Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

I said come in! posted:

How does Asseto Corsa play on controllers? For those of us who can't use racing wheels anymore, which feels like having a disability. :(

While I have a G27 - the person I lent it to lost the power lead. So I'm using a 360 controller at the moment.

Its very sensitive with very little tweaking options. The dead-zones don't seem to do anything in game (though my controller normally needs a dead-zone of 20 in PCARS before it stops pulling sitting to the left all the time) so I have to compensate for that.

But I've been able to pull off some nice times, even in the Lotus 49, which I'm not normally able to do in most sims with a 360 controller.

So far its playable. If you've played the tech demo thing they launched, its much the same so you'll be fine if you could control that, but you have to be on your toes all of the time as things can get away from you without you having any feedback.

Still, I've enjoyed it, but its made me want to go and buy a new power lead for my wheel, more then anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What I don't understand is why so many driving games or at least the Windows HID control panel doesn't allow for trim, I have a controller that tracks a bit and its annoying to have to adjust deadzones or sensitivity to stop it.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Fayez Butts posted:

poo poo, Assetto Corsa features the classic Monza circuit with this crazy banked turn:

I don't think this config is in the game right now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's not. The oval is blocked off.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Am I crazy? Or is H pattern broken for all the cars?

It worked in the alpha damnit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Works fine for me. Did you set it up properly?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Cojawfee posted:

Works fine for me. Did you set it up properly?

I assigned all the buttons and put it into pro-mode.

No idea what else I need to do.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

There is a checkbox above the shifter assignment you need to tick.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I think the dumbest thing about AC is that I need to invert all my pedal controls by default.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

This is like Netkar with a better interface, updated physics, and a very different car selection. I certainly feel in control -- moreso than rF2, that's for sure.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

deebo posted:

There is a checkbox above the shifter assignment you need to tick.

The 'Use Separate Shifter'?

That doesn't make sense since my shifter is not separate from my wheel. But I'll try it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's not a checkbox saying "Hey, there's another device to use as a shifter" it's just saying "Use these buttons as a shifter as well."

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I am so close to getting Asseto Corsa... it looks really good.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

An Enormous Boner posted:

This is like Netkar with a better interface, updated physics, and a very different car selection. I certainly feel in control -- moreso than rF2, that's for sure.

The problem with RF2 is the default setup on most cars is horrible. Anyone who tries the demo with the C6R/Lime Rock is immediately going to think "nope." A decent setup and the car is planted to the road.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

CactusWeasle posted:

The problem with RF2 is the default setup on most cars is horrible. Anyone who tries the demo with the C6R/Lime Rock is immediately going to think "nope." A decent setup and the car is planted to the road.

Still, even with the most planted cars in rF2, it feels completely different than this. The FFB is a lot easier to lean on for information in AC than in rF2.

Again, if you thought Netkar was great to drive, this is something that you should definitely look at.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Well, now I've gone and paid up for my early access.

What cars are available right now? I'm seeing alot of pretty pretty cars on offer in the steam screenshots, such as an F40 and 1970s Ferrari F1 car.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Falken posted:

Well, now I've gone and paid up for my early access.

What cars are available right now? I'm seeing alot of pretty pretty cars on offer in the steam screenshots, such as an F40 and 1970s Ferrari F1 car.

ARS

PRODUCTION
- ABARTH 500 ESSEESSE
- LOTUS ELISE SC
- LOTUS EXIGE SCURA

GT
- BMW M3 E30 EVOLUZIONE
- BMW M3 E92
- BMW Z4 E89

GTR
- BMW M3 GT2

CLASSIC GP
- CLASSIC TEAM LOTUS TYPE 49

SUPERCAR
- FERRARI 458 ITALIA

TRACKDAY
- KTM X-BOW R

OPEN WHEEL
- TATUUS FA01

TRACKS

- AUTODROMO DI MAGIONE
- AUTODROMO DI IMOLA
- SILVERSTONE - INTERNATIONAL
- AUTODROMO DI MONZA CLASSIC 60'S EDITION

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's a few BMWs available like the E30, the E92 M3 and a Z4 gt3 or something. There is the 458 italia, Lotus 49. A modern lotus car and some others. The only thing keeping me from playing right now is the tracks kind of suck. Silverstone is boring. I'm waiting for Spa and Mugello.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

One thing I'm glad they included (and enabled by default) is a camera mode that keeps your eyes level with the horizon. It's something that is in iRacing configs and can be modded in to rF and rF2, and it's great. Almost all other first person cameras make the mistake of anchoring the driver's view to the headrest, which is not ideal... it means your brain has to work overdrive trying to maintain a sense of where the car is actually headed against all the bouncing. This kind of camera still gives you all the bounce and stuff, but it's the car moving around and with the driver instead of having it all lumped together.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Owning netkar pro gets you the assetto corsa alpha.

Anyone know if this is still true, or is it too late now it's launched on Steam? For 3.99 I'm probably going to get Netkar anyway.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

Anyone know if this is still true, or is it too late now it's launched on Steam? For 3.99 I'm probably going to get Netkar anyway.

Owning Netkar doesn't get you access to the Early Access that's on steam right now, only the technology preview that's hosted on their site.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

An Enormous Boner posted:

One thing I'm glad they included (and enabled by default) is a camera mode that keeps your eyes level with the horizon. It's something that is in iRacing configs and can be modded in to rF and rF2, and it's great. Almost all other first person cameras make the mistake of anchoring the driver's view to the headrest, which is not ideal... it means your brain has to work overdrive trying to maintain a sense of where the car is actually headed against all the bouncing. This kind of camera still gives you all the bounce and stuff, but it's the car moving around and with the driver instead of having it all lumped together.
Yeah, I noticed this too. Just blasted around Imola a couple times round in the BMW M3 GT2 car and I have fallen in love already.

e: Way too much fun can be had by Scandinavian-flicking the E30 around Silverstone.

e2: Not that it's bothering me, but good luck if you use hood cam on a white car as the HUD gets drowned out entirely. Also, the Lotus Exige does not ever want to drive in a straight line.

So far the most fun cars for me from best to worst: E30 M3 > E92 M3 > Lotus 49 > Junior Formula thingy.

Falken fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 10, 2013

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Cojawfee posted:

There's a few BMWs available like the E30, the E92 M3 and a Z4 gt3 or something. There is the 458 italia, Lotus 49. A modern lotus car and some others. The only thing keeping me from playing right now is the tracks kind of suck. Silverstone is boring. I'm waiting for Spa and Mugello.

If your going to buy eventually, why not buy now at the lower price?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Thank you Assetto Corsa for introducing me to Autodromo Valleunga. Really fun circuit, much more entertaining than Imola. Down to a 1:38.520 in the Tatuus Formula Abarth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Falken posted:

Thank you Assetto Corsa for introducing me to Autodromo Valleunga. Really fun circuit, much more entertaining than Imola. Down to a 1:38.520 in the Tatuus Formula Abarth.

I guess they haven't quite put in a checkpoint system yet because you can take that first right after the pit straight and drive back around to the straight. I got a 56.168 second lap.

alr
May 14, 2009
I've decided I'm going to put my Xbox + Forza money towards a new monitor and a wheel, what with Assetto Corsa and Project Cars on the way. I'm in Aus, and G27s are around $300 AUD. How do they stack up vs the Fanatec 911 GT3 RS V2 / Forza CSR? They're all about my price range, but I've vaguely followed info on the Fanatecs in the Forza threads in the past and heard about pedals that weren't quite up to par and iffy customer service. Has that changed over the last year or two, and is the Forza CSR a better wheel or are you paying the $50 extra for the Forza branding and 360 compatibility? A GT3 RS wheel + pedals set and a shifter package will set me back around $340 delivered, is the $40 over the G27 worth it?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

alr posted:

I've decided I'm going to put my Xbox + Forza money towards a new monitor and a wheel, what with Assetto Corsa and Project Cars on the way. I'm in Aus, and G27s are around $300 AUD. How do they stack up vs the Fanatec 911 GT3 RS V2 / Forza CSR? They're all about my price range, but I've vaguely followed info on the Fanatecs in the Forza threads in the past and heard about pedals that weren't quite up to par and iffy customer service. Has that changed over the last year or two, and is the Forza CSR a better wheel or are you paying the $50 extra for the Forza branding and 360 compatibility? A GT3 RS wheel + pedals set and a shifter package will set me back around $340 delivered, is the $40 over the G27 worth it?

Don't even think about the Porsche wheel. They are no longer updating firmware for it. If you get a fanatec, get the csr.

As for the csr vs the g27, I own both. The fanatec csr is the better wheel and you're going to get better customer service if stuff goes wrong from fanatec. Here's my anecdotal evidence.

In the heat of racing my csr shifter snaps at the bottom of the shaft. I email fanatec a picture and they ship me an entire new shifter set (both H pattern and sequential with mounting rods) instead of just the part I broke. It was sent to me in the mail within 4 days and they never asked for any of the old set. The original broke within a month of purchasing. The new shifter they sent still works and it's been a year since then. I replaced the shifter with a different shifter about a month ago but not because it didn't work, but because I needed one with better mounting options.
Contrast that with my experience with Logitech

I buy the last g27 in the store. Bring it home and it's DOA. Call Logitech and we do some troubleshooting. It doesn't come back to life. Just as I'm expecting to start setting up RMA they say they don't repair these and to just take it back to the store. I say they didn't have any more in stock and I want it either repaired or replaced. They said they could transfer me to the orders department so I could order a new one from Logitech for more than I paid at micro center. I declined. Took the thing back to the store, micro center ordered me another one and honored their clearance price, luckily.

As for the equipment itself. The g27 looks nicer. The fanatec works better though. The base of the fanatec is more sturdy and the force feedback generated by the base is much smoother and quiet. The g27's force feedback is a lot choppier and you can tell that it's gear based and you can feel and hear it slipping and grinding it's plastic gears sometimes. Both feel good while driving and each is as accurate as the other as an actual steering control but once you add force feedback into the mix the fanatec comes out ahead.

Fanatec pedals are much better if you get the csr elite pedal set. The brakes have a load cell which makes them feel and react like a real brake pedal with variable resistance all along the entire travel of the pedal. The g27 pedals on the other hand, are not variable travel at all, so it's difficult to find the point on the brake pedal where the wheels are about to lock. The fanatec pedals are actually a little bit larger too, making heel-toe much easier.

The g27 shifter is clearly better than the csr shifter. It looks nicer, feels nicer, and has better mounting options than the fanatec. That's the reason I still use a g27 shifter with my fanatec setup. (An adapter is available)

The Logitech has better compatibility on pc than the fanatec. In some games you won't get as many options for tweaking wheel settings like degrees of rotation or button mapping with the fanatec. But for the pc you can actually put the fanatec in Logitech mode (this is the mode used when connected to a ps3 as well) and run Logitech drivers and suddenly you've got the best of both worlds. Button mapping and tweaking issues go away when the games think you're using a g27.

Overall, the fanatec is better for me. More sturdy wheel, better force feedback, better feeling pedals, and Xbox 360 compatibility win out over the better looks of the Logitech. In pc compatibility they come out even because of fanatec's Logitech mode.

So yeah, the fanatec is worth the extra money.

alr
May 14, 2009
Cheers for the write up. Apparently Fanatec did a black friday deal last year, I'll keep an eye out as that rolls around and maybe do something stupid.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

alr posted:

Cheers for the write up. Apparently Fanatec did a black friday deal last year, I'll keep an eye out as that rolls around and maybe do something stupid.

Welp, same here.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
gently caress you for making me want to spend way to much money updating my setup.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
So I just saw Assetto Corsa on steam and it's got my interest. What are people's opinions so far? I'm a huge F1 fan and was considering the latest f1 2013, but this seems just as enticing for a lot less money.

I haven't played a PC racing sim since TOCA 2 and its glorious difficulty, is AC going to be as challenging?

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 15, 2013

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Barnsy posted:

So I just saw Assetto Corsa on steam and it's got my interest. What are people's opinions so far? I'm a huge F1 fan and was considering the latest f1 2013, but this seems just as enticing for a lot less money.

I haven't played a PC racing sim since TOCA 2 and its glorious difficulty, is AC going to be as challenging?

Its early still. Currently is only has Hotlap, Time Trial and some other stuff that's essentially the same thing, but it feels very, very good to drive, and has a nice variety of cars and tracks for an alpha.

Keep in mind though, you can drive with a 360 controller, though it takes a lot of getting used to, so you REALLY want to have a wheel. But if you're willing to persist with a controller, you can become competitive.

I've been playing with the controller for a while now, as the power supply on my G27 died, and I'm still really enjoying it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It feels pretty good so far.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Thanks to you guys, I'm gonna snag AC tonight. If I have two unfinished racing games (AC and rF2) that's sort of like having one complete game right?

I'm looking forward to the M3.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Yup, got it as well. I'll let you know my thoughts after giving it a thrashing.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Does anyone know when Dirt 3 might be getting its DLC fixed? I really just want to thrash around an old Mini Cooper in any game that'll let me but having trouble as Race07 doesn't work well with an xbox pad it seems and Dirt3 is my next choice but all the DLC for it is currently unavailable due to games for windows live shenanigans.

On an unrelated note Dragon Ages DLC is all buggered up too, its like any game I try to play is broken in some manner or another. :(

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Can someone explain to me what I need to do with my Rf2 poo poo? I still have all of the old mod packs installed but they eventually went the route of having individual cars and maps, right? So, I should uninstall all of the packs and install all of the cars and tracks one by one, or are there some packs that I should keep installed? It's all quite confusing.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
As of now, all the cars and tracks have been released as individual components; you don't need any packs as there are no more dependencies. You can install what cars and tracks you want and nothing more. Their original method was an absolute mess, ie needing the GT pack because the Megane pack needed tracks in it. Thankfully that's gone now.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

So we have some news regarding Assetto Corsa's first update.

quote:

As announced before, new updates for the beta will be available every two week as the first update will be ready exactly 14 days after the initial release, on November 22.

The new update will bring new features as well as new content as three new cars and two new tracks will be included – More details on the upcoming content has have yet to be revealed.
http://www.virtualr.net/assetto-corsa-first-update-coming-november-22

AndiiLMS has unlocked the in development photomode. (YAY!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob5hBb-aO9w

And finally, Kegetys has already modded in custom tracks... without the modding tools! Not just that, the track looks like something out of the old game Stunts!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ8X2iD2wfM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tehsid posted:

And finally, Kegetys has already modded in custom tracks... without the modding tools! Not just that, the track looks like something out of the old game Stunts!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ8X2iD2wfM

My god it's like Hard Drivin for the 21st century!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W31SNgplqQ

• Locked thread