Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Maple Leaf posted:

Canadians:

Trade in any used Xbox 360, PS3, or Wii U game, and get your choice of Call of Duty: Ghosts, Assassin's Creed 4, or Battlefield 4 for any current-gen system.

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

I had no intention of buying AC or CoD on the Wii U, but if they'll take my perfect dark zero or viva pinata for them I'm all over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Chance posted:

I had no intention of buying AC or CoD on the Wii U, but if they'll take my perfect dark zero or viva pinata for them I'm all over that.

By the way, this also includes Best Buy for those curious. Here in Windsor, Future Shop and Best Buy are on the same drat street.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

By the way, this also includes Best Buy for those curious. Here in Windsor, Future Shop and Best Buy are on the same drat street.

Do you have a link to Best Buy confirming they're doing the deal too? I found FS confirming it on their own community page but I can't immediately find anything on BB's side. Like you I've got both stores on the same street so I figured it'd save some time and awkwardness to visit both rather than leaving and re-entering the store.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I'm the newest Wii Fit U gym member. I think I show up as Codone.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Policenaut posted:

Do you have a link to Best Buy confirming they're doing the deal too? I found FS confirming it on their own community page but I can't immediately find anything on BB's side. Like you I've got both stores on the same street so I figured it'd save some time and awkwardness to visit both rather than leaving and re-entering the store.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/11/08/craziest-trade-in-deal-ever-happening-this-weekend-at-future-shop-best-buy-canada/

Be sure to give the store a call. They should be informed. There are a few stores not taking part in the promotion on the Future Shop side so yeah call.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Hydrocodone posted:

I'm the newest Wii Fit U gym member. I think I show up as Codone.

I forgot white gamepads existed.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nintendo treats them as kind of the default, even though almost nobody owns one.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Supercar Gautier posted:

Nintendo treats them as kind of the default, even though almost nobody owns one.

Going by the OP the US price difference is gently caress all so there isn't much reason not to just to put down the extra bit and get the deluxe. When I grabbed the basic set on sale there was a $400 NZD difference between the two so pretty much "gently caress that".

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Not a shock that the dipshit that's so Nintendo loyal even I roll my eyes at him (Josh once did a big video defending region locking) breaks an NDA to show off a Mario level.

I don't know why he's still on the "Early access for review copies" list if he's going to do poo poo like this with his tweets knowing he can't say anything else because that would break an embargo.

Still it's Josh we're talking about. He usually rushes and finishes quickly, especially when it's something involving mushroom heads.

Did you get it?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Maple Leaf posted:

Canadians:

Trade in any used Xbox 360, PS3, or Wii U game, and get your choice of Call of Duty: Ghosts, Assassin's Creed 4, or Battlefield 4 for any current-gen system.

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

Checked with my store, they're accepting one trade-in per game, which means you can bring in three old games and get three new games. :mario:

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=
Just a heads up, Amazon has the Wii U pedometer thingys for $20. They're currently out of stock with Amazon, but they'll let you go ahead and order it. The option shows up on the side bar, in case anyone's confused why the only one on there is still $30 or whatever.

I went ahead and ordered, since Amazon seems like my best bet for this mythical accessory. Here's hoping they're quick about getting more.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Been having lots of fun with Wii Sports Club so far.

In light of not being able to make custom clubs (Yet, Hopefully) I am going to declare that Nicaragua Club be the current SA club.

As of right now I am the only member so it's more of filling in an empty space than taking over a club people are using.

So come join SA club Nicaragua and make some central American country proud of something they had nothing to do with. :regd10:

Celes
Feb 23, 2008

None have ever truly known the woman beneath the general's guise...

Nilryna posted:

Just a heads up, Amazon has the Wii U pedometer thingys for $20. They're currently out of stock with Amazon, but they'll let you go ahead and order it. The option shows up on the side bar, in case anyone's confused why the only one on there is still $30 or whatever.

I went ahead and ordered, since Amazon seems like my best bet for this mythical accessory. Here's hoping they're quick about getting more.

If you don't mind the $5 shipping, the Nintendo store online has them in stock. I'm impatient and I didn't feel like waiting for Amazon to get them back in stock so I ordered from Nintendo.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is Nintendo's online stuff down at the moment? I can't seem to shop in the store and my Wara Wara plaza has all the default Nintendo icons. Wanted to check if this was a widespread thing before I start messing with my settings.

EDIT: to elaborate more, the system claims that I'm online in all the usual places, and my friends list appears to be working. I can get to the main page of the eShop, but once I try to download, say the Wii U Sports Club, the system hangs. And again, the Wara plaza acts as if it is offline the whole time. I also get a notification that a download has finished installing EVERY time I go to the home menu. It's weird.

EDIT 2: playing a game with Miiverse Posting seemed to fix the plaza. I still can't shope in the eShop though.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 9, 2013

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

Celes posted:

If you don't mind the $5 shipping, the Nintendo store online has them in stock. I'm impatient and I didn't feel like waiting for Amazon to get them back in stock so I ordered from Nintendo.

That's not a bad idea, but I prefer Amazon just because I already pay them for a prime membership. Hell, I use it for simple household things just because I can. Needless to say, I've gotten patient, having to wait 2 days to get most things. I have faith Amazon will pull through with a timely delivery.

Besides, I have until... January-ish to get the Wii U Fit game for free, right?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Checked with my store, they're accepting one trade-in per game, which means you can bring in three old games and get three new games. :mario:

Mine is doing the same, and they're not likely to run out of Wii U games. They ran out of Assassin's Creed 4 for ps3 just as I got to the till, so I guess I'll be playing the Wii U version.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So the Wii Fit Meter is out, but why is it impossible to find? I've checked most stores online and off, and I've got nothing. I suppose I need to wait until the actual physical release date?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Can I set the Wii U to power off automatically once an eShop download is finished? How do I do it, if so?

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Can I set the Wii U to power off automatically once an eShop download is finished? How do I do it, if so?

By default, it will power off an hour after a download. Do you need it to turn off sooner than that?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

No, but you can turn off the Wii U and the system will download in standby mode. The power light turns orange when it's in standby.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Fancy Hat! posted:

So the Wii Fit Meter is out, but why is it impossible to find? I've checked most stores online and off, and I've got nothing. I suppose I need to wait until the actual physical release date?

Toys r Us still has them in stock online and in some stores.

Other than that I have no idea where they can be found in stock.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

SeANMcBAY posted:

No, but you can turn off the Wii U and the system will download in standby mode. The power light turns orange when it's in standby.

That's great. I started a download and was getting ready to leave the house, so I didn't want it to stay on and draw power doing nothing. Leaving it in standby mode is fine, though. Thanks for the quick response.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Up in Canada I just grabbed them at Best Buy, and I think Future Shop had them too.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why does my Wii U suddenly go into and back out of standby mode at 6 in the morning. Is it checking for software updates or something?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Davinci posted:

Why does my Wii U suddenly go into and back out of standby mode at 6 in the morning. Is it checking for software updates or something?

Yeah, one of the last updates made it so it downloads updates and free trials while in standby.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Probably. It's doused to automatically download updates and even demos sometimes. I guess having it boot into standby is easier than pushing.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
For the record, you can disable this behaviour if you prefer. There are two settings:

System Settings -> Internet -> Automatic Software Downloads -> Don't Receive

and

System Settings -> Power Settings -> Standby Functions -> Disabled

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Konjuro posted:

Mine is doing the same, and they're not likely to run out of Wii U games. They ran out of Assassin's Creed 4 for ps3 just as I got to the till, so I guess I'll be playing the Wii U version.

Lucky bastard. My store was sold out of AssCreed IV on U before I'd even lined up, and I think I grabbed the last copy, period, for PS3.

They still have copies of CoD Ghosts for all systems, though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Shibawanko posted:

I really wish they'd revive SMB2 and its gameplay and cool enemies. Enough with the SMB3 rehashes already.

It's actually pretty funny how much of SMB2 has influenced modern Mario games considering it play so differently and is kind of the odd man out.

Like for instance Birdo, Bob-ombs, Shyguys, Snifits, Ninjis and Pokeys all originated from SMB2 and they're some of the most iconic Mario characters/enemies in the games (especially Bob-ombs). Peach's hover move, and Luigi's higher flutter jumping both originate from SMB2 too

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Thanks to this thread, managed to walk away with copy of Call of Duty: Ghosts for Wii U, and then sold Assassin's Creed IV to get Dues Ex for Wii U for pretty cheap. Haven't played Call of Duty since Modern Warfare 2, but hey, can't argue with free.

I don't know how they managed to do a promo like this, but I'm not complaining. (My local Best Buy only had 2 copies of CoD for Wii U the entire day. I got there at 3:30, left at 4:15. Their first Wii U copy was sold to me)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Luigi's high flutter jump actually first appeared in Super Mario Bros 2 in Japan, what we call the lost levels. Just lucky enough that matched up with his character's power in the Doki Doki port.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Macaluso posted:

It's actually pretty funny how much of SMB2 has influenced modern Mario games considering it play so differently and is kind of the odd man out.

Like for instance Birdo, Bob-ombs, Shyguys, Snifits, Ninjis and Pokeys all originated from SMB2 and they're some of the most iconic Mario characters/enemies in the games (especially Bob-ombs). Peach's hover move, and Luigi's higher flutter jumping both originate from SMB2 too

If all the info out there on the whole SMB2/Doki Doki Panic stuff is true, the game was originally pitched as a Mario title, before they scrapped it. Then they picked it up later as a licensed title for Fuji TV. Then re-appropriated it as a Mario title later anyway. I mean, the US SMB2 was released in Japan later in the Famicom's life as Super Mario USA, since they were re-releasing Famicom Disk System games like Zelda 1 on cartridge format over there, and the license for that Fuji TV show lapsed by that point.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 10, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
drat, I really wanna play bowling but the eShop is completely refusing to load. :( Should I bother troubleshooting or are the servers just hammered? I've bought a decent amount of eShop stuff in the past and this is the first time I've had any trouble with it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

Luigi's high flutter jump actually first appeared in Super Mario Bros 2 in Japan, what we call the lost levels. Just lucky enough that matched up with his character's power in the Doki Doki port.

Nope. He jumps higher and has less traction but he can't flutter-jump.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 10, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

greatn posted:

Did You Know Gaming says that DDP was itself a scrapped Super Mario Bros. 2. Stuff like POW block wasn't even removed.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Xik posted:

For the record, you can disable this behaviour if you prefer. There are two settings:

System Settings -> Internet -> Automatic Software Downloads -> Don't Receive

and

System Settings -> Power Settings -> Standby Functions -> Disabled
And for the latter one if you enable it you can set the time interval, anywhere from 1 to 24 hours iirc.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
There's no dedicated Wii thread so I might as well ask here - does anyone know of any decent golf games for the Wii? My dad's on disability leave for the next few months and goes stir-crazy without something to do, but lately he's gotten addicted to the golfing in Wii Sports and a more robust version might be a nice Christmas present.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Oxxidation posted:

There's no dedicated Wii thread so I might as well ask here - does anyone know of any decent golf games for the Wii? My dad's on disability leave for the next few months and goes stir-crazy without something to do, but lately he's gotten addicted to the golfing in Wii Sports and a more robust version might be a nice Christmas present.

One or two of the Tiger Woods games were supposedly pretty amazing, either 2010 or 2011 I think. It also includes Frisbee Golf.

Theres Also Super Swing Golf Season 2 for wacky anime superpowers golf.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Theres Also Super Swing Golf Season 2 for wacky anime superpowers golf.

That's kind of underselling it from what I remember of Albatross18. It was pretty fun and had RPG elements as I recall!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Supercar Gautier posted:

Well at least my gamepad doesn't look like a greasy, smudgy mess after 10 minutes of playing <:mad:>

Been playing AC4. It's pretty good so far, and I'm guessing there's not much of a difference between current-gen versions. I do enjoy how the gamepad's a huge map. It definitely aids you in orienting yourself while at sea.

• Locked thread