change Mays' reputation as a sort of jinx who will ultimately doom any team that tries to use him.

Flush with victory, and just one win away from advancing to a Dynamo League Championship Series against he Rockford Losers, Viscount Slim was ready to attack Deep Space 9, "Simply put, Deep Space 9 is a fine show to like if you are interested in the pretense of being intelligent. What sets apart Deep Space 9 from other Trek shows is simply a childish sense of faux-cynicism. The characters are not truly any deeper than they were in Next Generation, nor is the show any more morally complex. Instead, the writers merely pretended that their characters were flawed, and so might make the morally dubious decision. With only very rare exceptions, the characters always did the "right" thing, the morally pure thing. Morality remains black and white, and merely pretending that the grey exists does not make it so.

"There is also the matter of the Dominion War Arc that dominated the later seasons. War would be an interesting perspective to take on Star Trek. Unless, of course, you make the enemy so cartoonishly evil that it just becomes a three season-long story of the noble Federation attempting to save the galaxy from the unspeakably wicked Dominion, who hope to destroy all freedom everywhere. I've seen more sophisticated storytelling in Superfriends cartoons.

"And Beet wants to claim that the characters on Deep Space 9 have more depth? Well, I'm afraid I have some bad news for him about that: half of the cast are so dreary that any episode that spotlights them is doomed from the start. An episode starring Quark? Misery awaits. An episode about Kira? Whose ready for drudgery about the world's most photogenic and harmless former terrorist? A Worf episode? Who knew a race of warriors could be so dull. And an episode about Dax, either of them really, nothing good can come of it. Say what you will about Next Generation, it did not burn half of its episodes on characters who were fundamentally incapable of handling the load. Beet, as one would expect from a man who names his team after pirates, feels compelled to show that he is somehow too 'edgy' and 'cool' for Next Generation. But these are all just pretension he puts on for all of you. There is nothing better about Deep Space 9, and there never was. The show was a fraud, and so is its defender."

Game 4 will take place in Mandalay. The Imperialists will attempt to end the series behind Don Sutton, while the Pirates send for everyone's favorite eight-fingered pitcher, Mordecai Brown, to save the team much as his learned namesake once helped saved the Jews from the machinations of the wicked Haman. Also, both owners will give their closing arguments in the case of Trek v. Trek.

GAME NOTES

-Sergio Romo got hit hard again, giving up another two-run home run, this time to Scott Rolen.

-Rube Waddell hit three batters with pitches. Admittedly, as he was perhaps the wildest pitcher of his era, and quite literally insane, this is not unusual so much as something to be expected. In his defense, mental health was not as well understood back in those days, where the cure to virtually any mental disorder was opium, and lots of it.

Box Score

Game 4

Don May posted:

PIRATES FORCE GAME 5 WITH 4-2 WIN

Mandalay- The road to the Super-League Championship never did run true.

Facing elimination, the Pirates had no choice but to strike fast to survive, and they did exactly that, scoring three runs in the top of the first, and then holding on to take the 4-2 victory. With the win, both teams will now head back to Mogadishu for a decisive Game 5. The winner will face the Rockford Loses in the Dynamo League Championship series who, unfortunately for these teams, have spent the intervening time working themselves into a frenzy, so great is their desire to win their first championship.

In even more good news for the Pirates, Willie Mays hit another home run and, this time, his team was able to capitalize, and now they'll have a chance to clinch the series in their own home stadium. In addition, Beet made his final appeal for the supremacy of Deep Space 9, "Does the Deep Space 9 have flaws? I will admit that it does. I do not pretend that it is the greatest television series of all time. I merely say that it is better than the other Trek series. Consider the arguments that the Viscount Slim has made. He says that the Deep Space 9 is not as deep as I claim. He says it is not as smart as I think. He sees it is not as good as I think. Maybe this man is right. Maybe my memories of the Deep Space 9 are fake, maybe they do not reflect the reality. I do not know. But that is not the question. The question is whether the Deep Space 9 is better than The Next Generation. The Viscount Slim did nothing to say why his show is better. He instead attacked mine again and again. He knows that he comes from a position of weakness. He has no legs to stand on. The Deep Space 9 is the answer.

Viscount Slim was not convinced, "Please, you embarrass yourself, Beet. The fact of the matter is that 90% of what is laudable about Deep Space 9 was inherited from The Next Generation. Yes, Deep Space 9 is a "different" kind of Trek, but that distinction is meaningless without a baseline of Trek to be distinguished from and, with all due respect to the Original Series, The Next Generation was the model for that era, and, barring some sort of substantial improvement on the formula, which Beet has failed to show, the originator should be given the utmost credit for the formulation. We do not credit later nuclear physicists as being "better" than Einstein just because they came better and refined the Theory of Relativity. Similarly, we should not credit Deep Space 9 for tweaking the frame."

Stopping for a moment, Viscount Slim realized something important, "Wait a moment. Didn't we say that this debate would be decided by whoever won the series?"

Beet responded, "I believe that was the decision, yes."

"Well, then, what difference did any of this debate make? It's not as if that my players are going to be so buoyed by my sparkling wordplay that they were going to make them play better. What was the point of anything of this? drat it all to hell!"

Game 5 will be the final game of this series. Hilton Smith will attempt to save the Imperialists' bacon, but he'll be going up against the stone wall that is Pete Alexander.

GAME NOTES

-There were a combined nine strikeouts in the game. Five of them came from versions of Rickey Henderson.

-Did you know? The robots will rise soon. They are the future.

Box Score

Game 5

Don May posted:

PIRATES STAVE OFF IMPERIALISTS COME BACK, WIN 5-4

Mogadishu- In the end, there could be only one.

Facing a 5-3 deficit, the Imperialists entered the top of the ninth inning needing some offense and needing it now. Fortunately for them, the Pirates' bullpen had not been their strong suit during the regular season, and while Trevor Hoffman had been outstanding in real life, his Super-League history was considerably less impressive. Robin Yount, seizing the moment, hit a long, solo home run to start off the inning, narrowing the Pirates' lead to just 5-4. The Imperialists suddenly had the wind at their backs.

With the pitcher's spot due up next, Viscount Slim sent Placido Polanco to the plate to bat for Hilton Smith. Sadly, Polando could only manage a pop out. Rickey Henderson was next, and while he had the skills to get on base, he could not harness them here, flying out to center for the second out. That brought Eddie Collins to the plate, and the Imperialists were down to their last chance. A home run here would tie the game, but Eddie Collins was not a power hitter, and it would take a miracle for him to get one here.

That miracle did not happen, as Collins weakly flied to the Pirates' Rickey Henderson to clinch the Somali team the second straight trip to the Dynamo League Championship Series.

After the game, Viscount Slim was gracious in defeat, "I know when I am defeated, and I am defeated here. The Pirates outplayed us, if only slightly, and we will retreat to Burma to lick our wounds and regroup for the next campaign. Also, I suppose I am bound to recognize Deep Space 9 as the superior show, although, after this whole debate, I feel as though that does not mean much. It's like saying that Diphtheria is better than Yellow Fever. I have no doubt it's true, but I'm hardly in a rush to contract either illness. Still, credit where credit is due. The Pirates won, and I wish them well, confident in the knowledge that the Bangers still remain alive and able to defeat any opponent. Glory to the Syndicate."

Beet, for his part, acknowledged that the Star Trek debate had made him question the overall quality of the franchise, and then went on to acknowledge that, "Our true test begins now. They say that the Losers are invincible this season. They say they are an unstoppable destructive force of unsurpassed ferocity. I do not care what they say. The Pirates came one game away from the championship last season. We will not fail again. Humungus, I am not afra-"

As he spoke those words, a large figure with a metal mask crashed through the ceiling. Drawing himself up to his full height, the giant figure turn to face Beet, his cold eyes utterly unreadable. Humungus had arrived. Beet, though dwarfed by this giant of a man, was unbowed, "Humungus, I will still say it to your face, I am not afraid of you."

"So noted," Humungus responded, before grabbing Beet by the arm and whipping him into a nearby wall. His opponent dazed, Humungus delivered a series of devastating blows to the Pirates owner as the crowd stood motionless, shocked by what they were seeing. Evidently satisfied that Beet was incapacitated. Humungus then turned his gaze at Viscount Slim who, unlike Beet, was quite scared indeed.

"Ah, Lord Mayor, what a...pleasure it is to see you." Viscount stammered, showing the keen sense of self-preservation that had served him so well over the years.

Humungus approached the Viscount, who found himself back up against a wall. But Humungus had not come for another fight, "Viscount, I would like you to deliver a message for me, to you master, the Marauder."

"A-ah, what sort of message did you have in mind, Lord Mayor?" Viscount had seen how Humungus delivered his messages in the past, and trembled at the assault he assumed was imminent. But Humungus did not raise is mighty fist in anger.

"Tell him that I will be waiting for him where the ground ends and the heavens begin, and where men graduate to gods. And tell him to hold on to his Television Title." Humungus took a step back, away from the Viscount, "You may go." Viscount Slim, shocked he was still standing, nonetheless quickly fled the premises.

Humungus then slung the unconscious form of Beet over his shoulders, and gave one more message, "Somali Pirates! I have taken your leader. I have taken him because he would not learn the value of patience, and I must resort to more drastic measures. My apologies for any inconvenience this may cause. If you wish to see him again, you will need to come to Rockford, and give me back those four titles that were taken from me by the coward mentholmoose earlier this season. I do not begrudge the way you yourselves won those titles, but they belong to us by right, and I will have them back. I do not wish to do your owner or your team any more harm, but I have no choice. Do not oppose me. Show the patience that your owner could not. Surrender your titles and your claim to the Dynamo League Championship, and Beet will be yours, and we can go our separate ways in peace. All I have ever wanted is peace." Humungus then slowly began to march his way out of Mogadishu, Beet in hand.

Box Score

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 9, 2013

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Pick'em!

PREMODERNISTS
GRAVEDIGGERS

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Booo! You suck, Humungus! :argh:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Mad Knights
Premodernists

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

Booo! You suck, Humungus! :argh:
There are no babyfaces in the Super-League, only a long line of bastards fighting for supremacy.

:siren: Pick 'Em Standings: :siren:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvhK1RX1-jWLdEJTRElCeU1zMVpLdWlNeEdVeEVEVmc&usp=drive_web#gid=2

Lots of high scores in this round, but CaptainYesterday was the big winner by netting a perfect score.

1.) CaptainYesterday: 28 points
2.) TKBomber7285: 20 points
3.) Grinnblade: 18 points

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Mad Knights
Premodernists

The Mad Knights are going to smash.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

CBX: The 40 man roster--I'm assuming I should just treat it like an SL roster that's 25/5 only this way it's 25/15? And I can call players up and down as I see fit during the season?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I took about 15 minutes out of my insanely busy day to read the write-up.

It made me smile, and my day a bit better.

I still side with TNG. DS9 had tighter writing, but TNG had more charm. When you're watching an escapist space fantasy, charm outweighs story.

Besides, BSG is better than all the ST series put together. Sure, it was put together by the same guy who did DS9, but it did everything better than DS9.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

FairGame posted:

CBX: The 40 man roster--I'm assuming I should just treat it like an SL roster that's 25/5 only this way it's 25/15? And I can call players up and down as I see fit during the season?

Correct.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Pander posted:

Besides, BSG is better than all the ST series put together. Sure, it was put together by the same guy who did DS9, but it did everything better than DS9.

:hf:

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
The Twins Franchise team is here! Witness the true death of infield defense.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aoda1zqj9zZWdFVvRTZubEU5SlB1b1BrZGFQLXFCaEE&usp=sharing

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Hey CBX, if I am using the Orioles do I get to use the Browns as well?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Zodiac5000 posted:

The Twins Franchise team is here! Witness the true death of infield defense.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aoda1zqj9zZWdFVvRTZubEU5SlB1b1BrZGFQLXFCaEE&usp=sharing

How do you have 2009 versions of players with the 2008 twins?

Also: :lol: at killebrew at 3rd, billy beane, and your bullpen.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Entirely because I clicked to the wrong tab and saw all my players still there. Fixed. And hey, Killebrew has to play somewhere, might as well be 3rd.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Pash posted:

Hey CBX, if I am using the Orioles do I get to use the Browns as well?

Yes, you get the entire franchise, not just the current team name.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Per CVE's request, a bit of music to read this update by.

Glory be to the Syndicate!
:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:
All of Pash's playermans have fainted! Pash has whited out!
The Gravediggers dug their own grave. They might as well use it.

Pick 'em: Gauntlet X, Round 6
Pick TWO!
Mercury METSSS
Philadelphia Premodernits
Strickland Propane
Tudor Misers (Note: Tudor Roses would have been the better name for this team)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Mercury
Philadelphia

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
No one pick me.

Oh yeah, guess I better make the roster for this bunch of butt cuddlers.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Your Franchise Challenge Houston Astros

1974 - 1 point
1980 - 3 points
1998 - 4 points
2005 - 4 points

C 1998 Brad Ausmus
C 2005 Brad Ausmus
1B 1998 Jeff Bagwell
1B 2005 Lance Berkman
2B 1998 Craig Biggio
SS 1998 Ricky Gutierrez
3B 2005 Morgan Ensberg
3B 1998 Sean Berry
LF 1998 Moises Alou
LF 1974 Bob Watson
CF 1980 Cesar Cedeno
RF 1998 Derek Bell
RF 1974 Greg Gross

Rotation
1980 Nolan Ryan
2005 Roy Oswalt
2005 Andy Pettitte
1974 Larry Dierker
2005 Roger Clemens

Bullpen
CL 1980 Joe Sambito
RP 1980 Frank LaCorte
RP 1980 Dave Smith
RP 1998 Doug Henry
RP 1998 Trever Miller
RP 2005 Chad Qualls
RP 2005 Dan Wheeler

Other 15 guys

C 1980 Alan Ashbe
1B 1980 Art Howe
2B 1980 Joe Morgan
2B 2005 Craig Biggio
SS 1974 Roger Metzger
SS 2005 Adam Everett
3B 1980 Enos Cabell
LF 1980 Jose Cruz
CF 1998 Carl Everett
CF 2005 Willy Taveras
RF 1980 Terry Puhl
SP 1980 J.R. Richard
SP 1998 Randy Johnson
RP 1974 Mike Cosgrove
RP 1974 Jim York

Lineup
1. Craig Biggio
2. Greg Gross
3. Cesar Cedeno
4. Moises Alou
5. Jeff Bagwell
6. Morgan Ensberg
7. Ricky Gutierrez
8. Brad Ausmus (2005)
9. Pitcher

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 11, 2013

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Jeez, I'm horrible at this Pick 'Em poo poo.

Pick TWO!

Strickland Propane
Tudor Misers

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Pick TWO!

Mercury METSSS

METSSSS!

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011
Pick TWO!
Mercury METSSS
Strickland Propane
Tudor Misers

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
: Oh my oh my, for the first time in my life.. mortal or immortal, I am about to succeed! Lucifer, king of all demons, is very happy! Nobody expects these losers to succeed, not even Armitage himself believes that this team can even survive one round! I won! I finally won! I can't believe it!

Well, we're dead. Like I said, no one pick us. We're going to make sure the Premodernists and Misers survive! See you guys in ECXIV, so I can fail again!

code:
Stadium info:

Name: Tom Landry Middle School Field

Sponsored by Mega-Lo Mart

Altitude: 736

Stadium: Domed <-- provided by Mega-Lo Mart!
Surface: Natural Grass

Left Field:	        344
Left Center Field:	377
Center Field:	        404
Right Center Field:	388
Right Field:	        355

Infield Quality:	Good
Infield Grass:	        High
Visibility:	        Excellent
Foul Ground:	        Huge

Stadium Effects:	
Home Runs:		95
Batting Average:	99
Doubles:		102
Triples:		106
Strikeouts:		86
Double Plays:		100
Errors:			90

Park factor:		99
code:
Roster:

johnswa01,1908,WSH,,,Walter,Johnson
delahji01,1908,WSH,,,Jim,Delahanty
falkecy01,1908,WSH,,,Cy,Falkenberg
hugheto01,1908,WSH,,,Tom,Hughes
milancl01,1908,WSH,,,Clyde,Milan
hornsro01,1918,STL,,,Rogers,Hornsby
hubbeca01,1934,NYG,,,Carl,Hubbell
stirnsn01,1947,NYY,,,Snuffy,Stinweiss
rizzuph01,1947,NYY,,,Phil,Rizzuto
kellech01,1947,NYY,,,Charlie,Keller
lollash01,1947,NYY,,,Sherm,Lollar
yosted01,1955,WSH,,,Eddie,Yost
mantlmi01,1968,NYY,,,Mickey,Mantle
whitero01,1968,NYY,,,Roy,White
colavro01,1968,NYY,,,Rocky,Colavito
stottme01,1968,NYY,,,Mel,Stottlemeyer
peterfr01,1968,NYY,,,Fritz,Peterson
mcdanli01,1968,NYY,,,Lindy,McDaniel
hamilst01,1968,NYY,,,Steve,Hamilton
birddo01,1974,KCR,,,Doug,Bird
reuscri01,1977,CHC,,,Rick,Reuschel
downibr01,1978,CAL,,,Brian,Downing
henderi01,1985,NYY,,,Rickey,Henderson
gracema01,1988,CHC,,,Mark,Grace
dawsoan01,1988,CHC,,,Andre,Dawson
piazzmi01,1996,LAD,,,Mike,Piazza
karroer01,1996,LAD,,,Eric,Karros
mondera01,1996,LAD,,,Raul,Mondesi
worreto01,1996,LAD,,,Todd,Worrell
osunaan01,1996,LAD,,,Antonio,Osuna
suzukic01,2002,SEA,,,Ichiro,Suzuki
beltrca01,2004,HOU,,,Carlos,Beltran
smithjo05,2011,CLE,,,Joe,Smith
code:
25 man roster, and AAA jerks.
C '96 Mike Piazza
C '78 Brian Downing
1B '88 Mark Grace
1B '68 Mickey Mantle
2B '18 Rogers Hornsby
SS '47 Phil Rizzuto
3B '47 Snuffy Stirnweiss
3B '55 Eddie Yost
LF '47 Charlie Kellar
LF '68 Roy White
LF '85 Rickey Henderson
CF 2004 Carlos Beltran
RF 2002 Ichiro Suzuki
RF '88 Andre Dawson
SP '34 Carl Hubbell
SP '08 Walter Johnson
SP '77 Rick Reuschel
SP '08 Cy Falkenberg
SP '68 Mel Stottlemeyer
CL '96 Todd Worrell
SP '08 Tom Hughes
SP '68 Fritz Peterson
MR '96 Antonio Osuna
MR '68 Lindy McDaniel
MR '68 Steve Hamilton

AAA
MR '11 Joe Smith
MR '74 Doug Bird
1B '96 Eric Karros
C '47 Sherm Lollar
RF '68 Rocky Colavito
RF '96 Raul Mondesi
2B '08 Jim Delahanty
CF '08 Clyde Milan
code:
Lineups:

vs. lefthanders - no DH
1) LF Rickey Henderson
2) CF Carlos Beltran
3) 2B Rogers Hornsby
4) C Mike Piazza
5) 1B Mickey Mantle
6) RF Ichiro Suzuki
7) 3B Eddie Yost
8) SS Phil Rizzuto
Pitcher slot

vs. righthanders - no DH
1) LF Rickey Henderson
2) RF Ichiro Suzuki
3) 2B Rogers Hornsby
4) C Mike Piazza
5) CF Carlos Beltran
6) 1B Mark Grace
7) 3B Eddie Yost
8) SS Phil Rizzuto
Pitcher slot

vs. lefthanders - no DH
1) LF Rickey Henderson
2) CF Carlos Beltran
3) 2B Rogers Hornsby
4) C Mike Piazza
5) 1B Mickey Mantle
6) DH Andre Dawson
7) RF Ichiro Suzuki
8) 3B Eddie Yost
9) SS Phil Rizzuto

vs. righthanders - with DH
1) LF Rickey Henderson
2) RF Ichiro Suzuki
3) 2B Rogers Hornsby
4) C Mike Piazza
5) DH Mickey Mantle
6) CF Carlos Beltran
7) 1B Mark Grace
8) 3B Eddie Yost
9) SS Phil Rizzuto

Rotation
1) Carl Hubbell
2) Walter Johnson
3) Rick Reuschel
4) Cy Falkenberg
5) Mel Stottlemeyer

Bullpen
Closer: Todd Worrell
Setup: Lindy McDaniel
Short Relief: Steve Hamilton
Short Relief: Antonio Osuna
Middle Relief: Tom Hughes
Long Relief: Fritz Peterson
code:
Strategies:

Strategies:
Hit and Run: 1
Sacrifice Bunt: 0
Squeeze Play: 0
Trying for extra bases: 1 
Stealing Bases: 3
Aggressively Tagging Up: 1
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): 1
Giving Intentional Walks: -2
Pitching Around Good Hitters: 1
Bringing the Infield In: 2
Guarding the Lines: 1
Making Cutoff Throws: 0
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: +1
Bringing in Pinch Runners: +1
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: 0
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: +2
Letting pitchers pitch through trouble: 0
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: +3

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

cbx posted:

Jeez, I'm horrible at this Pick 'Em poo poo.
Especially so with these playoff pick ems, it all boils down to who can get lucky and nail one of the playoff series completely correct. CaptainYesterday just happened to be the first to strike the paydirt, and he's got a pretty commanding lead at this point.

By the way, I updated the pick em scores after today's gauntlet update. Absolutely no change to the top 3. CaptainYesterday's lead stands at 10 points.

And a point of business...

For the DLDS, swap out Alex Fernandez for Cliff Lee. I believe his injury was set to end with the end of the divisional series.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Pick TWO!

Tudor Misers

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Metsss and propane

The Goog