Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I don't know if the Slackr is necessarily burlier. It's one of Kuhl's lighter pants. It may have heavier stitching.

Standing with it & the Zion in front of me, I have to recommend the Prana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

That sounds like unanimous consent on the Pranas so I'll skip the Slackrs then.

Thanks hiking goons!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Eddie Bauer has their guide paint which is super nice and I love them. Great fit and appropriately stretchy without looking baggy. You can usually get a coupon for them too. Not super rugged but definitely comfortable. Their guide shorts are some of my favorite as well.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok, so I'm looking at the eTrex 20 or 30 (not sure if the 30 is worth the compass and altimeter for $100 more). Do they not come with any maps? If so, what maps should I get for it. They have some regions of the US which are $130 each. That's more than I thought. Are the birdseye maps worth the $30?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Get the 20 and spend the extra $100 on maps. The 20 has GPS based altimeter to give you an idea of your alt which is all most people want without being hyper scientific accurate down to the foot but its generally pretty close. You can find maps all over the internet or learn to make your own which can be confusing.

Spending $100 on the maps will relieve you of some headaches if you dont feel like making your own.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Eddie Bauer is for dads who have the matching SUV.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

What's the deal with GPS popularity? I get some people will do off-trail hiking, but it honestly seems like most people are just dorks for having the data. I guess I get that, but I wish I could blow $300 on being a dork.

mystes
May 31, 2006

disheveled posted:

What's the deal with GPS popularity? I get some people will do off-trail hiking, but it honestly seems like most people are just dorks for having the data. I guess I get that, but I wish I could blow $300 on being a dork.
Do you mean GPS in general or standalone GPS devices specifically? Because having GPS on my phone has been really helpful for example when hiking in the winter when a trail I was trying to turn on to was totally invisible because of snow.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm a dork that likes data and have $200 to blow on a piece of gear. Plus, I almost got lost on a clearly marked trail with no snow on the ground on Wednesday. I walked about 0.5 miles into an area set to be burned before I realized that I wasn't on a trail. :downs: It should come in handy in the snow. That or I need a handler.

GPS on phones drains the poo poo out of the battery. I also have a GPS watch with HR monitor for running (when I do). I like stuff.

I also found that gpsfiledepot and they have some interesting stuff for free. I might check out something for the Wisconsin region and see what I can find.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
I have the Prana Zions, and they're awesome pants for climbing but really warm for hiking, and they tend to sag a little at the waist over time, as the hipbelt from my pack forces it down. I prefer just standard generic running pants without mesh liners for backpacking--great combination of weight, breathability, weather resistance, and they don't much water at all so they dry quickly.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm old enough to be a dad and am thinking about purchasing an SUV so we'll call it old man accessorizing!

Discomancer posted:

I have the Prana Zions, and they're awesome pants for climbing but really warm for hiking, and they tend to sag a little at the waist over time, as the hipbelt from my pack forces it down. I prefer just standard generic running pants without mesh liners for backpacking--great combination of weight, breathability, weather resistance, and they don't much water at all so they dry quickly.

Are you talking about track pants, like so?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Do the cargo pants from 5.11 work well for hiking? Specifically, these? All I know about 5.11 is its the apparel of choice of mall ninjas throughout America.

Also, how is a dedicated GPS unit superior to using my iPhone?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Those pants look like they'd be okay for hiking. They are 35% cotton though, and cotton kind of sucks when you start sweating. Do you really need pants, though? I do most of my hiking in shorts or a skirt. If it gets cold I put on thermal leggings. I only wear pants if I'll actually be trudging through snow and encountering cold winds and such.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

BeefofAges posted:

Those pants look like they'd be okay for hiking. They are 35% cotton though, and cotton kind of sucks when you start sweating. Do you really need pants, though? I do most of my hiking in shorts or a skirt. If it gets cold I put on thermal leggings. I only wear pants if I'll actually be trudging through snow and encountering cold winds and such.

Shorts are the best, I agree. But sometimes, especially during damp spring when I'm kinda standing around, pants are nice to have. :)

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I'm old enough to be a dad and am thinking about purchasing an SUV so we'll call it old man accessorizing!

Are you talking about track pants, like so?
Hard to say without seeing them but that looks like it, however some "track pants" are very sweatpantish. The ones that are shiny, thin, cheap, polyester is what I'd look for.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

BeefofAges posted:

I'm like the opposite. A nice pair of nylon pants all day.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I started the AT with a pair of pants, and ended up like this:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I just finished up my 10 day NOLS Wilderness First Responder class today. Such an awesome experience, so not looking forward to going back to the office tomorrow.

Highly recommend for any outdoorsy individuals, tons of wisdom packed into a short period of time and a great opportunity to meet some great like-minded individuals.

If anyone has questions about the WFR course I'm happy to answer.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Their First Ascent line is quality stuff and worth a look, SUV or no. Big sale right now, too.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Business of Ferrets posted:

Their First Ascent line is quality stuff and worth a look, SUV or no. Big sale right now, too.

I thought the First Accent stuff was mostly for mountaineers. Its that not the case?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

disheveled posted:

If I hadn't lived there for a while I'd get lost in my apartment, let alone the wilderness.

Oxford Comma posted:

Also, how is a dedicated GPS unit superior to using my iPhone?
Much better data quality, autonomy isn't even a contest, worse interface, specific maps (think topo and trails).

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 8, 2013

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

BeefofAges posted:

I started the AT with a pair of pants, and ended up like this:

Seems like a lot of people end up freeballing with a kilt on the AT...

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I thought the First Accent stuff was mostly for mountaineers. Its that not the case?

Sure, technical, lightweight. . . what's not to love? Maybe the price.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Levitate posted:

Seems like a lot of people end up freeballing with a kilt on the AT...

It's hot and humid out there.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

MMD3 posted:

I just finished up my 10 day NOLS Wilderness First Responder class today. Such an awesome experience, so not looking forward to going back to the office tomorrow.

Highly recommend for any outdoorsy individuals, tons of wisdom packed into a short period of time and a great opportunity to meet some great like-minded individuals.

If anyone has questions about the WFR course I'm happy to answer.

I would actually like to know as much about this course as you can tell me. :allears:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Oxford Comma posted:

I would actually like to know as much about this course as you can tell me. :allears:

Well, where to begin... it was 10 days with a day off near the end and two evening sessions. one was just classroom time and the second one was an evening scenario.

It was a really good balance of classroom learning and outdoor scenarios putting everything we learned into practice.

I found the classroom time to be really engaging and entertaining, the instructors really knew their poo poo and did a great job of balancing serious topics w/ humor. There were a few slideshows to see what particular symptoms or wounds looked like and a lot of white-board diagrams.

The basis of the class is really built around their patient assessment triangle and really commit to memory the proper order in which to treat a wilderness injury. I'm sure other organizations have their own methodology but as they walk you through the logic behind the way they have it structured and why you do things when you do them you quickly realize that it's all completely deliberate and very logical.

They spend time on head trauma, cardiac issues, musculoskeletal injuries, altitude, submersion, cold & heat injuries, bites & stings, fractures, wound-care, allergic reactions, lightning, etc. etc. really full gamut.

Happy to go into more detail, spending 80 hours with a classroom of 30 outdoorsy people in 10 days was really great, it was awesome to hear all of the crazy stories people had. We had a huge range of people in our class, every one from Air Force SERE instructors, to kayak guides, to outdoor-school & camp instructors to a guy living off-grid in his own teepee in the mountains in Northern Washington.

If you can afford it (or convince your employer to pay for it) I'd definitely recommend taking a course.

Here's a video that goes through a quick assessment and focused spinal assessment. starts around 1:00.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXQAmx2AYIk

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

[ASK] me about living off the grid in my own teepee

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
oh god I found ways to spend a bunch of money on the zpacks website for no reason at all (cuben fiber pack cover that weighs 1.4 oz and is completely waterproof my god that would save me like 3 oz of regular water proof pack covers, and evernew titanium pots that would save me another 3-4 oz on my cookset, that's like almost half a lb altogether!)

Gonna have to tell my wife to quit her job so I don't have the money to spend on stupid poo poo

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Anyone use any of the LEAF backpacks by Arcteryx?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Business of Ferrets posted:

[ASK] me about living off the grid in my own teepee

That guy was actually really articulate and totally hilarious. He is big into permaculture design and lives like an hour's drive outside of town with his dog. He was saying he keeps a PO box in town as a way to make himself head in at least once every couple of weeks to get his mail and have a few beers at the bar so he doesn't let himself go too crazy in the woods by himself. He said he already knew a good deal of the skills they taught in the class but that the structured approach and assessment system they taught would prove invaluable. Being alone in the wilderness miles from the nearest humans presents it's own set of potential problems.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I have a First Ascent down jacket. It's OK, but my GoLite is a lot better.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Ended up buying a pair of Kuhl Raptrs after looking at both the Prana Zions and the Kuhl Slackrs.

I liked the fabric of the Zions but not the style so much. That one cargo pocket really didn't do it for me. The Slackrs ended up turning me off since they're 75% cotton. Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference but hiking in cotton sucks.

The Raptrs feel a bit heavier than both the Slackr and the Zion but I liked the description of the fabric and style wise they fit the bill.

Now I just have to wait a week for them to show up since REI didn't have them in my size.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

We all own Zions because we like the pockets. If we didn't we'd have Brions, which are the casual version you were looking at earlier.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Speleothing posted:

We all own Zions because we like the pockets. If we didn't we'd have Brions, which are the casual version you were looking at earlier.

Don't get me wrong, they're nice pants and I can see why they're so popular. I might even end up with a pair or two down the line but they weren't quite what I was looking for this time.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Gear chat is boring when you're poor. Have some pictures from a little hike I did around Montauk Point (NY):

The Atlantic.

A dead, very smelly fish.

A gorgeous beech grove in prime fall color.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Time Cowboy posted:

Gear chat is boring when you're poor. Have some pictures from a little hike I did around Montauk Point (NY):

The Atlantic.

A dead, very smelly fish.

A gorgeous beech grove in prime fall color.

No picture of the lighthouse? :(

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

krispykremessuck posted:

No picture of the lighthouse? :(

Here you go.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Ok, so I'm looking at the eTrex 20 or 30 (not sure if the 30 is worth the compass and altimeter for $100 more). Do they not come with any maps? If so, what maps should I get for it. They have some regions of the US which are $130 each. That's more than I thought. Are the birdseye maps worth the $30?

Ended up getting the eTrex 20 and am pleased with it so far. I used it at a little geocaching class that I took my nephew to over the weekend and it seemed to work ok. It doesn't update my position as fast as I want but my friend that I went with as well just said to keep moving around and it'll pick you back up. I might try out geocaching sometime.

Also, this is that Columbia jacket that I mentioned earlier and it works wonderfully. I probably paid way too much but I was on an up cycle and needed something immediately for some reason. I sweat a lot in it though so I wish it was more breathable but it should be great for this winter.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Edit: Oops this isn't the bike thread.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Also, this is that Columbia jacket that I mentioned earlier and it works wonderfully. I probably paid way too much but I was on an up cycle and needed something immediately for some reason. I sweat a lot in it though so I wish it was more breathable but it should be great for this winter.
That looks way, way too warm for cycling.