Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain
Just finished watching S5E5 of Atlantis ("Ghost in the Machine") and drat did that piss me off a little. They had 8 actual replicator minds there in Atlantis, 7 of them completely willing to do whatever was necessary to be given bodies. Hell, Elizabeth by then probably would have known everything they knew with her fancy new replicator mind.

The part that pissed me off was the fact that nobody, not McKay, Shepherd, Woolsey, Zelenka, nobody thought to say "Hey, co-operative machines that really need our help right now, before you get to make yourselves a flash new body, and now that you've uploaded schematics for wraith tech and such, how 'bout giving us a crash course on building ZPMs?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

alg posted:

As soon as I saw them flying the shuttle through the Stargate I said to myself, "Man, that thing is a tight squeeze." Then the next episode is about it getting stuck in the gate :coffee:

Not sure how I feel about Atlantis yet, at least compared to SG-1. The wraith look kinda dumb. Also apparently SGC hired a goon

Atlantis takes a bit to get off it's feet (once the team is complete it gets better) but it's very good. :)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just finished watching the second to last episode of SG-1 season five... Daniel...
:negative:

He'd better make a comeback later on, and reverse his ascension like that guy who took a fancy to Carter half a season back, dammit!

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain

Major Isoor posted:

Just finished watching the second to last episode of SG-1 season five... Daniel...
:negative:

He'd better make a comeback later on, and reverse his ascension like that guy who took a fancy to Carter half a season back, dammit!

I really wish I could be watching the series for the first time again. :allears:

This was exactly my reaction when I saw that episode.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
At least tell me his replacement (just saw the cover of season six featuring some new guy in Daniel's spot when looking at prices online, seeing as I'm not going to be able to go for long without watching more of this, after that episode) isn't crap, since that'll just be rubbing salt into the wound. It'll be like when O'Neill went on that undercover-ish operation against Maybourne's team of thieves, and was replaced by some other schmo for about half an episode - which was a long enough hiatus in my books! :D

EDIT: Oh god, it better not be like that other episode where Daniel was replaced by his former assistant (or whatever he was) who was completely incompetent... *shudder*

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 10, 2013

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain

Major Isoor posted:

At least tell me his replacement (just saw the cover of season six featuring some new guy in Daniel's spot when looking at prices online, seeing as I'm not going to be able to go for long without watching more of this, after that episode) isn't crap, since that'll just be rubbing salt into the wound. It'll be like when O'Neill went on that undercover-ish operation against Maybourne's team of thieves, and was replaced by some other schmo for about half an episode - which was a long enough hiatus in my books! :D

EDIT: Oh god, it better not be like that other episode where Daniel was replaced by his former assistant (or whatever he was) who was completely incompetent... *shudder*

His "replacement" I think is a good addition to the team. He's no Daniel, but I like him. And concerning Daniel:

You haven't seen the last of him.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Major Isoor posted:

Congrats for only finding this stuff out now. Wish i could watch them all again for the first time too.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I know it's old, but I'll spoiler tag this Daniel chat out of courtesy.

I've got a half-theory that it wasn't actually Daniel who comes back but some other ascended being imitating him. Which explains why he changes so much in the later seasons of the show. Although it is amusing to think that it is Daniel and when he descended and got a new body he chose to get some muscle upgrades and the like.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

River posted:

His "replacement" I think is a good addition to the team. He's no Daniel, but I like him. And concerning Daniel:

You haven't seen the last of him.

I braved the spoiler, and I'm glad I did - hopefully the next guy manages to fill the void! (and boy does he have big boots to fill, what with Daniel getting so many girlfriends and brushes with death! :D )

And thanks for that tag, Senor Tron - normally I'm sorely tempted to read whatever's hidden by spoiler tags, but I think I'll have to resist, with this!

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I wish I could watch Abyss for the first time again, its one of the best episodes in the entire show IMO.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Senor Tron posted:

I know it's old, but I'll spoiler tag this Daniel chat out of courtesy.

I've got a half-theory that it wasn't actually Daniel who comes back but some other ascended being imitating him. Which explains why he changes so much in the later seasons of the show. Although it is amusing to think that it is Daniel and when he descended and got a new body he chose to get some muscle upgrades and the like.

My response and some more Dan-Chat.
That's an interesting theory considering that the Ancient Ascended don't take too kindly to "interference with the lower levels of existence."

Also, on the subject of Ascension(Only read of you've watched all of SG1)
How is it possible that the Ori were able to ascend in the first place? I thought ascension took purity of spirit and wisdom and just general not being evil and all that? Then again, Anubis did it so I guess there are some loopholes that just never get explored in the series.

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain

Vietnamwees posted:

That's an interesting theory considering that the Ancient Ascended don't take too kindly to "interference with the lower levels of existence."

How is it possible that the Ori were able to ascend in the first place? I thought ascension took purity of spirit and wisdom and just general not being evil and all that? Then again, Anubis did it so I guess there are some loopholes that just never get explored in the series.

Funny, spoilering 5-10 year old spoilers, haha. Glad it's still picking up new fans!

Anubis ascended because he tricked an ascended being into thinking he was pure of spirit. But as proven in Atlantis("The Tau of Rodney"), ascension is purely a scientific process. That whole "release your burden" crap is just a way of preparing your brain chemically for the final steps.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Vietnamwees posted:

Yeah, but he deals directly with Oma, not the Others. I think it was explained at one point why.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Lol at Teal'c checking this chick's plumbing

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

twoot posted:

I wish I could watch Abyss for the first time again, its one of the best episodes in the entire show IMO.

It's my favorite too, they somehow manage to convey that Jack is going through some real dark poo poo. I know it's a series, but the aftereffects of Jack's time with Baal really should've left more of a mark on him.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Punch Card posted:

It's my favorite too, they somehow manage to convey that Jack is going through some real dark poo poo. I know it's a series, but the aftereffects of Jack's time with Baal really should've left more of a mark on him.

He's been through worse.

Themes
Feb 9, 2005
So I started watching this last month, I'd only ever seen a few episodes from each of the first couple of seasons. I'm about 15 minutes into Heroes Part 2 and what the poo poo.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, phew the replacement is Jonas - that was a good move really, as the team (especially Jack at this stage) already have a whole load of history between them, (namely Daniel's ascension/death, of course), which will certainly make things interesting!

I think at this point, my one regret is that I'm about to start a course, so I won't have nearly as much time to watch the escapades of SG-1 :D

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, phew the replacement is Jonas - that was a good move really, as the team (especially Jack at this stage) already have a whole load of history between them, (namely Daniel's ascension/death, of course), which will certainly make things interesting!

I think at this point, my one regret is that I'm about to start a course, so I won't have nearly as much time to watch the escapades of SG-1 :D

God drat, I envy you so much. :allears:

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

Major Isoor posted:

Take your time! Enjoy it! Please. I envy you!

I went through 10 seasons in one summer.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Vietnamwees posted:

The Ancients said you have to be pure of spirit and wise and blah blah blah to ascend, but the ancients are self absorbed assholes.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
:allears:
Wow, I watched 'Frozen' thinking it'd be a grand old romp where the viewers can get to know Jonas a little better, all going well...

...until Jack had to get a Tok'ra implanted into him. Then in the following episode everyone in a whole town was Gou'uld-ified, including Carter. Then after that episode Jack went through an excessive amount of torture.
:magical:

Goddamn, I kinda hope this level of intensity keeps up - but then again I don't, since if it did, by the end of this season alone everyone will either be dead or mere shadows of their former selves!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
(Firstly sorry about the DP, but I thought I might as well, since it's been over 24hrs)

So, I've got a quick question about the episode 'The Other Guys' (which I found hilarious - I love it when shows like this have an episode on the B Team): At the end where the scientist guy is daydreaming, did the (or 'do you think the' I suppose, since it may be purely up to speculation) daydream only encompass the ceremony at the end, or was the whole mission a fantasy? Since them being able to run around the ship (and empty a magazine into the walls) without encountering a single patrol DID seem a little too easy.

Either way, I hope those guys get another episode sometime! :D

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Major Isoor posted:

(Firstly sorry about the DP, but I thought I might as well, since it's been over 24hrs)

So, I've got a quick question about the episode 'The Other Guys' (which I found hilarious - I love it when shows like this have an episode on the B Team): At the end where the scientist guy is daydreaming, did the (or 'do you think the' I suppose, since it may be purely up to speculation) daydream only encompass the ceremony at the end, or was the whole mission a fantasy? Since them being able to run around the ship (and empty a magazine into the walls) without encountering a single patrol DID seem a little too easy.

It's confirmed in a later episode (the S6 finale 'Full Circle') that the mission did actually happen, so only that last scene was a daydream. (Not a huge spoiler for you but just in case.)

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

Major Isoor posted:

Such a great episode. Was really routing for that dude in both episodes; he just wanted to be cool like SG1!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

vandelay industries posted:

Such a great episode. Was really routing for that dude in both episodes; he just wanted to be cool like SG1!

I loved The Other Guys, but haaated Avenger 2.0; I think that character doesn't really stand up to repeat episodes, especially when it was just a dry SGC-centric one.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Hewlett posted:

I loved The Other Guys, but haaated Avenger 2.0; I think that character doesn't really stand up to repeat episodes, especially when it was just a dry SGC-centric one.

True. (I didn't really like The Other Guys either, but it wasn't horrible). Avenger 2.0 does at least have a good payoff down the line, though.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Why have I started watching SG1 from the beginning? Why is it on amazon prime? Why does Danial's father look like such a douche? Also holly poo poo did fox gently caress up the airing order for the first season, or did amazon? I never noticed it the first time through on cable.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The first 5 seasons were on Showtime.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My Fox affiliate did air the re-runs in no particular order. I remember before the DVD sets came out I could watch one episode every day on Fox and then switch to SciFi on Fridays and watch like 4 additional episodes.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Freddy posted:

Why have I started watching SG1 from the beginning? Why is it on amazon prime? Why does Danial's father look like such a douche? Also holly poo poo did fox gently caress up the airing order for the first season, or did amazon? I never noticed it the first time through on cable.

I'm definitely enjoying my Stargate on Amazone Prime too. I'm pretty sure Amazon has the order right.

The look of Daniel's parents is pretty :effort: in that they basically made the parents look exactly like him They're even archaeologists! I'm a bit curious as to who took care of Daniel after his parents....accident though.

Totally forgot how much season 1 tries to wrap up/add to everyone's backgrounds.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, I loved when SciFi played 4 SG1s a day. I'd watch all 4, go to work, come home sleep, rinse and repeat.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
I am thrilled beyond words (well, almost beyond words) that, years after leaving the air, there is enough interest in SG1 and Atlantis to keep this thread so active.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Effingham posted:

I am thrilled beyond words (well, almost beyond words) that, years after leaving the air, there is enough interest in SG1 and Atlantis to keep this thread so active.

Firefly has 14 episodes and one film and I'm pretty sure it could sustain it's own thread.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Man, I loved when SciFi played 4 SG1s a day. I'd watch all 4, go to work, come home sleep, rinse and repeat.

Stargate Mondays on SciFi was the poo poo. I think they burned through 6-7 episodes in one evening every Monday.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

cochise posted:

Stargate Mondays on SciFi was the poo poo. I think they burned through 6-7 episodes in one evening every Monday.

They did not. You both are thinking of the same Monday night block of 4 episodes Sci-Fi did around season 6 when they acquired the rights to the show.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I can't wait for Atlantis to pick up. I just watched a dreadful episode where Shephard went on a picnic with a hot ancient.

Edit: of course the next episode is Weir traveling back in time as an old lady to meet herself :getin:

alg fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 2, 2013

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Join Freestyle Cyclists and help repeal Australia's unjustified Helmet laws.

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.

alg posted:

I can't wait for Atlantis to pick up. I just watched a dreadful episode where Shephard went on a picnic with a hot ancient.

Edit: of course the next episode is Weir traveling back in time as an old lady to meet herself :getin:

Boring maybe... but Leonor Varela :heysexy:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I still can't get over the fact that they cast him and never had him sing. A first prime breaking into showtunes would have been a series highlight.