Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

It didn't come off like that. :shrug: They even talked a bit about why they've been more focused on CK and EU over the other games, and about Vicky's relatively low sales.

Was it at least profitable? I really like the Victoria games and I'm totally amped for a third game with the better modding options of CK2 and EU4, especially regarding map editing. I think the key for a third Vicky game is that it will have to be incredibly easy to mod, even going so far as total conversions for medieval or sci-fi scenarios. Vicky 2 fell a bit flat for me because there simply wasn't a lot of mods for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Huh, Paradox really has an eye for details. Just found this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gar%C3%B0ar_Svavarsson

Not really, considering Garđar was never a permanent settler (The wikilink even says so), only staying for a winter. The other Icelandic count, Ingólfur, is the actual first permanent settler, though I find it kind of funny how Paradox decided to give him the Dynasty name Naddođur (Naddođur being the first (Norse) man to discover Iceland, and incidentally one of the first settlers of the Faroe islands. Him and Ingólfur apparently have no other connection).

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
Looking to reinstall CK2 but I'm wondering what the state of the mods is. I want to run it on my Macbook Air, this worked perfectly with the performance mod last year(the flat map/no 3d junk one). I see that the performance mod hasn't been updated lately, does it still work with the latest CK2?

Secondly I see that there's a continuation of CK2+. Any opinions about it? I'd like to use it. I'm guessing that the extra large map doesn't have a 2d version, is it optional?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sil posted:

Looking to reinstall CK2 but I'm wondering what the state of the mods is. I want to run it on my Macbook Air, this worked perfectly with the performance mod last year(the flat map/no 3d junk one). I see that the performance mod hasn't been updated lately, does it still work with the latest CK2?

Secondly I see that there's a continuation of CK2+. Any opinions about it? I'd like to use it. I'm guessing that the extra large map doesn't have a 2d version, is it optional?

CK2+ continuation is cool and good, I don't play without it. I've been playing recently with CK2+ and VIET events but I'll probably drop VIET for my next game, it's not very good.

And I'd recommend playing in Windows using bootcamp- on my MacBook Pro CK2 performance is much much better in windows than it is in Mac OS.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

marktheando posted:

CK2+ continuation is cool and good, I don't play without it. I've been playing recently with CK2+ and VIET events but I'll probably drop VIET for my next game, it's not very good.

And I'd recommend playing in Windows using bootcamp- on my MacBook Pro CK2 performance is much much better in windows than it is in Mac OS.

I tried it with Windows on the MBA in a dual boot situation and it was trash. With the 2d map it plays flawlessly in Mac OS. Worst case scenario I'll just 2dize the CK2plus map.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Sil posted:

If the performance mod is just a flat map then it should still work, since the map hasn't changed since they extended Africa with... SOI? They did add a new province with The Republic, but they did that by splitting an old province in two.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

marktheando posted:

There's also a new dev diary for the Game of Thrones mod, they think release by December with Essos.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
So I'm playing my first Norse game as Fairhair. My eldest and third-eldest son went off to join the Varangian Guard. My first son came back gay, blind, and castrated, whiled my third son was stressed, depressed, and so shell-shocked that he wouldn't speak to anyone. :stare: Talk about a hell of a gamble.

I'm running Elective (my first time doing so), so I swapped my heir from my eldest son to his quick, Brilliant Strategist younger brother. However, my eldest son's son (he had him before he left) is the current king of Denmark. Can you nominate your nephew as heir, or is it only your own children?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I started a new game and within a couple of decades the Hungarians have reformed Tengri and formed the Hungarian Empire. It snakes east to the edge of the map and they're currently pushing south, crushing Bulgarians and Byzantines left and right.

As a Russian Slavic pagan, how worried should I be about this?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bishop Rodan posted:

So I'm playing my first Norse game as Fairhair. My eldest and third-eldest son went off to join the Varangian Guard. My first son came back gay, blind, and castrated, whiled my third son was stressed, depressed, and so shell-shocked that he wouldn't speak to anyone. :stare: Talk about a hell of a gamble.

I'm running Elective (my first time doing so), so I swapped my heir from my eldest son to his quick, Brilliant Strategist younger brother. However, my eldest son's son (he had him before he left) is the current king of Denmark. Can you nominate your nephew as heir, or is it only your own children?

You can nominate your children and electors, so your nephew should be eligible.

Edit: Possibly your brothers too. I haven't run Elective in a while.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Actually, I don't think you can nominate the kids of still-living relatives, but well, there's a way to fix that.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bishop Rodan posted:

You can nominate your siblings, dynastic parent, children, and grandchildren. You can also nominate any elector or any landed noble of your dynasty who holds territory in the de facto area of the title in question.

Give your nephew a county and you can nominate him.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Cease to Hope posted:

You can nominate your siblings, dynastic parent, children, and grandchildren.
I think grandchildren are only eligible if the intermediary child is dead.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is the most recent version of CK2+ still linked from the OP? The OP claims it'll no longer be updated after Old Gods.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bishop Rodan posted:

I have not played for a while but I think I remember it being that you can only nominate grandchildren if they are landed inside your realm. Your best bet is nominate the guy whose child is the King of Denmark and find a way to die quickly.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Arcturas posted:

Is the most recent version of CK2+ still linked from the OP? The OP claims it'll no longer be updated after Old Gods.

The OP hasn't been updated in ages here.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Rumda posted:

The OP hasn't been updated in ages here.

Thanks. Now to figure out how to install mods. (I'm sure it's straightforward, just haven't done it before)

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Arcturas posted:

Thanks. Now to figure out how to install mods. (I'm sure it's straightforward, just haven't done it before)

Place the mod folder and mod file in your Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod folder. Just select the mod you want in the launcher and you should be good to go.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Oh, Denmark isn't in your realm yet? I thought we were discussing a situation where you were Emperor of Scandinavia, my bad. You can do two things: nominate your eldest son despite his shortcomings, or nominate one of the King of Denmark's brothers after landing him to make him eligible. From either of those two characters you could nominate the character you want and unite Denmark with your realm.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Just noticed this dude hanging out in my empire

A virgin birth by the father? That's a new one for me

He's a bastard and possessed and his dad is slow if that means anything

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

TheBlackRoija posted:

Just noticed this dude hanging out in my empire

A virgin birth by the father? That's a new one for me

He's a bastard and possessed and his dad is slow if that means anything
There's an event for an unmarried son messing around with a maid that can result in the bastard child being adopted.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
I figured it was something like that.

Anyway, an actual question: What duchies make good republics? I've never actually played one so I'm not sure.
In my latest game I set up crete, cyprus, mallorca, cherson and orkney as republics in addition to genoa and venice. For whatever reason though orkney has not made a single trade post despite being a republic a lot longer than some of the other ones. They're still making a ton of money somehow however.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

TheBlackRoija posted:

Anyway, an actual question: What duchies make good republics? I've never actually played one so I'm not sure.
In my latest game I set up crete, cyprus, mallorca, cherson and orkney as republics in addition to genoa and venice. For whatever reason though orkney has not made a single trade post despite being a republic a lot longer than some of the other ones. They're still making a ton of money somehow however.

The Duchy's capitol must have trade practices tech at level 2 or higher to establish trade posts, but before that they upgrade their city holdings which bring in a lot of dough. I'd say the strongest duchies for this would be Sicily, Tunis, Granada, Alexandria, Thracia, or Crete in no particular order.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

TheBlackRoija posted:

For whatever reason though orkney has not made a single trade post despite being a republic a lot longer than some of the other ones. They're still making a ton of money somehow however.

You need Trade Practices tech at 2 to build trade posts in a republic, and since Orkney is in the rear end-end of nowhere it's likely that they don't have it and therefore can't build any.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TheBlackRoija posted:

Just about anywhere with a capital that can have at least 6 holdings is good IMO, especially if there are nearby rich coastal provinces. London (Essex) is one of my favorite; as Doge I just hold the entire province, giving me tons of gold and levies from a single spot. Rome (Latium) is also a good one for a republic, but it has more church holdings than London.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
What's it take to form the Holy Roman Empire? In my current game from the Old Gods start, a bunch of Karlings died slipping on banana peels or something which left Burgundy controlling most of the Karling lands. They formed the Empire of Francia which collapses every decade or so and then comes back together, usually splitting into Burgundy and West Francia when it happens.

But in this last split, a tiny Holy Roman Empire popped up. The Emperor holds the title for the Kingdom of Lothgaria and 1 county. He only controls about 1/2 of the de jure kingdom.

So now I have a scrappy lil Holy Roman Empire duking it out. I'm actually rooting for them for once.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Brittany is also a really good candidate for merchant republic in my experience.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
The people that handle the paradox forums account system are literally the dumbest people that have ever barfed html into a browser.

Leave aside the idiocy of how they implemented Facebook logins in the first place(the button sometimes showed sometimes you had to input your facebook name and... some password? certainly it didn't work with your FB password and they never emailed me a password the first time I did FB login). I have migrated my Firstname Lastname account to an email based Paradox account. I have linked them as instructed and even successfully logged in with the Paradox account. Once.

I now try to log in with it again and I get redirected to the "Link your old account to a new Paradox account page" Ok. I do that. I get notified that my account has already been linked and that I need to log in with my Paradox account by pressing the big button on the top of the page.

I press the big button on the top of the page(again) and I get redirected to the "Link your old account to a new Para...." are you loving kidding me? Rinse and repeat, reset password from the only spot that seems to allow it, try every combo of new/old account name and new/old password nothing works. Fml. Or more precisely gently caress the paradox web dev team/dude/someone's pet siamese cat.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I got my son married to the pope's bastard daughter just as the pope died :smith:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
So, actually crusading in Crusader Kings is weird. Catholics weren't exactly having a good century, what with Catharism spreading early and now a lot of England deciding that Fraticelli was the new hip thing. I decided to do something about that and hey, Crusader is a pretty sweet trait for a budding kingdom that I hope will become an empire. I'll throw some guys around down there and hopefully snake some prestige and piety while I'm at it.

Suddenly, 47/9 holdings and I'm the king of Muslim Target #1. No one else showed up to the party, apparently. I'm up to 9000 prestige and 3000 piety and what in the hell was the rest of the world doing. My second landing force was all of 8k guys.

This is the part where I get completely destroyed, isn't it?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Best thing about CK2+ was the option to install a distant relative (generate a random male person of your dynasty) in lands newly conquered by crusading. It totally fubar'd the dynasty tree view unless you manually edited the save and attached him to some part of the tree yourself but other than that it was my favorite feature ever.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Sheep posted:

Best thing about CK2+ was the option to install a distant relative (generate a random male person of your dynasty) in lands newly conquered by crusading. It totally fubar'd the dynasty tree view unless you manually edited the save and attached him to some part of the tree yourself but other than that it was my favorite feature ever.
How is that different from just picking a random cousin or cadet son and handing him the king title (+ granting independence, if you're an emperor)?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Boing posted:

I got my son married to the pope's bastard daughter just as the pope died :smith:

That'd be the best teen romantic comedy ever

"Look son I'm the pope. If you do anything, ANYTHING to hurt my baby girl? I WILL excommunicate you"

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

How is that different from just picking a random cousin or cadet son and handing him the king title (+ granting independence, if you're an emperor)?

You don't have to track down a random cousin or cadet son.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Sheep posted:

I recall that Wiz actually fixed that so it wouldn't break the dynasty tree view (because now it goes and picks a distant male relative that actually exists for you to give the title to).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm just getting back into CK2 after not playing it for a year. I saw that Wiz stopped updating CK2+; is the continuation project for it still the thing to use? Or is there a different mod now (or do people just play vanilla now)?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Koramei posted:

I'm just getting back into CK2 after not playing it for a year. I saw that Wiz stopped updating CK2+; is the continuation project for it still the thing to use? Or is there a different mod now (or do people just play vanilla now)?

The Continuation Project's the one that basically carries on CK2+, so go for that if you want to go down that route.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Koramei posted:

CK2+ Continuation is basically the same as always, just with some new neat features. It's still the thing to use for sure.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

What exactly is it that determines nicknames? I've seen some general correlations; people who fulfill the "Become exalted among men" ambition tend to get The Great as a nickname, but sometimes it seems random. I once saw a ten-year old designated The Great, which puts Obama's Nobel Prize to shame in terms of premature adulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

DStecks posted:

What exactly is it that determines nicknames?

http://ckiiwiki.com/Nicknames

• Locked thread