Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kai Tave posted:

I kind of love his dorkiness more in light of the fact that he turns out to be a genetically engineered Übermensch...but he's still a huge dork. Even in the far future scientists don't have a cure for being a goon.

You realize that, in light of the broken people he works with in those two episodes, the genetic brain-genius treatment probably causes gooniness, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Did we ever end up actually getting to see Transparent Skull Guy or was that a total dicktease?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

kelvron posted:

And poor Ensign Kim, he's the Bashir of Voyager. Chasing the unobtainable women of the universe.

At least he got to die once.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I didn't dislike awkward early Bashir because he was bumbling and dorky, I disliked him because his pursuit of Jadzia was so far beyond creepy that it made me think "if this was a real person I would go out of my way to avoid being alone in a room with him."

He got way better though, I like him a lot now!

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

DemeaninDemon posted:

Future space ships will charge into battle blasting Holy Diver throughout the comm system. :regd10:

This sounds more like a Klingon thing.

FalseShockWorker
Jan 28, 2009
I like to imagine that Klingon opera is less "Carmen" opera, and more rock opera. Just bombastic lyrics and squiggly guitars. Live performances look like metal music videos from the 80s.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

FalseShockWorker posted:

I like to imagine that Klingon opera is less "Carmen" opera, and more rock opera. Just bombastic lyrics and squiggly guitars. Live performances look like metal music videos from the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE9YtatlXVE

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

That's about what I expect from Klingon metal.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Luigi Thirty posted:

That's about what I expect from Klingon metal.
Nothing says metal like a one-armed Klingon

Watching 'Warhead' right now, featuring the most awkward security officer in the world, Crewman Lang. Every time I see him, he looks unsure about what he should do with his hands, and like he forgot how to stand.

Good Idea: "Let's be cautious about beaming this unknown device onto Voyager, and put it in an engineering bay behind a level 10 forcefield"
Bad Idea: The engineering bay is 15 feet from the warp core. And the Doctor removes the forcefield so he can talk to this strange device.

Thank you 'Relativity' for helping me break through the wall. Onwards for more Bij.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FalseShockWorker posted:

The show totally needed a Klingon glamrock band. Maybe they'd continue the trend of taking human literature and slapping a Klingon label on it and all start rocking out to Bohemian Rhapsody, a "classic Klingon hit."

In all seriousness can you picture the Klingons in most episodes listening to anything but cliche biker music, given everyplace they go in the empire seems to be an unending bar brawl?

http://youtubedoubler.com/aOMp - I wish you could mute the left video by default, but you get the idea.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 10, 2013

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
They'd probably listen to really violent hardcore, the kind that's either straight-edge or Neo-Nazi and where every other lyric is 'blood' or 'honor'.

Wasn't Iggy Pop in DS9? Henry Rollins would make a perfect Klingon.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Count Chocula posted:

They'd probably listen to really violent hardcore, the kind that's either straight-edge or Neo-Nazi and where every other lyric is 'blood' or 'honor'.

Wasn't Iggy Pop in DS9? Henry Rollins would make a perfect Klingon.

He was a Vorta.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Count Chocula posted:

Henry Rollins would make a perfect Klingon.

"You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Count Chocula posted:

Henry Rollins would make a perfect Klingon.

No way man, that is a Cardassian.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
This thread is now Cardassian-chat.

Hottest Cardassian guest star: Tracy Scoggins. :stare: dat neck :stare:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

God, Seven sounds like a 9/11 truther in The Voyager Conspiracy rattling off events and stardates. She might as well be Alex Jones rattling on about nanothermite hulls and how the Caretakers run the galaxy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

God, Seven sounds like a 9/11 truther in The Voyager Conspiracy rattling off events and stardates. She might as well be Alex Jones rattling on about nanothermite hulls and how the Caretakers run the galaxy.

IIRC, Seven was meant to be loopy in that episode.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Vagabundo posted:

Was that the one where her nano Borg bugs started making her go all crazy?

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

DemeaninDemon posted:

Was that the one where her nano Borg bugs started making her go all crazy?

Ah, the Plot Microbes

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Yes, but neither Janeway nor Chakotay were under the influence, yet completely believed her. What's their excuse?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

LeafyOrb posted:

Yes, but neither Janeway nor Chakotay were under the influence, yet completely believed her. What's their excuse?

Bad writing?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Vagabundo posted:

Fantastic engineer though.

Sure, on the NIGHT shift.

Otisburg posted:

Did we ever end up actually getting to see Transparent Skull Guy or was that a total dicktease?

Captain Boday? No, Kira was too closeminded to go out with him OR the guy with the middle eye. What a spacist.

Phy posted:

He wouldn't even need the prosthetic neck pieces. Jesus. "The Federation is crumbling man! And do you know why? INFORMATION OVERLOAD! As a society they're drowning in a quagmire of holosuites, simulations and com messages! They can't absorb it all! There's only one sane solution... FIVE LIGHTS!!!"

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

LeafyOrb posted:

I was gonna make a comment earlier about how Loopy Seven would be more impactful if they didnt write the characters completely bonkers every other episode anyway, then I realized how comparatively consistently Seven was written and the real loopy writing was saved for everybody else, especially Chakotay and Janeway.

So in that sense the episode is astoundingly well written.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

One of my favorite bands, a Swedish power metal band, sings almost exclusively about World War II and seems to enjoy writing music about fatalistic last stands, civilian uprisings, and heroic triumphs against slim odds.

I like to think Klingons would enjoy it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sash! posted:

One of my favorite bands, a Swedish power metal band, sings almost exclusively about World War II and seems to enjoy writing music about fatalistic last stands, civilian uprisings, and heroic triumphs against slim odds.

I like to think Klingons would enjoy it.

Sabaton?

Sometimes I put on 40:1 when I feel like I need a song that will help me feel like I could punch a hole in a concrete wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GmjeVrLEbA

And yeah that poo poo is pretty Qu'pla.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Phy posted:

Are we looking at the same photo? That face says "Today is a good day to die."

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

showbiz_liz posted:

I didn't dislike awkward early Bashir because he was bumbling and dorky, I disliked him because his pursuit of Jadzia was so far beyond creepy that it made me think "if this was a real person I would go out of my way to avoid being alone in a room with him."

He got way better though, I like him a lot now!

I disliked early Bashir because Siddig was a bad actor then. That scream from Move Along Home...

FalseShockWorker posted:

I like the idea of Klingons having uncharacteristically Carmen-like opera.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Otisburg posted:

Sabaton?

Sometimes I put on 40:1 when I feel like I need a song that will help me feel like I could punch a hole in a concrete wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GmjeVrLEbA

And yeah that poo poo is pretty Qu'pla.

Yeah, that's the one.

40:1, Coat of Arms, Panzerkampf, Aces in Exile, Saboteurs, and Screaming Eagles, you know Klingons would be all over those ones.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

With all this music talk, I'm pretty sure Vulcans would really enjoy Einstürzende Neubauten. Well, "enjoy."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gau posted:

Are we looking at the same photo? That face says "Today is a good day to die."

That's a face which says "IT'S A FUCKIN' FAAAAAAAAAAKE, MAN"

The hot-bloodedest Romulan.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Henry Rollins is the living proof of the reveal in the Chase, truly he is all Trek humanoid species in one body.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Rollins actually kind of looks like my dad, it's pretty loving weird to watch his Big Think videos and be constantly reminded of my father.

The only difference is Rollins doesn't make awkward sexual references then chuckle loudly to himself.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Q and the Gray, so far, is basically just John Delancie pulling elaborate How I Met Your Mother-level playbook PUA poo poo to try to get Janeway pregnant. With the added "benefit" of a jealous girlfriendQ. On a scale of hologram clown monster to lizard sex, I rate this Voyager episode approximately space spermjack.

I am experiencing bij.

edit: seriously, how do you get lazy enough to write an almost literal Deus Ex Machina into your plot and have that be one of the least lazy things about your episode? Aaaaagghhh

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 11, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bicyclops posted:

The Q and the Gray, so far, is basically just John Delancie pulling elaborate How I Met Your Mother-level playbook PUA poo poo to try to get Janeway pregnant. With the added "benefit" of a jealous girlfriendQ. On a scale of hologram clown monster to lizard sex, I rate this Voyager episode approximately space spermjack.

I am experiencing bij.

edit: seriously, how do you get lazy enough to write an almost literal Deus Ex Machina into your plot and have that be one of the least lazy things about your episode? Aaaaagghhh
The Q stuff on Voyager is generally bad. I think he makes at least four appearances. The best one is the one with the Q who commits suicide (because Riker is in it).

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

(because Riker is in it).

...Frakes is in every modern Trek series. Oh god.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

The Equinox 2-parter is Janeway's "You betrayed your uniform!" moment. It was found wanting. Her characterization was all wrong for a science nerd-turned-stranded Captain. So what else is new? Kathryn just had to hunt her Ransom.

:bij:

At least Chakotay actually showed some backbone, and some appropriate characterization. Disobeying orders and saving that Equinox crewman? Perfectly in line with a reluctant rebel.

Henry Rollins is definitely a Klingon. I think he'd be well at home drinking blood wine and head butting people.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Touch my skull! Touch my skull!" :black101:

:what: :rimshot:

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Just finished up season 4 in my first complete DS:9 watch-through.

You guys weren't kidding about the uptick in quality when Sisko goes goatee and Worf joins.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

kelvron posted:

The Equinox 2-parter is Janeway's "You betrayed your uniform!" moment. It was found wanting. Her characterization was all wrong for a science nerd-turned-stranded Captain. So what else is new? Kathryn just had to hunt her Ransom.

:bij:

At least Chakotay actually showed some backbone, and some appropriate characterization. Disobeying orders and saving that Equinox crewman? Perfectly in line with a reluctant rebel.

Sfdebris is reviewing Equinox at the moment, coincidence?

Janeway just irritated me to hell in that episode. Yes Captain badman was in the wrong completely, but the complete lack of understanding or compassion is striking when compared to the many horrid decisions in her time and their huge ramifications.

Also, abandoning the Equinox would just be so completely retarded even if it was missing half of its hull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

Also, abandoning the Equinox would just be so completely retarded even if it was missing half of its hull.

It might've made sense if Voyager was running dry on everything too by that point and all the stuff they pulled out of Equinox could've gotten the ship into a semi-decent state. Ah, for better writers.

• Locked thread