Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Metal Loaf posted:

This is from Star Wars Infinities: A New Hope #1.

Ummmm...

I know that face is some goon's avatar and for the longest time I thought it was a lady who smelled something terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's not quite a construction hat but I feel like this photo from ASM2 should be noted in this thread anyway

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man, if he defeats the menace of ELECTRO :science: by spraying him with a hosepipe, I dunno if I'll be incredibly happy or sad.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He looks like he's dancing in a music video.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
The fact that he's taken a brief moment to find a hat to go with the hosepipe makes me hopeful that he'll be a bit less emo and a bit more Spidey this time around.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pilchenstein posted:

The fact that he's taken a brief moment to find a hat to go with the hosepipe makes me hopeful that he'll be a bit less emo and a bit more Spidey this time around.

He was very minimally emo the first time around due to the movie trying not to be Tobey Macquire's Spider-Man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

VanSandman posted:

He was very minimally emo the first time around due to the movie trying not to be Tobey Macquire's Spider-Man.

Are you kidding me, the cinematography and script were a lot more angsty than the occasional melodramatic outbursts in the raimi films. I expected the screen to fade to black and white and rain to start pouring half the time Peter was onscreen.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Are you kidding me, the cinematography and script were a lot more angsty than the occasional melodramatic outbursts in the raimi films. I expected the screen to fade to black and white and rain to start pouring half the time Peter was onscreen.

You expect him to be all smiles right after his uncle dies?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

I didn't have a problem with it, but ASM was by far the more "emo" of the two film portrayals.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't have a problem with it, but ASM was by far the more "emo" of the two film portrayals.

Toby Mcquire cries all the loving time in his movies. ASM had jokes. Peter smiled and laughed and had fun.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SilverSupernova posted:

He.....He dies in both.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

VanSandman posted:

Toby Mcquire cries all the loving time in his movies. ASM had jokes. Peter smiled and laughed and had fun.

You're straight up having selective memories, which I guess is kinda easy for ASM since it was so schizophrenic in tone.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
A good example of the humorous side of ASM was this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nURhc_maQFg

I don't remember if the previous films did any humor that was this great.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Lurdiak posted:

You're straight up having selective memories, which I guess is kinda easy for ASM since it was so schizophrenic in tone.

I prefer to remember it in my own way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only thing I remember from any of Raimi's movies is Maguires stupid "making GBS threads his pants while crying" face in all of them. 3 was the worst offender, but 2 had a ton of this as well, and 1 had quite a bit. The only time I didn't find Peter "emo" in Raimi's was when he was wearing the black suit and acting like a total dick and actually being you know...happy and fulfilled, going after things that he wanted. In ASM other than his angst over his uncle and parents Peter seems like a much happier, much more well balanced person than Raimi's weird, creepy stalker Peter who looked like Andy Samberg in the "jizz in my pants" video as he cried for several hours straight (hyperbole).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

"Dark" Peter Parker in SM3 is the funniest thing in any Spider-Man film ever (apart from Bruce Campbell's questionably French waiter)
SM3 is easily the funniest.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

"Dark" Peter Parker in SM3 is the funniest thing in any Spider-Man film ever (apart from Bruce Campbell's questionably French waiter)

If SM3 consisted only of that scene, it'd be my favorite Spier-Man movie. Was "MMMMMMM, pie." in that movie too?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Soonmot posted:

If SM3 consisted only of that scene, it'd be my favorite Spier-Man movie. Was "MMMMMMM, pie." in that movie too?

It was 'How's the pie?'
'So good.'

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, so those two scenes are the best Rami Spidey has ever been.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, so those two scenes are the best Rami Spidey has ever been.

Nah, it's the one where Harry whips a pumpkin bomb at Peter and Peter's all 'I'm the Spider-Man bitch!' And whips it back at him, then struts away.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The best scene in the original trilogy was the Raimi as gently caress hospital scene in SM2

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It should have seemed hokey (and hell, maybe it did to everybody else) but for me, the scene in Spider-Man 2 where Spidey stops the runaway train with his webs and passes out, and is slowly passed over the heads of the passengers who lay him down to check on him is a really sweet moment that feels just right for the character.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Jerusalem posted:

It should have seemed hokey (and hell, maybe it did to everybody else) but for me, the scene in Spider-Man 2 where Spidey stops the runaway train with his webs and passes out, and is slowly passed over the heads of the passengers who lay him down to check on him is a really sweet moment that feels just right for the character.

I agree. It helps that Doc Ock immediately gives no fucks and justs pushes the whole crowd out of the way when they try to protect him.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Nahxela posted:

A good example of the humorous side of ASM was this scene:

I don't remember if the previous films did any humor that was this great.

This isn't funny. This is a git tormenting and bullying a guy ridiculously weaker than him. And this following Unkie Ben's last argument with Pete being over him doing just that to a high school bully. gently caress ASM.

[[this post doesn't contain a funny panel yet. It will]]

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

KayTee posted:

This isn't funny. This is a git tormenting and bullying a guy ridiculously weaker than him. And this following Unkie Ben's last argument with Pete being over him doing just that to a high school bully. gently caress ASM.

[[this post doesn't contain a funny panel yet. It will]]

It's called a character arc you idiot. When Captain Stacy says he knows Spider-Man is looking for someone, that he has a type, Peter starts to change.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My favorite moment in all four movies is still when Spider-Man caught Aunt May after she fell off the wall in 2. The score was absolutely triumphant, the way it was shot captured the sense of his movement and speed perfectly while keeping the perspective and height in frame and he was animated perfectly.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Have some Spiderman panels. I picked up some issues recently after thinking of Maximum Carnage for the first time in twenty years, and man, there were some great faces in the early 90's:

___

Amazing Spiderman 336-338.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Kalli posted:

Have some Spiderman panels. I picked up some issues recently after thinking of Maximum Carnage for the first time in twenty years, and man, there were some great faces in the early 90's:

Aunt May with the world's best oval office apron made me do a spit take, wow

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheJoker138 posted:

The only thing I remember from any of Raimi's movies is Maguires stupid "making GBS threads his pants while crying" face in all of them. 3 was the worst offender, but 2 had a ton of this as well, and 1 had quite a bit. The only time I didn't find Peter "emo" in Raimi's was when he was wearing the black suit and acting like a total dick and actually being you know...happy and fulfilled, going after things that he wanted. In ASM other than his angst over his uncle and parents Peter seems like a much happier, much more well balanced person than Raimi's weird, creepy stalker Peter who looked like Andy Samberg in the "jizz in my pants" video as he cried for several hours straight (hyperbole).

How do I...how do I "Like" a post here? I got a three hour rant about how terrible, broad, and schticky those movies were, there's not a single human-like interaction in any of those movies and, combined, they are worse than Batman and Robin. They did do that whole "home town hero" thing that had the crowds loving Spider-Man and defending him, but they even did that too broad. No. No. Just terrible movies from top to bottom from the second most over-rated director ever.
I haven't even seen ASM because the weird thing Garfield does with his head with every line he has and the way he narrates his every move makes me want to break my TV.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

VanSandman posted:

I agree. It helps that Doc Ock immediately gives no fucks and justs pushes the whole crowd out of the way when they try to protect him.

Yeah, that was a great little moment after rolling my eyes at the similar Green Goblin scene in the first movie when they start throwing bottles and bricks and stuff at him and shouting,"THIS IS NEW YOIK YOU MESS WIF ONE OF US YOU MESS WIF ALL OF US!" at him. I thought them bringing Spidey in and trying to protect him feel really genuine, but they didn't magically make Doc Ock back off, he just slammed them out of the way because come on, he's got giant metal telepathic tentacles!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Duke Igthorn posted:

How do I...how do I "Like" a post here? I got a three hour rant about how terrible, broad, and schticky those movies were, there's not a single human-like interaction in any of those movies and, combined, they are worse than Batman and Robin.

While I agree with most of this, I will defend the first movies' portrayal of J Jonah Jameson to the death.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, that was a great little moment after rolling my eyes at the similar Green Goblin scene in the first movie when they start throwing bottles and bricks and stuff at him and shouting,"THIS IS NEW YOIK YOU MESS WIF ONE OF US YOU MESS WIF ALL OF US!" at him. I thought them bringing Spidey in and trying to protect him feel really genuine, but they didn't magically make Doc Ock back off, he just slammed them out of the way because come on, he's got giant metal telepathic tentacles!

That was what made the scene work. It was a terribly hackneyed, cliched scene, straight out of the average mid-80s Teen Action Movie... and then Doc Ock is just like "Okay, sure, if that's what you want" and slams the Assembled Mass Of Inspirational New Yorkers out of the way (Alfred Molina sells that moment so well, it's his little smirk that takes it from a fun moment to an awesome one). By deliberately playing up and then subverting the cliche you get the single best scene (in my opinion, anyway) of the three Maguire films.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kalli posted:

___

So what you're saying is you really love Erik Larsen.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Gorilla Salad posted:

While I agree with most of this, I will defend the first movies' portrayal of J Jonah Jameson to the death.

To be fair, I'd defend JK Simmons to the death.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

To be fair, I'd defend JK Simmons to the death.

Yeah, if Simmon isn't recast as JJJ, it'll be a crime. I'm also glad I wasn't alone on the apron.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

TheJoker138 posted:

The only time I didn't find Peter "emo" in Raimi's was when he was wearing the black suit and acting like a total dick and actually being you know...happy and fulfilled, going after things that he wanted.
Which was, ironically, the part of the movie where he had "emo hair".

Gorilla Salad posted:

Just the first one? I thought he was great in all three.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

smashpro1 posted:

Which was, ironically, the part of the movie where he had "emo hair".

Just the first one? I thought he was great in all three.

He was the character in all three, but the first one has the scene where JJJ is dressing down Peter, talking about how Spider-man sucks, Goblin comes crashing through the window, threatening him for details about who gets pictures of Spider-man, and JJJ still has the integrity to not sell out Peter. It's very fitting of his character because he's a businessman first and foremost. A money grubbing blowhard who gets off on being an rear end in a top hat. But when it really comes down to it, he'll still stand up and do the right thing.

Maybe that's a better reflection of the writers, rather than the actor in this case, but I still think it helps the portrayal cement who the character is.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOtpeYERu9w
Here you go.

Also have a thing from Wizard Magazine

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Movie talk in the movie thread.

Not a photoshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kalli posted:

___

Yeah, Peter, I know she's beautiful and famous and all that, but Black Bolt is going to be seriously pissed of at you for stealing his girl and I don't think that you want him to go after you...

• Locked thread