Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Section Z posted:

Edit Two: Enemy Psychic Sniper Mind Control against your Sectoid, fails. :xcom: Flanking them from behind with your plasma rifle assault misses the 93% shot, and they cloak away :xcom: Still won, but between being mad at the bugs, I'm just amazed when the hilarity of natural X-Com swings both ways :allears:

Sectoids have pretty high will. Mind Control should fail against them frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

SBJ posted:

Is it normal for my first Ironman Classic run to have a hall of fame that is 2 pages long and be down by 3 countries before I even assault the alien base?

I'm pretty drat good at Terror missions apparently. I challenged 2 with just stock armour and ballistics. I didn't lose anybody and rescued over half the civilians. But I suck in Abduction missions where I have to fight Mutons who will destroy me in one shot.

I think your trouble is being in month 3 without finishing either lasers or carapace armor. What on earth have you been researching? Lasers, man! Get your redshirts all fired up about being able to use an honest-to-god laser gun. PEW PEW. They'll perform better just out of pure excitement.

Or take a plasma shot to the face.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 10, 2013

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

How did you people get into X-Com if you're willing to let those civvies die? You listen to that music and tell me it's OK to let em die http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb4NPmZ_zmg&list=PLc5Ywe-KmiGMa_ChG42NyRw7kS_pmKmtK I've lost a lot of good men and women but they died defending the human race dammit, and those people in terror missions, well they're human and they need defendin' :clint:

Thanks, Hot Dog Day, your words inspired me. Finally worked up the courage to head into that first Terror Mission. Wounds from an Abduction just a few days before (I believe I've heard people refer to it as the "Death Highway" map) meant my team going in was an Lt. Heavy, a Cpl. Support, 3 Snipers, and a Rookie. Thank you to whoever recommended OTS over rushing more sats, because I juuust managed to squeeze in that second squad size increase.

So, yeah - three sniper rifles, two with laser pistols; one LMG + one rocket; two laser rifles with normal pistols.

No casualties, 13/18 civilians saved. gently caress you, Chrysalids. :clint:

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 10, 2013

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Brainamp posted:

The few times I've played, the berserker team with sniper support was my favorite gimmick team, especially on the bar map. Scout out with the sniper, he's not really important, but keep all your angry mans out of sight. The second your opponent steps out into view, you bullrush that poo poo. Of course, if your opponent is a camper, then it becomes a game of who gets bored first.

I much preferred the Three Muton + Sectoids team. Use your sectoid to trigger the overwatch, then rush in 3 alien grenades immediately.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Ghost of Starman posted:

Thanks, Hot Dog Day, your words inspired me. Finally worked up the courage to head into that first Terror Mission. Wounds from an Abduction just a few days before (I believe I've heard people refer to it as the "Death Highway" map) meant my team going in was an Lt. Heavy, a Cpl. Support, 3 Snipers, and a Rookie. Thank you to whoever recommended OTS over rushing more sats, because I juuust managed to squeeze in that second squad size increase.

So, yeah - three sniper rifles, two with laser pistols; one LMG + one rocket; two laser rifles with normal pistols.

No casualties, 13/18 civilians saved. gently caress you, Chrysalids. :clint:

Playing this with every terror mission now.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Deuce posted:

Playing this with every terror mission now.

Bonus is that you can use the very next track of the Starship Troopers soundtrack for every terror mission when things turn sour.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The Starship Troopers reference is done admirably well in video by Beaglerush and it is every bit as awesome as you can imagine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmsbrhCuN0g&t=625s

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
EW will unlock around 5am GMT if I'm using a VPN on Tuesday, right? I recall SR4 unlocking at a similar time. I'm way too impatient to hold back until Friday.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
drat, I assume Beaglerush never got a preview code then? That sucks, and was a terrible decision from the Firaxis PR team.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Darkrenown posted:

drat, I assume Beaglerush never got a preview code then? That sucks, and was a terrible decision from the Firaxis PR team.

Or maybe they did and he's waiting til launch day?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Kind of a waste then, surely? He could just play the full version. Not impossible though I suppose.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Darkrenown posted:

Kind of a waste then, surely? He could just play the full version. Not impossible though I suppose.

I mean, to post it. Otherwise he'd have to wait a couple of weeks to play it, then get footage and edit it. :rolleyes:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The Steam 'coming soon' page had the American release date for EW on my Steam up until yesterday. Sometimes I think Steam feeds on my anguish :(

How does VPN unlocking work with expansions? Do I have to download the entire update through the VPN?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Tehan posted:

The Steam 'coming soon' page had the American release date for EW on my Steam up until yesterday. Sometimes I think Steam feeds on my anguish :(

How does VPN unlocking work with expansions? Do I have to download the entire update through the VPN?
I haven't been involved in a case of region-delayed DLC yet. I have a feeling that you'd only need to activate the key and there shouldn't be any locking mechanism. There have been cases for full games where the UK can't activate keys early, but you can VPN into the US to bypass that limitation. If this were a full game it'd just be a matter of a preload then VPN to grab the decryption key.

Really I just hope GMG gives out the keys earlier than the 15th and they're not region-specific. That would give the most choices for working around the system...

e: Did some looking around the CDR. There's a Enemy Within North American Pre-Purchase and a Enemy Within for the rest of the world [well except Russia but that's a special case]. I assume the NA batch of keys are tied to the North American Pre-Purchase subscription and are usable from the 12th while the rest of the world has to wait until the 15th.

Anyway point is if you're in the UK and have a UK key, it might be possible to trade with someone in the US and activate their key if they're willing to wait to the 15th. This is assuming both keys aren't region-locked which I don't expect to be the case.

Why can't companies be clear about these things in advance. gently caress retail and region delays :smith:

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 11, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The global steam achievements for this game confuse me. Like, only 80% of the people who own this game have actually played the first mission?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Speedball posted:

The global steam achievements for this game confuse me. Like, only 80% of the people who own this game have actually played the first mission?

Global steam achievements exist to show how much money valve makes off of people that buy games en mass and then never play half of them

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Speedball posted:

XCOM: EU was given out as a bonus for Bioshock Infinite. Steam still thinks that I haven't beaten Classic at all so I think the achievement code might be a bit buggy.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BenRGamer posted:

Or maybe they did and he's waiting til launch day?

They didn't, he said as much on his twitter. No early XCOM for him. Kind of silly considering the people there who actively wanted him to have an early copy but the people in video game PR are known for having their heads up their asses at all times.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

zylche posted:

e: Did some looking around the CDR. There's a Enemy Within North American Pre-Purchase and a Enemy Within for the rest of the world [well except Russia but that's a special case]. I assume the NA batch of keys are tied to the North American Pre-Purchase subscription and are usable from the 12th while the rest of the world has to wait until the 15th.

So if I've already preordered EW on Steam from Australia, there's probably no way to get EW on the 12th short of buying a whole new copy, because I've got the ROW version that'd unlock on the 15th even if I VPN'd to an American IP? Well, poo poo :smithicide:

Edit: I swear Steam's just loving with me now:

Tehan fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 11, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zylche posted:

XCOM: EU was given out as a bonus for Bioshock Infinite. Steam still thinks that I haven't beaten Classic at all so I think the achievement code might be a bit buggy.

Yeah, Steam refuses to proc my Classic victory achievement, it is annoying. Maybe when EW hits.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
So I was just notified of Enemy Within and this has me excited, but I wonder if anyone still plays the multiplayer component of this game? Honestly I feel like I enjoy the customization options and the opportunity to shoot at other players instead of the AI/

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They didn't, he said as much on his twitter. No early XCOM for him. Kind of silly considering the people there who actively wanted him to have an early copy but the people in video game PR are known for having their heads up their asses at all times.

Clearly, the game is broken strategically and they're worried that if they give a copy to anyone that isn't strategically braindead before the game ships, everyone will know and cancel the preorders :tinfoil:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

…man, am I just a scrub or is Classic that much of a jump over Normal? I'm trying to be smart about everything but I'm still getting my rear end whipped.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Speedball posted:

…man, am I just a scrub or is Classic that much of a jump over Normal? I'm trying to be smart about everything but I'm still getting my rear end whipped.

It is a huge jump over normal.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Speedball posted:

Now try impossible. :getin:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Brainamp posted:

Now try impossible. :getin:

Sectoids having 4HP is seriously loving me over.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Crazy idea for future cosmetic DLC: something that makes all the aliens look like 1994 X-Com aliens, in modern-res graphics. Mutons look like bodybuilders in green spandex. Floaters are guys with red capes. Chrysalids have big smiley-faces! (Assuming it was just a texture pack, though, you might have to leave Chrysalids as quadrupeds…)

Now that's something I might lay five bucks down for...

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I'd drop 5$ for a heavy that sounded like TF2s heavy weapon guy. It's too bad the localization voices is what's getting pushed through and not heavily accented ones.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Speedball posted:

Biggest thing that helped me trying to jump to Classic: avoid using Overwatch if your squad has an alien in sight and start using Hunker Down WAY more.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah, I'd pay money for a "Have lady/dude voices for various accents" DLC.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd pay good money for an Arabic voice pack, what with the Saudis and Egyptians in the game.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

TalonDemonKing posted:

I'd drop 5$ for a heavy that sounded like TF2s heavy weapon guy. It's too bad the localization voices is what's getting pushed through and not heavily accented ones.
So, I take it that the Scandinavian countries won't be getting their own voice pack or Firaxis will just use soundclips from the Swedish Chef?

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, I take it that the Scandinavian countries won't be getting their own voice pack or Firaxis will just use soundclips from the Swedish Chef?

I thought you cannot simply use sound clips from other media due to copyrights issue?

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Does EW add more nationalities for soldiers? I doubt it but all they really have to do is add more names and flags to their database.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow they really hosed this voices thing up. JUST PUT IN SOME loving ACCENTS! There would never be a squad where everyone is speaking different languages that is so loving stupid, and if it's just an across the board everyone speaks arabic or chinese now instead of dudeguy-americana that's as terrible as it is now, who thought this was a good idea?

It's starting to seem like vanilla x-com will just be the better game overall once the novelty of all the new toys wears off, it's a lot more cohesive and here they're just throwing poo poo at the wall and most of it isn't sticking. Yay you get robot soldiers and fedora enemies and toxic goo that makes you into mutants omg radical!!! It's like a mod made by a loving 13 year old.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Wow they really hosed this voices thing up. JUST PUT IN SOME loving ACCENTS! There would never be a squad where everyone is speaking different languages that is so loving stupid, and if it's just an across the board everyone speaks arabic or chinese now instead of dudeguy-americana that's as terrible as it is now, who thought this was a good idea?

It's starting to seem like vanilla x-com will just be the better game overall once the novelty of all the new toys wears off, it's a lot more cohesive and here they're just throwing poo poo at the wall and most of it isn't sticking. Yay you get robot soldiers and fedora enemies and toxic goo that makes you into mutants omg radical!!! It's like a mod made by a loving 13 year old.

Well it's a flavour thing. They got a lot of flak for everyone speaking American English and this is their attempt to fulfill something people asked for, I'm quite happy with the result of it.

When does the game unlock for US folks? Tuesday or Wednesday? I believe I'll try the VPN stuff if I'm not super busy this week.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Hmm, not blowing things out of proportion at all. Y'know you can... not buy the expansion right? They had the localized voice assets available, why not unlock them for every region?

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

I can't blame them, it would involve a huge amount of extra voice work to do line readings in accented English for every nationality in the game (plus male and female for each). This does seem like the best compromise possible without going to those lengths.

It doesn't seem that much goofier than vanilla X-Com, honestly. This is a game where space bugs vomit on civilians to turn them into zombies before your jet-pack sniper headshots them from across the map.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
I actually like the idea of a multilingual X-Com squad. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I think a lot of you are missing that it costs them nothing and it is very easy for them to add in their localized voices as extra flavor. If it was any harder to do we probably wouldn't be getting anything at all. So short of some mod support for voice packs, I'm just happy we're getting this.

Fake edit: beaten on this while I was writing the tips below...

Dumb stuff reviewers keep doing that everyone should stop doing if you are doing it:

Aside from the usual "don't ever dash into unknown areas, or move into unknown areas on your last move" there are two things I want to point this out so hopefully nobody else is doing it.

1) Never dash unless you are 100% certain you won't trigger an enemy pack. Tip: you probably aren't. It is almost always going to be better to move once, then move again after you know what the situation is at the end of your first move. Even if you are in combat already, move once, see where you're at and that nothing happened, then move again. It only takes a second or two more, but it will help you out if you stumble into something instead of locking yourself in. The only exceptions to this rule are Run & Gun assaults and when you have to move through an enemy overwatch (since it provides a bonus to defense). Although that is rarely a good idea.

2) Always use everyone's first action, then the 2nd. Too many videos I see them move one guy up, then overwatch, or move another guy up and then shoot, before confirming their other members will even be able to move in for support. It is always better to spend the first action moving your guys into position, then checking who has what shots, then taking their actions or falling back. This way, depending on the out comes you can always use the 2nd action to do something else should some new event alter your initial plan.

Other than that just follow the movement plans outlined by beaglerush's vids. You really don't need to do that stuff in normal, and not all of the time in classic. But doing so will make you more successful overall.

Three more tips just to reiterate for anyone that doesn't know or remember:

1) You can build more than one satellite at once. Always build them in batches of one though (build quantity of 1, then build quantity of 1, instead of using that qty selector). This way you can always cancel it if you need to get the funds back.

2) You can cancel research projects and start on another one without losing progress on your first one. So feel free to jump around as needed, you don't lose anything.

3) Likewise, as noted above, you can pretty much cancel any project that costs money and resources to get them back. So if you really need cash or alloys/fragments, just cancel something you don't need. But you should be selling everything you find in the early game anyway.

• Locked thread