Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Low key diss towards Amy's Baking Company.

Also, whoever gave me the idea of going in circles around the gym in Lumiose (by holding left or right) to hatch eggs, bless you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Alright, so I've gotten my 5 IV Vaporeon now for my team. Next breeding project will be Aggron. It's going to serve half as a tank and half as set up, and will be Mega for the extra ridiculous defense.

I'm still having a ton of trouble coming up with the last four Pokemon for my team. I keep wanting to use rock and water types, but I don't want to wind up with a team that has too many common weaknesses. I've thought about using Nidoking because it's loving awesome and I've always wanted to use one, but beyond that I don't know. I'm thinking a Technician Scizor would be a great addition, but I'll probably need something to serve as a decent special sweeper. Noibat is another one I was looking at but I'm not sure how to effectively use it.

This team is less "official ranked tournament competitive" type, more for fun against my friends while still being able to absolutely dominate them.

E: I've also thought about putting together a decent Starmie to go with Aggron and Scizor for Battle Maison and Institute, but I'd need a Ditto Friend Safari for that.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Got a 5 iv wonder traded Protean Froakie and with pokemiles, pokerus and power items I have a level 50 fully EV trained in under an hour.

This loving game.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

WalrusWhiskers posted:

The trainers in the battle Maison say funny things

Even pokemon knows that lolcats is dumb.

There's also a maid who talks in 1337speak before the battle and then just says she hates her job when you beat her.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Man, breeding seems to have a lot if differing information. I read earlier that the parent will pass down 5 out of 12 stats for certain. And that for them to perfect 31, the guy in Kiloude has to say "outstanding"

Welllll I have two 5 IV parents in the day care and one offspring is getting "superior" and only reading off three stats. Wouldn't the Destiny Knot mean, with two 5 IV parents, that the child would have at least 4 31s?

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

So I've been using GTS to get evolved pokemon that evolve through trade like Haunter and Graveler, and then I trade my Boldore and the guy gives me their Boldore with an Everstone on it. drat you random internet person!

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

endlosnull posted:

So I've been using GTS to get evolved pokemon that evolve through trade like Haunter and Graveler, and then I trade my Boldore and the guy gives me their Boldore with an Everstone on it. drat you random internet person!

I thought about doing this, glad to know I wasn't the only one! :v:

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

noirstronaut posted:

Man, breeding seems to have a lot if differing information. I read earlier that the parent will pass down 5 out of 12 stats for certain. And that for them to perfect 31, the guy in Kiloude has to say "outstanding"

Welllll I have two 5 IV parents in the day care and one offspring is getting "superior" and only reading off three stats. Wouldn't the Destiny Knot mean, with two 5 IV parents, that the child would have at least 4 31s?

Takes the bad IV from each of the two parents, one other is random. Also, superior is in reference to the total IVs, not any individual ones. The ones he lists off are the highest one(s) and if he ends his sentence with "stats like those, they can't be beat!" then they are 31.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Did hidden ability Klink/Klang/Klinklang ever get officially released in B/W/2? I want to use my gear pal eventually but I'd like an ability that isn't crap.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

The beginning comment he makes is about the sum of IV points. "Outstanding" means you have a high IV point total. If you have a 31 IV he'll say "These stats can't be beat!" after he lists all of them

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

noirstronaut posted:

Parents:
Male - 23/31/31/22/15/8
Female - 31/13/5/31/31/31

Assume one parent holds the destiny knot.

You will get a random 5 pulled from the two parents combined, with at least one coming from each parent.

You COULD get a set that looks like:

x(random)/31(male)/31(male)/31(female)/31(female)/31(female)

or

31(female)/31(male)/x/31(female)/31(female)/31(female)

etc.

But you could just as easily get one with:

23(male)/13(female)/5(female)/x(random)/15(male)/8(male)

Ignore Outstanding etc. Just look at the stats he says. If he says them and then says "Can't be beat!" it means they're 31. If he then says one or more are bad, then those stats are 0.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

LAY-ZX posted:

There's also a maid who talks in 1337speak before the battle and then just says she hates her job when you beat her.

I like the business guy who just goes "Owned, suckah!" when he beats you.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

noirstronaut posted:

Low key diss towards Amy's Baking Company.

Also, whoever gave me the idea of going in circles around the gym in Lumiose (by holding left or right) to hatch eggs, bless you.

What, holding left or right? Please. Learn to make your money work for you.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

mastajake posted:

Parents:
Male - 23/31/31/22/15/8
Female - 31/13/5/31/31/31

Assume one parent holds the destiny knot.

You will get a random 5 pulled from the two parents combined, with at least one coming from each parent.

You COULD get a set that looks like:

x(random)/31(male)/31(male)/31(female)/31(female)/31(female)

or

31(female)/31(male)/x/31(female)/31(female)/31(female)

etc.

But you could just as easily get one with:

23(male)/13(female)/5(female)/x(random)/15(male)/8(male)

Ignore Outstanding etc. Just look at the stats he says. If he says them and then says "Can't be beat!" it means they're 31. If he then says one or more are bad, then those stats are 0.

So, in short, if the two parents have 31 in one stat, it could take up two "slots" out of the five inherited because it took it from both parents?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

It seems like a dime would both fit better AND be more cost-efficient.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
When breeding a genderless Pokemon with a Ditto (like Rotom :v:), does the Rotom count as the male or the female for the purpose of IV inheritance? I'm assuming female, given that it's determining the species, but I'd like to be sure.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Strange Quark posted:

I use one of those paper holder things and put it on the dpad like a civilized business man. :colbert:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

LAY-ZX posted:

It seems like a dime would both fit better AND be more cost-efficient.

I do use a dime, but I only had a picture of a quarter handy. :ssh:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

noirstronaut posted:

So, in short, if the two parents have 31 in one stat, it could take up two "slots" out of the five inherited because it took it from both parents?

No. It will only take one HP stat, one Attack stat, etc. But even with two 5-perfect IV parents (and thus 1 non-perfect IV stat each) there is a chance to have a kid with only 3 perfect IVs (took the bad stats from each parent and then the random one).

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Added to the OP.

Hammerite posted:

Which hold items affect breeding, and how?

First things first: when you breed two Pokémon together and neither is holding an item, the game decides the Nature and IVs of each egg as follows. The Nature is chosen randomly from among the 25 different possible Natures. Three of the six stats (HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed) are chosen at random, and the egg's IV in each of those three stats will be inherited from the parents. Each one may be inherited from either parent; the game could take them all from one parent, or it could take two from one parent and one from the other. Each of the remaining three IVs is randomly generated, as though by rolling a 32-sided die.

Not counting Incense, there are 8 hold items that have an effect on Pokémon breeding. They are:
  • Everstone
  • Destiny Knot
  • the 6 "power items" (Power Weight, Power Bracer, Power Belt, Power Lens, Power Band and Power Anklet).
You can get an Everstone and a Destiny Knot from NPCs somewhere in Kalos (just talk to everybody); if you lose the one you were given, however, you can get more. Everstones are occasionally held by wild Roggenrola and Boldore; Destiny Knot is sometimes given to you by Beauties that hang out in Lumiose City's side streets, after you defeat them in battle. (There are two or three different Beauties that may appear; the one who gives out Destiny Knots is the one who talks about her partner vanishing.) The power items are not given to you during the game; you can buy them from the Battle Maison for 16 BP each.

Everstone causes the parent to pass its Nature down to the egg. That is, instead of having a randomly generated Nature, the egg will be guaranteed to have the same Nature as the parent holding the Everstone. (If each parent is holding an Everstone, then every time an egg is generated, the game will choose one of them to work; the other parent will be treated as though it were not holding an item.)

Destiny Knot causes five IVs to be passed down from the parents, instead of the usual three. Each of the five IVs to be passed down may come from either parent; they do not necessarily come from the parent holding the Destiny Knot. The sixth IV is randomly generated in the usual way. (If each parent is holding a Destiny Knot, then the second Destiny Knot has no effect.)

A power item ensures that the parent holding it will pass down to the egg its IV in the corresponding stat. That is, the 3 (or 5, if the other parent is holding a Destiny Knot) stats passed down will always include the stat corresponding to the power item in use, and that stat will always come from the parent holding the power item. The other 2 (or 4) passed-down stats may come from either parent, and the remaining stats will still be randomly determined in the usual way.

Important: If each parent is holding a power item, then only one of the two power items will work. This holds whether the parents are holding two of the same power item, or two different power items. Every time an egg is generated, the game will choose one of the two parents at random, and that parent's power item will work; the other parent will be treated as though it were not holding an item. (Its IV in the stat corresponding to the held power item may still be passed down by chance, assuming of course that the parents are not holding two of the same power item.)

Each of these 8 items also has a use outside of breeding. The power items may be used for EV training Pokémon in the corresponding stat. The Everstone stops a Pokémon from trying to evolve. The Destiny Knot has an in-battle effect, but it's not a very good one and can safely be ignored in favour of virtually any other item with an in-battle effect. (It causes an opposing Pokémon that infatuates your Pokémon to likewise become infatuated.)

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

absolutely anything posted:

Did hidden ability Klink/Klang/Klinklang ever get officially released in B/W/2? I want to use my gear pal eventually but I'd like an ability that isn't crap.

I dunno about in B/W, but they're in the Friend Safari so you can get them that way.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

mastajake posted:

No. It will only take one HP stat, one Attack stat, etc. But even with two 5-perfect IV parents (and thus 1 non-perfect IV stat each) there is a chance to have a kid with only 3 perfect IVs (took the bad stats from each parent and then the random one).

I'm still kinda confused. Doesn't the Destiny Knot pass down 5 IVs? If there are 12 and a total 10 of those are 31s, 6 per bred Pokemon, 5 passed down out of the 12, two slacking stats, 2 missing per Poke, wouldn't the least be 4? I kinda get it if one HAS to be random, but wouldn't that just be the 6th stat?

e: Never mind; I'm dumb.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
I'm having way too much fun with Impostor Ditto and Mega Venusaur in Battle Spot Free Battle :3: I really wish it would display nicknames though, they are Wildcard and Rex (also Rex is my ingame Venusaur and has garbage EVs and who knows what IVs, I don't even know his nature offhand.)

JHWG-WWWW-WWW2-N4PP I didn't realize Ditto wouldn't be leveled up to 50 here but decided to try it anyway
V29G-WWWW-WWW2-ZPHE
8NMW-WWWW-WWW2-ZPHZ
N5HW-WWWW-WWW2-ZPK9

It really surprises me how people don't understand type matchups for Pokémon that are in their own party that Mewtwo X trying to hit my Doublade Zweihander with a fighting move when they have an Aegislash of their own :psyduck:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

absolutely anything posted:

Yes, they can be found in the Dream World when playing using a BW2 game card.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
What's the BP scaling like in Super singles? Does it cap?

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

endlosnull posted:

If it makes you feel better, wild Boldore have a 50% shot of holding an Everstone, so whoever trading it to you was probably just inattentive rather than malicious.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Voltin Bolt posted:

It really surprises me how people don't understand type matchups for Pokémon that are in their own party

Pokemon is a pretty popular game among children :ssh:

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Zahki posted:

Pokemon is a pretty popular game among children :ssh:
So? I've played Pokémon since Blue and even then I knew better than to try to hit a Ghost with Fighting moves, especially if it was a Pokémon I'd raised myself and understood the matchups for. It's not like they could have Pokégen'd their party and not known how they work, they had to have manually raised them.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Voltin Bolt posted:

I'm having way too much fun with Impostor Ditto and Mega Venusaur in Battle Spot Free Battle :3: I really wish it would display nicknames though, they are Wildcard and Rex (also Rex is my ingame Venusaur and has garbage EVs and who knows what IVs, I don't even know his nature offhand.

People would almost certainly try to deceive each other with misleading nicknames.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Lizard Wizard posted:

People would almost certainly try to deceive each other with misleading nicknames.

I think it has more to do with hiding any potential names that slip through their profanity filter.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
It shows nicknames if you battle random passersby from PSS though, so I don't really understand them being hidden on Battle Spot. It makes it seem like a really arbitrary restriction.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I wish the GTS gave you a bit more control over it. Setting up trades over forums and stuff tend to be a hassle but you can't specify shininess, hidden ability or items over GTS. I've had at least one guy give me a kadabra with an everstone for my kadabra.

EDIT:

Voltin Bolt posted:

So? I've played Pokémon since Blue and even then I knew better than to try to hit a Ghost with Fighting moves, especially if it was a Pokémon I'd raised myself and understood the matchups for. It's not like they could have Pokégen'd their party and not known how they work, they had to have manually raised them.

Not everyone remembers every pokemon's type would be my guess. There's like what, over 700 of the bloody things now? Some of them have misleading looks too.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 10, 2013

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Is there anything that doesn't go well with Space Jam? :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v6Kurn0HLk

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Nuebot posted:

I wish the GTS gave you a bit more control over it. Setting up trades over forums and stuff tend to be a hassle but you can't specify shininess, hidden ability or items over GTS. I've had at least one guy give me a kadabra with an everstone for my kadabra.

This especially seems to be true of Pokemon that need an item to evolve, such as Rhydon needing a Protector. Seems like a lot of people put Rhydons with Protectors up behind a legendary wall or request Rhyperior so that someone doesn't give them a Rhydon with no item for it. There was one guy with a Rhydon holding a Protector that was requesting a level 61-70 Rhydon, probably so if someone wanted to be an rear end and give him a Rhydon with no item, they'd have to waste a bunch of time leveling one up to do it. I just got tired of dealing with that hassle and asked a friend of mine to get online so I could get one through him.

But yeah it would be nice if they could let you request a particular held item for stuff like that.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I love Espeon's pokedex entry in Y:

quote:

Its fur is so sensitive, it can feel minute shifts in the air and predict the weather...and its foes' thoughts.

It's just so menacing!

A Pretentious Owl
Mar 31, 2011

EB: it is true, it is a fact from an alien.
I can't speak of its accuracy, but I just saw a post on Tumblr saying that Shinies are guaranteed to eventually appear in Friend Safaris if you lead with a Pokemon with Illuminate, and continue to use O-Powers while in there, and you don't leave that Safari until you do. Apparently the music speeds up the closer you are to getting a shiny? It could totally be bullshit, but people are talking about seeing shinies in Friend Safaris with surprising frequency, so I guess it could never hurt to try/listen and see if the music does, indeed, speed up after a while.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

A Pretentious Owl posted:

I can't speak of its accuracy, but I just saw a post on Tumblr saying that Shinies are guaranteed to eventually appear in Friend Safaris if you lead with a Pokemon with Illuminate, and continue to use O-Powers while in there, and you don't leave that Safari until you do. Apparently the music speeds up the closer you are to getting a shiny? It could totally be bullshit, but people are talking about seeing shinies in Friend Safaris with surprising frequency, so I guess it could never hurt to try/listen and see if the music does, indeed, speed up after a while.

You can also get Mew is you use strength on the Truck

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Pretty sure the only thing in the game with changing music is while using the poke radar. Has anyone on projectpkm found out what the tempo change while chaining means? People are saying things like if you get 3 encounters in a row then the 4th will be a shiny during the music change but that's probably just pure luck.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

A Pretentious Owl posted:

I've found two shinies in the safari so far and this sounds like bullshit to me. I wasn't doing anything special and there was no sort of indicator that they might show up. I do think it's a flat increase in odds in there though.

The first was in a Bug safari, I went in with a Modest Synchronize Ralts because I wanted a male Venomoth for breeding purposes and the very first thing that popped out was shiny Masquerain (not Modest but 3v so that was nice!)

Then a day or two ago I was running around endlessly in a Water safari trying to get a female Protean Frogadier and my husband joked that I'd get a shiny Floatzel before that happened. Welp. Eventually I just went and evolved an Eevee into Sylveon to have Cute Charm and attract females, because that was too ridiculous. :v:

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Pretty sure the only thing in the game with changing music is while using the poke radar. Has anyone on projectpkm found out what the tempo change while chaining means? People are saying things like if you get 3 encounters in a row then the 4th will be a shiny during the music change but that's probably just pure luck.
I think maybe the music changes on certain numbers of the chain, say, every 5 or so? I've had the music change a few times and found no shinies whatsoever through chaining in G6 yet. I've also heard speculation that it means your legendary bird is nearby but that's probably not right (though I'm sort of wondering if using the radar attracts them, I see Zapdos more often than not if I've just ended a chain.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!
Blacklisting Zetta for not only ignoring status clause, but evasion clause as well. I don't care if this isn't Smogon or Showdown but if you're going to toxic multiple guys and then use sand veil and maybe? bright powder Garchomp you aren't worth battling imo.

• Locked thread