Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

Afrika Korps posted:

Trying to find an Asian crime film involving two or more hit men competing for some sort of hitman title. A few things I remember:

1) A multitude of grenades being tossed into a jail cell, killing the inmate (near the beginning).
2) Street shootout with antogonist wearing a bill clinton mask.
3) Some sort of diner scene involving a poison being showcased.
4) Also near the beginning, two competing hitmen are shown passing each other in a train station.

Johnnie To and Wai Ka-fai's Fulltime Killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

msinclair
Dec 17, 2010
Okay I've had this scene in my head all day and I can't for the life of me remember what movie it was from. One of the 'bad guys' comes home to find a man sitting on a chair in his living room with a gun (it's fairly dark). The guy with the gun says something like "Don't go after/hurt [Protagonists] or I will come back and kill you". I'm sure this scene has been in dozens of movies, but I'm fairly sure this was from a blockbuster released in the last two years or so.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Coucho Marx posted:

There's a movie I saw parts of, late at night maybe ten years ago. I want to say very late 70s or early 80s film going by the style. I don't remember a whole lot:

It takes place in some sort of (underground?) secret military research base. There weren't that many people in the base - the main guy, who I think was some sort of agent checking out weird occurrences, a grumpy old maintenance guy, a fat woman who ran the cafeteria or similar, and two scientists, a middle-aged woman and asian man. There might have been others but I don't remember them. They were researching two weird bodies stored in pods, I think they were infected with some sort of virus, or maybe they were being experimented on. They just called them John and Jane Doe. Anyway, stuff starts going wrong (it's a secret military research bases, of course something goes wrong), and the staff in the base start being killed. I think the ways they die were supposed to reflect their greatest fears (and it's funny I remember the death scenes best):

- The cafeteria lady has bee putting mousetraps in this ventilation hole, and eventually it catches something. She reaches in to get the trap, and a huge monster bursts out of the wall and kills her.
- The old guy starts hearing stuff down this hallway, thinks he sees something, and starts shooting at it with his shotgun. All the while, water from the pipes above is dripping on him. I think the main character is running up to him, trying to stop him, or save him, or something. Anyway, when he gets close, the guy explodes. Maybe it was the water? I wasn't sure even then.
- The male scientist I remember better. Something's gone really wrong with the bodies, they may have gotten out of their pods I think, so he goes into the room in a biosuit to find out what's happened. While he's in there, one of the bodies sneaks up on him, it looks all mutated and no longer human. Then he does the whole 'turn around slowly and scream when he sees the thing' and the camera cuts away as it presumably kills him.

The last scene I remember before turning it off is the main character breaking into the main control room with a fire hydrant. The other character, the female scientist, is still in there, and she thinks he's the monster before he gets in. That's all I saw.

Hannibal Rex posted:

That's 99% certain Shadowzone.

It is, thank you! No wonder I thought it was way older than 1990 - it looks terrible. Gonna find it straightaway!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Trying to find a movie where all I remember is one scene from it.

The movie had a politician die and someone else used a similar name to get voted into office.

I remember seeing a family walking towards a voting office and saying "who do we vote for again? Oh yah we always vote for (name here)."

I can't recall anything else about the movie but it was probably from the 80s or 90s.

EDIT: Never mind! Was Distinguished Gentleman.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 11, 2013

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ShaqDiesel posted:

Anyone recall an animated film from the late seventies or eighties in which the hero has to fight a creature which is essentially a shadow? For a while he can't do any damage but eventually begins to open gaping red wounds in the shadow somehow. Had a kind of D & D feel to it.

Was it this? Skip to 9 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn42A3CcOK8

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

msinclair posted:

Okay I've had this scene in my head all day and I can't for the life of me remember what movie it was from. One of the 'bad guys' comes home to find a man sitting on a chair in his living room with a gun (it's fairly dark). The guy with the gun says something like "Don't go after/hurt [Protagonists] or I will come back and kill you". I'm sure this scene has been in dozens of movies, but I'm fairly sure this was from a blockbuster released in the last two years or so.

Are you sure that isn't from Homeland, where the CIA director comes home to find the CIA killer, Peter, waiting for him, saying that if Brody does he'll come after him, because his job is killing bad guys?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I need help remembering one.

I know it is a European film. I remember a couple on a boat. The women meets someone when they dock. There is a scene in a restaurant with white lattice fencing in it. I don't remember much outside of that. I think they were on their honeymoon. I would guess it was from the 60s-70s.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 13, 2013

Mr. George Kaplan
Jan 4, 2010

I'm in the middle of a major business transaction here and--
Saw a trailer a ways back for an 80s Carrie rip-off where an angsty teen guy goes around causing havoc with his mind. Any ideas?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mr. George Kaplan posted:

Saw a trailer a ways back for an 80s Carrie rip-off where an angsty teen guy goes around causing havoc with his mind. Any ideas?

Probably Zapped

Mr. George Kaplan
Jan 4, 2010

Definitely not that. This was a horror movie. It may have been late 70s.

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
Fear No Evil, perhaps?

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Evilspeak?

Mr. George Kaplan
Jan 4, 2010

This is it! Thank you!

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Fat Lou posted:

I need help remembering one.

I know it is a European film. I remember a couple on a boat. The women meets someone when they dock. There is a scene in a restaurant with white lattice fencing in it. I don't remember much outside of that. I think they were on their honeymoon. I would guess it was from the 60s-70s.

Do you remember if it was black and white or not? I was thinking of Polanski's Knife in the Water, simply based off of the boat and the couple, but I don't remember about the restaurant offhand.

msinclair
Dec 17, 2010

therattle posted:

Are you sure that isn't from Homeland, where the CIA director comes home to find the CIA killer, Peter, waiting for him, saying that if Brody does he'll come after him, because his job is killing bad guys?

That's it! No wonder I couldn't figure it out.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

ClydeUmney posted:

Do you remember if it was black and white or not? I was thinking of Polanski's Knife in the Water, simply based off of the boat and the couple, but I don't remember about the restaurant offhand.
I was also thinking of Polanski, but Bitter Moon, which takes place on a boat with a couple on honeymoon.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

ClydeUmney posted:

SubponticatePoster posted:

I was also thinking of Polanski, but Bitter Moon, which takes place on a boat with a couple on honeymoon.

Neither of those are right. Don't know if it was black and white or not, but I have a suspicion it was. I know that the boat was docked for the most part of the movie. Also, I am pretty sure that it was on a river. I am going to guess it was French or Italian.

Edit: Just remember it. It was L'Atalante. I somehow completely misplaced the time it took place in.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 13, 2013

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Even though this has been answered for you, "The Fury" also kind of fits the bill although it's a brother/sister team. Also directed by DePalma and a fun watch.

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
I believe this movie came out in the early or mid 90's. It was a kid's movie. It featured two brothers that were a few years apart in age. I want to say the youngest was 8 or 9 and the oldest around 11 or 12. I think the parents might have been away but I'm not sure. Anyways, they had their friends over and a prank war was started between the older brother and his friends and the younger brother and his friends. I think it might have been a direct to TV movie.

Pendergast fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 15, 2013

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

This is going to be ridiculously vague, I'm warning you. I haven't posted before because I assumed no one could get it from my terrible description, but here goes.

I saw this movie on an airplane. It was on the way to China and I know for sure it had subtitles so, of course, chances are pretty high it's Chinese. The same flight also showed Firewall, so this was around 2006 or 2007. And since it's on an airplane it can't be that rare of a movie.

I barely remember it though. There was something about a couple, but there was a pretty heavy emphasis on shoes, for some reason. I recall a scene where a guy is just staring at this huge pile of shoes in this sequence which I remember as being very surreal and dream-like. Also there was some kind of angel? God, this is vague. This has been torturing me for years, though.

Calamity Brain fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 15, 2013

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

DetoxP posted:

There was something about a couple, but there was a pretty heavy emphasis on shoes, for some reason. I recall a scene where a guy is just staring at this huge pile of shoes. Also there was some kind of angel? God, this is vague. This has been torturing me for years, though.

Total long shot, but maybe Tony Takitani?

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

codyclarke posted:

Total long shot, but maybe Tony Takitani?

I don't think so, I flipped through it on youtube and I remember the movie I'm talking about having really weird surreal sequences. Weird thing to show on a plane.

Although I like Murakami so I might watch this anyways just to make sure.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

DetoxP posted:

I don't think so, I flipped through it on youtube and I remember the movie I'm talking about having really weird surreal sequences. Weird thing to show on a plane.

Although I like Murakami so I might watch this anyways just to make sure.

Yeah, definitely not surreal. Just thought it might've been it because of the lots of shoes thing. It's a great movie though, I highly recommend it!

Ibsen
Jun 20, 2006
I am Not.
There's a movie where towards the end, as some kind of act of come uppance or show superiority, in a setting like Central Park, one man pisses on another man.

For some reason I think of a slick character like Dennis Hopper or Christopher Walken doing it. Or was it Michael Douglas in Wall Street?

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

DetoxP posted:

This is going to be ridiculously vague, I'm warning you. I haven't posted before because I assumed no one could get it from my terrible description, but here goes.

I saw this movie on an airplane. It was on the way to China and I know for sure it had subtitles so, of course, chances are pretty high it's Chinese. The same flight also showed Firewall, so this was around 2006 or 2007. And since it's on an airplane it can't be that rare of a movie.

I barely remember it though. There was something about a couple, but there was a pretty heavy emphasis on shoes, for some reason. I recall a scene where a guy is just staring at this huge pile of shoes in this sequence which I remember as being very surreal and dream-like. Also there was some kind of angel? God, this is vague. This has been torturing me for years, though.

Could it be Re-Cycle by the Pang brothers? A lot of the parts fit: Chinese, 2006, subtitles, surreal, dream-like, angel. I don't specifically remember a pile of shoes but it wouldn't surprise me either.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Ok so I don't got much. I suddenly remembered this scene from a film where this guy is teaching some kind of game(i think a card game) to people and he is taking their money as he smiles and says "fun isn't it?". HELP.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Ibsen posted:

There's a movie where towards the end, as some kind of act of come uppance or show superiority, in a setting like Central Park, one man pisses on another man.

For some reason I think of a slick character like Dennis Hopper or Christopher Walken doing it. Or was it Michael Douglas in Wall Street?

I don't know the answer, but if you can stomach the insanity that had to go into this, you can consult the Pee Movie List (:nws:, probably). Behold the :stare:.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

A lot less certain, but it might have been Shadowzone too. If it is, there's a scene of the monster I'm thinking of at about 1:35 in the trailer.

Holy poo poo, I watched the whole movie and you're right! I got a few of the details wrong, but the general framework of the stuff in the movie compared to my memory is unmistakable. This has been bothering me for a decade. Thanks man, now let me see if I can solve yours.

Do you remember the dialect they were speaking?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

ApexAftermath posted:

Ok so I don't got much. I suddenly remembered this scene from a film where this guy is teaching some kind of game(i think a card game) to people and he is taking their money as he smiles and says "fun isn't it?". HELP.

It's the start of a film, isn't it? My guess is Ocean's 11

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Holy poo poo, I watched the whole movie and you're right! I got a few of the details wrong, but the general framework of the stuff in the movie compared to my memory is unmistakable. This has been bothering me for a decade. Thanks man, now let me see if I can solve yours.

Do you remember the dialect they were speaking?

Hannibal Rex posted:

I caught the end of a horror film on British cable in the mid-nineties. It took place in a castle or mansion, and I think it was a slasher where the usual handsome twenty-something "teenagers" get killed one by one. I only really remember a dark-haired guy in a memorable red satin shirt or similar, who was the killer and/or also the devil or a demon. I think he was monologueing at the end.

That's about all I have to go on. The shirt might have been silk, or something else, but I remembered it for some reason. He might have been the killer monologueing, or maybe a demon or the devil narrating the ending after everyone was already dead. No idea if there was a specific dialect. I don't think so.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Hannibal Rex posted:

That's about all I have to go on. The shirt might have been silk, or something else, but I remembered it for some reason. He might have been the killer monologueing, or maybe a demon or the devil narrating the ending after everyone was already dead. No idea if there was a specific dialect. I don't think so.

It's not Thir13en Ghosts is it? IIRC that ends with some monologue and he's wearing a red satin-like shirt. The rooms are kind of dungeon-like and the overall effect is a bit 'castle-like' too.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Nevermind guys, I think I figured it out. After googling dozens of combinations of "chinese" "shoe" "angel" and "movie," I think I've uncovered that it's some weird looking Taiwanese movie from 2006 called The Shoe Fairy. Thanks though, I think I'll give Tony Takitani a shot anywho.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

SybilVimes posted:

It's not Thir13en Ghosts is it? IIRC that ends with some monologue and he's wearing a red satin-like shirt. The rooms are kind of dungeon-like and the overall effect is a bit 'castle-like' too.

Nope. I saw it in the mid- or late nineties, before Thirteen Ghosts even came out, and the guys was definitely much younger than F. Murray Abraham.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Hannibal Rex posted:

Nope. I saw it in the mid- or late nineties, before Thirteen Ghosts even came out, and the guys was definitely much younger than F. Murray Abraham.

Some of the details of your movie are pretty similar to "The Redeemer" (aka "Class Reunion Massacre"). But that was from the 70's.

BillCarsn
May 20, 2010
Ok my brother and I have been trying to locate this one for about 3 years now.

1) We remember watching it late night about 1995-1997.
2) It was definitely an 80's genre (maybe sci-fi) film
3) The only scene we remember is the following:

- A desolate planet -- maybe a martian desert or post-apocalyptic Earth.
- The "hero" (a man) and a girl are in some kinda dune buggy out "searching"
- They get near a cave in the sand
- When they enter to explore they are captured

- The girl is held captive while the man has to run this weird obstacle course
- The cave "master" is some dude named (close to "Digdogger" but that's a Zelda memory mashup i think) and he is in some sort of chair with like 6 legs and he's all deformed with maybe an eye patch
- One of the obstacles the hero runs is a spinning wheel of blades

4) That's all we remember

Props to anyone who can help us out with this one!

I've thought of Mad Max but no dice.

BillCarsn
May 20, 2010
Here's another one I just thought of:

I think it's a dark comedy. Saw it in mid-nineties. Possibly an 80's movie.

All I remember is a dark night, there is a party going on in a mansion by a lake. The camera pans from the middle of the lake toward the lighted mansion. It turns out there is a huge octopus that comes out of the lake and kills some people inside the party. The odd thing is that the death scenes were all cardboard cutouts of the octopus, it grabbing people, and the waves are those saw-like cardboard cutouts moving back and forth in opposite timing (imagine watching an on-stage play with the water in two or three different spots being pulled left/right from someone behind the sides of the curtains). I'm certain the sound effects were over-done to make it extremely comedic.

Hope that rings with someone...

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

BillCarsn posted:

Ok my brother and I have been trying to locate this one for about 3 years now.

1) We remember watching it late night about 1995-1997.
2) It was definitely an 80's genre (maybe sci-fi) film
3) The only scene we remember is the following:

- A desolate planet -- maybe a martian desert or post-apocalyptic Earth.
- The "hero" (a man) and a girl are in some kinda dune buggy out "searching"
- They get near a cave in the sand
- When they enter to explore they are captured

- The girl is held captive while the man has to run this weird obstacle course
- The cave "master" is some dude named (close to "Digdogger" but that's a Zelda memory mashup i think) and he is in some sort of chair with like 6 legs and he's all deformed with maybe an eye patch
- One of the obstacles the hero runs is a spinning wheel of blades

4) That's all we remember

Props to anyone who can help us out with this one!

I've thought of Mad Max but no dice.

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone.

BillCarsn
May 20, 2010

Holy poo poo. Yep! Time watch it again.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank YOU!!!!!!!!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
This probably won't be too hard. One of those tip-of-the-tongue things. What's that 90's big budget hollywood movie that takes place in somewhat older times where the hero has to prove himself by going through some sort of wooden gauntlet that's raised above the ground on scaffolding or something? It's outdoors and it's a really hard gauntlet and very few can do it but he does it. This is like in the first act of the movie or something and isn't central to the plot. It's just an action beat.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

BillCarsn posted:

Here's another one I just thought of:

I think it's a dark comedy. Saw it in mid-nineties. Possibly an 80's movie.

All I remember is a dark night, there is a party going on in a mansion by a lake. The camera pans from the middle of the lake toward the lighted mansion. It turns out there is a huge octopus that comes out of the lake and kills some people inside the party. The odd thing is that the death scenes were all cardboard cutouts of the octopus, it grabbing people, and the waves are those saw-like cardboard cutouts moving back and forth in opposite timing (imagine watching an on-stage play with the water in two or three different spots being pulled left/right from someone behind the sides of the curtains). I'm certain the sound effects were over-done to make it extremely comedic.

Hope that rings with someone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTf25FJdGYI

High Spirits, around the 1 hour, 10 minutes mark.

codyclarke posted:

This probably won't be too hard. One of those tip-of-the-tongue things. What's that 90's big budget hollywood movie that takes place in somewhat older times where the hero has to prove himself by going through some sort of wooden gauntlet that's raised above the ground on scaffolding or something? It's outdoors and it's a really hard gauntlet and very few can do it but he does it. This is like in the first act of the movie or something and isn't central to the plot. It's just an action beat.

That scene is in about a dozen movies, but here's what I think it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsuPW_69uYc

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 17, 2013