Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thevortex-
Apr 12, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

So if any of you guys run a modded server, you know what it's like to have your TPS tank and not know why.

Well, those days are over. Check this mod out:
http://profmobius.blogspot.fr/

In game profiler with map gui interface and the ability to teleport to tile entities causing the problems. Also handles chunkloading and other things.

thanks much, a couple of players on my server need to be shown the impact they are having, this will be great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
So I recently added a bunch more ram to my computer which so far has basically crushed any and all problems I've had with playing modded minecraft.

Except one.

For some reason I can load as many mods as I want (Got up to like 85 most recently) with few to no problems. However if one of those mods is ever Natura or Biomes O Plenty, suddenly my CPU usage skyrockets and the game becomes unplayable.

And it's only ever those two mods too. Even if I cut out a bunch of the other mods, the moment I add in one of those, my framerate tanks the moment I load a map until the game crashes.

Any idea what could be causing this? I know I have a fairly old computer but without those mods everything runs perfectly.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

Shadowmorn posted:

This mod needs a name, may i suggest Enginecraft? Powercraft? NetherStarCraft? Gotta jam a Craft in there somewhere or its not a real mod! :argh:

Right now I'm thinking Weird Science. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Limerick posted:

No, thats perfect.

StevenRS11
May 5, 2013

axelsoar posted:

Regardless of how I fiddle with it, the version of DimDoors in Toast will always have rifts spreading like mad regardless of the config file.

I keep having to go into the same spot and wave a rift remover around in creative for 10 minutes every so often.

That's one of the main reasons that I had to rewrite DD actually. It was one symptom of a much larger problem- that rifts could spread between dimensions if they spread at the right time. Rifts in one dim could actually spread into another, but the rift remover can't get all of them. A rifts internal location dim could be different than the dim it was actually in. The new version makes this actually impossible.

Try this- when they return, remove them with a rift remover, and then place a dim door to a pocket dim nearby, and enter it. Return to the overworld, and then when you TP back, remove the rifts that reappeared.

If that doesn't work, then you can do one of the following-

Place either FoR blocks on the rifts, iron blocks, or (I think) obsidian.

/dd-delete_rifts That command will delete all rifts in the dimension you call it I'm that are not under a door.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Limerick posted:

I have no idea how feasable this is but if you're genuinely going to do this can I throw in a little suggestion?
For an Engine that runs on LiquidXP/MobEssence/Monsterjuice can you make it so little green ghosts puff out of the engine instead of smoke?
That'd be fab.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I have no idea how feasable this is but if you're genuinely going to do this can I throw in a little suggestion?
For an Engine that runs on LiquidXP/MobEssence/Monsterjuice can you make it so little green ghosts puff out of the engine instead of smoke?
That'd be fab.

So basically the same thing that forestry apiaries do, just with ghosts instead of BEES?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Not having to deal with anything forestry is always a plus.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

senae posted:

So basically the same thing that forestry apiaries do, just with ghosts instead of BEES?

Yep. Those would be the cutest soul harvesting engines ever. Fuelling industry with the souls of the damned! woo.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

RaspberryCommie posted:

So I recently added a bunch more ram to my computer which so far has basically crushed any and all problems I've had with playing modded minecraft.

Except one.

For some reason I can load as many mods as I want (Got up to like 85 most recently) with few to no problems. However if one of those mods is ever Natura or Biomes O Plenty, suddenly my CPU usage skyrockets and the game becomes unplayable.

And it's only ever those two mods too. Even if I cut out a bunch of the other mods, the moment I add in one of those, my framerate tanks the moment I load a map until the game crashes.

Any idea what could be causing this? I know I have a fairly old computer but without those mods everything runs perfectly.

Its called world gen that is why your fps is tanking hard, both of those mods gently caress with world gen and make it better but more cpu intensive, try a permgen option when you boot up your world and try this. https://sites.google.com/site/minecraftlandgenerator/

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

wargames posted:

Its called world gen that is why your fps is tanking hard, both of those mods gently caress with world gen and make it better but more cpu intensive, try a permgen option when you boot up your world and try this. https://sites.google.com/site/minecraftlandgenerator/

Are you sure? Cause it does it even when I generate a superflat world for mod/build testing.

Edit: Also that generator thing seems to be just for 1.5.2 I'm using 1.6.4 now.

RaspberryCommie fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 10, 2013

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

RaspberryCommie posted:

Are you sure? Cause it does it even when I generate a superflat world for mod/build testing.

Can't hurt to try it out.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
Any goons interested in making mods in Scala (as I like to call it, 'better java' - some prefer to call it 'more complicated java' though)?

Sunstrike (mDiyo's second-in-command for Tinker's Construct) has whipped up a quick tutorial to get a Minecraft workspace set up with IntelliJIDEA and Scala:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1czawrslfdm34d0/ScalaGuidebook.pdf

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

RaspberryCommie posted:

Edit: Also that generator thing seems to be just for 1.5.2 I'm using 1.6.4 now.

Depending on how minecraft handles world gen, yes. Just because it's not generating anything with the code/modded code doesn't mean it's not having to call and use that code.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

wargames posted:

Can this be set up to run as a modded server and generate modded land? It seems like it might but I figured I would ask and save myself time if it's only vanilla. This would be perfect if it can pregenerate modded terrain.

Edit: Yes, yes it can :holy:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 10, 2013

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Speaking of crazy engines, the new Factorization has one that might apply:

quote:

Caliometric Burner, a new power source:
Place next to a water boiler. Note that multiple burners can be next to a boiler
Uses food to make steam. Higher quality food makes more steam.
More than one burner can be next to a boiler
Right-click with food to feed it; food can also be fed through the sides.
A redstone signal will disable digestion.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Limerick posted:

Lunar Generator. When exposed to night sky, generates power based on how full the moon is.
Enchantment Engine. Insert enchanted (vanilla, so as to avoid things like meteor armor) items and it strips the enchantments, increases its "fuel" meter, and generates power over time burning it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Clairetic posted:

Any goons interested in making mods in Scala (as I like to call it, 'better java' - some prefer to call it 'more complicated java' though)?

Sunstrike (mDiyo's second-in-command for Tinker's Construct) has whipped up a quick tutorial to get a Minecraft workspace set up with IntelliJIDEA and Scala:

:swoon: I dont understand some of this, but more resources are good.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

McFrugal posted:

Lunar Generator. When exposed to night sky, generates power based on how full the moon is.
Enchantment Engine. Insert enchanted (vanilla, so as to avoid things like meteor armor) items and it strips the enchantments, increases its "fuel" meter, and generates power over time burning it.

Real talk: I'd kill for a lunar generator.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Falcon2001 posted:

Real talk: I'd kill for a lunar generator.

Could call it a tidal generator, or something.

Place it in water, and then it generates power based on the moon phase.

Also could go for something more silly. Would it be possible to make like a cow/horse/whatever livestock treadmill generator? Dangle a carrot in front of them and let it go.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

That'd be fab.
I like this idea. Experience powered generators might be a bad idea on some balance / lag level since everybody will end up with bullshit enormous mob farms fueling infinite energy banks, but there are things that can be done about that. My idea is to have multiple soul engines interfere with eachother, such that if two active ones are too close together, it causes fun (now: explosions. When I'm better at this modding thing: mob spawns and also explosions? I don't know).

Little green ghostie particles would be fantastic. :3:

McFrugal posted:

I'm loving both of these, especially the Enchantment Engine - as an Infernal Mobs user it would be great to have something to do with all of this poo poo.

RaspberryCommie posted:

Also could go for something more silly. Would it be possible to make like a cow/horse/whatever livestock treadmill generator? Dangle a carrot in front of them and let it go.

Hamster mobs in wheels that escape as hostile "Starving Hamster" mobs if not fed regularly.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Limerick posted:

Hamster mobs in wheels that escape as hostile "Starving Hamster" mobs if not fed regularly.

Oh my god, yes, I love this! Little hamster mobs found in grasslands/scrublands/deserts that you can trap and put in engines to produce steady amounts of power. Feeding them grain/seeds makes them produce a little extra burst of power, and if you don't feed them for a really long time they break out and annoy you. Then you can have glass cages and tubes you can put extra hamsters into, or maybe even tubes that run into the cages so tired hamsters can take a break.

The most adorable form of power generation. :3:

e: You can also have a stupidly complicated hamster breeding and have the breeds do absolutely nothing beyond slight cosmetic differences just to make fun of Forestry bees. :unsmigghh:

President Ark fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 10, 2013

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Clairetic posted:

Hell yes, Scala owns. :science:

I've occasionally toyed with writing mods for Minecraft (in Scala or Clojure), but then I think about how much of a moving target the API is and how I'll just have to rewrite it for every new minor release and :effort:

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

President Ark posted:

Oh my god, yes, I love this! Little hamster mobs found in grasslands/scrublands/deserts that you can trap and put in engines to produce steady amounts of power. Feeding them grain/seeds makes them produce a little extra burst of power, and if you don't feed them for a really long time they break out and annoy you. Then you can have glass cages and tubes you can put extra hamsters into, or maybe even tubes that run into the cages so tired hamsters can take a break.

The most adorable form of power generation. :3:

e: You can also have a stupidly complicated hamster breeding and have the breeds do absolutely nothing beyond slight cosmetic differences just to make fun of Forestry bees. :unsmigghh:

Um excuse me I suggested almost exactly this earlier in the thread I believe you will find I have Minecraft Mod Copyright on hamster-based energy generation solutions.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
For the hamsters, feed them spider eyes for extra power/upgrades.
"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Benly posted:

Um excuse me I suggested almost exactly this earlier in the thread I believe you will find I have Minecraft Mod Copyright on hamster-based energy generation solutions.

Well I think you'll find that as I was the first person to post on the subject of a theoretical power-generator mod that automatically gives me full and total jurisdiction on all future power-generating ideas and I will screech hideously at anyone who tries to claim they can make ideas for power generation without my consent. :pseudo:

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Hell yes, Scala owns. :science:

I've occasionally toyed with writing mods for Minecraft (in Scala or Clojure), but then I think about how much of a moving target the API is and how I'll just have to rewrite it for every new minor release and :effort:
It's not that bad sometimes, and the reason it's such a moving target is because the internals are such a mess and being continually reworked. But definitely wait for 1.7.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Clockwork Chain Engine

Stuff a metal block into it, it generates power over time as the block is slowly lowered by a chain. The longer a drop from the engine, the longer it generates power. When the block comes to a rest X blocks below, it is placed and the chain rewound, ready for a new iron block (or the same one, mined and carried back to the engine) to be placed in the engine. For bonus points, the thing cuckoos when the block reaches the bottom.

Entropic Engine

Slowly grinds nearby stone into cobblestone, cobblestone into gravel, and gravel into sand. Once there's no stone, cobble, or gravel nearby, it stops generating power.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Engine mod idea, The Doohickey: Does nothing but eat power and animate. Most likely just a spinning weather-vane shape. It only exists to give you an excuse to provide more power to make it animate faster or to power more. Could also have different versions/animations like the Thingamabob or Whatchamacallit.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Lightning rod. When it's hit by lightning, it generates some power.

Kinetic Generator. When something falls on it (cow, gravel, TNT, etc.) or blows up near it, it generates some power based on how far it fell or how strong the blast was.

Thaumcraft taint generator. Generates power based on how tainted the area is or something. Leads to "fun."

Photosynthesis generator. You put a tree on top of it and it generates power based on how much leaf blocks are on the tree.

Attention generator. Generates power every time something looks at it.

Traveling generator. You place it in a minecart and it generates power based on how far it travels from its starting point. Bonus power for each biome it goes through.

Portal generator. Generates power based on how much portal blocks are in the area.

Communication generator. Generates some power each time something is said in chat.

Door generator. Attach a wooden, iron, or trap door on it, and it generates power each time it is opened or closed.

Popularity generator. Generates power periodically based on how much players are in the area.

Hoarder generator. Put items into it like an extremely large chest, and only hold one of each item and high value items give more power. To get the items back, you must destroy the generator.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 11, 2013

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Well this is infuriating. I'm trying to combine the Better Furnaces mod in Toast with my AE system so it can auto-cook stuff faster. Everything works except for one little detail. All the damned auto input or output upgrades refuse to be set to anything but "left" which fouls up the setup I had already for my TC powered furnaces. If I set an upgrade's direction it just resets a moment later.

Sure, I can just rotate it until "left" is against the back wall for it to output to, but that means I can't see the front of the face animating.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Alkydere posted:

Well this is infuriating. I'm trying to combine the Better Furnaces mod in Toast with my AE system so it can auto-cook stuff faster. Everything works except for one little detail. All the damned auto input or output upgrades refuse to be set to anything but "left" which fouls up the setup I had already for my TC powered furnaces. If I set an upgrade's direction it just resets a moment later.

Sure, I can just rotate it until "left" is against the back wall for it to output to, but that means I can't see the front of the face animating.

I hit that issue- are you on a server? Apparently, it's a bug that only effects servers and not single player for some odd reason, and from what I saw the mod author didn't intend to fix it when someone brought it up, at least in the current version.

Frustrating, since for the longest time I was convinced it was me screwing something up.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yes, I am on the server. I just halved my furnace bank it and shrugged because I realized with 4x faster furnaces I can fill up the AE interface recipe list and not really worry about backlogs.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

This mod has some of these generator ideas already implemented:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1875953-162-engineers-toolbox-customizable-modular-machines-now-with-deployer-replacement/

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I would love to see something like the Redpower windmills except they generate power people actually give a poo poo about. Those were super cool aesthetically. I know some mods have wind generators but they're either tiny or just inert blocks. When RP2 for 1.4 was teased, the windmills were the only thing I got excited about.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

It only has water turbine and piezoelectric generators (in addition to the standard solar). Turbine seems both excessively picky (only works in river biomes) and neat as you basically have to make a dam of them to generate a decent amount of power. Piezoelectric seems hilariously weak and just hilarious (generates a single burst of 8MJ when stepped on, not MJ/T just MJ, one second cooldown, 1/20 chance of instead zapping the entity for 2 hearts of damage).

That being said, I now have a giant pile of tools/toys to play with.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
What I would like to see in solar generation something OTHER then photovoltaic. Give me a proper Heliostat tower, where properly aligned mirrors are the key to good production, or even an Updraft Tower. If you make it a proper multiblock structure I can have an awesome tower on the top of my mountain generating power for my base.
Also, proper multiblock windmills that convert rotational mechanical energy into store-able electric energy. I really kinda dislike plonking down a single block and stuffing coal into it to generate power. I like designing stuff. Even if I always end up with function over form.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Make it so that tossing food over the focal point of an operational heliostat tower cooks it. I'd set up a chest that outputs raw food when its daylight, and something to suck up the end product after a timer.

:chef::hf::science:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Actually, if you are working with MineFactory compatability, it'd be neat to have a sewage and sludge burning engines--maybe a big goofy waste boiler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Derailment Generator - Provides power as long as this thread can't get off a bandwagon.

• Locked thread