Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Megasabin posted:

I'm sure this question has been asked 9 million times, but I just got the game, and what is more fun to play-- strider or magic archer?

Magic Archer gets a lot of love in this thread (and lighting yourself on fire is pretty cool), but for my money nothing in the game is more fun than strider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tunaism
Dec 24, 2011

Zore posted:

I think the only real problem I'm having is that none of my spells, even charged fully, seem to break the minimum damage threshold on the bosses while they do on the regular enemies. Which only happened one time for me in the regular game when I spent nearly an hour running around the coastal bandit fort at level 11 doing almost no damage and just whittling down bandits who were way too difficult.

Whats the best way to get experience in Everfall? Farm wakestones to buy the EXP boosters and pop them on bosses?

Honestly, just explore it. There are so many boss monsters down there that you'll get buff in no time at all.

Krinkle posted:

Do all griffins retreat to the bluemoon tower? Or did he just fly away and despawn? I did nothing but shoot his wings, or use the magic thing that lets me shoot everything (so I know I'm shooting his wings) and he just got bored and left. I killed more buffalo but he wasn't having any of it.

Just that quest specific one. Griffins are jerks.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zore posted:

I think the only real problem I'm having is that none of my spells, even charged fully, seem to break the minimum damage threshold on the bosses while they do on the regular enemies. Which only happened one time for me in the regular game when I spent nearly an hour running around the coastal bandit fort at level 11 doing almost no damage and just whittling down bandits who were way too difficult.

Whats the best way to get experience in Everfall? Farm wakestones to buy the EXP boosters and pop them on bosses?

I'm curious, what's your magic attack stat? Cause leveling up primarily as a sorcerer, and if you have a good magick bow (either Grigori one or the one from the Everfall merchant) you should be doing enough damage to break the threshold.

Also I just found a cape that is literally a set of pauldrons.

Irony.or.Death posted:

Magic Archer gets a lot of love in this thread (and lighting yourself on fire is pretty cool), but for my money nothing in the game is more fun than strider.

As fun as Implicate is, Strider doesn't really have anything else going for it, imo.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Megasabin posted:

I'm sure this question has been asked 9 million times, but I just got the game, and what is more fun to play-- strider or magic archer?
Magick Archer for sure. Among the colorful skills MA gets, you can literally set yourself on fire.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nahxela posted:

Magick Archer for sure. Among the colorful skills MA gets, you can literally set yourself on fire.

Something I've wondered, is it possible to get 100% fire resistance and not take any damage from Immolate?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I think Immolation does fixed damage to your health that's independent to fire resistance? I don't know.

Fun fact, using it is a good way to counter Mimics from eating you if you're doing a solo BBI run. The more you know.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Genocyber posted:

As fun as Implicate is, Strider doesn't really have anything else going for it, imo.

Leaping Stone -> Skull Splitter :colbert:
Also Mad Dash is the best ability when you're running through BBI and can't be bothered to stop and murder small stuff. But mostly it's about jumping really high, I admit.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Nahxela posted:

Does the Dark Arisen expansion count

Could someone tell me what this is all about?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
It's new content to the main game which adds a big dungeon with new monsters, armor, weapons, and rings that'll give you access to tier 3 skills, among other things. There are some other changes to the game such as more port crystals lying around, cheaper ferrystones, and some other changes I don't remember.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have standalone DLC, and you have to rebuy the game + Dark Arisen, but it's tons of fun and the challenge offered from the new area, Bitterblack Isle, and its new enemies is pretty great.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon%27s_Dogma:_Dark_Arisen

From the OP

quote:

Following the announcement of Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen last year we are now pleased to confirm concrete details about this expansion to the world of Dragon’s Dogma. Scheduled for release on both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 from April 23 in North America and April 26 across Europe, Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen is the next exciting chapter in the Dragon’s Dogma franchise. Coming both on a physical disc and as a full game digital download, the title delivers a huge brand new area, missions, enemies and more, plus all of the content from the original game.

Just off the Gransys mainland is the cursed Bitterblack Isle and it is here that gamers will discover an underground realm, complete with new terrifying foes to face and incredible treasure to find as they embark on an all new quest. Owners of the original Dragon’s Dogma will be able to export their existing characters and all other saved data, to continue their journey as the Arisen and face this new threat that has emerged from the cavernous depths. Players will be able to take their characters to new heights, with brand new high-level skills and augments as well as all new weapons and armour sets. For those that missed Dragon’s Dogma the first time around, Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen provides the opportunity to start their journey from the very beginning before tackling the all new content.

Furthermore, owners of the original Dragon’s Dogma will receive the following for free on purchasing Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen: 100,000 Rift Crystals, unlimited Ferrystones and the Gransys Armour Pack consisting of six brand new costumes.

Based on player feedback, Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen will make the Dragon’s Dogma gameplay experience even more satisfying, with improvements such as easier travel and a more intuitive menu system. For those who already own Dragon’s Dogma and then purchase Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen, these improvements will be automatically retrofitted to their original game.

So, what does Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen deliver? All of the content from the original Dragon’s Dogma plus…
A massive new underground realm to explore featuring over 25 terrifying new enemies
More skills/equipment/augments:
Level 3 Skills
DD:DA provides each character class with a new tier of skills, giving players new devastating abilities and skills to master
Over 100 pieces of new equipment
All new high level weapons and armor sets for players venturing into the underground caverns.
14 new character/Pawn augments
New tiers of equipment enhancement
Increased character customisation options
Item appraisal
Option to select Japanese voice over

Nahxela fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 10, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Could someone tell me what this is all about?

Capcom released Super Dragon's Dogma Hyper Turbo Edition. It comes with all the previous on-disk DLC, an entire new area in the game that's designed to provide a challenge even to higher leveled players, and it makes a bunch of quality of life changes, such as making Ferrystones cost 1/10th what they did previously, and placing 5 portcrystals at various places in Gransys.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So, I have a character that I've beaten the game with that I'm pretty sure I still have the save game for. If I re buy the game on marketplace can I use my previous save and get that infinite ferrystone bonus and stuff?

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Bob NewSCART posted:

So, I have a character that I've beaten the game with that I'm pretty sure I still have the save game for. If I re buy the game on marketplace can I use my previous save and get that infinite ferrystone bonus and stuff?

Yes, as long as you have a save from the original DD you can get the bonus RC, outfits and infinite ferrystone on your old character or any new ones you make.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm confused about some of these pawns that show up for you to enlist... I constantly see some with terrible/zero equipment, or low level/no skills equipped. Why is this? Why would someone have their pawn like that?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Some combination of incompetence and a desire for naked fantasy minions. The ratio varies from pawn to pawn.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Cheap video game sex appeal brings in the RC.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Magic Archer is is then. What basic class do I want to start as? Mage?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Megasabin posted:

Mage or Strider is fine.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Megasabin posted:

Try out every class, to get a diverse spread of augments and more balanced stats.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

No one seems to be talking about being fighter or warrior which is I'm pretty sure what my dude is. Is being an archer/spell casting type of guy much better or is it just preference for you guys?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Fighter and Warriors have their own perks, but, man. Doing things like summoning Meteors, shooting lasers, lighting yourself on fire, wrecking the FPS due to your Sigils. All that stuff is just too cool. Also, Fighters and Warriors don't have as many mobility options. Staves let you hover, daggers let you double jump. I like having one of those for running around.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bob NewSCART posted:

No one seems to be talking about being fighter or warrior which is I'm pretty sure what my dude is. Is being an archer/spell casting type of guy much better or is it just preference for you guys?

Well, its mostly just more boring. Magic lets you do poo poo like heal people (mage), light yourself on fire (magick Archer), or call down meteors from the sky (Sorcerer), or summon a gently caress off magic cannon you shoot by hitting it with your sword (Mystic Knight. And Strider/Ranger/Assassins get all the cool Ninja poo poo like higher jumping and great ranged ability.

Most fighter/warrior abilities boil down to 'and then I hit it a slightly different way with my sword' with no real versatility like every other class gets (Range, different damage types, great movement etc.) And also, the stuff in the DLC area in Dark Arisen feels like it would be hard as poo poo for anyone who relied wholly on melee, that poo poo is brutal up close.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nahxela posted:

Fighter and Warriors have their own perks, but, man. Doing things like summoning Meteors, shooting lasers, lighting yourself on fire, wrecking the FPS due to your Sigils. All that stuff is just too cool. Also, Fighters and Warriors don't have as many mobility options. Staves let you hover, daggers let you double jump. I like having one of those for running around.

To the defense of the Warriors, they are for most purposes pretty bad. They're slow, they lack mobility, they lack options due to only having three moves at any given time. Their main claim to fame is an unwieldy as gently caress, long charge time super smash.

All this makes Warriors sound bad. The thing is, that super smash, if you get it off JUST right, is literally the most satisfying attack in the entire game. That single fact makes them immensely fun to play, because when you get that ONE PERFECT HIT in, and smash several lifebars out of a boss in one move... There's nothing like it. Other classes are more effective or efficient. But nothing compares to Warriors for absolute sheer feeling of being a loving BADASS.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If only there was a gotchabitch.mpeg for Dragma

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

To the defense of the Warriors, they are for most purposes pretty bad. They're slow, they lack mobility, they lack options due to only having three moves at any given time. Their main claim to fame is an unwieldy as gently caress, long charge time super smash.

All this makes Warriors sound bad. The thing is, that super smash, if you get it off JUST right, is literally the most satisfying attack in the entire game. That single fact makes them immensely fun to play, because when you get that ONE PERFECT HIT in, and smash several lifebars out of a boss in one move... There's nothing like it. Other classes are more effective or efficient. But nothing compares to Warriors for absolute sheer feeling of being a loving BADASS.

Plus you can cosplay as Guts.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

It's literally impossible to catch the home town thief isn't it?

e: okay I did it. The clue was: I can't shoot magic arrows at him. Implying he isn't a target. So none of my "zoom forward and stab him" skills lock on, or hit. Just standing still and tossing out a single light punch did though.

I was "average" encumberence and he runs faster than me. There is no running into him in town. He runs faster than I can. And he does some psycho mantis bullshit where the instant I press the grab button he spins on a dime and is gone. I am left grabbing air. Every time I dashed forward to stab something he'd just run through me and out the gate. Eight tries.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 10, 2013

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Krinkle posted:

It's literally impossible to catch the home town thief isn't it?

No? You just need to run into him to stagger him and they you should be able to grab him pretty easily. You have infinite sprint in town.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You're supposed to grab him, not kill him.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Well grabbing him was impossible. He broke and started spinning in a tight circle and I got about twelve good grabs in before his AI fixed and he ran off to the church again and my arms go literally through him. You can only beat him unconscious and then grab him, even youtubes of people accomplishing it have them chasing him grabbing air for five minutes and eventually just beating the poo poo out of him and picking him up off the ground.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Megasabin posted:

I'd say a better question is Magick Archer or Assassin. I can't really remember what the Strider gets that's unique, but I'm biased because I played through most of the game as an assassin. I'd honestly say Magick Archer because being able to use staves and knives on a single class is pretty handy. The biggest downside is you can't abuse the loving christ out of Blast Arrows as an MA.

abagofcheetos posted:

I'm confused about some of these pawns that show up for you to enlist... I constantly see some with terrible/zero equipment, or low level/no skills equipped. Why is this? Why would someone have their pawn like that?

Well, is it zero or equipment or 'sexy' equipment? I turned my pawn into a sexy elf lady and gave her a silver breastplate (read, bra) and came back a few days later to hundreds of thousands of RC. There are also lots of people who just don't give a gently caress about their dudes.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Krinkle posted:

What do I do to order my goddamn sorcerer pawn, the only one of us with magical attacks, to maybe think about doing literally anything about the phantasms constantly harrying the rest of us mundane sword and bow assholes? It isn't go or come here or help me. He puts those balls of light to rotate around him, and then does nothing, for twenty straight minutes.

I don't WANT to walk him down to them. There's a boss fight there. I'm not fighting a boss in the middle of three loving phantasms. Attack them when I make them mad and they come up here and glom onto us. Attack them! Do your loving job!

How do you play this game as not magic/something because you will eventually need to do magic and nobody will do it for you.

Check your pawn's inclinations. If it doesn't have Utilitarian/Scather/Challenger, it's just going to pussyfoot around being a dumbass. You can change inclinations at the encampment.

Sorcerer is only useful for the Magic and Cast Speed augments unless you're playing the class yourself since you can pick and choose when/what to cast. If you want a magic pawn, make him a Mage, or just set him to use Mage-only skills. A big misconception players make is that 2nd tier vocations are automatically better than the 1st tier vocations, which couldn't be further from the truth. Sorcerers: Long Cast Times = Extremely High Damage. Mages: Shorter casts = Still pretty drat awesome damage.

Mages rule, especially once you unlock 3rd tier skills via BBI rings. Grand Ingle = Fire Machinegun hilarity! Same goes for Grand Frigor and Levin.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 10, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Krinkle posted:

Well grabbing him was impossible. He broke and started spinning in a tight circle and I got about twelve good grabs in before his AI fixed and he ran off to the church again and my arms go literally through him. You can only beat him unconscious and then grab him, even youtubes of people accomplishing it have them chasing him grabbing air for five minutes and eventually just beating the poo poo out of him and picking him up off the ground.

There's one part in his path through the town where he darts down a small strip of grass between a fence and a dropoff. He immediately doubles back at that point, so it's easy to catch him if you stop when he enters that area and grab him as he's running back.

Or you could just smack him down, but I find that a bit less satisfying. The idea is to know where he'll be running and wait for him to run into you, not chase him in circles forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B30gT5jh4ck&t=291s

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

WeaponBoy posted:

Well, is it zero or equipment or 'sexy' equipment? I turned my pawn into a sexy elf lady and gave her a silver breastplate (read, bra) and came back a few days later to hundreds of thousands of RC. There are also lots of people who just don't give a gently caress about their dudes.

Can you please explain that? What does RC points get you? I keep seeing it, assuming it means "how many learn-a-skill points I have in my pocket" but it's always just barely off so I don't know.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

RC is for brainwashing your pawns and identifying cursed BBI items. You're going to want lots of it once you can tackle BBI. (BBI) Monsters drop it like it's going out of style and you can find pretty generous amounts in chests, but other players hiring your pawn is like robbing the bank and getting away with it. Some people deck out their pawns in thongs because some pervert will hire them out so he can stare at pixel-booty while murdering chimeras.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Any tips for taking an Assassin into BBI? I think so far I have met the other Arisen, but what are the best skills to have? I currently use Dire Gouge as my go to big monster killing skill.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If you're going hard melee, bring some sort of magic pawn to help you with Spectral Knights, since they become immune to physical attacks after a certain point. Also, nearly everything there is weak to either frost or thunder. Watch out for Eliminators (Minotaurs), they're faster than they look and will gently caress you up in record time.

I prefer Daggers to Swords, personally. I roll with Gale Harness, Invisibility, and Hundred Kisses.

If you want to stick to Swords I'd stick with Burst Strike, Great Windmill, and Dire Gouge.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 10, 2013

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Krinkle posted:

Yeah it's really hard, but I'm playing this for the first time now and I grabbed him without hitting him. You just need to time it a little bit early, the "whoosh" sound effect is when the grab activates. I followed the wiki's advice and just stood still outside of the inn instead of chasing after him. He literally just runs laps of the town. (checked the wiki after aforementioned Psycho Mantis bullshit)

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
After failing two nights in a row I just beat him senseless to knock him down then picked him up for a victory.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Magus42 posted:

After failing two nights in a row I just beat him senseless to knock him down then picked him up for a victory.

Yeah, I assumed that I would fail the quest if I killed him. loving guy.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

The easiest way to catch the thief is to be a strider and use ensnare/implicate.

vvvHe did say he was trying to shoot magic arrows at the thief so I assumed he had done some training.

Bakalakadaka fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Bakalakadaka posted:

The easiest way to catch the thief is to be a strider and use ensnare/implicate.

I think most folks haven't even paid for their first augment when doing this quest.

• Locked thread