Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CivilDisobedience posted:

The cartwheels are most likely for cartwheel passes which are an essential tool for beating an active guard. Do learn how to do a cartwheel though so you don't accidentally tuck your knees on the landing and mess them or your opponent's face up...

I like the Matt Serra one arm cartwheel thing it's funny because people never expect you to pass that way. Also I find myself using the "monkey hop" method when grabbing the gi pants. My brazillian instructor uses it at the black belt level so I figured I should lock it down as a white belt. It was really rare to see in tournaments and I find good success with it.

KingColliwog posted:

fuckin sprained thumb for the 5th time or so. god I hate my body. Hope I can go back to training next week
I've got two hosed thumbs, my right knuckle is literally 1.5x the size of my left. It's ridiculous. I strap both of them for every training I do now days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

BlindSite posted:

I've got two hosed thumbs, my right knuckle is literally 1.5x the size of my left. It's ridiculous. I strap both of them for every training I do now days.

I feel you. I have two other knuckles that are huge and painful and I usually tape my right thumb even when it feels back 100% because this piece of poo poo of a thumb likes to get sprained if I breath on it too hard... But hey this month I decided "gently caress this, I haven't sprained my thumb in almost a year, I don't need to tape it anymore! :downs:"

Well turns out I'm a loving idiot. Literally never not taping it again if I'm going to play volleyball or do judo.

Very lucky I didn't plan on doing the big comp this weekend or I would have been pissed x10000

how long do you guys take off for a sprained thumb? I'm gonna make sure there is nothing broken... I think last time I went to a comp like 4 days after I got it sprained, I just put an ungodly amount of tape and soldiered through the pain, but I doubt this is a good idea.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 1, 2013

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I habitually buddy tape my middle and ring fingers on both hands. I've popped both ring fingers catching them in gis. Last night I popped a toe and a guy held an arm bar a little longer than I wanted him to, so I'm hobbling around a bit. Jiu Jitsu, yay!

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
My right thumb is hosed beyond belief, i broke it in half punching a dude really hard in the skull with no handwraps in MMA gloves and now it sprains if I look at it funny. I find taking lots of time off to let it heal fully isnt really needed every time it re-sprains, i just take a day or two and then I find that getting back into training (with wraps, and lots of warm-up and rehab type hand exercises before training, sometimes ice after) it heals better if you just jump back into using it

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

My toes are perpetually sprained, either from throwing lowkicks or hitting people on the elbow with a teep. It's just part of training a lot :(

I used to have problems with my thumbs also, but since I switched gloves (now only Top King 14 oz) that has completely gone away.

I really need to start taping my toes, but I hate how it feels on the mats.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Internetjack posted:

A few comments on Aikido; I trained in it for four years back in my college days. It was one of the best things I ever did for myself.

I like how Aikido was classified in the OP, a performance discipline.

In four years, training 2-3 days a week, I never learned to be an rear end-kicking machine; nor did I ever want to be one.
What I did learn though was more of a philosophy, a way of being and walking through life. There was plenty of cool poo poo and exercise too.

What I learned was breathing, walking, being calm in mind and body, relaxing, and facing conflict with love in your heart. These were lessons I could take off the mat, into my every day life. These are lessons that have served me in work, friendships, and confrontations for the last 16 years. That is why I love Aikido. I still do my turning exercises in the living room to this day.

The best advice I can offer anyone that is looking to pursue a martial art, is to be humble. Subject yourself sincerely to what the teacher and school is offering. Don't judge, don't critique. It may take years for the lessons to make sense. If you're not comfortable with what you are submitting to, then maybe it is not the school or discipline that is appropriate for you. Feel free to shop around. There are lots of arts, schools, and teachers out there. Find one that suits what you are looking for.

Edit: Xguard86, thanks for considering my words for addition to the OP and adding them. When someone wants to learn a MA there can be a thousand different reasons, and I'm glad to see the thread will gladly regard them all. And high-fives to any aikidoka that show up in the thread.

Though I have only had a brief run in with Aikido I loved every moment and even had the pleasure of having a 3 hour seminar with Christian Tissier when he visited our dojo. I'm much like you in that I never learned how to be amazing at the art but a lot of lessons have stuck with me and I was amazed how grounded and centered you can become with a little training

My favourite move has to be tai no henko because of the sheer versatility and how easy it branches into other moves.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
So since I've had the whole week off as I transition from one company to another, I've been taking advantage of that to really dive into my Muay Thai training; Before it's back to the daily 9-5 grind.

Well, it turns out that spending ~4.5 hours at the gym between a private session with a trainer, bag work, rounds on the Thai pads with partners, regular MT class, and lastly, a boxing class is a good way to wreck your body! Once the combination ADHD-fueled energy and Adderall wore off, I realized my hands were sore as hell.

My shins weren't sore, but were just 'spent'. Not sure how to describe it, but the thought of kicking anything with them was too much to bear. I also accidentally missed the Thai pads on a kick and smashed my foot into my partner's elbow. Almost 30 hours later, it's finally starting to not hurt. I also managed to come away with sore inner thighs somehow.

Fast forward to today. I woke up with sore shins, a throbbing/bruised foot, and inner thighs that are sore and bruised to the point of being almost blue/black. I also feel like I'm coming down with a cold and perpetually dehydrated.

And to think that this volume of training is considered normal in Thailand, day in and day out! Man, I thought of taking a vacation at some point in my life and training in Thailand for a few weeks. I'm going to have to prepare waayyy more than I thought I would need to if I want to survive at any gym in Thailand!

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
How do you guys tell when its time for a sore body part to be checked out for physio or a doctor? My ankle has been hurting/bugging me now for about two weeks now. It hurts when I bend it, then push off (like doing burpees suck because of the angle it puts it on). I took a good week off BJJ and weight lifting. When's a good indicator its time to actually get it checked out?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

swagger like us posted:

How do you guys tell when its time for a sore body part to be checked out for physio or a doctor? My ankle has been hurting/bugging me now for about two weeks now. It hurts when I bend it, then push off (like doing burpees suck because of the angle it puts it on). I took a good week off BJJ and weight lifting. When's a good indicator its time to actually get it checked out?

There's no hard and fast rule for me, and this will sound dumb, but I mostly worry when it feels like more than a slight hurty or gets worse.

Also there's a pretty good chance I'll get to do a BJJ seminar with Kenny Florian in december the day before the brisbane UFC card.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

swagger like us posted:

Basically when it isn't getting better / actively getting worse, I cut my activity down. If it's still not getting better / actively getting worse I'd seek a professional opinion.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

swagger like us posted:

Much like others have said if the injury doesn't seem to be getting better or is getting worse then it's time to see a professional. From the sounds of it it sounds like you have a sprained ankle which can take a while in itself to heal, has the pain remained the same or has it been getting less over the weeks?

Best rule of thumb I can give is if you are unsure/worried go see a professional, after all it's better safe than sorry.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

swagger like us posted:

When it feels like I should go. If something hurt for a month or so or is getting worst, won't get better if I take some days off, etc. I usually "know"

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Yo guys, Lumbago, ever had it? It has a really fitting name in Finnish lore, it's called the "witch arrow" (noidannuoli).

I got hit a few times 6-7 years ago, got interested in the why and how after which I amped up on my core exercises. Back then I had a really bad position in my office chair, still do, and really weak deep muscles around my spine so it was sorted... right?

Now I got it the same day I had to move half of my apartment to another place, I couldn't sit, couldn't walk... :haw:

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Ligur posted:

Yo guys, Lumbago, ever had it? It has a really fitting name in Finnish lore, it's called the "witch arrow" (noidannuoli).

I got hit a few times 6-7 years ago, got interested in the why and how after which I amped up on my core exercises. Back then I had a really bad position in my office chair, still do, and really weak deep muscles around my spine so it was sorted... right?

Now I got it the same day I had to move half of my apartment to another place, I couldn't sit, couldn't walk... :haw:

happened to me twice for very obscure reasons (stupid movements that shouldn't have caused problem) but it always sorted itself out pretty fast.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

KingColliwog posted:

happened to me twice for very obscure reasons (stupid movements that shouldn't have caused problem) but it always sorted itself out pretty fast.

Yeah it usually is obscure, the first two times I got a lumbago attack it was from picking up something, like a sock, from the ground. But as it happened twice in the span of less than 6 months and the second time took more than a week to heal (and my lower back was sore anyway, incl. sciatica symptoms), I figured I should look into it and my employer pays for a physiotherapist if ur hosed up. Basically what followed was 1,5 months of daily rehab exercises and then me doing an increasing amount of stomach, back and side planks, crab walks from a very low push-up position, you name it. *poof* back problems mostly gone for years.

Friday was my fault though, I was lifting a box full of training gear from "a position of disadvantage" (to say the least), my right lower back spasmed and down I went. It was rather severe as my back was bent to the left (kinda like an "s") for two days. I could hobble along like some kinda of gimp with the gait and fluidity of movement of a chronic alcoholic, so I fit to my new surroundings well so all good.

I don't know if it was because I already had the correct meds in my chemical storage or what, but it's been three days and I only have a stiff back and slight pain at this point. What I find noteworthy is that I've NEVER heard of people getting lumbago because of something like, you know, grappling, you'd figure when people contort into weird positions with burly men and try to lift and power them into submission it would happen once in a while.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

When I tore my labrum in my right shoulder I could just feel the ache resonate while at rest. Actually boxing it was on fire during all punches. After 2 months if that I had to get it checked out. Then I tore my rotator cuff while missing a hook in left only sparring and I knew right away. Was a good year that one.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

KidDynamite posted:

When I tore my labrum in my right shoulder I could just feel the ache resonate while at rest. Actually boxing it was on fire during all punches. After 2 months if that I had to get it checked out. Then I tore my rotator cuff while missing a hook in left only sparring and I knew right away. Was a good year that one.

Grappling made my torn labrum feel better, but my God boxing with a hurt rotator cuff was torture. How long were you out with that?

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
So Mitch Coats visited my gym this past weekend to do a seminar and some private lessons, and I was really impressed by his ability as an instructor. He was friendly and polite, didn't waste any time dicking around, tailored his lessons to fit our individual strategies, and showed stuff that I've never seen before. If you guys ever get the opportunity to take a lesson with him, I would really recommend that you jump on it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I thought this was kind of cool. During the game against Kansas State last weekend one of the Iowa State special teams guys (who was a state champ wrestler in high school) threw a guy with Harai Goshi and also tackled a ballcarrier with a perfect double leg takedown.

https://vine.co/v/hIBpQWQXQLZ

YankeeAirPirate
Jun 3, 2006

"Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work."
e

YankeeAirPirate fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 29, 2014

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thoguh posted:

I thought this was kind of cool. During the game against Kansas State last weekend one of the Iowa State special teams guys (who was a state champ wrestler in high school) threw a guy with Harai Goshi and also tackled a ballcarrier with a perfect double leg takedown.

Haruki Nakamura former (poo poo) safety for Carolina judo tossed one of the new orlean's saints dudes a last year.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This Hungarian also forgot which martial art he was competing in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-HupDMLo4M
(Around 4 min mark).
For some reason that no one else can explain, he was not DQ's and only got a warning.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Thoguh posted:

yessss. I think thats a holding penalty if they catch it though...right?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

This Hungarian also forgot which martial art he was competing in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-HupDMLo4M
(Around 4 min mark).
For some reason that no one else can explain, he was not DQ's and only got a warning.

Still not the coolest vid I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzLb7VJr4ds

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BlindSite posted:

Still not the coolest vid I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzLb7VJr4ds

That's pretty impressive kick with all that armor on!.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That's pretty impressive kick with all that armor on!.

According to this dude http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529788#post411808458 in the medieval thread, he mentions knights had to be pretty darn ripped, they have to be able to jump onto a horse in armour unaided.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I love videos like these, here's another one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNwcw21NAdU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTnDkOAuwYs

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Griffin takes that fall pretty drat well.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have two questions that might be related but probably not.

I'm overweight and looking for suggestions as to a martial art to help me lose weight, I understand I think that broadly speaking that answer is "any". I've got this impression though that maybe people are better suited to what fits their body type. I'm broad shouldered with a low center of gravity (or well, I've been described as such by a dude who did a lot of karate and who am I to argue?) so maybe there's something there I should take a look at?

My second question is primarily research for a project I'm on. Is there a single or combination of martial arts that could be best described as involving being evasive (dodging, moving around), with a focus on counters and blocks for either kicks and strikes/punches? As opposed to initiating strikes and kicks?

Why they might be related is that the second question could influence the former, when I've gotten mad in the past I tended to do stupid things and maybe something that restrains my instincts to hey, don't do stupid poo poo might be worth checking into, but I figure most discipline oriented arts might do that anyways.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

I have two questions that might be related but probably not.

I'm overweight and looking for suggestions as to a martial art to help me lose weight, I understand I think that broadly speaking that answer is "any". I've got this impression though that maybe people are better suited to what fits their body type. I'm broad shouldered with a low center of gravity (or well, I've been described as such by a dude who did a lot of karate and who am I to argue?) so maybe there's something there I should take a look at?

My second question is primarily research for a project I'm on. Is there a single or combination of martial arts that could be best described as involving being evasive (dodging, moving around), with a focus on counters and blocks for either kicks and strikes/punches? As opposed to initiating strikes and kicks?

Why they might be related is that the second question could influence the former, when I've gotten mad in the past I tended to do stupid things and maybe something that restrains my instincts to hey, don't do stupid poo poo might be worth checking into, but I figure most discipline oriented arts might do that anyways.

When I first started BJJ in 2007 I was 270 lbs and within a year I was 190 lbs. And when I got back to training hard in July I was 250 and I'm currently 215.

My vote is BJJ for weight loss

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Raenir Salazar posted:

Try track and field if you want evasive and have anger issues. No one wants a big fat guy having a fit on them in training.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Novum posted:

Try track and field if you want evasive and have anger issues. No one wants a big fat guy having a fit on them in training.

As I said, its research for a project, anything else was an afterthought. Also I don't think its wise to do running/track with my weight as it is.

ch3cooh posted:

When I first started BJJ in 2007 I was 270 lbs and within a year I was 190 lbs. And when I got back to training hard in July I was 250 and I'm currently 215.

My vote is BJJ for weight loss

I'll look into this, though a part of me is a little disappointed at the lack of strikes/punching.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 10, 2013

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I can't speak for weight loss or combat effectiveness as I haven't studied it personally, but you could look at Aikido. It's based on countering strikes by moving with them. I understand that one thing to watch for is schools which may have a New Agey focus on positive energy and harmony as opposed to actually doing physical drills.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

As I said, its research for a project, anything else was an afterthought. Also I don't think its wise to do running/track with my weight as it is.

I'll look into this, though a part of me is a little disappointed at the lack of strikes/punching.

The only problem is, learning how to strike "for real" requires lots of hard sparring and unless you want to be a fighter I just dont think its worth it to take all those shots to the head.

Stick with BJJ, you can pressure test yourself without getting your rear end kicked.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Buried alive posted:

I can't speak for weight loss or combat effectiveness as I haven't studied it personally, but you could look at Aikido. It's based on countering strikes by moving with them. I understand that one thing to watch for is schools which may have a New Agey focus on positive energy and harmony as opposed to actually doing physical drills.

Aikido isn't going to get anyone into shape.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

What is your research project?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
How to Kill the Most Amount of People with the Least Amount of Effort: A Dissertation on Steven Seagal

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
So I go to a boxing gym 3x a week; it's anything from sparring to anaerobic circuit stuff to bag / pad work. My trainer thinks it's not necessary to lift weights and that I should restrict myself to cardio on off days.

Do you guys incorporate lifting into your weekly routines at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

origami posted:

What is your research project?

Game Studies school project about imperfectly balanced mechanics and their methodologies, not limited to but as an example First Order Optimal strategies.

• Locked thread