Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ASM was "emo" in that being a teenager is kind of "emo". He still had several fun moments as Spidey. I particularly liked him loving around on his smartphon when he was chilling on his bigass web in the sewer.

Anyway, here's FF: Dark Reign #2, possibly the best panel in Hickman's entire run:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Wolverine by Adam Warren, via Bendis

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

KoldPT posted:

Wolverine by Adam Warren, via Bendis

I like Gokuverine but that's alarmingly close to Wolverine's actual ridiculous hair.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

He looks almost like Lobo to me.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
I'm glad my eye's gotten better. I thought that's Adam Warren, wait that might be the guy from gunsmith cats. Then I read the text.

Cooked Auto posted:

He looks almost like Lobo to me.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Lobo's look is Wolverine's except for red pupiless eyes, black facial "tattoos", and otherwise alabaster skin. Other than the facial markings, that's invisible in black and white.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Since I haven't seen it yet, just to keep with Ennis for a bit more:

Source: Various Preacher volumes.

A few more here (a few are very decidedly NSFW, so consider yourselves warned): http://therec-room.com/top-ten-funniest-moments-in-preacher/

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Whenever I come to a moving walkway in an airport I invariably mutter to myself "Moving walkway, Granny gently caress! Not moving loving standway!" It's become Pavlovian.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Whenever I come to a moving walkway in an airport I invariably mutter to myself "Moving walkway, Granny gently caress! Not moving loving standway!" It's become Pavlovian.

You are not alone.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Nahxela posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOtpeYERu9w
Here you go.

Also have a thing from Wizard Magazine

...Doom's done surgery(Though I don't believe he's an actual surgical 'doctor'), Samson shouldn't be here(Dr of psychology), Midnight's done surgery even with his blindness, Light ain't a medical/surgical doctor, Octopus I don't think is either, Strange should be here physically since he's qualified, Fate I forget, and I don't know anyone in the gallery.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Doctors Polaris, I want to say Psycho, don't know the third guy, and Druid. None of which are medical doctors either.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
You gotta wonder if there's any comic book Doctor who pulled a Zoidberg and only has a PhD in Art History.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Judgement posted:

don't know the third guy

Has TV's Dr Phil ever appeared in a comic? It looks like it's supposed to be him.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Judgement posted:

Doctors Polaris, I want to say Psycho, don't know the third guy, and Druid. None of which are medical doctors either.

I think you're right with Doctor Psycho. And it's a shame Night Nurse isn't in there.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

404GoonNotFound posted:

You gotta wonder if there's any comic book Doctor who pulled a Zoidberg and only has a PhD in Art History.

I think Vivisector from X-Statix was a PhD candidate in American Lit. I forget how old those characters were supposed to be, but I definitely recall that he had a bunch of publication credits that would have been unusual for an undergraduate. Although I guess being a mutant werewolf is unusual for undergraduates too.

Speaking of whom:

Source: X-Force #119

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 11, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Pretty sure most of X-Statix were in their late 20's.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Actually, now that I think about it what's stopping, say, Tony Stark from donating an entire wing to NYU in exchange for an honorary PhD? You gotta admit, correcting people with "That's Doctor Stark, thank you very much" would be a perfect character beat.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Bloodly posted:

...Doom's done surgery(Though I don't believe he's an actual surgical 'doctor'), Samson shouldn't be here(Dr of psychology), Midnight's done surgery even with his blindness, Light ain't a medical/surgical doctor, Octopus I don't think is either, Strange should be here physically since he's qualified, Fate I forget, and I don't know anyone in the gallery.

It is one of my favorite little things that. Doctor Strange isn't a codename or technicality or anything like that. It's literally Stephen Strange, M.D., and he insists on going by that even when his actual job is being a wizard.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Bloodly posted:

Doc Samson is a psychiatrist, which means (as opposed to a psychologist) that he does have an M.D. I wonder why Doctor Voodoo wasn't in there.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Bloodly posted:

The Golden Age Doctor Fate was an archaeologist originally, but then also became - inexplicably - a medical doctor as well. So, maybe he's qualified?

Content. When you can't out magic your opponent, punch him in the face and throw him out the window:

More Fun Comics #55

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
More Infinity Variants by Skottie Young

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Bloodly posted:

Strange should be here physically since he's qualified
Except for the whole hand thing that led him to become a sorcerer in the first place. Or did he fix that at some point?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Roark posted:

More Fun Comics #55

"So ends Wotan - and whomever he may crush on the sidewalk below!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

404GoonNotFound posted:

Actually, now that I think about it what's stopping, say, Tony Stark from donating an entire wing to NYU in exchange for an honorary PhD? You gotta admit, correcting people with "That's Doctor Stark, thank you very much" would be a perfect character beat.

One of Bendis's Illuminati stories had him complaining about how Reed Richards and Hank Pym are always addressed as "doctor", and Professor X and Dr Strange have their qualifications as part of their superhero names, while he holds three doctorates but nobody ever rememebers.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but they're probably all in engineering.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lobok posted:

"So ends Wotan - and whomever he may crush on the sidewalk below!"

The Golden Age sure was full of casual murder.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

More Fun! :haw:

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

muscles like this? posted:

Pff, the Golden Age wasn't full of casual...

...oh. :stare:

All-Star Comics #2, "The Glowing Globe"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
No no, you're right. There's nothing casual about Wesley straight up shooting that dude in the head.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When I see it in that panel it just seems funny but when I think of that same move from The Raid I remember how over-the-top and kind of shamefully violent it was.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lobok posted:

When I see it in that panel it just seems funny but when I think of that same move from The Raid I remember how over-the-top and kind of shamefully violent it was.
It's because that dude is like 90, looks like Santa, and has a delightful WELL I NEVER look on his face while he's getting his loving brains blown out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CapnAndy posted:

It's because that dude is like 90, looks like Santa, and has a delightful WELL I NEVER look on his face while he's getting his loving brains blown out.

Also because any and all gore has been replaced with the violent imagery of a BB being fired through wet paper towel.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the one where Starman kicks a chair into a guy's throat.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lobok posted:

Also because any and all gore has been replaced with the violent imagery of a BB being fired through wet paper towel.

It's particularly amusing to remember how the JSA in the early 2000's were all about guiding the modern generation and trying to stop them from becoming killers.

Evidentially what they actually meant was, the modern generation wasn't nearly as efficient as it could be when it comes to murdering badguys.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

It's particularly amusing to remember how the JSA in the early 2000's were all about guiding the modern generation and trying to stop them from becoming killers.

Evidentially what they actually meant was, the modern generation wasn't nearly as efficient as it could be when it comes to murdering badguys.

Considering the vast majority of the JSA died at least once, you could make an argument (and possibly a good story) that their attempts at guiding the modern generation are due to seeing firsthand the fate of unrepentant murderers-for-justice.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FredMSloniker posted:

Except for the whole hand thing that led him to become a sorcerer in the first place. Or did he fix that at some point?

Well I think he kind of had to by necessity since he's got to be making all those weird mystical gestures and handsigns and poo poo. Or even if he didn't fix it right off the bat, I'm sure at some point during the years, he's woken up and gone "Y'know, I should fix my loving hands."

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 12, 2013

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

He was an rear end in a top hat before the accident, his hands keep him humble. He's probably afraid to fix them

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think he has fixed them now. I want to say it involved his martial arts training with Wong, but I might just be wanting that to be true because the parts where Dr Strange and Wong just start using martial arts on people are my favourite.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

goatface posted:

I think he has fixed them now. I want to say it involved his martial arts training with Wong, but I might just be wanting that to be true because the parts where Dr Strange and Wong just start using martial arts on people are my favourite.

They were ruined again in WWH.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

goatface posted:

Dr. Strange knows martial arts? That pretty much makes him a DBZ character. That's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

Dr. Strange knows martial arts? That pretty much makes him a DBZ character. That's awesome.

During the Avengers-Defenders War, he was able to use some smooth moves to fake out Mantis, an alleged martial arts expert. (Which is really pretty silly, I admit. She must have expected him to lay down once she took a swing.)

prefect fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 12, 2013

• Locked thread