Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
If I want to understand what's happening do I need to read all the tie-ins or will I be ok with just the mini and USM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

This is starting to enter into Age of Ultron levels of has tremendous potential but dies midway through.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

coconono posted:

This is starting to enter into Age of Ultron levels of has tremendous potential but dies midway through.

The two page spreads are honestly kind of getting on my nerves. I also didn't think Miles/Ganke's conversation was as good as its been in the solo-series.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

d00gZ posted:

It wasted no time getting into the premise, but it sure wasted time getting into something resembling a loving story. Here is Cataclysm #1:

"Galactus shows up and people freak out."

That is LITERALLY IT. This is seriously the worst example of Bendis-event-first-issue-malaise I've seen in forever.

Oh how quickly we forget Age of Ultron.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

d00gZ posted:

It wasted no time getting into the premise, but it sure wasted time getting into something resembling a loving story. Here is Cataclysm #1:

"Galactus shows up and people freak out."

That is LITERALLY IT. This is seriously the worst example of Bendis-event-first-issue-malaise I've seen in forever.

Worse than Age of Ultron? Nah.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

And that xenomorph cap freaked me the gently caress out.

WHAT? WHAT DO YOU HAVE CAP? BECAUSE THE NEXT SCENE poo poo GETS ALL EXPLODEY AND GODDAMN THIS WAS A DUMB ISSUE I DONT EVEN WANT TO REREAD IT.

/vent

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

thet0wer posted:

Ultimates 1
Ultimates 2
Ultimate Avengers vs. New Ultimates
Ultimates #1-30

This is from last page but I assume Ultimates #1 - 30 is Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates? This product line is loving stupid and I want to start reading it again because I am loving stupid.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Majuju posted:

This is from last page but I assume Ultimates #1 - 30 is Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates? This product line is loving stupid and I want to start reading it again because I am loving stupid.

Yeah. The Hickman and Fialkov runs of Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates: The Comic are great. It is a shame that the Humphries run is both the longest and most awful.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Majuju posted:

So you want to read good comics since you are stupid. The latest Ultimate's comics has been okay. The stuff by Hickman and Fialkov is really good.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

bobkatt013 posted:

So you want to read good comics since you are stupid. The latest Ultimate's comics has been okay. The stuff by Hickman and Fialkov is really good.

I want to start reading good comics with a terrible naming convention, yes. Thanks to both of you! Comixology HOOOOO!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Majuju posted:

I want to start reading good comics with a terrible naming convention, yes. Thanks to both of you! Comixology HOOOOO!

If you would rather read a really good series read Ultimate Spider-man.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Ultimate Spider-Man is remarkably consistent. Even the bad stuff is entertaining, and fairly brief. It is also the only comic book to ever make me cry.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man is remarkably consistent. Even the bad stuff is entertaining, and fairly brief. It is also the only comic book to ever make me cry.

What scene was that?
Death of Spider-man Fallout 1

Death of Spider-man Fallout 6

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

What scene was that?
Death of Spider-man Fallout 1

Death of Spider-man Fallout 6

You bastard. Seriously though, the "Were you Spider-Man's mommy?" scene.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I feel like the death of Spider-Man has not gotten the recognition it deserves, especially since it has managed to stick for this long. I guess that is what happens when the storyline takes place in what most people felt was some kind of secondary/B-team universe. :smith:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ToastyPotato posted:

I feel like the death of Spider-Man has not gotten the recognition it deserves, especially since it has managed to stick for this long. I guess that is what happens when the storyline takes place in what most people felt was some kind of secondary/B-team universe. :smith:

Still probably one of my favorite storylines ever. I'm not sure I'll ever read a good long run like Bendis and company gave Ultimate Peter Parker. It was a great story beginning to end. And how often do you see that in comics? Especially over that long of a time period. We never really get any true closure on characters because of the nature of the business. But I feel like with that we did. And I think that is the reason that it will stick forever.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Everyone tends to remember The Death of Spider-Man really fondly these days but I recall that a lot of, if not most, people weren't that happy with it when it first came out. The whole set up was incredibly flimsy. First Norman Osborn is suddenly alive again and somehow he's in SHIELD custody as soon as he wakes up. Scans show he has no powers left but naturally it's just SHIELD being incompetent and he still does and then we get what must be the 74th Triskelion breakout in the last year alone. We never get an explanation for any of this.

It's obvious that Osborn is brought back simply because he's supposed to be Spidey's greatest enemy and the "how" part of bringing him back was just an afterthought. But what's even dumber about all this is that in the end you could say that The Punisher ends up being more responsible for Peter's death than anyone because Peter dies of exertion after being shot, not because of any direct damage on Osborn's part. The whole arc felt rushed and not particularly thought through.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Senjuro posted:

Everyone tends to remember The Death of Spider-Man really fondly these days but I recall that a lot of, if not most, people weren't that happy with it when it first came out. The whole set up was incredibly flimsy. First Norman Osborn is suddenly alive again and somehow he's in SHIELD custody as soon as he wakes up. Scans show he has no powers left but naturally it's just SHIELD being incompetent and he still does and then we get what must be the 74th Triskelion breakout in the last year alone. We never get an explanation for any of this.

It's obvious that Osborn is brought back simply because he's supposed to be Spidey's greatest enemy and the "how" part of bringing him back was just an afterthought. But what's even dumber about all this is that in the end you could say that The Punisher ends up being more responsible for Peter's death than anyone because Peter dies of exertion after being shot, not because of any direct damage on Osborn's part. The whole arc felt rushed and not particularly thought through.

Yeah Death of Spider-man was a really lovely story with a bunch of contrivances.

My favorite is Peter declaring he was happy he died protecting Aunt May even though she wasn't actually in the much danger at all. Hell the only real reason she was in any danger was his dumb rear end running into trouble.

Such a dumb, dumb story.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 10, 2013

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Story contrivances aside I just can't like The Death of Spider-Man for the simple fact that the story ends with a 16 year old kid getting brutally murdered in front of his family.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I could at least understand why Bendis did it if he really wanted to do something truly different with Spider-Man afterwards but Miles ended up being almost exactly the same character as Peter just less of a nerd so I'm really wondering what was the point of it all. Just one big publicly stunt?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Senjuro posted:

I could at least understand why Bendis did it if he really wanted to do something truly different with Spider-Man afterwards but Miles ended up being almost exactly the same character as Peter just less of a nerd so I'm really wondering what was the point of it all. Just one big publicly stunt?

Aside from being less nerdy he's also a visible minority headlining his own title, so that would be a big part of it. Plus you get those little moments in all the books where you see the influence Peter's death had on everyone

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Senjuro posted:

The ultimates line had been really struggling and I believe even USM had seen some downturn in sales so probably.

I mean its really obvious when you consider how rushed DOSM is. Though its possible Bendis just wanted to do something different and just ran into the problem Bendis sometimes has, where his characters tend to sound alike.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

As was usual, Bendis' DOSM was just fine. It was the poo poo tie ins with Ultimates/Ultimate Avengers/whatever that were weird. USM told a completely different story compared to Ultimate Avengers. In UA, Spider-Man gets shot by the Punisher and he gets separated from them during the battle and no one gives a gently caress at all and they don't even bother looking for him. In USM, Peter gets shot and they treat him on the field but Peter hauls his rear end back home to defend his Aunt. And then the Ultimate Avengers stuff tied in for like 3 or 4 more issues and had completely nothing to do with DOSM

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It may seem like a publicity stunt now, but decades from now it'll probably still be talked about as one of the most unique comic events from the big 2. Of course then Dan Slott made Doc Ock Spider-Man too :v:

I'm actually really interested in seeing Spider-Men 2 and watching Miles interact with SpOck.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

As was usual, Bendis' DOSM was just fine. It was the poo poo tie ins with Ultimates/Ultimate Avengers/whatever that were weird. USM told a completely different story compared to Ultimate Avengers. In UA, Spider-Man gets shot by the Punisher and he gets separated from them during the battle and no one gives a gently caress at all and they don't even bother looking for him. In USM, Peter gets shot and they treat him on the field but Peter hauls his rear end back home to defend his Aunt. And then the Ultimate Avengers stuff tied in for like 3 or 4 more issues and had completely nothing to do with DOSM

Huh, I never read the tie in, it didn't seem that important. You get most of what you need in USM.

Though its still a pretty lovely story.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Aside from being less nerdy he's also a visible minority headlining his own title, so that would be a big part of it. Plus you get those little moments in all the books where you see the influence Peter's death had on everyone

The fact that DOSM was a rushed mess and the fact that Miles and Peter are so similar makes it look less like he just wanted to add diversity while telling a good story and more like a dishonest publicity stunt.

Here's an idea, Uncle Aaron gets bitten instead of Miles and then you get a story about a less moral Spider-Man, something substantially different from Peter.

He could have beaten Scarlet Spider and Dan Slott to the punch.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Senjuro posted:

The fact that DOSM was a rushed mess the fact that Miles and Peter are so similar makes it looks less like he just wanted to add diversity while telling a good story and more like a dishonest publicity stunt.

Here's an idea, Uncle Aaron gets bitten instead of Miles and then you get a story about a less moral Spider-Man, something substantially different from Peter.

He could have beaten Scarlet Spider and Dan Slott to the punch.

"Let's have the black Spider-Man be a murderous career criminal" yes, that's a genius idea, well done, that's not loving racist as poo poo at all

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

d00gZ posted:

"Let's have the black Spider-Man be a murderous career criminal" yes, that's a genius idea, well done, that's not loving racist as poo poo at all

OK I didn't think that one all the way through but come on, surely there are good ideas out there that are not a rehash of the same character as before.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Waterhaul posted:

Story contrivances aside I just can't like The Death of Spider-Man for the simple fact that the story ends with a 16 year old kid getting brutally murdered in front of his family.

You're already reading about a 16 year old vigilante that beats the poo poo out of criminals and murderers, so really...

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though its still a pretty lovely story.

I disagree with this and the claim that it's a rushed mess. I think DoSM is one of the better comic deaths in that it actually feels tragic and unnecessary. It happens relatively quickly and with very little buildup, since it's the outcome of two entirely separate events unfortunately happening one right after the other. If either event hadn't happened, either getting shot by Punisher or the Osborn and the others coming for him, he'd have likely survived.

CharlestheHammer posted:

My favorite is Peter declaring he was happy he died protecting Aunt May even though she wasn't actually in the much danger at all.

To be fair, Osborn nearly killed her during the fight.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though its possible Bendis just wanted to do something different and just ran into the problem Bendis sometimes has, where his characters tend to sound alike.

Yes, I'm certain this is what happened. :rolleyes:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If nothing else DOSM is good for the fact that he hasn't and 99% never will come back. That's a major comics event right there

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My major problem with DOSM was how the whole thing was Osborne returning from the dead again, despite the fact that the previous "Death of Goblin" story arc was pretty much a definitive end to the character.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Opopanax posted:

If nothing else DOSM is good for the fact that he hasn't and 99% never will come back. That's a major comics event right there

Soon there might not be a universe to come back to.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

DFu4ever posted:

You're already reading about a 16 year old vigilante that beats the poo poo out of criminals and murderers, so really...

I don't need realism in my cape books about kids. Ultimate Peter's story is that he was a dorky kid that fought a bunch of dudes, saved some lives but was ultimately murdered in front of his loved ones but it's okay cos he inspired some people. It'd be nice to have just given him a happy ending but Miles couldn't exist while Peter was still around.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DFu4ever posted:

I disagree with this and the claim that it's a rushed mess. I think DoSM is one of the better comic deaths in that it actually feels tragic and unnecessary. It happens relatively quickly and with very little buildup, since it's the outcome of two entirely separate events unfortunately happening one right after the other. If either event hadn't happened, either getting shot by Punisher or the Osborn and the others coming for him, he'd have likely survived.
Eh that only works if you want the realism angle, which is not something superhero stories really work in. Doesn't mean they are allowed to do whatever dumb poo poo they want, but realism isn't exactly that useful.

Though anyway its really rushed just by having characters just do things to advance the story, not because there wasn't any build-up.

DFu4ever posted:

Yes, I'm certain this is what happened. :rolleyes:
I didn't say it was likely but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 10, 2013

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Waterhaul posted:

I don't need realism in my cape books about kids.

Hasn't that been the general MO of the Ultimate line? Hell Peter gets shot pretty early on in his series too. People die left and right in UC. And it isn't like someone slit his throat, or executed him, and stabbed him repeatedly in front of Aunt May. He got shot again, which weakened him, and then he had a superhero brawl in front of his house and died after stopping the threat. That's a pretty basic superhero death. The fact that he is young is supposed to be the tragedy of it and the story itself actually points that out.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though anyway its really rushed just by having characters just do things to advance the story, not because there wasn't any build-up.

But the things the characters did to advance the story made sense based on the story (well, stories if you count the Ultimates stuff going on that got Parker shot) up until that point. I'm not sure how it could be rushed, really. Rushed in comparison to what?

Waterhaul posted:

I don't need realism in my cape books about kids. Ultimate Peter's story is that he was a dorky kid that fought a bunch of dudes, saved some lives but was ultimately murdered in front of his loved ones but it's okay cos he inspired some people. It'd be nice to have just given him a happy ending but Miles couldn't exist while Peter was still around.

USM had a number of moments that fall outside your perception of what the book apparently should be. It wasn't too long before DoSM that you had Shocker nearly killing him in cold blood out of the sheer frustration that Spider-Man had caused him over the years, and Shocker was a comic relief villain in the book. Gwen Stacy died in fairly brutal fashion as well.

Out of curiosity, have you ever read Invincible?

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 10, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DFu4ever posted:

But the things the characters did to advance the story made sense based on the story (well, stories if you count the Ultimates stuff going on that got Parker shot) up until that point. I'm not sure how it could be rushed, really. Rushed in comparison to what?

Well I fundamentally disagree, nothing they do makes a lick of sense.

Plus just resurrecting Norman was dumb, especially since his last death was actually a fairly nice end to his character.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I fundamentally disagree, nothing they do makes a lick of sense.

Can you clarify? Literally every character that plays a part in DoSM that I can think of has good reason to be doing what they are doing at the time.

EDIT: Resurrecting Osborn was extremely tame from a comic storytelling perspective.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DFu4ever posted:

Can you clarify? Literally every character that plays a part in DoSM that I can think of has good reason to be doing what they are doing at the time.
I have,(some of them at least) you seem to disagree so it doesn't seem like it will go anywhere.

DFu4ever posted:

EDIT: Resurrecting Osborn was extremely tame from a comic storytelling perspective.

I don't really care, it was dumb and enough to ruin the story by itself.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
It's a shame they felt they had to involve Osborn when they could have used the very much alive Doc Ock and avoided messing up the story from the first page. Ock was arguably the real arch nemesis in USM.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 10, 2013

• Locked thread