Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tut
Nov 4, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

I thought there was an issue with FF where Fox has to make a movie soon or they'll lose the rights?

I believe they have to be actively working on the property, which they are. They just replaced the screenwriter for like the third time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

tut posted:

I believe they have to be actively working on the property, which they are. They just replaced the screenwriter for like the third time.

I think you have to actually produce, otherwise you could just hold onto a property indefinitely by sticking an intern on a project and forgetting about it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Well, Thor 2 was a loving hoot and I greatly enjoyed it. About that last scene, though... I wonder what happened to Odin? Nothing good, I'd imagine, yet Loki was talking an awful lot of sense there. He didn't sound as insane as before. Complicated fuckin' Loki.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

tut posted:

Well that doesn't seem like a good sign. Christ I really want a proper big screen version of dr. doom and I am pretty confident that marvel studios could do him justice.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CapnAndy posted:

Well, Thor 2 was a loving hoot and I greatly enjoyed it. About that last scene, though... I wonder what happened to Odin? Nothing good, I'd imagine, yet Loki was talking an awful lot of sense there. He didn't sound as insane as before. Complicated fuckin' Loki.

I imagine Odin saw through the disguise when receiving the bad news and Loki somehow took him out before he could breathe a word of it. What a great moment, though.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Thor 2 was absolutely great. I liked it more than the first one, probably right up there with The Avengers. I'm pleased that they went over the top this time around and spent way more time in Asgard or other realms than Earth itself. As someone else mentioned, this film seemed less worried about whether people can relate to Asgard than the first one.

The lukewarm critical response is frustrating. Looking over the aggregate at rotten tomatoes, people seem to suggest its generic and more of the same. gently caress you movie critics, I've been waiting for movies like this my whole life.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Concerning the ending of Thor 2: Loki likely didn't kill Odin, but locked him up or something. I think we're going to see Loki get bored by ruling Asgard to get him back in action. Although I think that he'll eventually play the role Mephisto played when Marvel does the Infinity Gauntlet in Avengers 3, but wind up on the good side. But I would love to see a Loki movie too.

I've also stopped paying attention to critic reviews since Ebert died. They rarely line up with my own anymore.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, I kind of thought this was heads and above better than the first and way more interesting. The Dark Elves were a little weak though, would have kind of liked a little bit more on that end of things cause they were a little generic , evil evilist people ever.

I love the direction they've went with Thor and the extended Asgardian Universe and REalms thing. It's so drat interesting and a fantastic blend of science fiction and fantasy. This movie really drove that home.

I can see why people would think it wasn't as good but seriously, this movie and I said this before is basically Indian Jones in tone. It's a rollicking Fantasy Adventure. I mean it even has all the Indian Jones moments too! Like it's Indian Jones with Thor almost.

Of course The Asgardians have loving flying boats that shoot missiles, just everything was great

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 10, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Oh yeah, one more thing (first post-credits scene): I am head-over-heels at just how utterly bizarre they made the Collector and his weirdo menagerie. That they're willing to go so all-in on making the cosmic corners of the universe extremely odd bodes very well for Guardians of the Galaxy, I think.

And apparently the Tesseract wasn't the Cosmic Cube, but the Space Gem? ...okay, that's interesting.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, I kind of thought this was heads and above better than the first and way more interesting. The Dark Elves were a little weak though, would have kind of liked a little bit more on that end of things cause they were a little generic , evil evilist people ever.

I love the direction they've went with Thor and the extended Asgardian Universe and REalms thing. It's so drat interesting and a fantastic blend of science fiction and fantasy. This movie really drove that home.

I can see why people would think it wasn't as good but seriously, this movie and I said this before is basically Indian Jones in tone. It's a rollicking Fantasy Adventure. I mean it even has all the Indian Jones moments too! Like it's Indian Jones with Thor almost.

Of course The Asgardians have loving flying boats that shoot missiles, just everything was great

Indiana.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Oh yeah, one more thing (first post-credits scene): I am head-over-heels at just how utterly bizarre they made the Collector and his weirdo menagerie. That they're willing to go so all-in on making the cosmic corners of the universe extremely odd bodes very well for Guardians of the Galaxy, I think.

And apparently the Tesseract wasn't the Cosmic Cube, but the Space Gem? ...okay, that's interesting.

Oh yessssssssss. That was just beautiful and really drove home that this wasn't just a human with a weird haircut, but something totally alien. I also loved contrasting that full on pink chick with the Caucasian Blink from the DoFP preview.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Soonmot posted:

Oh yessssssssss. That was just beautiful and really drove home that this wasn't just a human with a weird haircut, but something totally alien. I also loved contrasting that full on pink chick with the Caucasian Blink from the DoFP preview.

First of all, the actress for Blink is Chinese, and there's shots from trailer analyses showing that she's pretty clearly purple.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
<--- I would be so happy if one of the two RAF pilots was this guy.

I would also accept Joey Chapman.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

404GoonNotFound posted:

First of all, the actress for Blink is Chinese, and there's shots from trailer analyses showing that she's pretty clearly purple.

Huh! Never would have known the from two second look I got in the trailer.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Codependent Poster posted:

Concerning the ending of Thor 2: Loki likely didn't kill Odin, but locked him up or something. I think we're going to see Loki get bored by ruling Asgard to get him back in action. Although I think that he'll eventually play the role Mephisto played when Marvel does the Infinity Gauntlet in Avengers 3, but wind up on the good side. But I would love to see a Loki movie too.

I've also stopped paying attention to critic reviews since Ebert died. They rarely line up with my own anymore.

I took a certain moment around when Odin gives his speech about fighting to the last drop of asgardian blood, he stops and looks weak for a moment almost like he's falling asleep. I took that to mean he was still fighting off the Odin sleep from the last movie and Loki could have helped it along magically or exhausted Odin into it in a fight. Or maybe long shot here, Odin went into it willingly after Loki explained Thanos and bringing the Avengers together to defend earth, the ruse is for Asgard's benefit because no one else would trust him.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 10, 2013

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

SirDan3k posted:

I took a certain moment around when Odin gives his speech about fighting to the last drop of asgardian blood, he stops and looks weak for a moment almost like he's falling asleep. I took that to mean he was still fighting off the Odin sleep from the last movie and Loki could have helped it along magically or exhausted Odin into it in a fight. Or maybe long shot here, Odin went into it willingly after Loki explained Thanos and bringing the Avengers together to defend earth, the ruse is for Asgard's benefit because no one else would trust him.

Alternative answer: Hopkins is old.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Monaghan posted:

Well that doesn't seem like a good sign. Christ I really want a proper big screen version of dr. doom and I am pretty confident that marvel studios could do him justice.

I was saying to my dad on the way home from the cinema last night, it's a real shame that Marvel Studios can't use either of their two biggest villains from the comics (Doom and Magneto, and also Galactus insofar as he's a villain) in their films.

I guess there's other options; Kang (played by Frank Langella basically reprising his Skeletor performance) could stand in for Doom, for example, and they could potentially use, say, Dormammu as a Galactus stand-in.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

Or it could be because losing a loved one, especially your partner I imagine, is rarely an energizing experience.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Sion posted:

Alternative answer: Hopkins is old.

Yeah exactly. Though I have to give it props as the best excuse for Hopkins sleepwalking his way through the films.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

DangerKat posted:

Saw Thor 2, loved it though the score felt lacking to me in places. The second post-credits scene was kind of lame until the very end and then it left me smiling.

Couple of other things that caught my eye:

1) A billboard in the background of the first London scenes asked "is your Journey a Mystery?" that made me :haw:

2) The crest in the center of Malekith's chestplate looked really similar to Captain Marvel's. I'm sure it's not related but I couldn't stop thinking about it.

There are easter eggs in the movie like 1. At the end of the final climax, there's a bus with something along the lines of "Moral Hero" on it right behind Thor as he begins to run in.

That pretty much convinced me that there are more of those on Earth that I missed because only seeing 2 makes me feel like there are more, or at least that there's a lot of little details worth checking.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I didn't see these until yesterday, but this is why we need more Hiddleston Loki. In everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeT12aR7nuI

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm surprised to see so many people liking Thor 2. Personally I think it's the worst Superhero movie since Captain America. My biggest problems have been mentioned before but going over them real quick

The villains were terribly one-dimensional and cartoonish. They're evil for the sake of being evil, with very little depth, not unlike the aliens in Avengers.
The constant slapstick that kept undermining the dramatic moments. When Thor is in an epic struggle against an evil semi-omnipotent demigod with the fate of reality at stake, cutting in with stupid jokes about Darcy manhandling her intern and Thor taking the subway completly ruins the atmosphere. Some jokes are welcome, too much of it just ruins it.
The lazy acting. Anthony Hopkins is to this movie what Marlon Brando was to Superman , and Thor had all the charisma of a potted plant, a big step down from his appearance in Thor 1 and Avengers. Portman did a decent job, but the only actor which actually shined was Hiddleston with Loki.

One thing that's bugging me alot that I haven't seen mentioned here was the very obvious fridging of Frigg. It's a textbook case of fridging even. They kill her off to create drama and pathos for Thor and Odin. Sure, they give her a token showing of resistance (as if to say "See? We're not sexist, She's badass!) but a fridging is still a fridging. Was I the only one to react to that?

Having said that, some of the jokes were funny, the cameo was hilarious and Hiddlestone absolutly stole the show. But overall, I feel very much "meh" about this movie.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

McCloud posted:

One thing that's bugging me alot that I haven't seen mentioned here was the very obvious fridging of Frigg. It's a textbook case of fridging even. They kill her off to create drama and pathos for Thor and Odin. Sure, they give her a token showing of resistance (as if to say "See? We're not sexist, She's badass!) but a fridging is still a fridging. Was I the only one to react to that?

Really? Are we to the point where female characters can't be killed off in a male superhero comic book/movie without sexism being invoked?

Deaths as a plot device to drive the hero are used ALL THE TIME. 80's action heroes were constantly tracking down villains that killed their brother. Killing family members to establish a hatred for the villain is painfully common. This movie didn't even make her death something that the villain intended. She was simply in the way and got killed for it.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 10, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I assumed Frigg got killed because Rene Russo probably didn't want to do any more movies

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't really get the complaints about Malekith being one dimensional, either. He wants what's best for his people at the cost of anyone else, the only really evil things he does are killing Frigga and sacrificing his people in the beginning, and even then the Kursed show that sacrifice is different in that culture
With some editing and a few extra scenes you could recut it to make him a good guy.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

DFu4ever posted:

Really? Are we to the point where female characters can't be killed off in a male superhero comic book/movie without sexism being invoked?

Deaths as a plot device to drive the hero are used ALL THE TIME. 80's action heroes were constantly tracking down villains that killed their brother. Killing family members to establish a hatred for the villain is painfully common. This movie didn't even make her death something that the villain intended. She was simply in the way and got killed for it.

More than that, she died stopping the villain from getting the weapon he needed to destroy the universe, which is a hero's death no matter how you slice it.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I hate to be 'that guy' but I didn't know there was two post credit scenes. I shoulda learned by now. Would a kind soul care to explain the second to me?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The dark elves aren't "evil," their existence is just antithetical to all other existence.

also, Frigg was badass.

DFu4ever posted:

No, it wouldn't have been fridging if no one had cared. If Frigg had been killed and Thor and Loki and Odin hadn't mentioned it or reacted at all, that would have been fine.

Rough Lobster posted:

I hate to be 'that guy' but I didn't know there was two post credit scenes. I shoulda learned by now. Would a kind soul care to explain the second to me?

Thor comes back, kisses Natalie Portman.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

DFu4ever posted:

That depends entirely on how they're killed off. If their sole purpose and function in a movie is to die, then I'd say so, yes.

DFu4ever posted:

Deaths as a plot device to drive the hero are used ALL THE TIME. 80's action heroes were constantly tracking down villains that killed their brother. Killing family members to establish a hatred for the villain is painfully common.

There is the issue of context that you're missing. Comic books have a very unfortunate history of murdering/raping women just for the sake of creating drama and conflict for the male hero. It's made even worse by the fact that her sole role in this movie was to be murdered and used as a plot device to get the two brothers to work together. Other than being murdered she doesn't really add anything to the movie. She exists only to provide drama fodder for Loki, Thor and Odin. If this was a comic book, I'd call this a textbook fridging.

DFu4ever posted:

This movie didn't even make her death something that the villain intended.

That doesn't matter. What matters is that the people who made the movie needed a way to unite Thor and Loki, and what they came up with was to murder their mother.[spoiler] It doesn't matter what the justification for it is, that's the solution they went with. They could have come up with another reason for them teaming up, but they went with the easy and imo lazy way.

DFu4ever posted:

She was simply in the way and got killed for it.

So was Alexander DeWitt. But hey, that was ok too because male heroes have had a hardon for avenging murdered family members since forever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rough Lobster posted:

Jane and crew sitting around the apartment, they hear thunder and the Bifrost opens up outside and Thor comes out. Jane runs out and they kiss. Not much but a nice little moment.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

So the Tesseract and the Ether were both Infinity Gems. Feige has said the Tesseract was the space gem, what was the Ether? Power, maybe Soul?

I think making the cosmic cube an Infinity Gem is actually an interesting approach. In the comics I never saw much of a clear distinction in what the Infinity Gauntlet could do that a Cosmic Cube couldn't. The gauntlet just seemed more difficult to obtain because it comes in 6 pieces. AIM has even been able to make their own bootleg cubes. Is there a difference that I'm unfamiliar with?.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Regarding the gems. I think there's a misunderstanding somewhere. It would be interesting to make the "gems" something else...maybe they'll be turned into gems somehow later. Red:Power, Blue:Mind, Yellow:Reality, Purple:Space, Orange:Time, Green:Soul.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this? posted:

Jane and crew sitting around the apartment, they hear thunder and the Bifrost opens up outside and Thor comes out. Jane runs out and they kiss. Not much but a nice little moment.

I actually laughed heavily at the (post credits scene #2) monster merrily running around trying to eat the birds.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gatts posted:

Regarding the gems. I think there's a misunderstanding somewhere. It would be interesting to make the "gems" something else...maybe they'll be turned into gems somehow later. Red:Power, Blue:Mind, Yellow:Reality, Purple:Space, Orange:Time, Green:Soul.

Well when Thor blasted the Ether it turned into shards of red crystal.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Gatts posted:

What misunderstanding? Odin says in the film that the Ether sometimes takes the form of a stone so it's already there.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Waterhaul posted:

What misunderstanding? Odin says in the film that the Ether sometimes takes the form of a stone so it's already there.

Oh really? I didn't recall hearing that. I'd kind of think it would be cool if Guardians of the Galaxy was a sort of race to collect artifacts/gems. Like a space Indiana Jones team up movie. Only by the end the warehouse they end up in is Thanos'. Heh.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

McCloud posted:

That depends entirely on how they're killed off. If their sole purpose and function in a movie is to die, then I'd say so, yes.

There is the issue of context that you're missing. Comic books have a very unfortunate history of murdering/raping women just for the sake of creating drama and conflict for the male hero. It's made even worse by the fact that her sole role in this movie was to be murdered and used as a plot device to get the two brothers to work together. Other than being murdered she doesn't really add anything to the movie. She exists only to provide drama fodder for Loki, Thor and Odin. If this was a comic book, I'd call this a textbook fridging.

But the problem with this whole 'fridging' argument is that it completely ignores the fact that secondary characters exist solely to create drama for the main character. This drama can manifest in various ways, including death. Frigga was not designed to die from the beginning of this series, as she was a character with a place in the setting. She's Thor's mother. In this film they decided to kill her off, which, as you said, served a specific purpose in the movie. Every death in a story serves a purpose, so the idea of calling out 'fridging' whenever a female character dies is ridiculous, because you have to then apply it to all female deaths, which makes it useless. A writer doesn't accidentally kill off any character. It always serves a dramatic purpose. Every significant action any character takes in a story serves a purpose.

Can you not see the flaw in the idea of 'fridging'? The only way you could avoid applying it to a female character's death is by justifying in your own mind that the writer had...I don't know...totally feminist intentions when writing the moment? I have no clue how you can legitimately use the term in any useful manner without applying it to every female death in the genre without being a huge hypocrite.

And on top of that, yes, I understand the concept of the damsel in distress in relation to male heroes. But just because that exists and was/is a heavily exploited trope doesn't mean you overcompensate to a ridiculous degree in order to avoid it. Hell, it isn't even a truly negative story trope to begin with, it was just extremely overused for a long time.

EDIT: This is one of those derails that makes me :ughh: when I realize I'm actively participating in it.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 10, 2013

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Dacap posted:

The gauntlet just seemed more difficult to obtain because it comes in 6 pieces. AIM has even been able to make their own bootleg cubes. Is there a difference that I'm unfamiliar with?.

It's a matter of scale.

With a cosmic cube you could duke it out with Galactus and maybe stand a chance of winning depending on how much he was jobbing and how powerful the cube is being shown to be.

With the Infinity Gauntlet you could beat every single cosmic entity in the MU simultaneously (and in fact Thanos did that in infinity Gauntlet).

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Waterhaul posted:

I kind of like the movie idea that the artifacts can have their forms changed. I'm curious to see what other artifacts make up the rest of the stones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

team overhead smash posted:

With the Infinity Gauntlet you could beat every single cosmic entity in the MU simultaneously (and in fact Thanos did that in infinity Gauntlet).

With one exception, I think; the Living Tribunal was able cancel their power and prevent them from being used in unison. :spergin:

• Locked thread