Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Shiroe is meant to be a tactical support mage while other mages are probably glass cannons. I still wonder how efficient his skills are since he was able to double-tap his Thorn skill. If he was capable of chaining a whole lot of them then it would be pretty silly, but if he burns his mp after 2-3 then it seems pretty reasonable for an end game skill. I assume that at lower levels that skill might be panic button against bosses because it gulps down the entire MP bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
They don't seem to know about the content from the new expansion in advance. They were surprised by the king rat, or whatever that was, and it was a lower level thing in an area they often traveled, though they just blasted through. I wouldn't be surprised if the increased level cap was also something unknown before the expansion dropped.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Shiroe is meant to be a tactical support mage while other mages are probably glass cannons. I still wonder how efficient his skills are since he was able to double-tap his Thorn skill. If he was capable of chaining a whole lot of them then it would be pretty silly, but if he burns his mp after 2-3 then it seems pretty reasonable for an end game skill. I assume that at lower levels that skill might be panic button against bosses because it gulps down the entire MP bar.

The other two mages are the Summoner and the Sorceror. The Sorceror is essentially a glass cannon while the Summoner only needs the MP to summon and then take to the rear while the Summons do the heavy lifting of DPS at presumably no additional cost to the Summoner.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

The other two mages are the Summoner and the Sorceror. The Sorceror is essentially a glass cannon while the Summoner only needs the MP to summon and then take to the rear while the Summons do the heavy lifting of DPS at presumably no additional cost to the Summoner.

I assume the Summoner would be able to buff his Sumonees in some way after summoning them. I wonder if we'll meet a summoner on Shiroe's adventures.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Desuwa posted:

They don't seem to know about the content from the new expansion in advance. They were surprised by the king rat, or whatever that was, and it was a lower level thing in an area they often traveled, though they just blasted through. I wouldn't be surprised if the increased level cap was also something unknown before the expansion dropped.

True, but they seem to be able to access the user interface of the game. They would have noticed if they started gaining XP again - though I suppose it's possible even that rat boss wasn't high enough level to give them any experience.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I can't believe no one here has already figured out that the great secret of the world is that you can make delicious meals if you actually cook mob dropped ingredients instead of relying on UI button prompts.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

ep5:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

pandaK posted:

I can't believe no one here has already figured out that the great secret of the world is that you can make delicious meals if you actually cook mob dropped ingredients instead of relying on UI button prompts.

It becomes a whole lot more plausible if the Cookery skill and Chef subclass were not popular before the Apocalypse. Remember how Shiroe and company were instaburning even simple meals when they tried cooking?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

pandaK posted:

Well, it seems that you need to know how to cook for real and have the cooking sub-class, even if you knew how to cook well for real without the sub-class you would have stuff just blow up in your face.

Putting that aside, I think the real revelation is that the "People of the Land" aka NPCs seem to be real people with there own thoughts, memories and desires. I think their actions are still predicated on their roots as game NPCs, for example a farmer NPC is still a farmer. This presents some really strange implications about what happened as far as players being sucked into the game world. What could give simple scripted AIs like NPCs apparent consciousness on the level of a real person? This smells of magic, "real" magic not game magic rather than technology, to me at least.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I liked this episode because it introduced some good conflict. The whole ordeal with the bullying guilds snatching up newbie players and it turning into a political mash really gets me engrossed, even if it is pretty hammy. Also I was totally right about the cooking thing, that was probably my favorite part of the series so far.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

So, I'm just going to assume that the People of the Land are 100% human now. Most of them don't seem to respawn according to the anime, so this puts NPC killing in a horrible, horrible light. You could imagine People of the Land actually rising against the adventurers because of their differences: how adventurers can just kill them without fear of a proper retaliation. Well, I suppose most MMOPRG's have players commit helpful actions to quest givers so...

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Did we establish it is possible to kill NPCs? I can't recall exactly, but I think that they were either killing or bullying them in the place where our heroes rescued the little girl druid from.

The whole idea of a cat-only guild where they laze around on front porches in the sun all day is terrific. Log in, move your toon to an open spot on the porch in a sunbeam, alt-tab to Crunchyroll and watch a video. Alt-tab back to make sure your cat-toon hasn't been disturbed by anything.

I just now realized that they call the event where they woke up in-game, the Apocalypse. I wonder why they use that word?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dan7el posted:

I just now realized that they call the event where they woke up in-game, the Apocalypse. I wonder why they use that word?

As I've understood it, the game world massively changed appearance after the event. Notice how the Akihabara city we're seeing is largely in ruins. Conversations about the as-a-game world made it sound like that wasn't the case previously, i.e. the game world suddenly turned into something post-apocalyptic.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It is pretty freaking weird for what seems to be a stereotypical fantasy game to suddenly switch to a post-apocayptic setting. It's like if the next WoW expansion changed the world into post-apocalyptic New York.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The setting was always loosely based on the real world. They mentioned the "half-Gaia project", so supposedly their world is the same as Japan except shrunk. And presumably there are other players in Elder Tale America or whatever.

That said, I don't think the "Apocalypse" refers to the game world changing its appearance. If anything, wouldn't it refer to the real world changing into the game world (from their perspective)? Seems pretty damned apocalyptic to me, and quite frankly I wouldn't exactly give a drat that the game world now has fancier textures compared to the fact that they're forced to live in it for unclear and probably unknowable reasons.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
When you think about it, "Novasphere Pioneers" is an awfully suspicious title for an expansion considering what happened, so it seems likely someone knew what was coming. But echoing what someone said earlier, whatever happened was absolutely inexplicable. Any sort of technological explanation stretches Clarke's law to the breaking point, particularly if you consider (first manga chapter spoilers, which the anime didn't show) Shiroe physically vanishing from the real world when he logs in as canon. By comparison, SAO went to great lengths to espouse a technological basis for the plot.

I'm kind of curious if whatever force caused the apocalypse is ever going to get brought up, or if it's just going to be author's fiat. Though I'm okay with the latter as long as the story stays interesting.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I'm starting to suspect the game interface stuff is just their mode of access to reach a game-like world. That's why the menu created foodstuff is tasteless, like their bodies and all the game UI, it's simply an emulation of reality, whereas the real stuff comes from interacting directly with the world. We see bits of that when they learn how skills work without going through the menu options as well.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Could it possibly be less that they were transported into a real world version of a video game and more they were originally playing a video game version of a real world and now they're in the real version of that world. The video game was a sort of training simulator for the eventual point when they were needed to combat some major threat in this real world. Or could I just be in need of some sleep.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

DurosKlav posted:

Could it possibly be less that they were transported into a real world version of a video game and more they were originally playing a video game version of a real world and now they're in the real version of that world. The video game was a sort of training simulator for the eventual point when they were needed to combat some major threat in this real world. Or could I just be in need of some sleep.

For that theory to ever work out, we'd need to see some real life action from before the Apocalypse happened to actually measure their growth.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dessel posted:

So, I'm just going to assume that the People of the Land are 100% human now. Most of them don't seem to respawn according to the anime, so this puts NPC killing in a horrible, horrible light. You could imagine People of the Land actually rising against the adventurers because of their differences: how adventurers can just kill them without fear of a proper retaliation. Well, I suppose most MMOPRG's have players commit helpful actions to quest givers so...

Throughout this show I've had flashbacks to EVE Online despite the radically different setting, and this development particularly put me in mind of the in-universe explanation of relations between NPCs and players. Players in that game are 'capsuleers', cybernetically-enhanced starship pilots who have achieved immortality through access to cloning technology and who are a match for dozens of mortal captains at once. Their currency is the ISK, or InterStellar Kredit, a form of tender so rarefied that most people would be lucky to see even ten, whilst capsuleers play around with millions, and they fly around in ships that can be over ten kilometres long and can flatten cities. To the ordinary people, the NPCs, they are insane, mercurial gods, wielding vast power, destabilising ancient empires, and casually murdering tens of thousands in the name of loot and lulz. The major factions try to harness that power for their own ends, but they know that any contract they form will likeely be temporary, and even that measure of control is slowly slipping away, and they're completely loving terrified.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

What if some apocalyptic event happened in the real world and it's the real world that's destroyed while the players were somehow "saved" by being transferred to the game world?

According to my Classical Greek professor in college, apocalypse basically means "uncovering the hidden." The word might be used for someone walking up to a simmering pot of something and gently lifting the lid to see what's cooking inside of it. The original "Revelations" book of the Bible is the Apocalypse. Since that book talks about the end-times and the end of the world, we generally associate Apocalypse with "major catastrophic events basically ending the world."

So, I wonder if the term they're using for the event might make more sense that their real world ended and they somehow ended up being "saved" by being transported, mentally or physically or both, into this game world.

I wonder about the physical, though. Isn't the assassin-class girl like 20-something? She can't possibly be that tiny in real life, can she? She's the size of a child -- and a rather small one at that.

They haven't even explored sex in this game world yet. I wonder if they'll get to that....

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

DurosKlav posted:

The problem with that is that the rules of the new world are completely unnatural as anything other than video game logic. Like the ingredients instantly poofing into ash if someone who isn't a cook tries to use it, or everything having HP displays. If they're in a new world, it would seem to be custom designed after Log Horizon rather than the other way around, right down to changing the laws of physics, which is in itself a mind boggling display of power.

Dan7el posted:

I wonder about the physical, though. Isn't the assassin-class girl like 20-something? She can't possibly be that tiny in real life, can she? She's the size of a child -- and a rather small one at that.

They haven't even explored sex in this game world yet. I wonder if they'll get to that....

Assassin girl is unique in that she used the shape change potion, so one assumes she choose her appearance when she used it (which may or may not be what she looks/looked like in real life). Maybe she just wanted to look like a young girl.

As for sex, I understand the channel and time its airing means we're getting a very sanitized version. From what I've heard the books do at least touch on it though.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Bremen posted:

The problem with that is that the rules of the new world are completely unnatural as anything other than video game logic. Like the ingredients instantly poofing into ash if someone who isn't a cook tries to use it, or everything having HP displays. If they're in a new world, it would seem to be custom designed after Log Horizon rather than the other way around, right down to changing the laws of physics, which is in itself a mind boggling display of power.
We only know that's how it goes when players do it. the NPCs seem to be able to craft ingredient items just fine.

quote:

Assassin girl is unique in that she used the shape change potion, so one assumes she choose her appearance when she used it (which may or may not be what she looks/looked like in real life). Maybe she just wanted to look like a young girl.
Wasn't the whole reason that she needed the shape change potion was that her avatar was massively taller than she was, and male to boot? Shiroe still has some difficulty moving around because his avatar is slightly taller, a large physique difference is probably pretty impractical for a frontline character.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

veekie posted:

We only know that's how it goes when players do it. the NPCs seem to be able to craft ingredient items just fine.

Yeah, but that would just be even more inexplicable.

veekie posted:

Wasn't the whole reason that she needed the shape change potion was that her avatar was massively taller than she was, and male to boot? Shiroe still has some difficulty moving around because his avatar is slightly taller, a large physique difference is probably pretty impractical for a frontline character.

True, but that doesn't mean she used the potion to adopt her real life form either. Or maybe she decided to look like she did when she was 15.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
She's sensitive about her height, so odds are that really is her true height, and she'd much rather roleplay tall dark and mysterious ninja.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Dan7el posted:

Remember that they are Japanese. While average heights have increased in recent years as a result of changing dietary habits, Japanese girls can still be pretty drat tiny from time to time (and Shiroe does mention that his character is taller than he really is back in ep1, and Naotsugu claims to be the same as his character, at about 183cm/6ft).

To pick an example of someone that people are probably at least vaguely aware of, Aoi Yuuki (voice of Madoka, Akira in VVV, etc) is 21 years old and only 143cm tall (~4ft 8in):

(pic from a few years ago when the cast of GOSICK was announced, but she was still 18 back then and hasn't exactly gotten any taller since).

Add some of the usual anime tendency to exaggerate physical features and Akatsuki isn't that much of a stretch.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

arhra posted:

To pick an example of someone that people are probably at least vaguely aware of, Aoi Yuuki (voice of Madoka, Akira in VVV, etc) is 21 years old and only 143cm tall (~4ft 8in):

(pic from a few years ago when the cast of GOSICK was announced, but she was still 18 back then and hasn't exactly gotten any taller since).
Woah, I knew she was tiny, but she looks more 12 than 18 there.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Felt like I blinked and missed the scene where Akatsuki actually wore a dress. Oh well.

The music video for the ED song is a pretty strange fit for a kids' show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNfboNEFh-g

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

darkgray posted:

Felt like I blinked and missed the scene where Akatsuki actually wore a dress. Oh well.

The music video for the ED song is a pretty strange fit for a kids' show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNfboNEFh-g

I don't think she actually puts one on. Unless I blinked and missed it too.

They've finally onfirmed the increased level cap, and Shiroe's finally grabbed his balls and decided to get poo poo done. I hope this means that the plot is going to start picking up after this.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
She made like a Ninja and hid the entire time.

I will admit that the whole herding lowbies to harvest them for XP boosters is kinda clever and something I could absolutely see happen in an MMO where you were restricted to a single char.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

She made like a Ninja and hid the entire time.

I will admit that the whole herding lowbies to harvest them for XP boosters is kinda clever and something I could absolutely see happen in an MMO where you were restricted to a single char.

It presents a hell of a dilemma, too, being an incredibly lucrative market that is exploitable in incredibly unethical ways. I don't think shutting down Hameln will end the demand, and it'd be interesting to see what long-term solutions to the problem anyone could come up with. EXP potions from organic, free-range newbies only?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

It presents a hell of a dilemma, too, being an incredibly lucrative market that is exploitable in incredibly unethical ways. I don't think shutting down Hameln will end the demand, and it'd be interesting to see what long-term solutions to the problem anyone could come up with. EXP potions from organic, free-range newbies only?

At a guess? The answer will be to level all the sub-30 players to 30 or higher, since theres no incoming stream of players, eventually this will happen naturally, but I'm sure Shiro could advance it faster.

Its a hell of a task though, even if he only focuses his efforts locally, he'll be working to effectively deprive every big guild of their potions.

Blue Rupie
Mar 25, 2013
But then if the amount of sub-30 players decrease, wouldn't the demand of EXP pots rise till players just stop leveling up and swim around with cash?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was getting eve-vibes before from this, but drat, this show has everything. Exploiting newbies for personal gain, check. Ruthless market competition, check, guild propaganda and war machine, check. I liked this from the start, but this is starting to grow on me to the point that this is my favorite show of the season.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Makes me hope that there's a Goonfleet equivalent band of weirdos that just mess with people all the time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blue Rupie posted:

But then if the amount of sub-30 players decrease, wouldn't the demand of EXP pots rise till players just stop leveling up and swim around with cash?

Also remember that lowbies, being lowbies, are inherently vulnerable to higher-levelled players, who would have more of an incentive to exploit them as the market dries up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Makes me hope that there's a Goonfleet equivalent band of weirdos that just mess with people all the time.

We already saw them. Demikus was Vytas.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Conot posted:

At a guess? The answer will be to level all the sub-30 players to 30 or higher, since theres no incoming stream of players, eventually this will happen naturally, but I'm sure Shiro could advance it faster.

Its a hell of a task though, even if he only focuses his efforts locally, he'll be working to effectively deprive every big guild of their potions.

There is no reason that the number of sub-30 people needs to decrease over time, after all it said that they get the EXP-pot once per day, there is no need for them to gain EXP at all. You could just lock them up outside of town somewhere and tell them to give you their EXP-pot or you will beat them. Since damage apparently causes one to feel real pain this would work as an incentive, you keep a healer around to patch them back up and just keep doing the beating/healing cycle until you break them and they just give you their pot every day.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There is no reason that the number of sub-30 people needs to decrease over time, after all it said that they get the EXP-pot once per day, there is no need for them to gain EXP at all. You could just lock them up outside of town somewhere and tell them to give you their EXP-pot or you will beat them. Since damage apparently causes one to feel real pain this would work as an incentive, you keep a healer around to patch them back up and just keep doing the beating/healing cycle until you break them and they just give you their pot every day.

This isn't the impression I got from last episode when Minorin and her brother were out partying with the two high level guys. Why take any of the Hamlin kids out at all? They can't contribute meaningfully to any combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Conot posted:

This isn't the impression I got from last episode when Minorin and her brother were out partying with the two high level guys. Why take any of the Hamlin kids out at all? They can't contribute meaningfully to any combat.
I think the idea was to wring some marginal additional value out of them by having them do lower-level fights, it's just that their overseer was too dumb/proud to do it in a productive manner by actually sticking to fights they could win.

• Locked thread