Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.

I had Spanish Emperor named The Dragon. I thought it was because he won so many holy wars. I guess he actually got it because he murdered his brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet
Does the Customizer DLC let you rename everyone in your dynasty, or only your grandchildren? In my current game I was editing my save after every session to give absolutely everyone a name of my choosing, but that became untenable after I had around 400 house members (and it jumped to 500 after a few in-game years).

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Happy Fun Bollocks posted:

Does the Customizer DLC let you rename everyone in your dynasty, or only your grandchildren? In my current game I was editing my save after every session to give absolutely everyone a name of my choosing, but that became untenable after I had around 400 house members (and it jumped to 500 after a few in-game years).

I think it lets your rename anyone of your dynasty born in your court when they're born. I don't think you can go back and rename your failed son 'Dumbo' after he screws up, for example.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Fintilgin posted:

I think it lets your rename anyone of your dynasty born in your court when they're born. I don't think you can go back and rename your failed son 'Dumbo' after he screws up, for example.

That's correct (but even just that was useful if you're as addicted to stacking monarch names as I am! I think I was up to Queen Svanhild VIII by the time my Sweden game ended.)

Tom Smykowski posted:

What's it take to form the Holy Roman Empire? In my current game from the Old Gods start, a bunch of Karlings died slipping on banana peels or something which left Burgundy controlling most of the Karling lands. They formed the Empire of Francia which collapses every decade or so and then comes back together, usually splitting into Burgundy and West Francia when it happens.

But in this last split, a tiny Holy Roman Empire popped up. The Emperor holds the title for the Kingdom of Lothgaria and 1 county. He only controls about 1/2 of the de jure kingdom.

So now I have a scrappy lil Holy Roman Empire duking it out. I'm actually rooting for them for once.

This is adorable-- I hope things work out for the baby Holy Roman Empire! It never formed in my only TOG start game. :(

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Koramei posted:

I'm just getting back into CK2 after not playing it for a year. I saw that Wiz stopped updating CK2+; is the continuation project for it still the thing to use? Or is there a different mod now (or do people just play vanilla now)?

CK2+ is still the go to mod, although Vanilla is much much better than it used to be in my opinion.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Rincewind posted:

That's correct (but even just that was useful if you're as addicted to stacking monarch names as I am! I think I was up to Queen Svanhild VIII by the time my Sweden game ended.)

There really needs to be a mod for naming dynasty members. I want to tell family and friends how good/horrible they are. Also, eight queens? That sounds like it'd be the stabbiest game.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Mailer posted:

There really needs to be a mod for naming dynasty members. I want to tell family and friends how good/horrible they are. Also, eight queens? That sounds like it'd be the stabbiest game.

Aw. This isn't in the customization DLC? I'm disappointed.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Mailer posted:

I was playing with the CK2+ gender equality mod, so I had even odds for getting a queen or king. My king names just ended up less stacked.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Welp, just saw Mordvin Rus reform the Suomenusko faith.

February 15, 1100

That dark green in most of Spain is the Kingdom of Valencia. Asturias is three provinces, one seperated from the others by Valencia. Aragon is having a civil war. Bavaria, normally stretching from Germany to Crimea, is having a civil war, it looks like, as is Croatia. For a long while, Bavaria and Croatia was held by the same guy, but I guess at some point somebody changed the succession laws of Croatia, because it suddenly became independent. Crimea is also having a civil war. Anatolia got grabbed by the Shi'a Caliph, but then there was a decadence revolt and it fell apart (using the Decadence Breakup mod, not quite certain how I feel about it), and then there was a crusade for Greece and Scotland got the land. Ruthenia, Rus and Perm are the big hitters up north and normally Crimea is ready to kick some rear end as well.

Ethiopia went Monophysite a while ago. The Shi'a got the Sunni Caliph in practically the very first battle, and therefore grabbed the massive Kingdom of Syria. They had thir decadence revolt, but as you can see, Sunni Islam is pretty much dead. There's still shreds of the Miaphysite Turks hanging around, but the only land they have is on the Arabian peninsula. The Kingdom of Georgia is Iconoclast, Ruthenia is busy converting to Orthodoxy, and Sicily and Burgundy/Tuscany are both ruled by Greek Orthodox. Holland was ruled by Dutch Orthodox last I checked, but looking at the religion map they might be Iconoclast now. Norway used to be part of Perm, but split in a civil war, but that's why half of it is Suomenusko. Speaking of, half the Suomenusko lands are Reformed, and the other half are Old. The West Africans are stubbornly refusing to convert (even though I keep sending priests over). I have no idea why Scandinavia is still mostly Norse, culturally even. I think there's been a super long civil war over there. Crimea went Catholic early on.

God drat are these ugly borders. The cost of a random world, I suppose.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

catlord posted:

(using the Decadence Breakup mod, not quite certain how I feel about it)
This sounds like a godsend for OG start games. I'm pretty tired of Muslim France. Where can I find it?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Can anyone tell me exactly how the connected to capital bonus works for merchant republics and whether it's WAD or not, because all the info I can find on it contradicts itself in game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Sindai posted:

This sounds like a godsend for OG start games. I'm pretty tired of Muslim France. Where can I find it?

Here you go.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

SpRahl posted:

CK2+ is still the go to mod, although Vanilla is much much better than it used to be in my opinion.

Not being able to plot the death of your own children is a real bummer for me.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Doesn't stop you from killing them.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Plotting to kill your own heirs is dumb and gamey as gently caress.

Also

Dauntasa posted:

Doesn't stop you from killing them.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SpRahl posted:

I don't think it's too far out of the realm of possibility that a king with an eldest son who is a literal drooling retard might have him smothered so that he doesn't destroy the kingdom.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

SpRahl posted:

Well I can't tell my heir to gently caress off to a monestary, so I have to resort to murdering.

e: Then again: Elective Succession. But after a certain point vassals will just start voting against you even at 100 positive relations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
No it's OK he's just going to live on a nice farm somewhere where he can run around all he wants.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Well I can't tell my heir to gently caress off to a monestary, so I have to resort to murdering.

e: Then again: Elective Succession. But after a certain point vassals will just start voting against you even at 100 positive relations.

You can still kill your children, you can pay an assassin or eat the kinslayer trait and have him executed. Put him in charge of the army or something or for something more gamey make him your chaplain and have him go convert heathens and probably get sacrificed.

Plotting is far to reliable and with little downside, especially since he is probably unlanded. Also I have problems with the fact that it is a "plot" Since I find it more likly the various nobles of the realm would want to put a weak willed and easy to manipulate person on the throne than to help their overbearing and bloodthirsty monarch to kill him.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 11, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Well not till SoA. (If you imprison them first):

Dev Diary posted:

Somewhat related to the Holy Orders, you now have the ability to order any courtier to take the vows and become a monk or nun. The character will then either become a regular monk or nun (traits), or go off to join one of the martial orders. Either way, he or she will be disinherited. Unfortunately, you are not allowed to do this against characters who stand to inherit titles (like younger sons under Gavelkind); unless you imprison them first!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Geokinesis posted:

Well not till SoA. (If you imprison them first):

I hope they code in ways for this to horribly backfire later on.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Imprison your son, make him take the vows. Twenty years later and you're about to die and hand off your kingdom to your magnificent, beautiful, brilliant daughter, and guess who climbed the ranks and made Pope? Now he bears a grudge against you and excommunicates you, your daughter, and pretty much everyone else who so much as looked at him funny when he was a kid. gently caress you, dad!!!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Newly reformed Rus' first act? Great Holy War and absorb Ruthenia. Rus is suddenly loving scary. Thank God I'm on islands in the Mediterranean (I may have to give up Mallorca and Menorca to the Aztecs, but I still have like, 100 years to worry about that).

Edit: and then the King of Scotland was able to grab Constantinople and form the Latin Empire, the first empire level title in my game to boot. He immediately moved his capitol to Constantinople, apparently because he was sick as gently caress of the British Isles and doing a bit of conquest was the best way to get out.

Edit2: How are Pikemen as a retinue? As an Italian, should I go for Pikes or one of the generic retinues?

catlord fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 11, 2013

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

catlord posted:

Newly reformed Rus' first act? Great Holy War and absorb Ruthenia. Rus is suddenly loving scary. Thank God I'm on islands in the Mediterranean (I may have to give up Mallorca and Menorca to the Aztecs, but I still have like, 100 years to worry about that).

Edit: and then the King of Scotland was able to grab Constantinople and form the Latin Empire, the first empire level title in my game to boot. He immediately moved his capitol to Constantinople, apparently because he was sick as gently caress of the British Isles and doing a bit of conquest was the best way to get out.

Edit2: How are Pikemen as a retinue? As an Italian, should I go for Pikes or one of the generic retinues?

My rule for retinues has always been

1) Horse archers
2) Cataphracts
3) other special units
4) everything else

This article describes each retinue. Pikemen look like they're a heavier defense unit with a morale bonus, which sounds pretty useful?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

catlord posted:

Pikemen retinues suck unless your general is of Italian culture, which allows him to use special Pikemen tactics that actually makes them pretty decent. I'd go for a core of Pikes with your levies filling out the flanks.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Pikemen retinues suck unless your general is of Italian culture, which allows him to use special Pikemen tactics that actually makes them pretty decent. I'd go for a core of Pikes with your levies filling out the flanks.

Scots also get pike retinues and special pike tactics. The Dutch are just hosed and should not use their pike/LI cultural retinues.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Cantorsdust posted:

My rule for retinues has always been

1) Horse archers
2) Cataphracts
3) other special units
4) everything else

How are Hussars?

Also, should I go pure of one type for my Retinue or somehow balance it? e.g. 100% Hussar, or 50% Hussar/50% Shock?

e: Thanks! I'll read that whole LP, it looks like a treasure trove of information as I haven't played a full game since pre-The Republic.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 11, 2013

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

catlord posted:

First, read this guide to troop types to understand what troop types you want, what types you don't, and why.

You almost always want your cultural retinues, because in most cases they're better than the best generic retinue, Shock. Moreover, you want to make sure you lead your retinue with a general of your culture, because there are special cultural tactics that improve the performance of your culture's favorite troop type. Oftentimes, this special cultural tactic is the entire reason you're using what would otherwise be an underperforming troop type (like the Scots +defense pikemen).

The exception is when you have +defense light cavalry or any sort of light infantry as your cultural retinue. Polish culture group Hussars, Arabian culture group Camel Warriors, and Ethiopean, Mande, and Dutch useless garbage are all worse than Shock retinues. The only light infantry retinue worth using is Aztec Jaguar Warriors (because they are +offense and half heavy infantry to boot). Longbowmen (Welsh and English +offense archers) and Caballeros (Spanish culture group +offense light cavalry) are kind of marginal; you'll either need to play around their weaknesses or mix them with generic Shock retinues.

This is for generic army fighting. If you want a specialized castle assault retinue for some reason, use generic Skirmish retinues, since they're the best castle assaulters outside of Longbowmen retinues. I don't usually bother, though. Cavalry and Defense retinues are so overspecialized and hypersituational as to be basically worthless.

alcaras posted:

How are Hussars?

Also, should I go pure of one type for my Retinue or somehow balance it? e.g. 100% Hussar, or 50% Hussar/50% Shock?

Hussars are one of the worst cultural retinues, and significantly worse than 100% Shock retinues. As a double whammy, the Hussar cultural building is also one of the worst; at least Mande and Ethiopians can boost the light infantry from castle levies. I would never make Hussar retinues, and would deem the Hussar cultural building to be one of the worst military castle buildings, second only to Militia Training Grounds.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 11, 2013

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Right, how about Irish retinues? I'm assuming defensive heavy inf is pretty good when you can't get horse archers

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Heavy Infantry is really good, even the defensive ones

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Well here's a sad tale for you. The Latin Empire. The King of Scotland (and all of Ireland, though he didn't take the title) kicked the most rear end in the First Crusade for Greece. He got some land around Constantinople, though he didn't get the city himself. He decided to change that. So he beat the Caliph himself and took the city, then declared himself the Latin Emperor. poo poo was awesome, but he died shortly afterwards and his son took over. I guess the Caliph had himself some trouble in the last war, because he came back swinging and took the city and all the poo poo around it back. So the Latin Empire was now Scotland and Ireland. A small peasant revolt starts, but after the Emperor comes of age it get squashed.

Then, a massive revolt breaks out. Two different groups are fighting the Emperor, a group to lower crown authority and a group to install someone else. The Emperor has practically nothing, but somehow the war is in his favour. I look away for a while. I look back and Scotland and Northern Ireland are a different colour. "Huh, that's odd," I think, "That looks like Wales." Then I look closer. It's the Swiss Company. The Latin Empire is the southern third of Ireland and the Aegean Islands. The middle third, between the Empire and the Swiss Company, is declaring an independence revolt. The Empire's capitol is in the Aegean Islands, about as far away from Ireland as he can get.

Cease to Hope posted:

First, read this guide to troop types to understand what troop types you want, what types you don't, and why.

Thanks. The problem here is I'm not so good at micro stuff, and I think my Marshal is often a different culture than I. For a super long time I had an Andalusian marshal, but he just died, I think my current is Italian.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Is there any way (beyond being stupid lucky and grabbing a massive empire) to hold on to Jerusalem? I've got a save ~1150 right before all hell breaks loose. Reloaded a few times but it seems inevitable that one giant muslim superpower decides to war for it, getting a 100% join rate with another muslim superpower. I need ~20k more men to win, and I'd have them if my "allies" didn't raise levies and then sit at home doing nothing because boats are hard. Do you just savescum assassinations until you can generate internal breakdowns to keep them at bay?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I finally had a bit more time to play this. In the old gods, could it be that paradox nerfed raiding big time? It seems to be a lot harder to get rich this way, especially ships don't seem to be able to transport a lot of loot anymore. I'm not sure if my memory isn't playing tricks on me, though.

My current ruler has the lustful trait and somehow when I successfully looted a province holding I always end up with young (< 30) female nobles as prisoners. Once the prisoner was a mother and I also captured like seven kids. That was a lot of ransom money. When my viking ruler finally died, through concubines he left such an ethnically diverse gaggle of children that already had children by themselves that the few small swedish provinces he ran were basically just full of nobles of the same dynasty.

I like to put in nobles of my dynasty in charge of provinces, but when they are somewhere in the line of succession this not rarely ends up in a civil war when they ultimately try to grab the title from my current ruler. I think it's gamey to murder them or not put them in charge, through. In case I get defeated by one of my relatives in such a war, is that a game over or do I get to play as them? If it's the latter, I am inclined to just let things run it's course in such cases to spice the game up a little.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Mailer posted:

Is there any way (beyond being stupid lucky and grabbing a massive empire) to hold on to Jerusalem? I've got a save ~1150 right before all hell breaks loose. Reloaded a few times but it seems inevitable that one giant muslim superpower decides to war for it, getting a 100% join rate with another muslim superpower. I need ~20k more men to win, and I'd have them if my "allies" didn't raise levies and then sit at home doing nothing because boats are hard. Do you just savescum assassinations until you can generate internal breakdowns to keep them at bay?

The best way to defend the Kingdom of Jerusalem, if you want to be gamey, is to use the boat bombing tactic to bait and crush the smaller muslim armies. It's also useful to do the reverse boat bomb tactic of dragging a massive doom stack away from holdings they've sieged so you can take them back again with another force. Often if you delay long enough, attrition will wear the opposing armies down, something else will go wrong in their holdings, or your allies will finally march all the way across Anatolia, and provide a bit of help.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
The best go I had at defending the Kingdom of Jerusalem was basically doing every goddamn thing I could. I stabbed a lot of heirs before going after the head guy to result in regency. I called every ally I could -I'd previously made a possibly gamey amount of marriage alliances, knowing what was coming.

I split my army into two and sent the larger half to attack my attacker's far away holdings as their doomstacks steam rolled through my land. As the doomstacks progressed, the other half of my army would go take back the land. Then as the final nail in the coffin, I lured their doomstack into battle by the sea to get the defensive bonus and boat bombed them with the rest of my army (plus a couple mercenary companies).

It was gamey and didn't really end my problems. After the war, because of my stabbings, the Sultan's realm fell into upheaval and each new ruler would attack me for something.

I tried it in another game and was attacked by an empire (forget which) and I managed a white peace without being too gamey. Then I swore fealty to the empire and took it over from the inside :getin:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mailer posted:

No, you pretty much summed it up. The Muslim empires will eventually attack or jihad you for Jerusalem, and European allies are slow and unreliable to help. On top of that, the Eastern hordes don't start all that far from Jerusalem, so unless the Muslim empires are really really strong, you'll have the Golden Horde or Ilkhanate on your doorstep before long. Even if you lose Jerusalem, though, you still got a boatload of prestige and piety from winning a crusade, and you can save up your strength for the inevitable crusade to take it back.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Man I really wish they would nerf Pagans, I love playing as them but I feel it's almost too easy to start conquering poo poo without too many penalties, yeah there's some dissenters here and there but they are weak. Money is plentiful and odin forbid you are playing as a catholic with pagans all around you.

Also looking forward to the new expansion, I'm curious how they are going to implement it as I don't think any one state had jews for any significant amount of time or that they had any power whatsoever. Should be interesting to have a Jewish Ireland or Norway though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Toadsniff posted:

Man I really wish they would nerf Pagans, I love playing as them but I feel it's almost too easy to start conquering poo poo without too many penalties, yeah there's some dissenters here and there but they are weak. Money is plentiful and odin forbid you are playing as a catholic with pagans all around you.

Also looking forward to the new expansion, I'm curious how they are going to implement it as I don't think any one state had jews for any significant amount of time or that they had any power whatsoever. Should be interesting to have a Jewish Ireland or Norway though.

ck2+ tones down pagans a fair bit, you might try it. In fact, it seems like more often than not the Great Heathen Army fails in it's conquest, they've been nerfed that much.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

SeaTard posted:

ck2+ tones down pagans a fair bit, you might try it. In fact, it seems like more often than not the Great Heathen Army fails in it's conquest, they've been nerfed that much.

In the three vanilla old gods games I have played (in which i wasnt involved in the invasion) the Great Heathen Army has never succeeded :(. I think my Norse are broken.

Toadsniff posted:

For a bit of a harder game you could try Erik the Heathen in 1066, although that knda goes into the other end of the difficulty spectrum where you need a healthy amount of luck to succeed.

quote:

Khazars man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Toadsniff posted:

Try starting in modern-day Russia. Dyre the Stranger, in Kiev at OG start, is one of the hardest, but playing in megaduke land in striking distance of the Khazars is going to be more of a challenge no matter who you pick.

• Locked thread