Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Could you guys please make/go to another thread to talk about Erfworld? The only thing it really has in common with OotS is that it's a fantasy webcomic linked from the same website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

No one needs to make a thread about Erfworld. But point taken.

How would the rules work regarding Roy disrupting that guy's Horrid Wilting? All I know of D&D combat is from Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, where you actually have to sit there for a minute to cast a spell. But I thought in tabletop D&D, everyone just played out their own turn in sequence.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

If you're in melee and they're not defensive casting you get a free attack on them that can potentially disrupt casting.

Alternatively if you win intiative you can ready an action to go off later than it normally would when some condition happens. In this case it might be "I hit Miron with a sword as soon as he tries to cast anything".

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Phenotype posted:

How would the rules work regarding Roy disrupting that guy's Horrid Wilting? All I know of D&D combat is from Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, where you actually have to sit there for a minute to cast a spell. But I thought in tabletop D&D, everyone just played out their own turn in sequence.

If you take damage while casting a spell, you need to make a concentration check to let the spell go off. The turn in D&D is a sequence but it's all supposed to be happening semi-simultaneously. A full round, once everyone has their turn in the initiative, is 6 seconds actual time.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Anyone can hold an action, though. I suspect the feat that Roy learned from his grandfather either does bonus damage to spellcasters you interrupt or adds to the Concentration check the caster has to make to try and get the spell cast despite being hit.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, from what (little) we've seen so far, it looks like it lets him ignore defensive casting, and then makes the caster's concentration check either impossible or a lot harder. At least, that'd probably be the easiest way to template it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
^^^^^^
Argh!

It could also prevent casters from casting defensively around him, allowing him to make an Attack of Opportunity against adjacent casters no matter what.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Who What Now posted:

^^^^^^
Argh!

It could also prevent casters from casting defensively around him, allowing him to make an Attack of Opportunity against adjacent casters no matter what.

There's a feat called Mage Slayer that does exactly that. Since you can't turn it off by a naive reading of the feat, the character I had with it got a lot of panicked reactions wandering around a Wizard college once.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
The first time he actually used it he ran through what his grandpa told him, he said something like "visualize the magical energies flowing around the caster" or something like that, and something about the apex of the spell maybe. I think he's literally just cutting the spell in half before they can finish casting it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Usually when someone asks if Rich is okay it summons a new comic within a couple of days, but still nothing.

It may be time to break out the Goblins :ohdear:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Wolfsheim posted:

It may be time to break out the Goblins :ohdear:
No, you fool!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Calm down, everyone. :ducksiren: New Comic, #929: Through :ducksiren:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So did Tarquin knock Durkin out of that dispel or did he lose his protection from sunlight? As to the rest, drat, just drat.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Oops. Well that's a problem.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh.

That...

Was not what I was expecting!

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Holy poo poo. Never count Tarquin out. Although I don't think Elan has ever felt closer to Roy.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Durkola could be pretty screwed right now. As we witnessed with Malack, vampires caught in sunlight don't get a lot of time to save themselves in, and D just blew his standard action failing to renew the spell.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
With his own sword, too. Christ, what a dick.

I'm guessing that it's gonna be dusk soon, which leaves Durkon to murder the gently caress out of some psion lady.

EDIT: The sky is even darker than the last strip. Any moment now. :ohdear:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I can't help but notice that Haley wasn't one of the people explicitly disabled in this scene. Her boyfriend and her leader-pal both just got stabbed and I'm pretty sure that gives her a +20 circumstance bonus to wrecking someone's poo poo.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man. I haven't seen someone so willing to cut off their own nose to spite their face like this in fiction in a long while.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Holy poo poo, just mentioning Goblins worked!

And nice fake out with Belkar, too.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

So I can't help but notice that Haley wasn't one of the people explicitly disabled in this scene. Her boyfriend and her leader-pal both just got stabbed and I'm pretty sure that gives her a +20 circumstance bonus to wrecking someone's poo poo.

From Tarquin's standpoint, she's just the girlfriend. You'll recall that he considers his wives, and most women in general based on that Drow story a while back, to be pretty disposable. I suspect that little blindspot is about to Sneak Attack poor Laurin into next week, with Crystal's girl-slaying sword no less, to free up V and Durkula.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
V still has a habit of not listening to her familiar, I see.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Brannock posted:

V still has a habit of not listening to her familiar, I see.

V could have been dazed by Laurin's attack, which prevents a character from taking any actions on their turn.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Ouch, with Roy's sword too. That's like, super symbolic or something. I'm not sure exactly symbolic of what, just overall symbolic.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
So 928 was "Go," 929 is "Through." Will we get "The" and "Gate?" :)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Luckily for Durkon it is now dusk.

Jesus Christ with that gate. No one is going through that gate! They are miles away from the gate!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kajeesus posted:

greatn posted:

Luckily for Durkon it is now dusk.

Jesus Christ with that gate. No one is going through that gate! They are miles away from the gate!

Unless the sun works differently in D&D I doubt it will set in the 6 or so seconds that Durkula has left. But I guess a cast of "accelerate sunset" could do it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

trucutru posted:

Unless the sun works differently in D&D I doubt it will set in the 6 or so seconds that Durkula has left. But I guess a cast of "accelerate sunset" could do it.

I think it is already dusk. As in not enough sunlight to kill him anymore. May not be the letter of the law, but creative license and all that, there is very little sun now.

I know in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, for example, vampires can go outside when the sky is orange like that, Spike does it a few times.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
No, he's pretty definitely smoldering in panel 5.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ouch. Didn't Nale stab Elan right through the chest like that the first time, too? Albeit from behind.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kajeesus posted:

With his own sword, too. Christ, what a dick.

I'm guessing that it's gonna be dusk soon, which leaves Durkon to murder the gently caress out of some psion lady.

Durkula needs a whole hour to get spells back, but he might be safe from exploding from sunlight.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I think the rule is vampires are harmed by direct sunlight, so if the disc of the sun dips below the horizon then Durkula will be okay (from sun related deaths at least) even if there is still light.

Of course plot-wise I'm fairly sure Durkula will make it out of this alive undead because it's too boring to totally kill him now. Plus the prophecy thing. Roy should make it out too for the same reason. I don't want to spend another hundred plus strips with Roy in the afterlife again.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

XkyRauh posted:

So 928 was "Go," 929 is "Through." Will we get "The" and "Gate?" :)

I can only imagine it is something like this. Only question is, since both this and last strip managed to line up with what was occurring, will they manage to keep up the naming convention ("The" will be quite tricky.) Its possible that we'll just get "it" next update and that will be that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cliff Racer posted:

I can only imagine it is something like this. Only question is, since both this and last strip managed to line up with what was occurring, will they manage to keep up the naming convention ("The" will be quite tricky.) Its possible that we'll just get "it" next update and that will be that.

OOTS DOWN OVER WSTRN CNTNT

(breaking bad reference)

Holy crap this has been an intense arc. If he manages to top this then I'll be surprised; he's racking through the subplots. Then again surprising people is kinda Rich's bag.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 11, 2013

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Those of you talking about D&D time and turns, Tarquin just took 3 uninterrupted standard actions, soooo...

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

Those of you talking about D&D time and turns, Tarquin just took 3 uninterrupted standard actions, soooo...

Maybe they're still dazed from the spell?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'd say whipping V into Durkon was one standard action, some combat maneuver, Then stabbing Elan and Roy was another round, but that'd still leave another standard action in kicking Belkar.

Do yeah he basically does whatever.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Eh.

Turn 1: He whips V, Durkon and Laurin take their actions, the rest of the team are still stunned from Laurin's blast thing.

Turn 2: He kicks Belkar. Durkon and Laurin probably whip wrestle off panal. Elan probably shakes off the stun but can't do anything useful so he wastes his turn body shielding Roy. Rest of the team is still dazed.

Turn 3: He stabs them. Roy is still clearly dazed by the swirly thing over his head so the others probably are too.

I think most of the Order was just out of action, giving Tarquin free reign to take a bunch of turns in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

greatn posted:

I'd say whipping V into Durkon was one standard action, some combat maneuver, Then stabbing Elan and Roy was another round, but that'd still leave another standard action in kicking Belkar.

Do yeah he basically does whatever.

Or he has a Belt of Battle, one of the most common magic items on a savvy player's buy list. It gives extra actions per day, costing various number of charges by type.