Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Fancy_Lad posted:

Does OpenElec have some sort of macro system? I'm interested in giving it a shot as I really want to treat my HTPC as an appliance, but that is the one thing that I do with my Windows based HTPC that I'm not entirely sure will work on it.

Right now I have dedicated buttons on my remote to do things like rename a directory in my rip directory in a few different ways that I later use to sort into the proper archive directory. I'm using EventGhost to issue an XBMC rename command, send the home key, then input the text pattern depending on the button pressed. Is this reproducible in OpenElec?
I would rather start thinking about reforming my way of doing things than try to look for a way to map folder renaming functions to my remote on Linux.

It's probably doable if you hack together some scripts, but I don't see the point when you could then rather automate the whole process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Keito posted:

I would rather start thinking about reforming my way of doing things than try to look for a way to map folder renaming functions to my remote on Linux.

It's probably doable if you hack together some scripts, but I don't see the point when you could then rather automate the whole process.

Fair enough.

I want to be able to have category lists for things like 3d movies, my favorites, wife's favorites, kids, etc. I'm doing this right now by having separate directories on the file server and using a list of different sources on the videos view for each of them. After ripping and watching the show, we just hit the button on my harmony remote's screen for what category to put it in and it automatically renames the dir the movie resides in. I have a scheduled script that puts renamed movies/tv/home video in the right landing zone dir based on the name (and it scrapes off the keyword that I had placed on the dir during the process). The downsides to this are that I only know how to do the rename in Windows with Eventghost and moving the file on the drive also loses watched information. Everything else is easy and/or automated.

What is the best way to accomplish something similar to this otherwise? I need setting the category/tag/whatever to be entirely from within XBMC so my wife can just hit the right button on the remote to put it in the correct category. I also have multiple clients.

Last time I looked at this I figured the Tags functionality in the library was the best bet, but I couldn't figure out a way to tag movies directly - only by going to the tag, editing it, and then selecting from the giant list of all movies what to add. I decided to stick with Windows instead of dealing with that hacky mess :)

I know this all sounds rather spergy, and it is, but we have an embarrassingly large collection and need some way to segment it out so it is manageable.

Harsh Tokerman
Oct 25, 2004

Godinster posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for the resolution on XBMC being low when coming back from sleep? I use XBMC Launcher which works fine but the program still looks about 1/4-1/2 of the typical 1080p, making me reload the program each time.

I looked on their forums but all of it seems to be Mac specific stuff that didn't apply.

My setup:
XBMC Gotham on a Windows 7 HTPC [had same issue on Frodo]
Onkyo Receiver [HDMI connection fromver to HTPC]
Samsung 60" Plasma
Harmony Remote

Edit: The resolution apparently is still 1920x1080 based on print screen, but it looks like garbage. http://i.imgur.com/JhS8rE1.jpg for reference

Have you tried pressing the \ key twice? It toggles the window mode, and usually fixes it when it happens to me.

Depending on the order I turn off my TV and receiver, the receiver will default to 1024x768 when it loses the TV's signal, so XBMC resizes and when you turn the TV back on you have a window much like that. I've never figured out how to prevent it from not doing that without bypassing the receiver, but pressing \ twice will always fix it.

edit - I also use an Onkyo receiver, rc260.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Fancy_Lad posted:

I want to be able to have category lists for things like 3d movies, my favorites, wife's favorites, kids, etc. I'm doing this right now by having separate directories on the file server and using a list of different sources on the videos view for each of them. After ripping and watching the show, we just hit the button on my harmony remote's screen for what category to put it in and it automatically renames the dir the movie resides in. I have a scheduled script that puts renamed movies/tv/home video in the right landing zone dir based on the name (and it scrapes off the keyword that I had placed on the dir during the process). The downsides to this are that I only know how to do the rename in Windows with Eventghost and moving the file on the drive also loses watched information. Everything else is easy and/or automated.

Last time I looked at this I figured the Tags functionality in the library was the best bet, but I couldn't figure out a way to tag movies directly - only by going to the tag, editing it, and then selecting from the giant list of all movies what to add. I decided to stick with Windows instead of dealing with that hacky mess :)

I didn't realize you were running this kind of organizational system that can't be automated, sorry replying the way I did. For things like 3D movies I'd suggest a smart playlist, assuming the XBMC devs have added it as something you can easily filter in that way or the folders/file names are tagged in an easily identifiable way.

As for "subjective" category lists, that's more difficult. I was first thinking regular playlists could be doable, but tags sound like they would've been perfect if they had only been added to the system in a more sensible way. Unfortunately, it seems that functionality had to step aside in favor of simplicity:

Montellese, creator of the tags system posted:

The reason I put all the "New tag...", "Add movies" and "Remove movies" into the tags node is because I didn't wanna put any more buttons/context menu entries into the movie view. There the context menu is already too full as it is.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1108

Considering they want to cut down the context menu to only a few buttons with everything useful hidden away in submenus for the upcoming next release of XBMC, it didn't really come as a shock. Personally I find it saddening that we've gotten to the point of the project's lifespan where the developers decide it's become too complicated and start dumbing down their software in a misguided direction.

Tags should really be something you can just quickly apply to one item at the time by opening the context menu on it. They could have a minimal default context menu that users can freely modify themselves from within the program if they want to make it easy to use.

In my case I don't need to make the system comprehensible for anyone but myself and barely use any categories outside of what's built into XBMC, so I unfortunately can't provide any better suggestion than to keep doing what you're already doing as long as it's working. :shrug:

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Fancy_Lad posted:

Fair enough.

What is the best way to accomplish something similar to this otherwise? I need setting the category/tag/whatever to be entirely from within XBMC so my wife can just hit the right button on the remote to put it in the correct category. I also have multiple clients.

I know this all sounds rather spergy, and it is, but we have an embarrassingly large collection and need some way to segment it out so it is manageable.

You could do this via LIRC and some shell scripts, but in the end after reading that I thought "yes, he has a reason to use Windows".

I mean, it could be done but you will almost certainly find it to be far more trouble than it's worth.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
Is there anyway to get XBMC to output dummy audio or something of the format (Dolby D, PLII, etc) that the video I select is on? My PC sends to my Onkyo TX-NR509 by default Multich Stereo, but it takes a few seconds to switch over to Dolby D, etc. Which makes me miss the first few seconds of shows.
Everything is output via HDMI on a 5770. Windows 7 pro (which might go to windows 8.1 soonish)

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Tedronai66 posted:

Is there anyway to get XBMC to output dummy audio or something of the format (Dolby D, PLII, etc) that the video I select is on? My PC sends to my Onkyo TX-NR509 by default Multich Stereo, but it takes a few seconds to switch over to Dolby D, etc. Which makes me miss the first few seconds of shows.
Everything is output via HDMI on a 5770. Windows 7 pro (which might go to windows 8.1 soonish)

Only way I can think off off-hand - which would probably do exactly what you want - is to use the Cinema Experience addon (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87563) which can play whatever content you want before a movie or show starts.

Probably take some doing configuration wise to map it to your situation but you are going to have that regardless.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Tedronai66 posted:

I used to use a program called "Continuous Silence" that would just constantly poo poo out silent audio to keep my crappy receiver (Logitech z-5500) thinking there was a digital signal. I was having the exact problem you're having and it worked like a charm. I can't find it anymore however. If you search for 'continuous silence z5500' on Google you will find mention of it. Maybe somewhere buried there is a working link.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Keito posted:

In my case I don't need to make the system comprehensible for anyone but myself and barely use any categories outside of what's built into XBMC, so I unfortunately can't provide any better suggestion than to keep doing what you're already doing as long as it's working. :shrug:

Ixian posted:

You could do this via LIRC and some shell scripts, but in the end after reading that I thought "yes, he has a reason to use Windows".

I mean, it could be done but you will almost certainly find it to be far more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks for trying... My current system works fine except for EventGhost having a tenancy to be a bit crashy. About once every couple weeks on my main box the program itself crashes and all the MCE remote plugins I have tried for it also tend to crash multiple times a day if it is heavily used. I'm to the point where I just keep a script running in the background that loops attempting to restart the MCE plugin service every 3 seconds so when it does crash at least the remote is only unresponsive for a couple seconds.

Perhaps I should just look for an Eventghost replacement instead... I used to use Girder back in like 03 and that was solid, but it has gone paid now. If anyone has suggestions, let me know.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Is there a tried and true formula for getting the most compatibility out of rtmp streams in XBMC? Like the constantly updated ones in Navi-x? I've learned about librtmp, and have (I think) updated it to RedPenguin's latest build, but I keep on hearing about the actual rtmpdump binaries, but I don't know how those are incorporated into XBMC beyond the aformentioned librtmp.dll. Is there something I'm missing?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

status posted:

I used to use a program called "Continuous Silence" that would just constantly poo poo out silent audio to keep my crappy receiver (Logitech z-5500) thinking there was a digital signal. I was having the exact problem you're having and it worked like a charm. I can't find it anymore however. If you search for 'continuous silence z5500' on Google you will find mention of it. Maybe somewhere buried there is a working link.

Not quite my problem. It's more needing to output audio in silence in the correct format per video, while my receiver catches up.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Tedronai66 posted:

Not quite my problem. It's more needing to output audio in silence in the correct format per video, while my receiver catches up.

I believe this will be a built in feature for Gotham (if it's not already available), I know there are various Gotham builds for the RPi around that have this feature included.

You could also try using the advancedsetting.xml <streamsilence>1</streamsilence> (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Advancedsettings.xml#.3Caudio.3E) and just pausing when you start playing something (it will stream silent audio in the format of the media while paused).

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Sendo posted:

I believe this will be a built in feature for Gotham (if it's not already available), I know there are various Gotham builds for the RPi around that have this feature included.

You could also try using the advancedsetting.xml <streamsilence>1</streamsilence> (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Advancedsettings.xml#.3Caudio.3E) and just pausing when you start playing something (it will stream silent audio in the format of the media while paused).

I'll try this when I get back home, thanks!

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
This thread moves faster than the Raspberry Pi one so I'll ask here

Anyone with experience with Raspbmc able to tell me if you can drop out of XBMC into the Debian session like you would with XBMCBuntu? I like OpenElec but I'd really like to be able to use things like Nuvola Player http://nuvolaplayer.fenryxo.cz/home.html so I could listen to Google Music.

For that matter does the Raspbian build use PulseAudio? I could just stream directly from my current computer to the Raspberry. Airtunes doesn't recieve from any RAOP sinks I create on my Linux session when running OpenElec on the RaspPi. After installing paprefs on Linux Mint it certainly recognizes the OpenElec build as an Airtunes target but nothing ever happens when I stream to it. The Media player just doesn't play songs, it stops at the current time. I believe this is because the RaspPi uses OSS or Alsa but I'm not positive on this.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 6, 2013

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Hey so since Google Reader shut down I don't spend hours a day reading RSS feeds, and I miss stuff like this:

XBMC 13 Gotham September/October

quote:

Because of our Devcon 2013 meeting we were to busy to put up a decent monthly blog post. So let’s sum up the changes done so far after the September cyle.

September cycle

ActiveAE – A Simpler Approach to Audio

With the September month’s alpha, we are also excited to introduce ActiveAE, an engine for audio that’s based off AudioEngine but designed to be faster, simpler, and lighter on the CPU. ActiveAE relies on FFmpeg for audio conversion and is available now on Windows, Linux, BSD, and Android. Very early work exists to get it working on OSX too, though no set date exists for its incorporation.

Features of ActiveAE include its being an event-based system; CPU load is significantly reduced, allowing for implementation on weaker systems like Android; Resampler quality can be chosen; gapless playback is now working; and E-AC3 is supported. In addition, quite a lot of little, difficult to narrow down bugs have been tracked down and fixed, including code that reaches all the way into SSE. This hopefully solves the issues we had in our Frodo release that a minority of the users experienced and improves the audio experience in general.

The list of individuals responsible for all this work is quite extensive with pieces touched by nearly the entire team, including wiso’s work on Windows and Voyager’s work debugging SSE and giving feedback, not to mention input from almost everyone on the Audio Settings rewrite. Special mention should go to both FernetMenta and fritsch, who led the charge. Finally, an extra special thanks to the many users who provided testing and feedback in the ActiveAE testing thread. This work couldn’t have been done without you.

As a heads up for next month, we have also refurbished the audio settings to make them easier to configure. You’ll be able to see that work now in nightlies or in next month’s alpha.

Of course there were more changes, but those changes mostly contained code re-factoring/improvement and bugfixing.

A complete change log for the interested can be found here

October Cycle

Actually for October there isn’t much to report for new features added. This months list contains a whole list of code re-factoring/improvement and bugfixing which we don’t want to bore you with.

Android MediaCodec:
This allows native use of the Android API for video playback on Android 4.1 (and up) devices

Android x86 architecture support:
We already provided Android build that run on ARM architecture devices however from this month on we will also provide x86 architecture builds.

Ability to development on non-jailbroken devices:
This allows developers who have an Apple developer account (so not for regular users!) to be able to run and development XBMC on non-jailbroken devices. This is however without and video HW acceleration support. So again, this is NOT for normal users, only for developers.

Complete change log for the interested can be found here.

I also missed that Gotham is now feature frozen (freezed?), and they're predicting betas to start being released sometime after December 10th.

Finally, there's an interesting breakdown of platform usage here, although it isn't a surprise that Win7 64bit is drastically in the lead. More interesting is that based on their add-on usage, they estimate around 1.9 million total installs out there. Pretty good!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EC posted:

Hey so since Google Reader shut down I don't spend hours a day reading RSS feeds, and I miss stuff like this:

XBMC 13 Gotham September/October

I also missed that Gotham is now feature frozen (freezed?), and they're predicting betas to start being released sometime after December 10th.

Finally, there's an interesting breakdown of platform usage here, although it isn't a surprise that Win7 64bit is drastically in the lead. More interesting is that based on their add-on usage, they estimate around 1.9 million total installs out there. Pretty good!

Given that they are feature freezes, I take it the following features didn't make it:

UPnP based shared library
Game Console Emulation via RetroLib
Binary plugin/addon support

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Lowen SoDium posted:

Given that they are feature freezes, I take it the following features didn't make it:

Looks that way. There's always....Hogwarts?

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

Was binary plugins actually going to be a thing? I thought they were adamantly against them because they wouldn't work on all systems or something.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

redhalo posted:

Was binary plugins actually going to be a thing? I thought they were adamantly against them because they wouldn't work on all systems or something.

I have heard that and I have heard that they were working on some kind of support for closed sourced addons for mainstream content providers.

Their best bet at this point might be to include Webkit as an HTML5 renderer and hope that more streaming content providers use HTML5 in the future.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am going to cross post this in the HTPC thread because it was a huge help for me.

I had built a low-end, low-powered HTPC that was capable of running 1080p movies in XBMC just fine, but I always had weird issues like having to press the IR remote numerous times for a button to register, random lockups, videos all of a sudden running at 5fps, etc.
I was about to give up and go Roku or something when I decided to do a bit of research. Turns out that though Confluence is considered the "fastest", all of my problems were solved by switching to the "Amber" skin/theme.

It makes absolutely no sense to me that it would fix all of my issues (especially the IR remote issues :wtc: ) but I just wanted to recommend it to people, especially if you are using one of those Zonet or low-powered HTPCs.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Turns out that though Confluence is considered the "fastest"
I have never heard that before, Confluence ain't a heavyweighter but there are definitely lots of lighter skins available. Amber is my favorite as well on weaker hardware, you made a good choice. It's weird that you'd get that many lockups, but if your hardware is really low-end I guess the rendering could have slowed it down considerably . You might want to try setting an even more aggressive dirty regions mode to make it snappier.

PS. Did you catch the COBRA 7.00 news I posted over in the PS3 CFW thread? I think you'd be interested.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Keito posted:

I have never heard that before, Confluence ain't a heavyweighter but there are definitely lots of lighter skins available. Amber is my favorite as well on weaker hardware, you made a good choice. It's weird that you'd get that many lockups, but if your hardware is really low-end I guess the rendering could have slowed it down considerably . You might want to try setting an even more aggressive dirty regions mode to make it snappier.

I kept reading on XBMC that Confluence was considered one of the best for low-end systems. I guess I never tried another skin because I could have never imagined it would result in such odd behavior (especially the IR remote lag). The strangest is I'd get slowdowns and lockups right after a 1080p video flawlessly played. Such a strange thing to lock up a system constantly (I am talking like 3 times per week, easy).

It's an Atom 230 (1.6ghz) with 2GB of RAM and an SSD. So yeah it's a pathetic system (don't care about games or emulators, just want it for movies/TV shows from an NAS), but it definitely seemed like it was enough to run XBMC perfectly when I built it. Turns out it apparently is fine; and Confluence was screwing everything up.

In all fairness though I turned off a bunch of other stuff too like RSS feed and Weather (two features I didn't know slowed the system down).

I will give "dirty regions" a try because I never heard of it before and I never, ever use subtitles or any on-screen stuff. Thank you so much for posting that.

Keito posted:

PS. Did you catch the COBRA 7.00 news I posted over in the PS3 CFW thread? I think you'd be interested.

I did not! Thank you x100 for mentioning it! :h: :h: :h:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

I kept reading on XBMC that Confluence was considered one of the best for low-end systems. I guess I never tried another skin because I could have never imagined it would result in such odd behavior (especially the IR remote lag). The strangest is I'd get slowdowns and lockups right after a 1080p video flawlessly played. Such a strange thing to lock up a system constantly (I am talking like 3 times per week, easy).

It's an Atom 230 (1.6ghz) with 2GB of RAM and an SSD. So yeah it's a pathetic system (don't care about games or emulators, just want it for movies/TV shows from an NAS), but it definitely seemed like it was enough to run XBMC perfectly when I built it. Turns out it apparently is fine; and Confluence was screwing everything up.

In all fairness though I turned off a bunch of other stuff too like RSS feed and Weather (two features I didn't know slowed the system down).

I will give "dirty regions" a try because I never heard of it before and I never, ever use subtitles or any on-screen stuff. Thank you so much for posting that.

I did not! Thank you x100 for mentioning it! :h: :h: :h:

I was about to say that my XBMC system was about the same and runs heavy skins without an issue, but then I checked. Mine is an Atom330 1.6Ghz OCed to 2.0Ghz with an Nvidia ION GPU. with 4GB of ram. So it's pretty much 2x the specs as yours with a better GPU.

It's also over 4 years old now. Wow...

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lowen SoDium posted:

I was about to say that my XBMC system was about the same and runs heavy skins without an issue, but then I checked. Mine is an Atom330 1.6Ghz OCed to 2.0Ghz with an Nvidia ION GPU. with 4GB of ram. So it's pretty much 2x the specs as yours with a better GPU.

It's also over 4 years old now. Wow...

Well, I never told you what my GPU was. :v:
(It is also an NVidia ION like yours).

I never thought about overclocking this thing; I figured it being such a small motherboard with the CPU built in that it wasn't even an option. I would have upgraded the RAM but XBMC reports ~50% RAM is free (but the CPU is under 99% load).

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

I never thought about overclocking this thing; I figured it being such a small motherboard with the CPU built in that it wasn't even an option. I would have upgraded the RAM but XBMC reports ~50% RAM is free (but the CPU is under 99% load).

Mod the case slightly, throw in a bigger fan, and overclock the hell out of it. Sounds like a perfect project for you.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

True, you didn't. I just figured that since you didn't list it and you were having problems that you were using the intel video.

G-Prime posted:

Mod the case slightly, throw in a bigger fan, and overclock the hell out of it. Sounds like a perfect project for you.

I am actually overclocking mine with the little stock CPU fan and heat sink that it came with but...

The little wooden case that I made for it out of a jewelry box has a larger 100mm fan blowing air through the case, so it gets pretty good air flow.

I will warn you before you try to overclock. My wife's PC is similar specced computer in a premade small form factor case. Her PC DOES NOT have a clear cmos jumper, pad, or other way to reset the BIOS settings. I overclocked hers from 1.6Ghz to 1.8 and the machine would not POST. I had no way to reset it so I spent the next two hours shorting pins on the CMOS while booting it trying to get it to come up with stock values. I finally got it.

In short, if you are going to try overclocking, make sure that you have a method to reset the BIOS before you try it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks guys. I will consider it if I have mysterious lock up or slowdown issues, but as it stands, simply switching to the amber theme has fixed everything!

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So I needed to manually update Openelec, which I did, but I had no space on my thumbdrive. The only thing I could find taking up space was all the art and thumbnails, so I deleted them and did the update, which went fine.

Trying to restore the thumbnails, however, has not worked out. Eventually, I just deleted and re-imported my Movies folder to see if that would do it. Here is where I ran into a different problem. First, when trying to import the files again, there was no option for (movies) as a scraper. I checked my add-ons and it said themoviedb scraper was disabled, and it would not let me re-enable it. I installed the universal movie scraper and then imported the movies with that (although I don't think it scraped for any art). However, now there is no "Movies" button at all on the menus. Just videos and TV. I don't see any way to enable it. The movies themselves play fine if I just browse for them through the videos directory.

The "hide movies button" option in settings is not checked, and is in fact completely greyed out as an option.

Ok nevermind. Turns out I just wasn't properly scraping the directory so it was assuming I didn't have any movies.

I was able to reimport everything, but now it only scraped artwork for half my shows. All the movie art is there.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 9, 2013

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Anyone have a nice little script that will update XBMC libraries that I can put as a part of the SABNZBD post processing? For a windows setup.

I saw some but they either seemed outdated or to be for linux.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gozinbulx posted:

Anyone have a nice little script that will update XBMC libraries that I can put as a part of the SABNZBD post processing? For a windows setup.

There is an addon in the XBMC repository that automatically updates on intervals. I have mine set for 6 hours but you can set it to shorter time periods and not have it update when a movie is playing. Couchpotato and Sickbeard both use Growl to send an update notification to XBMC but it was too unreliable for my tastes.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

I've had good luck with XBMC updates coming from Sickbeard. You can test it out pretty easily (sending a test notification from Sickbeard to XBMC). Plus there's also a setting that will update only the new file that Sickbeard added, instead of scanning the entire disk.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

YouTuber posted:

Couchpotato and Sickbeard both use Growl to send an update notification to XBMC but it was too unreliable for my tastes.

Both trigger db updates and send notifications with the functions built into XBMC's webserver. Shouldn't be any more unreliable than your XBMC install is.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I appreciate the responses, but I specifically don't want to use cp or sickbeard. I want it to be in the drop down list for sabnzbd post processing in the categories panel.

That said, I may use either the http command or cURL command and just write it into an ahk script.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

I appreciate the responses, but I specifically don't want to use cp or sickbeard. I want it to be in the drop down list for sabnzbd post processing in the categories panel.

That said, I may use either the http command or cURL command and just write it into an ahk script.

Then just use the add on updater addon

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
Anyone have any tips or seen a guide for migration from a Windows 7 based XBMC setup to a XBMCUbuntu one that preserves things like my settings for SABNZBD and Sickbeard? Lots of weird stability issues crop up from leaving it on for too long or resuming from sleep (aspect ratios get messed up, sound stops working, etc) that I'd like to leave behind but really don't want to have to go through the hassle of starting from scratch on the automated stuff.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

bam thwok posted:

Anyone have any tips or seen a guide for migration from a Windows 7 based XBMC setup to a XBMCUbuntu one that preserves things like my settings for SABNZBD and Sickbeard? Lots of weird stability issues crop up from leaving it on for too long or resuming from sleep (aspect ratios get messed up, sound stops working, etc) that I'd like to leave behind but really don't want to have to go through the hassle of starting from scratch on the automated stuff.

Xbmc backup addon

Last 2 replies have been pretty low content but something pretty exciting I saw this weekend is mediabrowser3 relating to xbmc.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=173372

The link pretty much spells out what is going on but essentially this looks like it provides what plex does - centralized database and transcoding are the big ones. I have been trying it out, and it looks really fantastic, what plex should have been really. There looks to be a xbmc plugin based on plexbmc, and it looks like they are almost ready to release their client for windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw29LTGagDY

The best part is the project is open source. https://github.com/MediaBrowser

kri kri fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 11, 2013

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!

bam thwok posted:

Let me know if you find anything. I'm in the exact same boat; spent forever setting up automation in windows / now getting stability problems / need to move to linux.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
What's the best keyboard/remote solution at this point?

I got a mini bluetooth kb, but it would randomly start bugging out like a key was being held down, so I went back to a regular keyboard/mouse. I was looking at remotes, but I'd like something a lot simpler (at least for the moment) then the logitech harmonies.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Finagle posted:

I got a mini bluetooth kb, but it would randomly start bugging out like a key was being held down, so I went back to a regular keyboard/mouse. I was looking at remotes, but I'd like something a lot simpler (at least for the moment) then the logitech harmonies.

The HTPC thread recommended the Logitech K400 to me when I asked, and it's been great. It feels a bit light, but the range seems to be fine and it installed with no trouble. I don't use it much, but it's nice when we get a bit tipsy and the wife wants to watch a bunch of YT videos. XBMC would always freeze after using Airplay three or four times, so now I just boot up Chrome and hand her the keyboard.

Edit: also, Harmonies (and other activity based remotes) are a loving godsend if you have multiple components and a HTPC. Using something like EventGhost on Windows gives you a lot of flexibility in what you can do. I had different profiles setup for different emulators at one point, so I could take screenshots, quit the emulator, save/load state, all that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Finagle posted:

The Mele F10 is the best remote I've ever had.
http://dx.com/p/mele-new-f10-2-4ghz-mini-air-mouse-68-key-wireless-keyboard-remote-control-for-pc-tv-black-173302