Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
I gambled almost all my reward coins from last event and have a Magneto Now who is 5/0/3. So my question for anyone out there in the know, is it worth it at this point to start pumping him full of ISO even though I haven't seen a single purple cover for him and now need five of them? I'm super interested in that clear the board tile, but a 4 turn countdown and the aforementioned lack of his purple skill are making me consider spending ISO somewhere else, like working on maxing CStorm.

He is going to need some decent leveling, because I sure as poo poo gun him down early when I see him on opposing teams due to his naturally low HP. I like having my pvp dudes have scary and/or regenerating health that shy folks away, much like a cat making himself look big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

JHVH-1 posted:

I'm gonna have fun.

So am I

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Chuds McGreedy posted:

I gambled almost all my reward coins from last event and have a Magneto Now who is 5/0/3. So my question for anyone out there in the know, is it worth it at this point to start pumping him full of ISO even though I haven't seen a single purple cover for him and now need five of them? I'm super interested in that clear the board tile, but a 4 turn countdown and the aforementioned lack of his purple skill are making me consider spending ISO somewhere else, like working on maxing CStorm.

He is going to need some decent leveling, because I sure as poo poo gun him down early when I see him on opposing teams due to his naturally low HP. I like having my pvp dudes have scary and/or regenerating health that shy folks away, much like a cat making himself look big.
Huh, my marvel now Magneto is 0/3/4. I think I am going to try to do 4/5/4, but that is funny that neither of us have gotten one cover in particular. I hope there is an X-Men tournament at some point.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

SynthOrange posted:

Oh for fucks sake... should remember to put my thor in rather than generic thor.

My "problem" is that I've been building a spare Thor with extra covers, so I have three Thors on that screen :D (my spare Thor is only 1/3/0 right now, but he'll grow up and kick your rear end some day!)

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Yeah man, it's kinda weird. I actually had a fourth red cover but people in the thread have me convinced maxing out his purple would be better so I sold it.

With good reason too, summoning blues to make your own cascades sounds amazing, especially if the crit tile afterward is involved in some buffed character tomfoolery (just now had a red tile Thor crit for like 2000 damage, what the hell is that?!)

Maybe with Storm getting a bit of the limelight this event, they're building up to an x-men event. It would make sense what with the new Brotherhood damage boost we all started finding recently.

Chuds McGreedy fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 11, 2013

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
My Thor just did 1600 damage with a two green tile crit.

:catstare:

I may have to rethink my Thor lineup...

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

With a red/yellow boost and an all-AP boost, a maxed-out Thor can kill a maxed-out Ragnarok on turn 0 with only cursory luck. This is going to be a bloodbath.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
My meager level 61 Thor's red attack does 2033 damage! Yeah, I'm keeping that Iron Man 40 out just in case the tiles suck. :getin:

Gallow fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 11, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Non-levelled Thor-havers better be guardin their asses today.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I've been attacked seven times in the last half hour, and I'm not even ranked that high. I get the feeling this tournament's going to have a lot of hard swings (even moreso if they fix the stupid tile buff problem).

If nothing else this has finally gotten me to turn off versus notifications because Goddamn I don't need my iPad lighting up every three minutes.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Non-levelled Thor-havers better be guardin their asses today.

It honestly doesn't matter what your team is made of, it's dead in 3 turns at the cost of some boosts. This is insane. The rivers will run red with ISO as it only takes like 30 seconds to murder any given team with relatively minimal losses.

edit: this song is going through my head constantly as I bash my way to the hero point reward: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfwteoZCvoY

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 11, 2013

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

vibratingsheep posted:

It honestly doesn't matter what your team is made of, it's dead in 3 turns at the cost of some boosts. This is insane.

Boosts? We don't need no steenkin' boosts!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

vibratingsheep posted:

It honestly doesn't matter what your team is made of, it's dead in 3 turns at the cost of some boosts. This is insane. The rivers will run red with ISO as it only takes like 30 seconds to murder any given team with relatively minimal losses.

Sometimes even faster than 3 turns! I just used boosts to get +6 red and yellow to start, used Mjolnir's Might to 1 shot their Classic Storm, which created a yellow T shape which led to a critical that landed in between 2 more yellow tiles, which 1 shotted their Iron Man, which gave me enough yellow AP to Thunder Strike to 1 shot their Thor. The other team literally didn't get a single move. :stonk:

e: Thor is so strong in this tournament that it will almost 100% boil down to "Do you have a high level Thor? y/n". Nothing else matters at all.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 11, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

MeramJert posted:

Sometimes even faster than 3 turns! I just used boosts to get +6 red and yellow to start, used Mjolnir's Might to 1 shot their Classic Storm, which created a yellow T shape which led to a critical that landed in between 2 more yellow tiles, which 1 shotted their Iron Man, which gave me enough yellow AP to Thunder Strike to 1 shot their Thor. The other team literally didn't get a single move. :stonk:

e: Thor is so strong in this tournament that it will almost 100% boil down to "Do you have a high level Thor? y/n". Nothing else matters at all.

I'm pulling out the Thor wolverine daken combo. I'm hoping that team's passives are annoying enough people leave me alone. There is really no other way of keep people from eating your team alive, except to be annoying enough that go for someone else's.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shwqa posted:

I'm pulling out the Thor wolverine daken combo. I'm hoping that team's passives are annoying enough people leave me alone.

That's exactly my team too. I just need more Wolverine covers. I'm currently sitting at 69 Thor/61 Daken/38 Wolverine.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

vibratingsheep posted:

edit: this song is going through my head constantly as I bash my way to the hero point reward: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfwteoZCvoY

I've been going with Twilight of the Thunder God
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3WJX1cIuY4

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

First turn massacre coming up.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
This is a very good time to strike. Everyone without Thor selected has the level 6 one up are easy pickings.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just noticed that Thor's hammer in the new animation for his green power is all wrong and it's going to bug the hell out of me everytime I see it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

SynthOrange posted:

I just noticed that Thor's hammer in the new animation for his green power is all wrong and it's going to bug the hell out of me everytime I see it.

Your matches last long enough to use the green power? :confused:

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I've just been subjected to my first-ever rear end-kicking.

Level 6 Thor and lv-20 Modern Black Widow and Modern Storm. Should't be too hard right?

Lucky cascade, mistress of the elements, cascade, lightning storm, cascade, widow sting, aggressive recon, lightning storm, mistress of the elements, dead.

I got to make about 3 moves in all of this :gonk: I wish I adopted this game earlier so I had more Thor covers or something.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

So uh, time to start building a backup Thor :dance:

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

SynthOrange posted:

Oh for fucks sake... should remember to put my thor in rather than generic thor.

I've already made this mistake twice. It will cost you 1/3 your team health unless you fell like watching them crushed.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
The trick to the Thor tournament is make sure Thor dies before he makes a match. Classic Storm makes this a little trickier.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Well, I can't say I didn't see it coming. At 10 PM last night I had 1100 points and went to bed expecting a massacre. This morning: "You were a Top 75 finisher." Thank you "and others!" At least I can get the yellow Thor I need if I claw my way to 800 points in a "let's buff the one guy everyone's already leveled" tournament.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
My dudes are mid-twenties, entering 30. I keep skipping in the Thor arena, but apparently everyone is my bracket have dudes level 30-50. :stare:

Hey alright, I got 1k iso and a lightning token, let's skill up c-storm and Thor!...or two modern storm. Who is already 5/4/4. Also nice. :smith:

Edit 3: haha! Another classic storm from the lighting cover! It's funny because gently caress you game. Thor is 2/2/2, c-storm is 1/2/2. I need Covers.

Deep Winter fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 11, 2013

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
This is rigoddamndiculous.

Thor - Storm is even worse than before, because if you let the other Thor get to six reds you get your choice: either let Thor one-shot your Storm (if you can match a color that puts her up front), or Mjolnir triggers your Storm no matter who else it hits and then whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh teamkill.

A cascade or Containment Breach put a critical tile where a Thor can go red-red-crit? Enjoy your 2000 damage.

Already sold three perfectly good covers today (Thor Green, Thor Green, Storm Yellow) because I have no use for them. Thor Yellow at 800 points shouldn't be too bad to reach in a couple of days, at least.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
I thought I was going to hate this tournament with my measly level 45 Thor. Turns out with color boosts I can just smash my way through any team without taking damage, so I made my way up to 500 points for a card draw. Was hoping for a Ragnarok and got a Loki. Not terrible I guess.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I go back for another fight without swapping my team and forget they replace the Thor and wondering why it's taking so long to get my special powers out before I realize what happened.

My injured leveled up Thor is better than that one they give you any day.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I got up to 850 points on the bus ride home from work, with the #2 in my bracket at 550. After dinner I was already back down to 500. But at least I got the yellow Thor cover, which completes my Thor. Now I just need enough iso to boost him the last 10 levels.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Buffed Thor is amazing. Just had a battle I started with the all AP Stockpile and the Red/Yellow one. One-shotted Classic Storm with Mjolnir's Might, that charged Thunder Strike, and then I one-shotted Thor with that, and the fallout from that one-shotted Iron Man. :getin:

edit: and I just realised that this is possible to have every single battle. Even with the worst prizes, three battles gives you 210 Iso. It costs 300 to buy both boosts, and you get three a pop, enough for three battles. As long as you keep a little bit of Iso in reserve, it's basically free!

McDragon fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 11, 2013

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I've gotten at least 7 of Daken's purple covers and zero of his black covers. Ugh.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I've got my 5/4/3 Thor up to level 66. I've gotten two Classic Storm blue covers to max the skill out at 3/5/3 and she's level 53. I'm at 530 points overall and will probably hit 800 sometime today to get the last Thor cover I need.

This is the greatest tournament yet.

EDIT: I am too giddy from this stupid game right now. Since I currently have 22 cover slots, I just dropped some gold on a Heroic token. What do I end up getting? YELLOW THOR. Keep that ISO coming, guys!

Gallow fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 11, 2013

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Catharsis

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Pfft. Got to 793 and the dogpile on me began. I'm going to have to wait a couple of hours for my heals to recharge fully and then try to claw back to 800 that way, plus put together an ISO pile for boosts for rapid wins.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

delfin posted:

Pfft. Got to 793 and the dogpile on me began. I'm going to have to wait a couple of hours for my heals to recharge fully and then try to claw back to 800 that way, plus put together an ISO pile for boosts for rapid wins.

I was at 750 before the wolves started to attack. Time to wait until lunch and keep building up that spare Thor!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm at 330 and fifth place. I wish my bracket would wake the gently caress up.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

death .cab for qt posted:

I'm at 330 and fifth place. I wish my bracket would wake the gently caress up.

I made it to 600, knocked back to 490 and i'm still #1 in my bracket for now. I'm imagining a whole horde of max level Thors in mexican hammer standoffs or something.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I'm stuck in 2nd constantly around 600 now that the rest of the world woke up. A least the first place guy got knocked down from over 700 to 646. I'm fresh out of heals because someone just beat me at my own IM Model 40 red mana battery game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I've been super lucky with Spider Man covers, so having his stun at 2 blue AP is a lifesaver for this crazy tournament. The only problem is I never got around to leveling him up very much. I guess that's where all my ISO will be going this week.