Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
I have to say, all the Daken chat, and the suggestion to throw him on your team this tournament, is no joke. I need to get some wolverine covers stat and really get the Swiss cheese machine rolling. Regular rear end tile matches are tearing people apart!

Between the throwaway guest model 40 and Daken's self healing, I basically only have one character to worry about spending health kits on. I can't even imagine having wolverine in that mix, total self sustaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm going to start rolling with Classic Storm, Thor, and Daken. It will work even better if I can finally get a goddamn green Thor (for versatility). It might seem counter intuitive to use Daken, since he needs the yellows for healing and Thor needs them for crushing, but he's meant to just chill in the back and crap out strike gems.

I got a snapshot of myself at #1. It lasted all of about 10 seconds

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Well this was a decent draw for a heroic token. He's already level 30

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Would Wolverine and Daken really play all that nicely together? I can see the appeal, but currently my Daken is seriously under-levelled (but 4/4 thanks to a good run of covers). I wouldn't want his strike tiles to block Wolverine's much more awesome ones - there are only so many reds on the board at a time.
Maybe I just need like 50k more ISO to get them closer in power. It WOULD be nice to have some decent purple/black damage, too.

Wolverine alone does tear poo poo up with strike tiles, but can take a while to get rolling if the board doesn't cooperate.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

I think I'm going to start rolling with Classic Storm, Thor, and Daken. It will work even better if I can finally get a goddamn green Thor (for versatility). It might seem counter intuitive to use Daken, since he needs the yellows for healing and Thor needs them for crushing, but he's meant to just chill in the back and crap out strike gems.

I got a snapshot of myself at #1. It lasted all of about 10 seconds

This combination actually works very well. Get 5 purple covers for Daken and watch the strike tiles pile up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Once you level him up, his strike tiles get decently powerful. Wolverine's are way stronger, but with both of them running, you're not cursing when all your strike tiles get wiped out with a lucky cascade. Throw in Modern Storm or Dr Doom's demons for extra 200-300 damage a turn since the strike tiles also stack with those.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Once you level him up, his strike tiles get decently powerful. Wolverine's are way stronger, but with both of them running, you're not cursing when all your strike tiles get wiped out with a lucky cascade. Throw in Modern Storm or Dr Doom's demons for extra 200-300 damage a turn since the strike tiles also stack with those.

I think this may just be my next project.
Edit: Especially since the strike bonus damage doesn't seem to be affected by diminishing returns from a cascade (it's hard to tell, it happens so fast), having All Strike, All the Time seems like a solid plan.

Kravdraa fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 10, 2013

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I kind of wish I had a Loki just to use as a hilarious Daken/Wolverine counter. Convert enemy strike tiles into protect tiles for me, and enemy protect tiles into strike tiles for me? Sounds good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh yeah... running into a Loki is bad news as a Wolverine/Daken team. Just dont do it.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I just fought a guy in the IM event that didn't show up in the ranking. He had 718 points but the list went from 715 straight to 720-something. Can we fight people from other brackets?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, I was starting to suspect that was going on too. Getting a lot of people that arent showing up in ranks for my bracket attacking me.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

seravid posted:

I just fought a guy in the IM event that didn't show up in the ranking. He had 718 points but the list went from 715 straight to 720-something. Can we fight people from other brackets?

That happened to me yesterday too. I was (briefly) in the top 10, got attacked by someone with more points than anyone in the bracket.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

seravid posted:

Yeah, it has always been like that. You can fight people not in your brackets, but your scores are only compared against the bracket scores.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'm approaching the point where I may actually spend Hero Points on power training. I have a variety of 2*s that need upgrades (one more for Thor, two for Wolverine and Bullseye, a bunch for Maggie Grey, Daken and Hawkeye Modern) and 500 HP awards are getting more common, and I'm at 23 slots at the moment.

I REALLY want to skill up Spidey Classic, but, well, 1250.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I had one free slot and then I get handed the regular wolverine. Now I have to either get rid of something or find a way to get more gold (pay $5 even heaven forbid)

I do have a bag-man with level 1 blue/gold powers that I barely use.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

I had one free slot and then I get handed the regular wolverine. Now I have to either get rid of something or find a way to get more gold (pay $5 even heaven forbid)

I do have a bag-man with level 1 blue/gold powers that I barely use.
You will get 1 cover of each of Wolverine's powers later on in the story mode, so it will be easier to level him up! Also, he's way better than bagman.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

^^ you can get hero points in tons of story missions.

FYI, for those curious I only just discovered that the final Daken mission in the last chapter has 3 Wolverine covers. There I was lamenting his lack of covers and noticed I'd never completed the penultimate mission in that chapter!

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

bubbapook posted:

^^ you can get hero points in tons of story missions.
That's true. You have a week to expand your collection before you lose covers from your cache. At the beginning it should be easy to grind for extra hero points.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I exhausted a lot of the hero points ones to get up to the slots I am on now after wasting them on leveling characters when the game first released.

I do think I should revisit the story mode and start completing that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I still have 100 points remaining that I could claim for the Ragnarok mission.

But its Ragnarok. :ohdear:

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

I still have 100 points remaining that I could claim for the Ragnarok mission.

But its Ragnarok. :ohdear:

Yeah, likewise. Something to do when you're full on health packs, boosts and not interested the tournament, I guess.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The first time I got Spidey and Venom together, I threw on as many boosts to black and blue mana as I could, went in on my first attempt and ATE him. I then tried maybe five more times after that and failed miserably.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

There didn't seem to be any middle ground with Ragnarok. Either I managed to pull out a bunch of powers and took him apart, or he'd pull out a bunch of powers and take me apart. Glad I got all his presents because I don't want to fight him again. He's a dick.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The Ragnarok mission isn't completely horrific because he's alone. You can play keepaway from red and green with him, you can lock him down with Widow, you can go in with AP boosts with Thormverine and nuke the poo poo out of him. After dealing with 5000 HP Thors regularly in PvP a 7000 HP Ragnarok isn't quite as terrifying.

Got 900 just now before being plinked back down, going for 1000 tomorrow. If I get it, at that point I can either skill up one of my 2*s twice or I can take up to seven cracks at Heroic tokens and get six Bag-Men.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

delfin posted:

The Ragnarok mission isn't completely horrific because he's alone. You can play keepaway from red and green with him, you can lock him down with Widow, you can go in with AP boosts with Thormverine and nuke the poo poo out of him. After dealing with 5000 HP Thors regularly in PvP a 7000 HP Ragnarok isn't quite as terrifying.

Got 900 just now before being plinked back down, going for 1000 tomorrow. If I get it, at that point I can either skill up one of my 2*s twice or I can take up to seven cracks at Heroic tokens and get six Bag-Men.

You know you want the bad man. I just finished skilling up my second 1* storm to 5/5/3 when my first one was 4/5/4 and now have her over lvl 20. Having her and draken who is higher level than her and Iron man 40 for the pvp thing is sick. Draken heals, storm pops all the environment tiles and puts extra damage on the board and her green is like pay 10 ap get 16 ap weeee. It has been how I have popped Iron man 40s red on my turn 3 to just murder the other team.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I still crack up when the AI uses juggernaut's ability and you end up winning cause he killed himself.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Now that the Juggernaut tourney's over, spare a thought for those poor bastards with useless overlevelled Juggernauts.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Now that the Juggernaut tourney's over, spare a thought for those poor bastards with useless overlevelled Juggernauts.

I laugh at them before beating them up. Thank you, Free For All Tournament. Now we just need one that buffs Bag Man.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

I'm still using mine cause that green power is fun. It destroys 16 tiles at level 4, and only costs 7AP. You don't get AP back but they do damage plus you get all the random tiles all over that might match for API.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

SynthOrange posted:

I dunno why everyone's so down on Juggernaut. He's not amazing, but he's alright as a second stringer when you need a wall of meat and someone who can clear the board when tiles aren't going your way.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SynthOrange posted:

I've been using mine for grinding the Prologue missions - him and Thor are like a human centipede of gem matching.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ew. Thanks for that horrifying mental image.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Ew. Thanks for that horrifying mental image.

Make sure to add in that grunting noise Juggernaut makes when he charges.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

McDragon posted:

I laugh at them before beating them up. Thank you, Free For All Tournament. Now we just need one that buffs Bag Man.

Problem is that buffing Bag-Man also buffs Classic Spidey, and screw that guy at high levels. 2 AP for a stun? You can never ever let him match blue.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Never assume its the default Iron Man you will fight. thankfully the red combo saved my rear end here.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think they hosed something up, I haven't been able to see the Iron Man 40 for the last couple of hours, it just says "No missions are currently available" so I figured maybe it just ended early. At least it seems to have for me. :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Still there for me, on iOS. Force quit and restart?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

OK Octopus posted:

It is breathtaking how shamelessly each successive update is a bigger and bigger gently caress you to the player.

Haha! Now you can't enhance powers without premium currency!

Haha! Now your maximum healing items are halved!

Haha! Now leveling up doesn't refill health!

gently caress these guys.

You forgot the biggest gently caress of all - retreating takes a third of you total health. The leveling to heal was never sustainable, but in a game where you can easily be completely hosed by one bad AP cascade (especially at high levels), retreating was the last bastion of sanity against the RNG. Especially when the last 15 minutes are all that matters for rankings within the 50, it seems like this change is primarily to sell health packs (now priced at ~$1 for you whole team!) And if they keep minion damage ridiculously high, the next PVE event is going to be a lot of waiting around for health packs in order to get screwed again by an unmatchable counter in a corner doing 2000 damage to your whole team (or a whooole lotta venom runs to try to heal in between retreats). I'm probably just getting old and cranky, but as much as I like puzzle quest, I'm quickly losing patience with this puzzle quest.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Got my 1000 this morning. Touch-and-go, but with boosts you can blast through even tough opponents pretty quickly, and today's reward being three extra health packs helped a lot.

The progression rewards are seductive, though. Spidey Yellow only 100 more? (Of course, as I type that I see I lost 96 points while making tea.)

The trick to progression is to go after it in waves. The health pack changes fit right into that because every two hours or so you're right back in position. Since it's PvP, you're gaining anywhere from 210 - 420 ISO every three fights when you're winning, so +3 AP all / +3 AP to four colors costs you from 0 - 190 ISO to renew, averaging about a hundred. Blast through tough targets in a hurry, get your reward, let them plink you back down and recharge. Bigger targets will be easier on the last days when others have high scores too and are worth more to defeat.

Stickman posted:

You forgot the biggest gently caress of all - retreating takes a third of you total health.

THAT is specifically targeted at the people who pounded the poo poo out of the Unstable ISO missions. I was one of them and I can say that what we did was within the rules but not necessarily the spirit of the tourney.

(For reference, the repeatable mission was always something nasty, like the one that was Spy 90 / Spy 90 / Pyro 90 or something like that. So you could go in, analyze the board and decide "can I beat this one and take no damage doing so?" If so, do it and collect your points; if not, retreat and go back in until you get a good board. Dedicated spergers got thousands of points doing that.)

delfin fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

delfin posted:

THAT is specifically targeted at the people who pounded the poo poo out of the Unstable ISO missions. I was one of them and I can say that what we did was within the rules but not necessarily the spirit of the tourney.

(For reference, the repeatable mission was always something nasty, like the one that was Spy 90 / Spy 90 / Pyro 90 or something like that. So you could go in, analyze the board and decide "can I beat this one and take no damage doing so?" If so, do it and collect your points; if not, retreat and go back in until you get a good board. Dedicated spergers got thousands of points doing that.)

It's also a side nerf to people like me who would go into random HAMMER missions with the intent of using Classic Spidey to heal. If there was a countdown tile about to go off, I'd use all my blue and yellow to heal for as much as I could, retreat, and come back in. Thankfully the health pack buff put an end to the need for that.