Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think it's our responsibility as conservatives to build a system that rewards responsible people. If you want to get regular checkups and preventive care but you can't afford it yet, we should pick up the tab. Young citizens like that will be paying their fair share of taxes soon enough, we might as well give them some benefit for it.

Taxes are slavery, ergo there is no "fair share". GOTCHA!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Dirty Job posted:

I found myself worried that such women have no honour.

Well, you can't expect honor from a woman any more than you should expect it from a commoner. Only a knight can (and should) act according to the chivalric code. After all, knights are the only ones who can protect themselves, so it's only right that they should protect those who cannot. That this "gentleman" speaks so churlishly about ladies just shows that he doesn't know the first thing about honor.

MRAs: Less enlightened than 11th-century Europeans.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Maybe it's time for a conservative approach. Let's find something that we know works well, like Medicare. We spend a lot of money on some 65 year-olds because they've never had health insurance prior to getting Medicare. We can cut costs by lowering the eligibility age by 10 years. That'll be ten years where we can catch cancers before it's expensive. Remember the old Conservative maxim, a stitch in time saves nine.

To save even more money, we should make sure that every child in America is covered from conception till they're 18. Maybe longer if they're in college. This will ensure that no child has to take responsibility for their parents actions. Kids don't get to pick their parents, any true conservative would agree that every citizen deserves to start their life as a productive citizen with a fair start.

As a conservative, we need to get serious about the VA. It's expensive, but part of fiscal responsibility is paying your debts. We owe our veterans good healthcare, even after they get out of the military. If you managed to survive your enlistment, you shouldn't die from a preventable disease a few years later because you're having a hard time making it in the civilian world. Every conservative should support VA medical care for all veterans, regardless of disability status.

As a conservative, I don't believe in punishing our most responsible citizens. Let's picture a hard working 22 year old, he's been out of school for a few years and he's at the bottom of the ladder. He's learning the value of hard work. Maybe he's working two jobs at 20 hours apiece. This young man has two paths when it comes to medical care. He can be a mooch, if his appendix hurts he can wait until it bursts and get emergency care, shifting the cost onto the rest of us. OR he can be responsible and get regular checkups and preventive care, catching the problem when it's cheap to fix.

I think it's our responsibility as conservatives to build a system that rewards responsible people. If you want to get regular checkups and preventive care but you can't afford it yet, we should pick up the tab. Young citizens like that will be paying their fair share of taxes soon enough, we might as well give them some benefit for it.

Or we could get rid of emergency rooms and have people literally die on the streets. That way I don't have to worry about maybe having my taxes increased. Going to a doctor for a check-up is for pussies anyway and what if he puts a finger up my butt.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Going to a doctor for a check-up is for pussies anyway and what if he puts a finger up my butt.

It makes you a gay.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Taxes are slavery, ergo there is no "fair share". GOTCHA!!

Unlike real slavery which really wasn't slavery at all.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Sorry, Senator, but you just lost the primary. Also, you've been declared an enemy of Reagan because
...because good people tend to be enemies of Reagan and his lies and crimes.

(I know, I know.)

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
http://nationalreport.net/maryland-middle-school-requires-children-cross-dress-lgbtq-appreciation-day/

Maryland Middle School Requires Children To Cross Dress For “LGBTQ Appreciation Day”

Popping up on facebook over and over.

quote:

Parents in the town of St. Leonard, MD were aghast after learning what the staff at Heritage Middle School required children to do for a passing grade. The outrage stems from an event held this past Monday, a day which the school had dubbed “LGBTQ Appreciation Day” instructing children to experience the homosexual lifestyle for a single school day or receive a failing grade.

This is a satirical site, right? Like a version of the Onion specific to right wing crazy?

The school in question doesn't exist.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Deuce posted:

http://nationalreport.net/maryland-middle-school-requires-children-cross-dress-lgbtq-appreciation-day/

Maryland Middle School Requires Children To Cross Dress For “LGBTQ Appreciation Day”

This is a satirical site, right? Like a version of the Onion specific to right wing crazy?

Judging by the author's credentials, and the wikipedia article calling National Report satirical, yes. But that doesn't stop the comments on that article from being full of the best kind of rage.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

Deuce posted:

It most certainly is. I submitted the link to drudge tho, I hope he runs it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AShamefulDisplay posted:

In reference to single payer:

I am fairly happy with my response to this bullshit, but it takes too much time to type out.

Can anyone give me a fast pithy gently caress You to counter this bullshit?

If they didn't want healthcare.gov to take so responsibility for so many people, they should have taken their STATES' RIGHT to make their own website.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I can't think of another place to ask this, but is there a name for the line of reasoning like this:

"If I worked hard and got my way out of poverty, then anyone else should be able to do it."

It comes up a lot.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

bollig posted:

I can't think of another place to ask this, but is there a name for the line of reasoning like this:

"If I worked hard and got my way out of poverty, then anyone else should be able to do it."

It comes up a lot.

Narcissism?

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Bootstraps. Usually said by white people who have never had to experience any sort of institutionalized racism.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Maybe it's time for a conservative approach. Let's find something that we know works well, like Medicare.

Ummmmm... excuse me, but they had 47 years to get Medicare right, and it's broke!!!

quote:

Subject: Wal-Mart (NOT A JOKE)

Wal-Mart (NOT A JOKE)

This is spot-on. PLEASE, READ THIS TO THE END. IT IS VERY INTERESTING!!

1.. Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart every hour of every day.

2.. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3.. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17) than Target sells all year.

4.. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target +Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5.. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people, is the world's largest private employer, and most speak English.

6.. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the world.

7.. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger and Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

8.. During this same period, 31 big supermarket chains sought bankruptcy.

9.. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approximately 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had five years ago.

11. This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at Wal-Mart stores. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 Billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within fifteen miles of a Wal-Mart.

You may think that I am complaining, but I am really laying the ground work for suggesting that MAYBE we should hire the guys who run Wal-Mart to fix the economy.

This should be read and understood by all Americans… Democratsand Republicans. EVERYONE!!

To President Obama and all 535 voting members of the Legislature: It is now official that the majority of you are corrupt and ineffective. Please quit! Why??? Consider the following!!

a.. The U.S. Postal Service was established in 1775. You had 237 years to get it right and it is broke.

b.. Social Security was established in 1935. You had 77 years to get it right and it is broke.

c.. Fannie Mae was established in 1938. You had 74 years to get it right and it is broke.

d.. The War on Poverty started in 1964. You had 48 years to get it right; $1 trillion of our money is confiscated each year and transferred to "the poor" who only want more.

e.. Medicare and Medicaid were established in 1965. You had 47 years to get it right and they are broke.

f.. Freddie Mac was established in 1970. You had 42 years to get it right and it is broke.

g.. The Department of Energy was created in 1977 to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. It has ballooned to 16,000 employees with a budget of $24 billion a year and we import more oil than ever before. You had 35 years to get it right and it is an abysmal failure.

You have FAILED in every "government service" you have shoved down our throats while overspending our tax dollars. AND YOU WANT AMERICANS TO BELIEVE YOU CAN BE TRUSTED WITH A GOVERNMENT-RUN HEALTH CARE SYSTEM??

Folks, keep this circulating. It is very well stated. Maybe it will end up in the e-mail s of some of our "duly elected' (they never read anything) and their staff will clue them in on how Americans feel.

AND we have lost our minds to "political correctness"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're "broke" and can't help our own Seniors, Veterans, Orphans, Homeless etc.,???????????

In the last months we have provided aid to Haiti , Chile, Japan, Turkey and Pakistan...previous home of Bin Laden. Literally, BILLIONS of DOLLARS!!!

Our retired seniors, who are living on a “fixed income”, receive no extra aid nor do they get any special breaks…nothing beyond shopping discounts! AND Congress wants to freeze Social Security payments...

You do know that Congress voted themselves a pay raise for 2013??? Google it--it's true!!!

99% of people won't forward this. I'm one of the 1% who will as I just did!!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I absolutely love that apparently once you get something right, it stays right forever. Oh and also you have been working on the postal service for centuries now, and you still haven't gotten it right!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I have no words other than a series on unconnected expletives.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FuzzySkinner posted:

Isn't "Get everyone dependent on Government and then Bankrupt America" conflicting goals?

I'm just stunned that people still believe president's sneak their way into office with some Machiavellian motive to take down a country.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Dirty Job posted:

This fantastically misogynistic article just popped up on my Facebook today.

It includes wonderful quotes such as

quote:

For me as a man, I look at a woman’s body and her features to guage how healthy she is physically and if she would produce good children for me because frankly I’m shopping for a good mother for my children. Sure, once I’ve ascertained that the woman in question is healthy and well-formed, then I’ll worry about her IQ and maternal temperament, but I make no apologies for selecting out the biologically weak women because this is my children’s future and a good parent cares about the future they give their children.

He goes on to conflate "ugliness" with disease and down syndrome, and he ends the article with this absolute gem.

Nevermind that the lawsuit in question is probably false.

This is virtually an Onion article:

quote:

TERRE HAUTE, IN—Saying that the duplicitous local woman employs a variety of devious ruses to achieve a false impression of youth and fertility, sources confirmed today that Michelle Guerrero, 45, routinely changes her appearance to simulate a far higher and more robust egg count than her biological age implies. “I love how this powder foundation evens out my skin tone without being too heavy,” said the woman who blasphemes nature daily by underhandedly modifying the tone of her complexion and luster of her hair with an array of ointments, gels, and lotions shrewdly designed to impart an artificial bloom of youth to her aging, depleted body. “It looks natural and stays on all day, so I don’t have to worry about touching it up at work. And there’s a built-in SPF, so that’s another plus.” At press time, the crafty sorceress was applying a tinted chapstick to her lips in a bald, desperate attempt to simulate the flush of orgasm so as to attract a mate.

The authors over at the Onion have to be increasingly frustrated by how routinely reality trumps their parodies at the point. :psyboom:

BonoMan posted:

Isn't "Get everyone dependent on Government and then Bankrupt America" conflicting goals?

I'm just stunned that people still believe president's sneak their way into office with some Machiavellian motive to take down a country.

I'm more interested to learn step 3. Alien invasion? Communist takeover? Resurrection of Hitler? The second coming of Christ? Masses beaten to death with Korans?

Step 1: Make everyone dependent on government.
Step 2: Bankrupt America.
Step 3: ???

What is your real goal Obama?! :argh:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 9, 2013

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Not sure how welfare and food stamps, two programs which, according to conservatives, reward people for doing no work, are at all similar to slavery, where people do work for no reward. Seem like exact opposites to me.

But then I've probably put more thought into it than the person who made that image.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

emptyspace posted:

Not sure how welfare and food stamps, two programs which, according to conservatives, reward people for doing no work, are at all similar to slavery, where people do work for no reward. Seem like exact opposites to me.

But then I've probably put more thought into it than the person who made that image.

I think you'll find that the belief on this is that slaves were rewarded for their work by their master putting them up in (crappy) housing and giving them (some) food to eat and caring for their health and welfare (by not whipping them so hard that they'd die or be unsellable)

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
The slavery that image is referring to is taxes.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

emptyspace posted:

Not sure how welfare and food stamps, two programs which, according to conservatives, reward people for doing no work, are at all similar to slavery, where people do work for no reward.

By their logic, the taxpayers are the slaves. Their rhetoric suggests that the populace will just stop working in increasing numbers, up to the point where anyone who actually does work will be income-taxed at 100% and then have wealth-taxes extracted from those with savings and assets. Like we're going to max out all welfare benefits and drive this country into the ground. These people are usually uninformed about the actual numbers involved, and don't know stingy EBT can be or how big a difference removing the social security contribution ceiling would make.

The other angle I've heard welfare attacked from is dependency as a moral failure. It feels good now but it's bad for you in the long run. Sex traffickers can keep victims complicit by encouraging drug dependency, hmm isn't Obama like a pimp? It's a combo of contempt for the poor + viewing addiction as selfishness rather than sickness. People using this line of attack typically don't care how sustainable the system is, they just want it gone like Norquist. Private charity is OK because freedom; would you like to learn about positive and negative rights?

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
They would feel humiliated/emasculated to live on a dole, and think that feeling is so profound that they want to use a emotionally powerful word to refer to it. They hate people who are on welfare because they would hate themselves if they were on welfare.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
The thing is they have a completely distorted vision of what the social safety net is like. They actually bought into Reagan's "welfare queen" bullshit, when in real life living on public money gives you a pretty meager existence no matter what, and is only a long-term thing if a disability or some such totally wrecks your life. The average welfare recipient is white and is trying to get back to work. If I actually believed that people on public assistance were getting tons of money for doing nothing instead of temporarily getting a few hundred a month I might feel differently from how I do, but I've actually known people who wound up needing welfare to get by in real life.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Anyone who said they're getting more and more unhinged, was right. New week at Liberal Logic 101

LIBRULS!

Redskins

Hitler

Obamacare

Essay about gun control.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 10, 2013

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012

This just showed up in my feed. I'm not supposed to get these kinds of images. We don't even have states...:negative:

On the plus side, just add a border and another layer of text on top of the already-existing text, and you've got some great new content for LiberalLogic101 (yes, they really are that stupid!!).

Striking Yak fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 10, 2013

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

"Cowboy" is a racial slur now?

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013
Not that it matters either way, but that's a creepy evangelical anti-choice doll supposedly illustrating what a 12 week fetus looks like, not an actual fetus.

http://www.onetinylife.org/menu.htm

Here's a photo of an actual 12 week fetus.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

Essay about gun control.

This is so wrong it's farcical. For the US to be 3rd in the world in murder rates it'd need to have 57 murders per 100,000 population, or 180,710 murders a year.

For the US minus Chicago, Detroit, DC and NO to be 4th from bottom in the world in murder rates it'd need 0.3 murders per 100,000 population, or 889 murders a year.

So in those 4 metros you're looking at 179,821 murders a year, out of a population of 20,624,787. That's 0.9% of the population murdered each year, at a rate of one every 3 minutes.

e: numbers taken from here

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Fulchrum posted:

Anyone who said they're getting more and more unhinged, was right. New week at Liberal Logic 101

Redskins

Kansas City Chiefs
Atlanta Braves
Cleveland Indians
Edmonton Eskimos
Chicago Blackhawks

And a slew of others that have the names but no native/indian imagery or not big, major league teams. Perhaps there's something wrong with the Redskins specifically hmmmm....

That's basically he worst argument I've ever heard for keeping the name, usually they go with "it's not racist anymore get over it".

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

LIBRULS!

Top image: black, white, Asian, male, female

Bottom image: white, women

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Derek Agony posted:

This is so wrong it's farcical. For the US to be 3rd in the world in murder rates it'd need to have 57 murders per 100,000 population, or 180,710 murders a year.

For the US minus Chicago, Detroit, DC and NO to be 4th from bottom in the world in murder rates it'd need 0.3 murders per 100,000 population, or 889 murders a year.

So in those 4 metros you're looking at 179,821 murders a year, out of a population of 20,624,787. That's 0.9% of the population murdered each year, at a rate of one every 3 minutes.

e: numbers taken from here

I'm sure they were working too hard not to write feral urban youth instead of democrats that they couldn't get facts right.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Je suis fatigue posted:

Kansas City Chiefs
Atlanta Braves
Cleveland Indians
Edmonton Eskimos
Chicago Blackhawks

And a slew of others that have the names but no native/indian imagery or not big, major league teams. Perhaps there's something wrong with the Redskins specifically hmmmm....

That's basically he worst argument I've ever heard for keeping the name, usually they go with "it's not racist anymore get over it".

Indians logo is racist as hell though. I've also seen anger about the Fighting Irish because it's not a flattering stereotype.

Edit: And a big part of the difference between something like The Braves or The Vikings is that it's about the warriors of a society. Not a racial slur about them.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 11, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I don't agree with but can understand naming your team the Shawnee or somethng. Those are real tribes.

Redskins is not.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Like, FSU got permission from the Seminole Tribe of Florida to use their name and tries to be careful about their language and iconography (for example Osceola and Renegade are not mascots but symbols; they use a separate horse as a mascot). And even then it's still controversial and tied up in tribe politics. Racial slurs should be out in loving 2013.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Yeah, just look at this minority hating leftist liberal:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't agree with but can understand naming your team the Shawnee or somethng. Those are real tribes.

Redskins is not.

Central Michigan University has the Chippewas as their mascot, but (apparently) works quite closely with the tribe over anything that has to do with their name, so it can definitely be done in a respectful manner. Obviously Redskins is not a respectful name though!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah the Logo Itself for The Fighting Irish is unflattering but its got partial origins in Catholics As A Minority pride. I mean it was officially adopted within the same decade where Notre Dame students had to literally fight off the KKK.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

LIBRULS!

completeoppositeofreality.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
"This Week in LL101" is one of my favorite things in this thread. Healthcare reform is a slippery slope to the US invading Poland. :allears: