Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

She was in a whole season of Dexter then came back for about half of the next one, and co-stars in I, Frankenstein.

It's only been 2 years since Chuck ended.

But yeah Captain Awesome hasn't done much.

(Also that Lego movie came out during Chuck's run.)
He shtupped January Jones in Mad Men, how is that nothing? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I'm glad I don't have the problem most of you seem to have with dropping lovely shows. There is so much good stuff on TV right now that I can barely keep up with, why would you want to waste your time watching something you hate?

soapgish posted:

I still think he should have landed that one big role he was up for, some old guy that looks a lot younger named Steve Rogers :smith:

He didn't have a chance, Chris Evans had way too much experience playing characters in comic book movies.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Chuck was bland. Like Psych but without the edge. Morgan was creepy and annoying. I think I made it through the first season.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

raditts posted:

I'm glad I don't have the problem most of you seem to have with dropping lovely shows. There is so much good stuff on TV right now that I can barely keep up with, why would you want to waste your time watching something you hate?

He didn't have a chance, Chris Evans had way too much experience playing characters in comic book movies.

1. Meaningless completion quotient and morbid curiosity.

2. I know :( But compared to Evans' great comedic delivery he gets to use nothing of in the franchise, McPartlin's voice has the tone and body that one hopes for in their friends, brothers, and fathers, which I think fits Cap like a glove. And his look is spot-on. I mean, everything but especially that chin.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Slamhound posted:

Chuck was bland. Like Psych but without the edge. Morgan was creepy and annoying. I think I made it through the first season.

Psych has all the edge of a dildo. Which is apt because it's just a lot of old cock flopping around.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

raditts posted:

For most people it seems to be either Stockholm Syndrome or Battered Spouse Syndrome.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Psych has all the edge of a dildo. Which is apt because it's just a lot of old cock flopping around.
And yet still sharper than Chuck.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

For most people it seems to be either Stockholm Syndrome or Battered Spouse Syndrome.
In a lot of cases it's a combination of Sunk Cost Fallacy, a battle of wills, and sheer bloodymindedness.

The entire last season of Dexter was the writers just daring the audience to stop watching.

"You're still here after we made LaGuerta a bench? Well gently caress YOU, BECAUSE NOW DEXTER'S A LUMBERJACK."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Slamhound posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > TV IV Couch Chat: gently caress YOU, BECAUSE NOW DEXTER'S A LUMBERJACK."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

No, no, no. You can't setup your own follow-up like that. That's just sad.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Man, I hated Chuck toward the end, after really liking it in Season 1. I felt like they wrote in too many blatant excuses to pander to viewers who wanted to see Stahovski in sexy situations as possible. There'd be lingering shots of her rear end, (multiple?) shower fights, skimpy outfits, etc. She is very attractive, but the way those were done just felt skeevy and gross.

Also, I felt like they used the "Was that your spy training, Chuck?/Did you just flash, Chuck?!" "Nope, [video game reference]! :smug:" gag a few times. Maybe I'm misremembering and it was just once, but it was awful.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Aphrodite posted:

No, no, no. You can't setup your own follow-up like that. That's just sad.

OF course I can. I'm awesome.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, "Tracy Does Conan" is still a loving perfect episode of television.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MrAristocrates posted:

Man, "Tracy Does Conan" is still a loving perfect episode of television.

It's when 30 Rock gets really good, I think. Most of the rest of season 1 is great from then on.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Chuck felt a lot like Scrubs to me, in that around the third season they actually started repeating jokes and situations from previous episodes.

Anyone else like @midnight? Despite the internetinternetinternet part of it the show is actually really funny. It's introduced me to a couple comedians (like that Che guy) I'd never heard of before.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

bad day posted:

Chuck felt a lot like Scrubs to me, in that around the third season they actually started repeating jokes and situations from previous episodes.

Anyone else like @midnight? Despite the internetinternetinternet part of it the show is actually really funny. It's introduced me to a couple comedians (like that Che guy) I'd never heard of before.

If you want to get sick of Michael Che really fast, watch Best Week Ever (if it hasn't been cancelled again already).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I used to have a serious problem dropping bad shows and it was mostly a "Sunk Cost" thing. I've since gotten over that but there's still something that nags at me for closure, especially if the episodes are easily available. That's why I ended up finishing Weeds even though I ditched it in the second to last season because it was absolute poo poo. But when I got the Showtime App it was just sitting there nagging at me and eventually one bored night I started finishing it. I'm sure I'll end up doing the same thing with Dexter too. Intellectually I have no desire at all to finish it. It was poo poo when I stopped and everything I've heard says it just got worse. But its right there and would just be a week of a couple of episodes a night so sooner or later I'm going to give in.

bad day posted:

I added it to my Daily Show/Colbert Report block on the DVR last week and I generally enjoy it. Its a little hit or miss but they're genuinely funny enough to carry the show and just make it fun. I get the feeling its going to wear thin for me after awhile but I don't think everyone will have that problem though.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I've been about to pull the trigger on Spartacus for a while now, but I'm a bit wary as to closure, considering Andy's death, the prequel seasons and it still being ongoing.

I read a lot of good comments, but is it worth the watch? And if so, how much of it?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's not still ongoing :(

But yes watch all of it. Andy's sickness and death forced them to do a prequel season after season 1 but it ended up being fantastic. Liam takes over and eventually lives up to the role very well. Make sure you watch the prequel after season 1, the way it was aired.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've been about to pull the trigger on Spartacus for a while now, but I'm a bit wary as to closure, considering Andy's death, the prequel seasons and it still being ongoing.

I read a lot of good comments, but is it worth the watch? And if so, how much of it?

Spartacus is top-tier television and I enjoyed it as much as anything else I can remember from the past 5 years,

Watch all of it. Only the first 3-4 episodes are weak and then everything else is just great television.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
The first couple of episodes of Spartacus are pretty bad but it gets better really fast. Watch through the fourth episode (The Thing in the Pit) before giving up on it if the show doesn't grab you from the start.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Will do, thanks for all the replies.

So the order would be
Blood and Sand
Gods of the Arena (Miniseries prequel?)
Vengeance
War of the Damned

Right?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
That's the right order yes. And yes there is a definite proper ending.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
You can finish it off by reading Strauss's "The Spartacus War", which is an amazing book by all accounts.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spartacus is so, so, so worth it.

The first few episodes legitimately suck.
The Andy to Liam transition can be awkward.
The sex and gore in it crosses the line from time to time into gratuitous.

Other than that its a shockingly great series that never fails to surprise you at how well acted, written, and poignant it can be. And an absolutely amazing finale.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

STAC Goat posted:

The sex and gore in it crosses the line from time to time into gratuitous.

I always laugh at the people who freak out over the boring vanilla sex in Game of Thrones because nothing GoT has done comes close to the gross, gratuitous, and downright amazing sex scenes in Spartacus.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

I always laugh at the people who freak out over the boring vanilla sex in Game of Thrones because nothing GoT has done comes close to the gross, gratuitous, and downright amazing sex scenes in Spartacus.
There is always Boss for the completely out-of-place sex that serves zero purpose.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Irish Joe posted:

Well, considering the first sex scene in GoT involves siblings... :v:

I'll be picking up season 1 during the week, thanks for the early episode suckage warning, I hate giving up on a show and then learning it became awesome the episode right after the one I stopped watching.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To me the difference is that I can't think of a single scene in Game of Thrones where sex or bare breasts actually made a difference to the story or characters except maybe for the last scene of the first episode where the twins are caught in the act. On the other hand a lot of the sex on Spartacus serves a real purpose to highlight character developments, flaws, or the horror of the Roman society.

But by the last season of Spartacus there's just a five minute sex scene every episode for no reason at all. At some point it stops becoming titalizing, offensive, or anything except comical.

GoT wasn't half as bad as people made it out to be, but I do think the sex in it is very gratuitous. But Spartacus beats it in both gratuitous and meaningful sex scenes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, there's the scene where they decided Littlefinger's story couldn't carry itself so he should be telling it while teaching his new recruit how to do women.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
There has also been some ruffled feathers on the female cast about nudity this season or the previous,

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Well, there's the scene where they decided Littlefinger's story couldn't carry itself so he should be telling it while teaching his new recruit how to do women.

Which is really perfect, because his whole monologue there is about hiding behind stuff for people to fixate on, while people fixate on the sex and ignore what he's saying.

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV
So it's premiere week for Almost Human (Sunday, 8e/7c on Fox) and I have a post ready for it, but I'm wondering whether to post it now to get some talk going, or wait until closer to the premiere date. Thoughts?

There's a fair amount of info and detail, though it's been strangely difficult to find early episode lists and writing staff info.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well, considering the first sex scene in GoT involves siblings... :v:

I'll be picking up season 1 during the week, thanks for the early episode suckage warning, I hate giving up on a show and then learning it became awesome the episode right after the one I stopped watching.

The first 3 or 4 episodes only seem bad the first time you watch them, if you're not aware of the awesomeness to come. Watching them in retrospect after you've seen the whole series, they aren't bad at all since you know it builds to greatness.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

The first 3 or 4 episodes only seem bad the first time you watch them, if you're not aware of the awesomeness to come. Watching them in retrospect after you've seen the whole series, they aren't bad at all since you know it builds to greatness.

I don't know...I'd say that the first episode especially is just plain bad. Knowing that the show improves makes it easier to get through but it's still awful. I actually find it harder rewatching the first season knowing that Andy Whitfield isn't going to be around after it ends. :smith:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I thought the first episode was pretty bad on my rewatch, much worse than when I just blasted through the first 7-8 episodes the first time I started watching the show. It comes off as this awful 300 rip-off without particularly interesting characters and some cheesy plot. It's pretty incredible how good the show just decided to be after episode 4 and how consistent it was for the rest of its run.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

smg77 posted:

I don't know...I'd say that the first episode especially is just plain bad. Knowing that the show improves makes it easier to get through but it's still awful. I actually find it harder rewatching the first season knowing that Andy Whitfield isn't going to be around after it ends. :smith:

Yeah by the last season I wasn't constantly picturing Andy in every scene and Liam does a great job. But it's still rough because I remember being so excited when he came out to all the cheers and people hug him at Comic Con because hey he beat cancer! And then the next news is oh it's back and he's probably going to die :(

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 12, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Is there anywhere online I can watch Spartacus? Is that poo poo on Netflix?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So what's the deal with Adam Devine's House Party? Did Workaholics get canceled?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BigRed0427 posted:

So what's the deal with Adam Devine's House Party? Did Workaholics get canceled?

The new seasons starts in January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At this point Comedy Central only runs new shows to feed the running "We'll be right back with..." joke on Tosh.0.

• Locked thread