Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

MonsieurChoc posted:

The music is not dissonant and insanity-inducing enough. They should have gotten Philip Glass. :colbert:

You listened to that remix of Growing Wings, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

alcharagia posted:

You listened to that remix of Growing Wings, right?

Yes, and it's great. I wasn't being serious.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

TurnipFritter posted:

Here are some more gameplay videos in decent quality:
Ground combat
Aerial combat
More ground combat

You'll either need to log into nicovideo (you can log in with Facebook) or use a mirror site like this one.

Polsy can also be used to view Nico links.

Thanks!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Pharohman777 posted:

Wait, they sent DarkId merchandise becase of his LP?

If he's reading this thread, he can chime in, but in some LP thread or another he mentioned getting stuff from them, including a poster(?)

But, we all know that Drakengard 3 itself is their real gift to these forums.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I wonder if it's actually supposed to be Zero singing while berserking. I certainly hope that's the case.

Considering the way Devola's song would play in NieR, it wouldn't be without precedent.

I wonder, will the Intoners (or whatever they're calling them) also get music for their boss fights? Maybe a Metal Gear Rising kind of affair where it kicks in as action escalates?

As lurid and depressing as the plot is shaping up, this game could end up being genuinely stylish and fun to watch if they really amp up the artistic touches.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Has there been anything about the jp version coming out on psn?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

tooooooo bad posted:

Has there been anything about the jp version coming out on psn?

Yeah it should end up on PSN.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

I wonder if it's actually supposed to be Zero singing while berserking. I certainly hope that's the case.

It is! When Zero enters berserk mode she gets excited and starts singing, hence the name Songstress/Intoner. Presumably the enemy Intoners can do the same thing, so boss fights could end up as duets. That said, I remember reading an interview with the composer where he said this game's soundtrack was going to be a lot different than Nier's and to not expect as many vocal tracks in spite of the setting, so there's that.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Pharohman777 posted:

Wait, they sent DarkId merchandise becase of his LP?

I got shitfaced and did some digging to contact Cavia before it was dissolved and specifically Sith Lord Taro Yoko during the NIER LP and linked to all the sales I had gotten the game... granted mostly used but whatever. I did more advertising than Square-Enix at that point. I got a response back from Taro Yoko a few months later thanking me for being an "ambassador to the West" and was asked for an address. Which was a PO BOX so whatever. If he was sending a letter bomb some poor mail lady would blow up. Drakengard! But in fact I got a signed poster from a bunch of members from the team and a voucher for the NieR piano soundtrack. Which required I make a fake Japanese iTunes account listing me in 25000 Fake Street, Osaka Japan.

But hey. That was nifty. :unsmith:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I still think that's the neatest loving thing :allears: What an awesome guy! Almost makes up for all the soul-crushing despair he's about to put you through.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Taro Yoko is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I thought Drakengard was a complely unknown game I picked up in a discount bin when I was a kid, kinda neat that apparently it's not. :v:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

If the music is even a fraction as good as Nier's and the characterization even a tenth as good as Nier's, I'll be satisfied with this game. Also, I swear to God, those deserty screenshots look like they straight up re-used textures from Nier.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Well, the question is if this will be closer in quality to Drakengard 2 or NIER.

Considering the main character is an anime girl...Drakengard 2.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

LordHippoman posted:

Well, the question is if this will be closer in quality to Drakengard 2 or NIER.

Wasn't Drakengard 2's (main) problem that Nowe was a completely forgettable well-meaning animu protagonist? Only his utter stupidity was memorable.

Looking at Zero, I don't see that being a problem. If they gently caress it up, it'll be in an interesting new way.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Anatharon posted:

I thought Drakengard was a complely unknown game I picked up in a discount bin when I was a kid, kinda neat that apparently it's not. :v:

Oddly enough, I'm much the same. Everything I'd heard about it suggested it was Dynasty Warriors with overt RPG mechanics, which is right up my alley. I played it for a bit, thought 'huh, this is alright', then shoved it into the Big Pile Of Games I'll Play Once In A Blue Moon. Then, a couple of years later, I hear what the game's really about and plow through it with a fervour Caim himself would be proud of. I never picked up the second game (I keep feeling I should, just for the sake of completeness if nothing else), but Nier swiftly became one of my favourite games. I actually have a canvas of some of the promo art I had printed up, and a copy of Grimoire Neir on the way.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Dark Id posted:

...But in fact I got a signed poster from a bunch of members from the team and a voucher for the NieR piano soundtrack.

That's pretty cool of them. :)

As for the quality of this upcoming game, if it's an utter trainwreck, it's going to be a glorious utter trainwreck, and if it's decent, then we get a decent game out of it; either way it's win-win for us. Characterwise, as long as it's not Drakgengard 2 it's gonna be okay, and gameplaywise, it just has to be on the same level as Nier - nothing groundbreaking, with none of the monotony of the orignal Drakengard.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

LordHippoman posted:

From what we know of her already, Zero is: gruff, violent, has a flower growing out of her eye, can kill enemies by singing at them, is a former serial killer who is now dead-set on murdering her little sisters before stealing their lovers/manservants and rides a dragon with the voice of a five year old. Every single supporting character that has been introduced has made her seem relatively sane in comparison. How could you compare that to Nowe and his band of bland? I can't speak for the games general quality yet, but Yoko Taro is at the helm so I think the story being boring is the last thing we have to worry about.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
And when he says the companions seems saner, one is an anime pretty boy that looks like a normal j-rpg hero, yet is a sadist, another one seems to have a masochistic streak large enough to look like he has sewed a zipper on his stomach. And an old man that's apparently the horniest of them all.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Iceclaw posted:

And when he says the companions seems saner, one is an anime pretty boy that looks like a normal j-rpg hero, yet is a sadist, another one seems to have a masochistic streak large enough to look like he has sewed a zipper on his stomach. And an old man that's apparently the horniest of them all.

Pretty standard flair these days.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I plan on playing Nier because apparently it's a good game and one of those "Games as art games" (Which I like, Killer7 and Deus Ex are some of my favorite games ever) but should I make sure to play it before Drakengard 3? And should I play Drakengard 2 for that matter?

I don't want to look at any of the pre-release stuff incase there's spoilers for Nier/DG2.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Anatharon posted:

I plan on playing Nier because apparently it's a good game and one of those "Games as art games" (Which I like, Killer7 and Deus Ex are some of my favorite games ever) but should I make sure to play it before Drakengard 3? And should I play Drakengard 2 for that matter?

I don't want to look at any of the pre-release stuff incase there's spoilers for Nier/DG2.

They're really only spiritually related at most. Nier technically takes place in the same universe as one of Drakengard's endings, but that's never even brought up at all in any meaningful way.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Nier and Drakengard 3 probably have nothing in common, it barely had anything to do with Drakengard to begin with. Never play Drakengard 2.

EDIT: vvv welp nevermind then. Still don't play Drakengard 2.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yoko Taro said that Nier is connected to some degree with Drakengard 3, but you should play it regardless because it was Cavia's best game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Anatharon posted:

Play Neir, then if you want to find out the connections/backstory, read Dark Id's LP of it. There's a surprising amount of supplementary material, none of it vital, exactly, but all of it absolutely fascinating.

But whatever you do, don't read up on Nier at all. It's a game you'll want to go into blind as possible.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Anatharon posted:

Play Nier, and play it blind.

Drakengard 2 isn't bad mechanically. Storywise...it rather sucks. I'd say play it if you want fairly decent Dynasty Warriors-lite gameplay.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Play Nier, read Drakengard LP, skim Grimoire Nier, forget about Drakengard 2.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

sleeptalker posted:

Hey now, let's be fair, there's one great way to experience the story of Drakengard 2. It's typing "drakengard 2 caim cutscene" on Youtube search bar.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Pesky Splinter posted:

Drakengard 2 isn't bad mechanically. Storywise...it rather sucks. I'd say play it if you want fairly decent Dynasty Warriors-lite gameplay.

I have never played Dynasty Warriors, but Drakengard 2 is among the worst games I've ever played. I found nothing fun about mashing the same X combo over and over against hundreds upon hundreds of enemies, just to be rewarded with having to mash X against hundreds more enemies. Stay far, far away from Drakengard 2.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Momomo posted:

I found nothing fun about mashing the same X combo over and over against hundreds upon hundreds of enemies, just to be rewarded with having to mash X against hundreds more enemies.

As I said, Dynasty Warriors. :v:

I'm not really sure what the genre term is. It plays better than Drakengard 1 at least. It tried to have more varied combos to weapons, gave the other player characters slightly more utility than just "win button", by giving them strengths and weakness against certain enemy types. And the camera and movement controls were better too.

Alright, it's shallow and mindless as gently caress, but compared to Drakengard 1's "X,X,X,X,X, triangle, X,X,X,X,X [ad infinitum]" it's fun enough in it's own way. Depends on your tolerance, I guess. :shobon:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

It plays better than Drakengard 1 at least.

I know comparing a sequel to its predecessor is usually how you'd go about this, but...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

sleeptalker posted:

Don't forgot about 2, read Dark Id's LP instead and marvel at how utterly incompetent the writing is to the point where the heroes are such awful and unlikeable characters that the unrepentant child-killing madman is the only sympathetic character.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Just want to restate that in Drakengard 2, Caim kills a man so hard that Death itself dies.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Dengeki's special Drakengard page posted an article rounding up what we know about the characters so far, which I thought you guys might find interesting:

quote:

ZERO
"Just wait, my beloved little sisters… I'm coming to kill you all."
Voiced by: Maaya Uchida

The main character, and the eldest of the Intoners, beings who possess abilities far beyond those of an average human. Her casual attitude toward sex, violent nature and hair-trigger temper put her at odds with the calm and disciplined One. Along with Mikhail, she is on a quest to eliminate her blood-related younger sisters. A mysterious flower blooms in the place her left eye should be.

Her side story is narrated by a prostitute nicknamed 'Light Pink' after the color of her eyes. While it hasn't been confirmed, all signs point to them being the same person. Light Pink suffered abuse from her mother which made her wary of trusting others. This trait worsened as she was betrayed by the few people she came close to opening her heart to. In order to survive, she thinks nothing of selling her body or even killing people; something has been irreversibly broken within her. Eventually Light Pink comes down with a terminal illness and is caught by the authorities for her crimes of murder. She curses the world as she dies, and the story ends with a beautiful flower blooming before her. Could this flower be the same as the one blooming in Zero's eye? Is the flower perhaps related to those spoken of in the weapon story Blossom of the Pilgrim?

In the Utahime Five manga she is already referred to by the young One as a traitor and is the object of her contempt. In both the prequel manga and the first trailer, she has been shown without her eye flower, which is a point of interest. Director Taro Yoko has commented that the flower contains the truth about everything, including the reason why Zero feels compelled to kill the other Intoners.

From what can be gathered from the trailers and gameplay videos, Zero has a rough and somewhat wild personality. However, she does sometimes speak gently to Mikhail and shows concern for Decad when he gets sand in his eyes. It's unknown how she persuades her sister's former apostles to help her. Considering she gets made fun of by Dito for gnawing on raw meat she found on the ground and lectured by Decad for attacking wolves, it doesn't seem like she is controlling or forcing them to act against their wills.

MIKHAIL
"Get on, Zero! We'll fight together!"
Voiced by: Nao Toyama

A member of the proud dragon race, and Zero's partner. A pacifist and idealist who prefers to settle disputes using words, his naivety is a constant source of irritation to Zero. He himself in unaware of what about him bothers her, though. Possessing great draconian strength, he has gotten Zero out of many tight pinches. Mikhail is what he is called in his current incarnation; in his past life, he was called by a different name.

His conversations with Zero and the apostles indicate he is quite young, at least in mind-frame. He has a clear sense of right and wrong which makes him perhaps the most normal out of the entire cast. In any case, he does not appear to look down on humans in the way Angelus and Legna did. His easily excitable and charmingly childish behavior is nothing like the usual image of uptight, close-hearted dragon.

Zero mentions that she doesn't like riding on him because his back smells badly enough that it makes her want to vomit. In spite of her verbal abuse, Mikhail seems very attached to Zero. What lead to their partnering up?

FIVE
"I don't mind if you wish to touch my astonishingly well-developed breasts!"
Voiced by: Shizuka Itou

The youngest of the Intoner sisters. Prideful and gluttonous, she craves after things only to lose interest the minute they enter her hands. Despite her refined manner of speaking, she enjoys making lewd references to sex. It's not an exaggeration to say that her personality is a bit vulgar. She turns her greedy desire even onto her older sister Zero. Her apostle is Dito.

Five delights in wearing gorgeous gowns, decking herself in expensive accessories, eating (Dito says she consumes enough for three people) and having sex (although Dito also mentions she's unable to feel bodily pleasure). It's unknown whether her greed was always this pronounced or if it is a more recent thing; perhaps she only feels validated the few fleeting moments she possesses something new. During her short story, there's a moment when she seems about the remember her father. As little has been mentioned about the Intoner's parents so far, this is another point of interest.

The prequel manga Utahime Five reveals that even when they were younger, her body was already far more developed than Four's. When using her power of song in battle, she releases a beam that hits the enemy for major damage. Another interesting tidbit is how the glyphs that show up as the Intoners use their powers are similar to those associated with the Sealed Verses in Nier.

DITO
"Hey, I haven't given you permission to get so excited!"
Voiced by: Mitsuki Saiga

An apostle serving under Five. He fights with a long lance nearly as big as himself. A beautiful boy with a keen insight that allows him to quickly analyze others. However, he mostly uses that insight to hurt people deeply. He has a sadistic personality and enjoys watching the pained expressions and hearing the screams of others.

While he does not enjoy his relationship with Five, she uses her power to exert control over not only his actions and words but even his facial expressions. Dito is forced to play the part of Five's ideal apostle, but she can't go as far as to influence his true feelings and thoughts. On the surface he appears to be loyal and subservient to Five, but in his heart are cruel and bitter thoughts toward her, contrasting the way he is portrayed in her short story.

He mentions that an Intoner's wild libido is as a result of their heightened powers, but whether that is true or just his guess is not yet clear. In his conversations with Zero and the other apostles, he likes poking fun at others. It seems that under Zero, he is free to behave as he truly is.

FOUR
"I don't wish to fight you, my sister… Zero…"
Voiced by: Ayana Taketatsu

The fifth and second youngest Intoner sister. She reigns over the Mountain Kingdom. She has a serious personality and listens carefully to the words of others. Even among her sisters, she stands out as being intelligent and skilled. Yet she is plagued by deep feelings of inferiority. As opposed the the rest of the Intoners who are free with their appetites, she keeps a strict hold on her impulses. As a result she is the only one among them who is still a virgin.

Her side story depicts the everyday life of the Intoner sisters, yet also illustrates the darkness lurking in Four's heart. It is shown that she has many self-esteem issues, including feeling she is flat-chested. Principled and almost matronly, she looks after her sisters and even sings their praises at first, but doing so makes her frustrated to the point where she inevitably blows up. Her two-faced nature marks her as a very Drakengard-esque character. Another point of interest is that Decad garners not a single mention by her in her story.

The prequel Utahime Five manga tells us her IQ is over 300 and she is calls herself the brains behind the operation. Apparently her fingernails grow at an alarming pace. In battle she is shown analyzing the enemy's weaknesses and not actively fighting. She is also shown to be skilled in defensive magic.

In the second trailer, she is shown embracing Zero and also calls out her sister's name in her sleep. While the other sisters either hate or are indifferent to Zero, only Four continues to think fondly of her, even saying in her side story that she wouldn't mind sacrificing the others if it meant it could just be them two again.

DECAD
"This is hard, and… painful! Oh… ohhh…"
Voiced by: Inoue Kazuhiko

The apostle serving under Four. He fights using his own muscular body as a weapon. He seems more reasonable than the other apostles and treats women like a gentleman. Yet, in reality, he is an intense masochist who delights even in the pain he experiences while fighting. He himself believes he is doing a good job masking this component of his personality, but it couldn't be more obvious to the people around him.

He is depicted in his short story as extremely focused on personal fetishes. At first glance he does seem to be a faithful servant ready to sacrifice everything for Four, but as the story proceeds we see this isn't really true. Even the act of dying for her is just part of his indulging his masochism. Initially Four seems to trust Decad and begins opening her heart to him. However, upon discovering his unfortunate inclinations, she becomes aghast and starts to distance herself from him. Decad just interprets this as just more play between them, however. You'll finish the story feeling badly for Four.

In the trailer he is shown looking at Zero with a pained expression, and kneeling to pledge his loyalty to her; one has to wonder if he is thinking the same things as he was while pledging loyalty to Four. During gameplay, he seems to serve the role of joke character, being picked on by the rest of the party and seeming to enjoy himself even when sand gets in his eyes. He has been compared to Leonard by fans, but Leonard comes off as much more sane, not to mention better at hiding his proclivities.

Octa's story should also be up sometime soon.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

No, there's two things anyone who hasn't played Nier yet deserves to know: The first is that the beach where you're supposed to catch the mandatory fish is NOT where you got your rod, it's the beach beyond the small tunnel, the one you'd use to get to the lighthouse anyway. The second is don't play on Hard mode or else your fun will be short-lived.

With those tips, you've got no reason to not finish the game beyond incompetence, and with Nier, you really need to suck to not finish it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Oxxidation posted:

Just want to restate that in Drakengard 2, Caim kills a man so hard that Death itself dies.

Also. when given the choice between trying to kill Caim and trying to kill a fearsome fire-breathing dragon, they decide the dragon would be an easier target.

A Bystander posted:

No, there's two things anyone who hasn't played Nier yet deserves to know: The first is that the beach where you're supposed to catch the mandatory fish is NOT where you got your rod, it's the beach beyond the small tunnel, the one you'd use to get to the lighthouse anyway. The second is don't play on Hard mode or else your fun will be short-lived.

With those tips, you've got no reason to not finish the game beyond incompetence, and with Nier, you really need to suck to not finish it.

One other thing worth noting: when it comes to sidequests, follow this handy dandy flowchart to the letter

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Zero fear, do all sidequests.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Completing all of the sidequests allows the game to display a level of hatred most video games these days don't have. It builds character, completing tasks such as gardening in real time to create ten of a rare type of flower that takes literal hours to show up (go read a book or get a job, you hippy), or waiting for a certain fish to finally loving pop up as you struggle with not losing it after 30 minutes of waiting and/or catching other poo poo under the false belief that doing so will empty out the area and let you catch the one you want before you realize that this is a video game and it doesn't work like that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
After getting Platinum in Nier I was able to chew through steel, flip cars, and fly as far as I wanted. It also made me a sad, miserable lump of life that begged for the ride to end.

So, if you can handle the latter, have fun with the former! If not, just play the game in whatever way causes the least amount of stress.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I did all the sidequests required to get Platinum. Then I did the rest of them. Nier broke me, and it was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

A Bystander posted:

No, there's two things anyone who hasn't played Nier yet deserves to know

Oh, yeah. Forgot about that fishing thing. It always seems to give some people trouble. :v:
As a third thing to know about Nier, related to that, always follow the mini-map.

• Locked thread