Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

EngineerJoe posted:

Do you know what Rogers customers are getting in the same area?

It's a Cogeco area. And no, not sure what they're getting. It's definitely congestion though, I just had him run another speed test and he's back to 10ish down.

We tried all kinds of poo poo too, modem directly to the line that comes in the house skipping all other lines and splitters. Speed tests are terrible on our phones, laptops and desktops, wired, wireless and no router at all. I had this issue a couple months back and it took two months to fix. I sure hope he's not left with this awful service for another 2 months making it 4 since he ordered it.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Well, whether through incompetence or malice Shaw sent a technician to disconnect my cable at the termination box last Friday and they claim they will get around to fixing it on Wednesday. I guess this means I need to swallow my bile and start recommending Telus over Shaw because this poo poo is downright unacceptable.

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....
Not sure if people have seen this yet but http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/6977/125/

Basically, Bell wants to sell your information to marketers! You know those things you searched for? You know, those things. Well, come mid-November Bell is going to know too! And so are marketers willing to pay the price.

Of course, since it's only a change to their privacy policy, you are automatically Opted In to it and you need to Opt Out.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Saw it on the Globe. Because our ISPs aren't cartoonishly villainous enough.

And I bet Rogers will watch for any fallout, and then implement the exact same measures in a few months.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Just a PSA about that story:

Bell: http://support.bell.ca/billing-and-accounts/security_and_privacy/how_does_bell_respect_my_privacy?step=4

Virgin: http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/relevant-ads.html

And opt-out links:

Bell: http://mobilebrowser.bwanet.ca/optout/v2/bell-en.jsp

Virgin: http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/preferences/relevantAds.html

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

teethgrinder posted:

Saw it on the Globe. Because our ISPs aren't cartoonishly villainous enough.

And I bet Rogers will watch for any fallout, and then implement the exact same measures in a few months.

Its almost as if this has happened before.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Opting out doesn't actually stop them from collecting everything, it just stops them from using that data to give you personalized advertisement...

If all of the big three decide to do this the only way to "opt out" is to give up internet, TV, and phone service. That's pretty ridiculous :smith:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

oops, wrong thread.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Tagra posted:

Opting out doesn't actually stop them from collecting everything, it just stops them from using that data to give you personalized advertisement...

If all of the big three decide to do this the only way to "opt out" is to give up internet, TV, and phone service. That's pretty ridiculous :smith:

Can/do they do this through their resellers too?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Weren't they already collecting this data to provide service? The only change in the privacy policy is that they now intend on using the data for purposes other than providing service. The opt-out is just worded in the most confusing way possible.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I am getting the 50Mbps upgrade on my Telus, and they need to send out a tech. Any idea what they do? They already replaced the phone line from the pole to the house with cat5. Is it to upgrade the wiring inside?

Right now it is just a regular phone line from the jack to the modem.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

priznat posted:

I am getting the 50Mbps upgrade on my Telus, and they need to send out a tech. Any idea what they do? They already replaced the phone line from the pole to the house with cat5. Is it to upgrade the wiring inside?

Probably run a second line for pair bonding? Maybe they need to upgrade the modem as well. I've only worked with cable though so I could be wrong.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Probably run a second line for pair bonding? Maybe they need to upgrade the modem as well. I've only worked with cable though so I could be wrong.

Cool, I will find out tomorrow at least! Picked the right time for my vacation..

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I was able to get Telus 50 without a visit. Do you have the newest Actiontec modem?

Binton
Jun 23, 2004
I am here, eating pie, with a fork.

priznat posted:

I just got it installed as well. They give you a new modem, which was kind of annoying since I had to retool all my settings. In addition they had to fiddle around with the jack and add another line so they could pair bond the 2. The rest was done outside.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have the Actiontech V1000H, is that the newest?

Also hoping I can get a new remote for my Optik TV box, my current one seems to be flaking out a lot. Crappy remote.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

I have the Actiontech V1000H, is that the newest?

Also hoping I can get a new remote for my Optik TV box, my current one seems to be flaking out a lot. Crappy remote.

Yeah, that's the newest. My place didn't require a pair bond so I guess that's why I didn't need a tech.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sweet, upgrade done.

Just had to remove a splitter and replaced the flat phone line with cat5. Apparently the phone line would have been ok but just replaced it anyway.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

I don't know why this started happening out of the blue after months of 1Mbps speeds, but now I'm getting what I pay for so I can't compl-- *looks at above post* -- oh.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ordered Telus 50 for when I get to Calgary.

Goodbye 7mbps. :getin:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Is everybody in the middle of downtown or something? Telus 50 seems to be available in a tiny pocket of 30 or so buildings in Vancouver because I've never, ever put in an address, even one I don't live at, that was able to get it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Verviticus posted:

Is everybody in the middle of downtown or something? Telus 50 seems to be available in a tiny pocket of 30 or so buildings in Vancouver because I've never, ever put in an address, even one I don't live at, that was able to get it.

I'm out in (west) Coquitlam, they just ran some super duper lines out here I guess.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

priznat posted:

I'm out in (west) Coquitlam, they just ran some super duper lines out here I guess.

Coquitlam also has their municipal thing where they own all the lines in the ground or something.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Finally cut the chain binding me to those criminal fucks at Rogers.
Come December 9th, TekSavvy here I come!

Rogers delenda est.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I'm on Bell at my new condo with an actual FTTH termination in my closet. I wasn't expecting that!
I have to say, I'm impressed. I just hope the unlimited add-on is held up later.

Here's some dick-waving:

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Kachunkachunk posted:

I'm on Bell at my new condo with an actual FTTH termination in my closet. I wasn't expecting that!
I have to say, I'm impressed. I just hope the unlimited add-on is held up later.

Here's some dick-waving:

Man I'm jealous of that upload speed, but I can't complain too much, especially after seeing some of the connection speeds posted in this thread (not to mention high packet loss issues for some). Plus, sharing a 5mbps3mbps connection at work with 20 other users :suicide: has shown me how lucky I am.

I'm also very glad I have unlimited bandwidth. Not my record but I pay for unlimited so I better drat well use more than 300GB/m.
code:
Last 30 Days (2013-10-15 ~ 2013-11-13)
Reception	371.22 GB
Transmission	47.65 GB
Total	418.86 GB

Mister Macys posted:

Finally cut the chain binding me to those criminal fucks at Rogers.
Come December 9th, TekSavvy here I come!

Rogers delenda est.

Hopefully you have a backup plan for internet for the first week because Rogers will make sure the switch is botched and you will have downtime. They do this anytime I've made any changes to my service, between cutting lines or kicking my modem off the DCHP server. This is assuming you are going from Rogers Cable to TekSavvy Cable

Edit: VVVVVV Glad to hear it. I played Don't Starve during the 3 days I went down back in September.

A c E fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 14, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

A c E posted:

Hopefully you have a backup plan for internet for the first week because Rogers will make sure the switch is botched and you will have downtime. They do this anytime I've made any changes to my service, between cutting lines or kicking my modem off the DCHP server. This is assuming you are going from Rogers Cable to TekSavvy Cable

I have a Kindle and I haven't played the single player on any CoD game since MW2.

I'll be able to occupy my time. :)

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....
Well, TekSavvy announced a price increase on their plans. $2 or $3 depending on who your vendor is. So, the 25/2 (300gb) plan in the GTA is going to $42/mo. The hilarious part is that they warned that there might be further price increases coming! Interestingly enough, Rogers sent our a direct mail offering 30/3 (300gb) for $45/mo with a price-lock for 3 years.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I read through that entire thread. I haven't been more depressed in like 6 weeks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

slush posted:

Rogers sent our a direct mail offering 30/3 (300gb) for $45/mo with a price-lock for 3 years.

I paid double that for two years (and only 120gb) so gently caress them dead with a machete! :argh:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 18, 2013

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Ugh. Good thing I keep putting off changing my old Extreme plan out for something else. :(

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

slush posted:

Well, TekSavvy announced a price increase on their plans. $2 or $3 depending on who your vendor is. So, the 25/2 (300gb) plan in the GTA is going to $42/mo. The hilarious part is that they warned that there might be further price increases coming! Interestingly enough, Rogers sent our a direct mail offering 30/3 (300gb) for $45/mo with a price-lock for 3 years.

I was wondering what speed that offer was. I hate getting their direct ads to begin with but I couldn't believe they sent one out claiming they were the fastest ISP in Ontario or Canada or something and then they didn't include the speed of the package offered in the ad, just the bandwidth.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Despite that, I think Teksavvy is still pretty worth it.
I'm on this nice promo for Bell 50/50 (free install, free for six months, no contract), but ultimately I just don't know what I'll do with this much upstream. I could just as happily be on Teksavvy's 50/10 option for less money each month, I think.

I felt pretty terribad cancelling service with Teksavvy, but it just didn't make sense having two connections again. They were quite honest and definitely had customer's best interests in mind, so kudos to them.

At my previous place, my landlord had Cogeco ultimate 30 as the primary connection and I had Teksavvy dry-looped DSL at 15/1 as a secondary connection. I set up a pfSense VM/box and set up some routing rules so certain traffic went over certain connections. Worked nicely and we managed bandwidth/speed compromises quite intelligently. Having two fat pipes today? I guess I could do round-robin and load balancing, but dare I say it's finally overkill even with just one 50Mbit connection?

Also because I'm not packaged with Bell, it's $30 a month on top of normal fees for unlimited. I guess I'll look into online backups or something. I really don't know.

Edit: One thing I noticed: pings can climb if the downstream rate is pushed hard, but not upstream. This is a first for me! That said, I find pfSense QoS severely lacking, and long-ago go-to, a WRT54Gv3 with Tomato can only reach 25Mbit/s and no further (even with QoS and all other unnecessary functions disabled). Any recommendations for good QoS as an appliance/router-OS?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have been on Teksavvy 25/2 DSL unlimited in Alberta (Telus land) for going on a year now, ever since Telus made good about shrinking the caps.

Other than a couple of hiccups on install, I have been very satisfied with their service. Even if they were to give an increase out here, I'd happily pay it just for the sake of having unlimited. Pretty much everything on Netflix is now SuperHD and we watch a lot of it. That and with video games becoming truly monstrous both on PCs but now on consoles too (I've heard 41GB downloads on the PS4!), I'd always be wondering when Telus would try to gently caress me over if I had a cap, so I don't even worry about it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I've been nothing but happy with start.ca and their 45/5 cable plan. Its the kind of service that is so reliable and fast that you don't really think about it. It just internet that works great all the time.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

slush posted:

Man, remind me to never read DSL Reports, talk about a bunch of loving whiny babies.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Anyone in Winnipeg using Lightning 50 right now? My roommate works for MTS so I can get a discount, but I've never had an issue with my Shaw connection and not being able to get a standalone modem through MTS kind of sucks.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

And now I see how truly awful Canadian internet is. We have a site in Mississauga that needs a new ISP.

They currently have some wireless provider giving us 6/4 or something which is great except it comes with 3% packet loss which is a joke.

So I called them out on it and they are blaming our equipment because there's no issue between our 'modem' and their site. OK sure, so despite being wired directly into the first router behind their modem and our lines being dead outside of some light http traffic and still showing huge loss, it must be on our end.

So looking for a new ISP for a business in that location I have found that we can get anything more than 6/1. Even our downtown Toronto office is stuck on 6/1.

What's even more amazing to me is bell wants to charge us $25/month for a loving Static IP. Thank god for TekkSavy or Start with their prices being more reasonable. ($4/$10 for the curious)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Chris Knight posted:

Man, remind me to never read DSL Reports, talk about a bunch of loving whiny babies.

Yeah, a lot of the posters are complete tools but I'll give Teksavvy credit, they respond there and are pretty prompt and active on their forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

I really don't like the wording on the opt-out page. The options for opting out are "Relevant targeted ads" or "Unfiltered random ads".