Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Geektox posted:

There's a thing for Google Music:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.upnpcast&hl=en

I haven't seen anything for spotify, though.

I finally found something called AirAudio that might work. The advertised functionality requires root, though. I'll edit this post if it winds up working.

maybe someday i'll figure out how to unbrick this thing. There sure are a lot of experts on youtube who are terrible at explaining how to do this poo poo.

OK, my particular onkyo doesn't do AirPlay, so I can't confirm whether this AirAudio app works or not.

Final Update: I realized XBMC can digest AirPlay, after mulling a $100 airport express. AirAudio works perfectly for streaming live system audio from your rooted android device to xbmc. I'm so happy about this.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I like JuiceSSH.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

DNova posted:

Irssi Connectbot is made especially for interfacing with irssi. It's based on a good SSH client called Connectbot.
It's also still actively maintained, unlike the original connectbot.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
So my regular messaging app and Sliding Messaging Pro is sending text messages through my Google Voice number. Is there any way to revert this behavior?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I really didn't like mixing my "hangouts" with my SMS conversations. On top of that one of my contacts (my wife) was just showing up as her phone number instead of name which was a bit annoying.

I switched to Go SMS Pro as it seems to be pretty decent.

smilingokami
Nov 4, 2009
The Aviate spreadsheet, so you know spread the love or something.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...p=sharing#gid=0
(whoops forgot the link)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It has something to do with how CDMA carriers send texts, but yes it's extremely dumb on Google's part especially because everyone else found a way around it 5 years ago.

It's just Sprint, Verizon will let you know it's splitting but you can type right on over the limit.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Midjack posted:

It's just Sprint, Verizon will let you know it's splitting but you can type right on over the limit.

Yes, it's upto the app or phone to determine how they want to work it. The older blackberry's on Verizon, for instance, just wouldn't let you type more than 160 characters. However, the original Motorola droid just decided to turn any message too long into an MMS message. Both of the phones were released near the end of 2009.

E: in the end, it's Google's fault for half assing it yet again

smilingokami
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks to MrBeanTroll I got in the Aviate Beta, so I'll pass on the savings.

(also I got the spreadsheet url wrong last time)

http://tinyurl.com/ptnl3p6

Thanks again MrBeanTroll.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Does anyone know an app that will let me make a widget that connects via ssh and runs a script when clicked?
The main use would be starting XBMC on my media box. I found an app called Script Kitty but it was a bit rubbish. There are some remote launcher solutions involving a dedicated server app, but it feels wrong setting up some java server for the sake of running like two commands.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Is there a way to delete photos from the Google+ auto-backup album from my phone? I can delete them from the browser and I can access them from the gallery app if picasa sync is enabled, but there is no delete option.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

bronin posted:

Is there a way to delete photos from the Google+ auto-backup album from my phone? I can delete them from the browser and I can access them from the gallery app if picasa sync is enabled, but there is no delete option.

The photos tab on Google+ will have that option.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Edit - Whoops wrong thread :butt:

henpod fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 11, 2013

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Frozen-Solid posted:

The photos tab on Google+ will have that option.

The album doesn't show up in the google+ app. I can see all the hangouts albums and my profile pictures album but I don't see auto backup.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Speaking of the Google+ app, is there a way to add a photo to an existing album from the app? It seems to be either share it as a post, or create a new album to add to. Seems like a weird feature to be missing from a service that so heavily photography oriented.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Long-press photo(s), Album icon, choose album. Not sure how you are doing it but it's working fine for me.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I don't actually like the Hangouts app, and I definitely wouldn't want to use it for SMS. It always feels slow and clunky on my S3, and I really don't like the interface. For massaging, the Touchwiz SMS client suits my needs just fine. Second best messaging client would probably be Facebook Messenger for me (although I found using that for SMS to be downright confusing).

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

DashingGentleman posted:

Does anyone know an app that will let me make a widget that connects via ssh and runs a script when clicked?
The main use would be starting XBMC on my media box. I found an app called Script Kitty but it was a bit rubbish. There are some remote launcher solutions involving a dedicated server app, but it feels wrong setting up some java server for the sake of running like two commands.
I am pretty sure you could use Tasker to do this, it has a task for running shell commands.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

Tunga posted:

Long-press photo(s), Album icon, choose album. Not sure how you are doing it but it's working fine for me.

This doesn't work for me on the "Camera" tab in the app. The album icon doesn't show up when selecting photos.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Sobriquet posted:

This doesn't work for me on the "Camera" tab in the app. The album icon doesn't show up when selecting photos.

Same here, I have no 'album' icon to share to. Once something is posted to G+ I can COPY it to an existing album, but I see no option to post a fresh photo from my phone right to a selected album.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

brc64 posted:

I don't actually like the Hangouts app, and I definitely wouldn't want to use it for SMS. It always feels slow and clunky on my S3, and I really don't like the interface. For massaging, the Touchwiz SMS client suits my needs just fine. Second best messaging client would probably be Facebook Messenger for me (although I found using that for SMS to be downright confusing).

It's pretty odd to use, I don't really know what they were going for. Thankfully they kept the people app so I can pretty much use it like I did back in 4.3 - new texts to contacts go through the people app and for existing conversations I open the actual hangouts app. I still haven't figured out how to text a new number without adding it to my contacts though; typing it into the hangouts search field just searches my contacts and doesn't let me actually send an SMS.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
With regards to the new Hangouts, how do I save pictures received via MMS? A friend sent me a couple yesterday and while I can tap an image to fullscreen it, there's no prompt or menu option for me to save them. A few places online said to press the Menu button while the picture was full-screened, but those were Galaxy S devices and there's obviously no way to do that on my Moto X.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sobriquet posted:

Oh, for local files it looks out you'll need to go Share -> Picasa.

I use Auto-Upload so everything is already online for me.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Karthe posted:

With regards to the new Hangouts, how do I save pictures received via MMS? A friend sent me a couple yesterday and while I can tap an image to fullscreen it, there's no prompt or menu option for me to save them. A few places online said to press the Menu button while the picture was full-screened, but those were Galaxy S devices and there's obviously no way to do that on my Moto X.
Tap the picture again when it's up and a menu softkey will appear in the top-right.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Tap the picture again when it's up and a menu softkey will appear in the top-right.
I tried that too, figuring it would be similar to the Gallery app, but nothing appears. Maybe it's an issue with my phone?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Tunga posted:

Can you access your auto upload photos that are not also on your device? I can't for the life of me find them in the photos app. I can see the auto upload folder in the gallery app but can't delete any photos from there.
Am I missing something?

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

Tunga posted:

I auto-upload too, but I don't know where in the app to see all auto-uploaded photos. I can only get to "Highlights" which obviously leaves some of them out.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
So it appears as of Android 4.3 arriving on my S4 I can no longer revert Google Maps back to its original version which included Google Navigation.

The new Google Maps is loving horrible. No more follow-me view, you must have a destination address to functionally use it (instead of it just letting it navigate while you drive), it crashes all the time, no more multi-destination options... its current version is vastly worse than the original.

Are there any other good free navigation alternatives that include a follow-me view like the old version of Google Maps/Navigation used to?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Karthe posted:

I tried that too, figuring it would be similar to the Gallery app, but nothing appears. Maybe it's an issue with my phone?
Tapping the picture from Hangouts takes me to a black screen with just that image and Android's status bar. Tapping the picture again makes an action bar appear with a left arrow and the sender's picture on the left, and the three dots on the right. Double-tapping zooms in and I can also pinch zoom. That's on a Nexus 5. What do you get?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Tapping the picture from Hangouts takes me to a black screen with just that image and Android's status bar. Tapping the picture again makes an action bar appear with a left arrow and the sender's picture on the left, and the three dots on the right. Double-tapping zooms in and I can also pinch zoom. That's on a Nexus 5. What do you get?
Tapping on a picture brought up the image in full screen mode with no visible action bar. Tapping on the image had no effect, I had to tap the Android Back button to return to Hangouts. Don't sweat it, I rolled the app back to the most recent 1.2 release available to me via the Play Store. I'll just wait for the 2.0 update to make it to me through official channels.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Sobriquet posted:

I auto-upload too, but I don't know where in the app to see all auto-uploaded photos. I can only get to "Highlights" which obviously leaves some of them out.

I think you and me both got confused by that highlights stuff. I just took some test photos of my living room and while it does select a few photos to show I can still see all photos I took when I click on the arrow next to them.

Edit: Also, Auto awesome made a panorama shot out of the pics I took of my room. This poo poo owns.

bronin fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 11, 2013

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
I'm using my girlfriend's old Kindle Fire and since Amazon's App Store is terrible, I need to sideload some APKs to make it more useful.

Can someone please tell me what folder I need to navigate to (using ES File Explorer) on my Nexus 5 so that I can copy them from the phone? Are they all stored in the same place?

edit: nvm, I need to be rooted.

Venkmanologist fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 11, 2013

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Cruseydr posted:

I am pretty sure you could use Tasker to do this, it has a task for running shell commands.

Yeah, that works. Had to buy a plugin though. Why is tasker always the kludgey answer for everything Android?

PSA: the beta of better battery stats available on XDA works on 4.4. Wakelockposting can resume.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Karthe posted:

Tapping on a picture brought up the image in full screen mode with no visible action bar. Tapping on the image had no effect, I had to tap the Android Back button to return to Hangouts. Don't sweat it, I rolled the app back to the most recent 1.2 release available to me via the Play Store. I'll just wait for the 2.0 update to make it to me through official channels.

Depending on your phone, it might have a different gallery app set to open by default. Find the default gallery app in the apps tab of settings, and then click on the "reset defaults" button. This should force your phone to ask which gallery app to open the hangout picture with. Choose the stock android gallery or Google+ Photos, instead of whatever app doesn't have the save feature.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

bronin posted:

I think you and me both got confused by that highlights stuff. I just took some test photos of my living room and while it does select a few photos to show I can still see all photos I took when I click on the arrow next to them.

Edit: Also, Auto awesome made a panorama shot out of the pics I took of my room. This poo poo owns.

Ah, OK. I think I have it figured out. I was expecting some photos I took recently to show up in there, but didn't see them. I think the difference is those were taken "through" hangouts instead of going to the camera directly.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Nova Launcher has a new beta out that has most of the KitKat theme features (but no "OK Google" sadly). Just do an update check and include beta versions.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

a shameful boehner posted:

So it appears as of Android 4.3 arriving on my S4 I can no longer revert Google Maps back to its original version which included Google Navigation.

The new Google Maps is loving horrible. No more follow-me view, you must have a destination address to functionally use it (instead of it just letting it navigate while you drive), it crashes all the time, no more multi-destination options... its current version is vastly worse than the original.

Are there any other good free navigation alternatives that include a follow-me view like the old version of Google Maps/Navigation used to?

What version of Maps do you have? I tried it on the way home tonight and it followed me just fine. I have 7.4.0.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

hooah posted:

What version of Maps do you have? I tried it on the way home tonight and it followed me just fine. I have 7.4.0.

How do you set it to "follow me"?

In the old Navigation app, I would just click that and then click "Map" and it would show the street I was driving on and upcoming cross streets with the little blue directional arrow, even without a destination defined. I don't see any way to trigger similar functionality in the new Maps unless I first provide a street address, which I don't always want to do. That's what I'm talking about.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

a shameful boehner posted:

How do you set it to "follow me"?

In the old Navigation app, I would just click that and then click "Map" and it would show the street I was driving on and upcoming cross streets with the little blue directional arrow, even without a destination defined. I don't see any way to trigger similar functionality in the new Maps unless I first provide a street address, which I don't always want to do. That's what I'm talking about.

Right, I know the behavior you want. You hit the thing that looks like a compass rose, which should be in the bottom right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone have a recommendation for a nice, basic TV listings app? Every one I've tried has had a ton of extra features (which is nice), but I really just want a basic "I can click on this to see what's playing" app, not something to track favorite series or anything special.

• Locked thread