Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Tudor Misers (Note: Tudor Roses would have been the better name for this team)
And I even had them competing at the Rose Bowl, too. I am not a creatively-minded person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pick 'em: Gauntlet X, Round 6
Pick TWO!
Mercury METSSS
Philadelphia Premodernits
Strickland Propane
Tudor Misers

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Pick 'em: Gauntlet X, Round 6 <-- this doesn't count but I wanna do a pick 'em anyway.
Pick TWO!
Mercury METSSS (No)
Philadelphia Premodernits
Strickland Propane (NO!!!!!!!!!)
Tudor Misers

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Smasher League Divisional Series: South Bolton Eazy W's vs. Walney Rakers

The Following Contest is scheduled for the best-three-out-of-five games, and it will be contested under English rules!

The South Bolton Eazy W's are the only team to play in all eleven seasons in the Super-League. And they have never made it to a Super-League finals. On the one hand, you've got to give the credit for being the ultimate survivors. On the other hand, at a certain point, you can't help but wonder if they're ever going to break through. Admittedly, they had a decent regular season, and they at least have a certain familiarity with the Rakers, having played them roughly seven million times in the past two seasons. But with the Rakers having home field advantage, and appearing to be a fundamentally better team, they are still the decided underdogs in this series. Still, any team that uses both St. Bellhorn and Eri Yoshida has to have something going for it, doesn't it?

The Rakers won 100 games this season, all while playing in a tough division and suffering from some inconvenient injuries. Realistically speaking, the Rakers were the best team in their league this season, and they should win this series. Their offense is geared around making contact and putting the ball in ball which, given the sheer number of deadball pitchers in the league, not to mention that the W's will be sending out both Cy Young and Pete Alexander this series, that's probably a solid strategy. As far as their pitchers go, gingemidget rides his starters harder than anyone. The Rakers, as a team, had 41 complete games this season, significantly more than any other team. That's an interesting statistic, but whether that will help or hurt their team in this series remains to be seen.

Game 1

Don May posted:

RAKERS WIN BACK-AND-FORTH GAME 5-4, TAKE 1-0 SERIES LEAD

Walney- Given enough time, the Rakers can break through just about anything.

Tied 3-3 in the bottom of the eighth, one had to wonder whether or not ForeverBWFC should have gone to the bullpen. Young had been good, but not great, in holding the Rakers to just three runs over seven innings, but he pitched to contact, and the Rakers, as a team, hit nearly .300 over the regular season. Something would have to give, and probably soon.

It didn't take long. Nomar led off the inning with a triple, and Jimmie Dykes, who had come in for Wade Boggs as a defensive replacement, singled him home. The Rakers had a 4-3 lead, and the onus was now on the Eazy W's to try and even things up. But then gingemidget did something downright weird. It was a one-run game going into the ninth inning, and Lefty Grove had pitched 160 pitches on the game, which is a tremendous amount in any context. There was a real chance that, if gingemidget forced Grove to pitch another inning, that his starter's arm might literally explode.

But gingemidget had no fear. Grove had started the game, and Grove would drat sure finish it. With his velocity gone, Grove gave up an easy single to Lou Whitaker to start the inning, and was unable to stop Ed Delahanty from bunting Whitaker into scoring position. That brought up Babe Ruth and, given that Grove's fastball now topped out at 78 mph, it was a minor miracle that he was able to keep Ruth in the park at all, only giving up an RBI double that tied the game. Grove, summoning the last of his strength, then got the next two batters out, preserving the tie before collapsing on the mound, totally exhausted after throwing 178 pitches.

After Grove was stretchered out, the game continued to the bottom of the ninth. ForeverBWFC, unlike gingemidget, was not philosophically opposed to the idea of a relief pitcher, and summoned Sparky Lyle to take the game into the tenth inning. But Willie Mays did not give him a warm welcome, lancing a double into the left-field gap. Ty Cobb, smelling blood, swung hard at the first pitch of his own at-bat, but he merely flied to right for the first out. Mickey Cochrane, on the other hand, was not so easily disposed of, and knocked a single into the outfield, scoring Mays, and giving the Rakers the walk-off win in Game 1.

ForeverBWFC had to give credit where credit is due, "I'll say this for the Cumbrian, if it had been up to me, I'm not sure I would have made it my single-minded mission to destroy my own pitcher's arm. But I suppose things are different up their in Barrow, one of the few places in England that makes Bolton look downright prosperous by comparison. I, for one, congratulate gingemidget for his win, because it's probably the best thing that's ever happened to the entire greater Barrow region in ages. If not ever. So, hat's off to you, gingemidget, you deserve a bit of joy in your life."

Unsurprisingly, most of gingemidget's post-game comments turned around his treatment of Lefty Grove, "Listen, lads, and listen well. I'm sure that back in the States, coddling your pitchers works out great. But here in Walney, when you walk out to that mound to start the game, you go out there with every expectation of finishing it, too. My pitchers had 41 complete games this season. That's more than any other two teams combined. And we won 100 games this year. Those two facts are not unrelated. When we win this series, it will be because my starters are willing to obliterate themselves on the mound for the glory of the Rakers. And if we lose, you will all pretend that it's because I'm mad. I found the exact setting of the sliders to get the absolute most out of my pitchers. I have found the secret to Super-League domination. And I'm hardly about to let some band of thugs from Bolton ruin that."

Game 2 will take place in scenic Walney, best known for being the inspiration for "Yellow Submarine". Sandy Koufax will start for the W's against Juan Marichal for the Rakers.

GAME NOTES

-Eri Yoshida, despite not playing in the game, was stoked, "Guys, guys! I know that you're think that I'm completely useless, but I've got a really good feeling about this series. I feel like, when I finally get my chance, I'm finally going to get a chance to save the day! Just you wait!"

-Lefty Grove was quickly taken to a nearby hospital, where he vowed to recover from his injuries in time for a potential Game 5, telling reporters that, "It'll be a cold in hell before I let myself get beaten by a flouncing Englishman!"

Box Score

Game 2

Don May posted:

EAZY W'S EVEN SERIES WITH 6-5 WIN

Walney- It was a game that both sides felt that they had to win.

For the W's, losing this game would have meant that they would be down 0-2 in this best-of-five series, and would have to win three straight to avoid yet another playoff elimination. For the Rakers, losing this game would have given the W's a chance to win the series in Bolton, where their home stadium is inimical to most team, the Rakers included. There was a sense that whoever won this game would control the course of the series.

In the end, both sides struck hard and fast, but the W's were able to take a 6-5 lead into the bottom of the ninth inning. The Rakers, once more needing to make a comeback, managed to get the tying run on first with two outs in the form of Jimmie Foxx. And then Rob Dibble picked him off to win the game, and the W's escaped with the win.

Suffice to say, Jimmie Foxx did feel bad about that, telling reporters that, "Well, holy gently caress, I didn't see that one coming. I mean, yeah, I'm basically a giant clumsy oaf, but boy, that's really one for the books, isn't it. Oh well, might as well go get blasted. Where's the nearest bar? Oh, wait, that's right, England. Okay, where the gently caress is the nearest pub?"

As for gingemidget, he was not happy with how his team had performed, "loving hell! How did we get beaten by these useless #@$@#!" The American reporters gasped in shock at the profanity, "Oh, calm the gently caress down, this series is being contested under English rules, I'm allowed to call ForeverBWFC a @#$# all I want. Because he is a @#$@. Just a loving @#$@. He and his useless team, always loving things up for everyone else. Both of us know that he's never going to be a champion. At least I've tried ti make my team better, all he's done in the Super-League is set back and watched his team rot. I'm sick of him and I'm sick of his team. I'm going to go to Bolton, and I'm going to crush his team right in front of his fans. Admittedly, as they are from Bolton, the image of utter defeat will be quite familiar to them, almost comforting."

That drew a rebuke from St. Bellhorn, captain-eternal of the South Bolton Eazy W's, "Is this the new breed of owners who confuse profanity with so much wit? I sayeth unto you, men of the Super-League, for ten and one seasons have I dwelt in the Super-League, never to be a champion, for such was not my station, yet ere I am gone from this place, some debts must be settled. gingemidget, thou art a man who may yet have his share of glory in his time, but get thee not in between the W's and their wrath, for mine oldest foe yet lives and smirks from his throne in the Orient. The time hath nearly come to once more meet the devil, and thou art not the man to deny me thus."

Game 3 will take place in Bolton, home of the world-famous "Bolton Hoagie", which is made of black pudding, roast beef, a horseradish, and an incredible sense of regret. Pete "Dream Smasher" Alexander will try and give the W's a series lead while Kevin "Kevin" Brown tries to get his Rakers a kickstart.

GAME NOTES

-Juan Marichal was rocked by the W's and lasted only five innings, which, all told, was not particularly surprising as the W's have so many good left-handed hitters that they're a tough out for any right-handed pitcher.

-Speaking of Jimmie Foxx, the slugger still does not have a single hit in the series, although he did walk twice in today's game.

Box Score

Game 3

Don May posted:

W'S MOVE ONE GAME FROM SLCS WITH 8-3 WIN, GINGEMIDGET FUMES

Bolton- For a second, the Rakers looked like they just might be able to pull off the win.

It was the bottom of the fifth, and the Rakers held a 3-1 lead over the W's. Kevin Brown, who had outpitched Pete Alexander to that point, struck out John Olerud to start the inning, and everything looked like it was going to work out. But then the W's came roaring back, scoring four times on the inning, three of them on a Duke Snider home run, and the W's took a 5-3 lead. With Alexander returning to his usual form, the Rakers had no chance to make up for their mistakes, and the W's cruised to an 8-3 win that leaves them just one more win away from advancing to their first Smasher League Championship Series since Super-League VIII, which, of course, ended in the tragic "Eri Yoshida Game", which still haunts W's fans to this day.

Obviously, this was good news for ForeverBWFC, who was the heavy underdog coming into this series, owing both to his long history of playoff futility and the Rakers' recent domination of the Eazy W's during the regular season. Still, with today's win, they need only win one of the next two games in order to punch their ticket to a showdown with the Fukuoka Finger-Bangers for the Smasher League Championship. The importance of the win was not lost on the W's owner, "It's been a long time since the W's felt like they were real contenders, and I'd hate to blow it now. We've had ten chances to become Super-League Champions, that's more than any other team, and we've failed every single time. Now, I'm from Bolton, and god knows that being a Wanderers fan has given me a sense of patience about it, I suppose, and it's not like I'm going to quit if we keep losing, but it would really be nice to win a championship."

gingemidget was fired up by the loss, "I will loving kill you, you unbelievable @#$@#% ^#$%, I am going to loving end you. I kicked your sorry arses all season long and all for this? No. It's not going to end this way. The problem is that I let my starting pitchers off the hook in the last two games. I didn't push them as hard as I needed to, I bailed them out with relievers and look what happened. Two straight losses. Well, hear this: I will not use a single more reliever in this series. The starting pitchers for Game 4 and Game 5 are going to finish those games. No more. They will come back with their shields, or on it. We are going to win this series if it kills us. And if it kills the W's too, so much the better."

Game 4 will take place in Bolton, the Electric City. Dazzy Vance will start the game for the Rakers, who will try and force a Game 5 in Walney. Jeff Tesreau will get the start for the W's.

GAME NOTES

-The W's are having a great deal of success making contact with the ball in this series, as every one of their starters as a batting average of .278 or better through the first three games.

-On the flip side, Jimmie Foxx still does not have a hit through two games. He vowed to work on his drinking. Whether he misheard the question or believes that he will become a better hitter if he drinks more is as yet unknown.

Box Score

Game 4

Don May posted:

RAKERS FORCE GAME 5 WITH 8-4 DRUBBING

Bolton- There will be a tomorrow for the Rakers after all.

The bad news is that the Rakers were facing elimination. The good news is that they were also facing Jeff Tesreau. And they took full advantage of the latter fact to score eight runs off of Tesreau and a pair of W's relievers to take an easy 8-4 decision and send the series back to Walney for a decisive Game 5.

Dazzy Vance pitched a complete game for the Rakers as gingemidget, for today's game at least, held fast to his pledge to stop using relievers, instead letting Vance rack up 149 pitches thrown on the day. While there is concern that these high pitch counts may come back to haunt the Rakers later in the playoffs, there was also a feeling among the Rakers that unless Vance was able to take the team onto his back and finish the game, that there would be no future for the Rakers this season. Then again, by the bottom of the eighth, the Rakers already had a four-run lead that even their worst relievers probably would have been able to hold onto, and Vance might have been better served with an inning or two off. In any event, gingemidget must have felt, with some justification, that his rotation's high number of complete games was not wholly unconnected to the 100 games the team won the regular season, the most of anyone in the Smasher League division.

After the game, gingemidget vowed that, "The W's are coming into Walney, but they're not going to be coming out. In Game 1, it took Lefty Grove 178 pitches to win the game. In Game 5, Lefty Grove is going to get us another win if it takes him 278 pitches. It's time for the Rakers to take their place amongst the elite of the Super-League, and elite teams do not lose decisive games at home. These bloody W's have gone far enough. I vow that we will win Game 5, and that we will beat the Fukuoka Finger-Bangers for the second straight season, and that we will go to the Super-League Finals. I promise the people of Walney that we will not let them down."

ForeverBWFC had his own guarantee, "Today was a missed opportunity, I know that. If we had won today, then it wouldn't be necessary to go back to Walney, and I am dread that ten-hour plane flight already. Still, I know that our team can win this, because what we don't have in talent, we have in a sort of elan that can only come form being the guardians of this league's heritage. And so, as the owner of the South Bolton Eazy W's, and because I know that the most powerful weapon at our disposal is a hope that has absolutely no connection to reality, I hereby promise that the very first reliever out of my bullpen tomorrow, no matter the circumstance, will be Eri Yoshida." This drew audible gasps from the audience, many of whom were present at Yoshida's last playoff appearance three seasons ago against the Phoenixes.

Game 5 will be the final game of the series. The winner will advance to the Smasher League Championship Series against the Fukuoka Finger-Bangers. The loser will add one more regret to their lives.

GAME NOTES

-Jimmie Foxx finally broke through his slump, hitting two doubles. He promised to drink even more before the next game, no matter how badly it impeded his ability to field bunts.

-Asked about his start in Game 5, Lefty Grove told reporters that, "I'll be damned if I'm going to get beaten by Eri Yoshida. My arm can take another game. I'm going to win, no matter what it takes." Many noted, however, that Grove's left arm looked swollen and discolored, and it was unclear whether or not he could even more it.

Box Score

Game 5

Don May posted:

W'S MAKE MIRACLE COMEBACK, WIN 8-5 IN 10 INNINGS

Walney- An irresistible force hit an immovable object, and then the impossible happened.

After six and two-third innings, the W's appeared cooked. Lefty Grove had more than lived up to his promise, and was shutting down the W's offense, and the Rakers had gouged Cy Young for five runs, with runners on first and second with two outs. Ty Cobb, one of the more dangerous hitters the Rakers had, was at the plate. With Young clearly cooked, ForeverBWFC called to his bullpen and, having made a promise after Game 4, and with his team seemingly doomed either way, called on Eri Yoshida to keep the score respectable. Yoshida quickly got Cobb to fly out, and the seventh inning ended with the Rakers still up 5-0. It was a nice moment, but it didn't seem to mean anything.

It would soon enough.

In the top of the eighth, the W's finally broke through against Lefty Grove, with Ed Delahanty knocking two run on a double. gingemidget had promised not to bring in a reliever, and even though Grove had appeared vulnerable, he kept his pitcher in, and Grove eventually got out of the inning with no further damage. With the Rakers' lead narrowed to 5-2, the Rakers could get nothing done in the bottom of the inning. That left the Rakers with a three-run leading headed into the top of the ninth. If they could get three more outs without giving up that lead, then none of this would matter. The Rakers would move on to the Smasher League Championship Series, and none of this would matter. But they had to get those three outs first, and that meant that gingemidget had a choice to make.

On the one hand, gingemidget had promised to keep Grove in the game for the whole game. On the other, Grove had looked shaky the previous inning, and his arm was clearly not at 100%. But gingemidget decided to take his vow seriously, and allowed Grove to stay in the game. Al Simmons was up first, and hit a flat fastball into left field for a single. Then, after getting Duke Snider to strike out which, given Duke's inability to hit left-handed pitching, wasn't all that impressive, Grove allowed two more singles to Ripken and Rolen to allow a run to score, narrowed the gap to just 5-3. Focusing himself, Grove managed to get a pop out from Ted Simmons to leave the Rakers just one out away from advancing. John Olerud was the W's last hope and, sadly for the Rakers, he was locked in, easily getting hold of a Grove fastball, and blasting it deep into the left field gap, scoring two runs on the double. But Olerud got greedy, and attempted to take third on the play, which allowed Mays to gun him down at third base, keeping the score tied 5-5.

The Rakers had lost their five-run lead, but the game was not yet over. As gingemidget impressed upon his players, the score was still tied, and the W's were going to bring Yoshida out for another inning. The Rakers had hit .300 over the course of the season, and Yoshida could not strike anyone out. This was their time, they just needed to seize the moment, score one more run against the diminutive knuckleballer, and move on to the next round of the playoffs. It would not be the cleanest victory, but it would be a victory nonetheless.

Yoshida retired the side in order, easily turning back the Rakers' hitters. The game was now headed to extra innings, and gingemidget could abide by his promise no more, calling John Smoltz from the bullpen rather than allowing Grove to pitch a tenth inning. Sadly, it made no difference. Whitaker was up first, and punished the right-handed Smoltz, notching a single to lead off the inning. Delahanty, having some experience with the spirits himself, noticed that Jimmie Foxx, the Rakers' first baseman, was nearly as drunk as Big Ed himself, and bunted for a base hit, putting the go-ahead runner into scoring position. And that brought up Babe Ruth. The Rakers appeared doomed, But Smoltz dug deep and managed to get Ruth to pop out for the first out of the inning.

And then Al Simmons jack a three-run homer to give the W's a 8-5 lead, and none of that seemed to matter.

With the W's still leading 8-5 in the bottom of the inning, Rob Dibble came in to get the save, and the Rakers made their last stand. Foxx, trying to make up for his mistake in the previous inning, singled to lead things off, but Mays and Cobb struck out, and the Rakers were quickly down to their last chance. Mickey Cochrane, who had cemented the win in Game 1, had one last moment of heroism in him, and kept the game going with a single of his own, moving runners to the corners and bringing the tying run to the plate in the form of Sam Crawford. But Crawford could not save the day this time, and flied out, ending the series in the most disappointing way possible for the Rakers.

After the game, gingemidget admitted that, "I am supposed to be a man of my word. But I took Lefty Grove out of the game. ForeverBWFC kept his word, and put Yoshida out there, even though it might have doomed his team. In one sense, I deserved to lose, because if a man doesn't have honour, what does he have? On the other hand, the W's better pray to god that the Macho Men rapture them away because if they're still around, I will kill them. I will loving kill them all. YOU THINK YOU CAN HUMILIATE ME AND GET AWAY WITH IT? I WILL loving KILL YOU, FOREVERBWFC!"

The W's will now face the Bangers in the Smasher League Championship Series, with the Bangers holding home field advantage. Yoshida seemed less than excited, despite having gotten the series-clinching win, "But...that's Marauder's team? And uh...I can't. Visa problem! I have a visa problem and so I can't travel with the team to go to Fukuoka, even though I'm a Japanese citizen...and uh....please don't make me face Marauder's team again."

GAME NOTES

-Marauder responded to Yoshida's remarks by saying, "Frankly, I do not see why Ms. Yoshida appears so frightened of me. After all, playing against the Bangers will allow her a chance to return to her home country. And, after all, that crushing, demoralizing defeat that took her three seasons to recover from? That was against the Phoenixes, a much different team from the Bangers." Marauder's features grew dark, "No, I assure you, this series will have a much different complexion to it. Much different, indeed."

Box Score

Pick 'em: Championship Round
Pick the winner, number of games (best-of-seven) and score of the final game
Somali Pirates vs. Rockford Losers
South Bolton Eazy W's vs. Fukuoka Finger-Bangers

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
The Dispersal Draft beigns HERE!

CFBalla, you have 24 hours to make your pick.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

n00b question - that sheet titled choose your character is the list of available players, right?

Also, I'd like to know what position I need to target (hint, hint)

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

kensei posted:

n00b question - that sheet titled choose your character is the list of available players, right?

It is and, without looking at your roster at all, you should be targeting C an middle IF from that list if you have a high pick.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

kensei posted:

Best bet is probably just to take an impact bat. In the SL, Best Player Available is basically always a better idea than going after needs. Your biggest need is probably SS, but the only 2 SSs with a first round grade, Wells and A-rod, probably won't still be there when you draft.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Somali Pirates in 7, 4-3
Fukuoka Finger-Bangers in 5, 7-3 (Sorry Brit!)

Franchise Challenge news!

So far I've gotten a lot of rosters, and have already started converting them into .csv files. I still need rosters from Beet, Bruiser, Rev T, Capt.Yesterday, mentholmoose, Mooseontheloose, Pash, theacox, kensei, Cthulhu, FairGame, Toilet O' Sadness, and blakelmenakle. And by rosters, I mean your 40 man roster on a google spreadsheet or a link to where you've posted your roster in the thread. Makes it easier to reference later on when I'm trying to get everyone entered. Remember, the deadline is the day Smasher starts the Super League finals. (I know earlier I said the day before, but that date is a floating target, so I'd rather put the deadline at the end of the day when he posts the finals write-ups.)

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I believe Mr. Kensei is referring to his gift, and as such I would like to point out that not all gifts are players.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I know that SS and C are my biggest opportunities for improvement but

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

I believe Mr. Kensei is referring to his gift, and as such I would like to point out that not all gifts are players.

Oooh interesting

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

1.) Cbx, I'm phoneposting for another few days. I promise you'll have my lineup and roster and stuff when I'm back home Thursday. Maybe earlier if I find a business center.
2.) I would be willing to move my 1st rounder. I want help at catcher, primarily.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

FairGame posted:

1.) Cbx, I'm phoneposting for another few days. I promise you'll have my lineup and roster and stuff when I'm back home Thursday. Maybe earlier if I find a business center.
2.) I would be willing to move my 1st rounder. I want help at catcher, primarily.

I have King Kelly that could fit the bill. He's in his prime, and can also play RF. His contact and speed tools are through the roof, he has a 100 for pitcher handling and his arm and range are in the high 90's. Interested?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Rockford Losers in 5 (6-2)
South Bolton Eazy W's in 7 (4-2)

cbx posted:

So far I've gotten a lot of rosters, and have already started converting them into .csv files. I still need rosters from Beet, Bruiser, Rev T, Capt.Yesterday, mentholmoose, Mooseontheloose, Pash, theacox, kensei, Cthulhu, FairGame, Toilet O' Sadness, and blakelmenakle. And by rosters, I mean your 40 man roster on a google spreadsheet or a link to where you've posted your roster in the thread. Makes it easier to reference later on when I'm trying to get everyone entered. Remember, the deadline is the day Smasher starts the Super League finals. (I know earlier I said the day before, but that date is a floating target, so I'd rather put the deadline at the end of the day when he posts the finals write-ups.)

I'm a big dumb moron who doesn't know how baseball works. How should I choose which players make the 40-man roster that aren't on my 25-man roster?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

FairGame posted:

I'd also be willing to work out a trade based around 1992 I-rod, if you'd like a newer catcher. What other positions would you be looking for?

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 11, 2013

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

FairGame posted:

If you're interested I have Joe Torre. Good contact hitter with okay power, in his prime, can also play Third Base in a pinch.

e: I can also throw in some other stuff if you want

Monicro fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 11, 2013

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

CaptainYesterday posted:

I'm a big dumb moron who doesn't know how baseball works. How should I choose which players make the 40-man roster that aren't on my 25-man roster?

Basically, you're looking for the "best of the rest", that is, players that didn't make your initial roster but wouldn't be too much of a step down if you had to use them. You're looking for backups, injury replacements, players to keep your team going in case of catastrophic injury.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
And young (or old) guys who you want to take a whirl on, but aren't sure if they'll roll well.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

cbx posted:

I have King Kelly that could fit the bill. He's in his prime, and can also play RF. His contact and speed tools are through the roof, he has a 100 for pitcher handling and his arm and range are in the high 90's. Interested?

Hi

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

You don't really need to have all 15 of those guys be useful, because if you get 10 injuries you're doomed anyway. This is where it becomes very important to stock your roster with joke players. For example, I have Dontrelle Willis, and "Dickshot" Dan Johnson.

Before you make this deal, remember that there is a King Kelly in the draft pool.

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 11, 2013

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

cbx posted:

Basically, you're looking for the "best of the rest", that is, players that didn't make your initial roster but wouldn't be too much of a step down if you had to use them. You're looking for backups, injury replacements, players to keep your team going in case of catastrophic injury.

Done

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Somali Pirates vs. Rockford Losers
South Bolton Eazy W's vs. Fukuoka Finger-Bangers

Losers in 6, 6-1
Bangers in 5, 7-4

Also, king kelly is a disaster at catcher and that's a problem for my team especially. Deadball heavy means lots of runners and I can't turn dps if they advance on steals or pbs or wps

Irod is too young.

Will think about torre+.

If he's still around (he is in beets mock) id just take lombardi.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Oh, and cbx I'm rostering 2007 ankiel. I am counting on you to make him a pitcher

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

FairGame posted:

Irod is too young.

Just don't forget that by this point he's already caught 80 games, and in 1992 he was a full time catcher.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Somali Pirates vs. Rockford Losers in 7 games, final score of 4-3
South Bolton Eazy W's vs. Fukuoka Finger-Bangers in 5 games, final score of 6-2

kensei posted:

I know that SS and C are my biggest opportunities for improvement but

Unfortunately, SS and C are the two weakest positions in the draft. If you don't end up with one of Wells/A-Rod/Larkin, there is no reason to draft any of the other guys, and because of that all three of them might go in the first round. You should probably look into trades.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 11, 2013

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Oh right, I should probably pick em

Somali Pirates vs. Rockford Losers: Pirates in 6 3-2
South Bolton Eazy W's vs. Fukuoka Finger-Bangers: Bangers in 6 8-6

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Pick 'em Gauntlet round whatever it is
PREMODERNISTS
PROPANE

Somali Pirates vs. Rockford Losers, 7 games, 6-5
South Bolton Eazy W's vs. Fukuoka Finger-Bangers, 5 games, 3-2

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Marauder!
Beet!
ToiletofSadness!
ForeverBWFC!

By Super-League tradition, the champion of the Super-League is entitled to make a challenge to the invincible sons of the sirocco, the Macho Men. The series is scheduled for the best-of-nine games, and the challenger is entitled to choose whether the designated hitter rule shall be in effect. If ever a challenger should win, he is entitled to take the title "champion of champions", and shall take the Macho Men's place as the supreme judge of a team's true merits. But, should he lose, his team shall be cast down to the endless plains of regret, never to rise again. If either case, the challenging team shall never return to the Super-League again.

A team does not have to challenge the Macho Men, it is strictly voluntary. This decision should not be made lightly, as, if the challenge is made, then, in every meaningful way, it is the final choice an owner will ever make for his team.

The choice is yours and yours alone. You won two pendants of life in the temple games. When Kirk gives the signal, you'll race through the gates and into the temple and make your way towards the enchanted Cubs jersey of St. Bellhorn. Hidden inside the temple are temple guards, assigned to protect three specific rooms. You can trade your pendant for an extra life and go on, but if you're caught without a pendant, you'll be taken out of the temple, and it'll be your partners turn to enter and try their luck. If you can reach the enchanted jersey, all the doors of the temple will instantly unlock, and the temple guards will vanish. Return through the gates with the enchanted jersey in three minutes and you will both be handsomely rewarded!

What will that choice be?

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Marauder!
Beet!
ToiletofSadness!
ForeverBWFC!

By Super-League tradition, the champion of the Super-League is entitled to make a challenge to the invincible sons of the sirocco, the Macho Men. The series is scheduled for the best-of-nine games, and the challenger is entitled to choose whether the designated hitter rule shall be in effect. If ever a challenger should win, he is entitled to take the title "champion of champions", and shall take the Macho Men's place as the supreme judge of a team's true merits. But, should he lose, his team shall be cast down to the endless plains of regret, never to rise again. If either case, the challenging team shall never return to the Super-League again.

A team does not have to challenge the Macho Men, it is strictly voluntary. This decision should not be made lightly, as, if the challenge is made, then, in every meaningful way, it is the final choice an owner will ever make for his team.

The choice is yours and yours alone. You won two pendants of life in the temple games. When Kirk gives the signal, you'll race through the gates and into the temple and make your way towards the enchanted Cubs jersey of St. Bellhorn. Hidden inside the temple are temple guards, assigned to protect three specific rooms. You can trade your pendant for an extra life and go on, but if you're caught without a pendant, you'll be taken out of the temple, and it'll be your partners turn to enter and try their luck. If you can reach the enchanted jersey, all the doors of the temple will instantly unlock, and the temple guards will vanish. Return through the gates with the enchanted jersey in three minutes and you will both be handsomely rewarded!

What will that choice be?

The W's must do more than endure, we will build a legacy! The W's accept the challenge

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Rockford Losers in 6, 6-2
Fukuoka Finger-Bangers in 5, 5-1

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

CaptainYesterday posted:

Rockford Losers in 5 (6-2)
South Bolton Eazy W's in 7 (4-2)

A third catcher, UT infielder, SP 7, 5th outfielder, a pitch hitter, and then 11 random lottery tickets and joke players.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
:siren: Pick 'Em Standings: :siren:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvhK1RX1-jWLdEJTRElCeU1zMVpLdWlNeEdVeEVEVmc&usp=drive_web#gid=2

No big scores this round, so CaptainYesterday maintains his lead.

1.) CaptainYesterday: 34 points
2.) The Goog: 23 points
3.) Grinnblade: 21 points

Smasher: As for the Macho Men challenge, of course I accpet.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
Kind of saw that coming when I read the end of the Bangers-Symphony writeup.

I'm completely okay with the raft of complete games, partly because I think a number that high is probably an outlier, and partly because I'm completely terrified of the phrase "Al Holland, second best bullpen member". Honestly, I think the problem with the pitching was more down to my total mismanagement of my rotation over the last couple of weeks that forced Grove to pitch twice in Walney, when ideally he'd have started only game three or four in the lefty-friendly Coliseum.

Good luck to BWFC against the Bangers, if only because the Norris-Smythe's recored in the SLCS is... well, it's not exactly all that spectacular. Smasher really was not kidding when he called it the bronze medal division.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Kensei: King Kelly for your first round pick then?

cbx fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 12, 2013

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

cbx posted:

Blooper Jays roster is here.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Kensei! What will you give me for 2006 Derek Jeter?

Pick 'em! Championship round

Somali Pirates vs. Rockford Losers in 6, final game 5-1
South Bolton Eazy W's vs. Fukuoka Finger-Bangers in 4, final game 8-2

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Results!

Glory to the Syndicate!
Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious summer by Johnny Bench
Armitage's self-loathing has finally reached critical mass!
:smith::smith::smith::smith::smith::smith::smith::smith::smith::smith::smith:

Pick 'em: Gauntlet Round 7
Pick TWO!
Canton Calamities
Philadelphia Premodernists
Thunderstorms
Tudor Misers

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Premodernists
Thunderstorms

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
It can't be self-loathing if I was rooting for it to happen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Poor Mets. :smith: Come back soon, GGN!

Also, CFBalla! You have four more hours to make your pick!