Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/1LaneOnly this account in general really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
So true.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ahahahahaha what in the hell is this?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

(Though I do like how Diaby just stays dead)

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

hail satan

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Oh good, haven't come across one of these threads in a while, with some bonus Serb-shaming to boot.

quote:

As an American soccer fan it's hard not to wonder how guys with the physical/athletic profile of NBA guards would do in soccer - think Dwyane Wade, Derrick Rose who are 6'3"-6'4". Assuming that the ball skills and tactical acumen are there - would they be dominant athletic freaks, or a step slower than their smaller colleagues?

quote:

I've always wondered about that too....I'd like to think these players would be fast enough to latch themselves into through balls and beat their marker in a 1v1 foot race.

I also think NBA point guards like Wade and Rose would be able to win a lot of headers based on their leaping ability.

He'd be nice to take a young collegue basketball athlete who may not be drafted and get him to pick up soccer and see how that pans out...That player would have to be very athletic, be able to run and dunk easily.

First would be to practice his first touch, then dribble...after that, let the athleticism take over.

quote:

European countries don't produce premium quality athletes at the volume that we do here in the USA. Someone mentioned Serbia a couple posts up. Their record in the 100m is 10.33. That's a very fast time, but there are high school kids peppered throughout the USA who can run that time. We probably have hundreds of athletes in our country right now who are faster than the fastest Serb in history.

If you look at a guy like Cristiano Ronaldo, part of what makes him a great player is that he has a huge amount of skill. But another part of it is that he has a rare combination of size, speed, quickness, and strength. We have stacks upon stacks upon stacks of big fast guys here. More than any other country. I'm sure a few of them would have been able to develop the necessary skill to play soccer. And maybe those guys would've been "freaks" in the same sense that Ronaldo is. So maybe you would've seen an awesome 6'3" winger or 6'8" striker.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Ignoring all the other countless reasons Zola should go now for the moment, the signing and playing of McEachran is making me sick. This player is arrogant without the talent and strolls around as if he is something special and doing us a favour simply by playing. He is lightweight and worst of all lacks heart.

It is outrageous that he is picked above Battochio who is not only more talented but has a hundred times more heart and passion.

There is no difference between McEachran and Paolo Vernazza from the past.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Ninpo posted:

(Though I do like how Diaby just stays dead)
Arsenal fans just loving love anime.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

Their record in the 100m is 10.33. That's a very fast time, but there are high school kids peppered throughout the USA who can run that time. We probably have hundreds of athletes in our country right now who are faster than the fastest Serb in history.

ah ha ha ha , that's loving precious. Someone who has no idea just how fast 10.33 is posting about athletics. 89 people ever have run sub 10, but I'm sure theres tons of school children running AAA standard times.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

jre posted:

ah ha ha ha , that's loving precious. Someone who has no idea just how fast 10.33 is posting about athletics. 89 people ever have run sub 10, but I'm sure theres tons of school children running AAA standard times.

Sub 10 and 10.33 are not even in the same stratosphere in track and field to be fair, and there are probably a couple dozen kids in the US that can run in the 10.3-10.5 range.

The US high school 100m record is 10.01.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

jre posted:

I know a high school sophomore (16 year old) who ran a 10.35. There are a shitload of amazing athletes in the US but that doesn't translate to success at soccer (or even watchable matches).

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

quote:

Clippety clippety-Klopp
The Arse ran down the clock,
And Robert kept falling down,
Like a bit of a clown,
Clippety clippety-Klopp!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

vaginal culture posted:

I know a high school sophomore (16 year old) who ran a 10.35. There are a shitload of amazing athletes in the US but that doesn't translate to success at soccer (or even watchable matches).

Bolt needs to actually play for Man utd to prove this to everyone instead of him signing as a marketing stunt

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

T Fowl posted:

Clippety clippety-Klopp
The Arse ran down the clock,
And Robert kept falling down,
Like a bit of a clown,
Clippety clippety-Klopp!

It's like someone never heard the original rhyme.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
What the gently caress is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE3zeB-h3NA

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

This is incredible. Absolutely the right thread, but incredible.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

T Fowl posted:

What the gently caress is this
the best footballing video on all of Youtube

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Holy poo poo. This is amazing ahahaha

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

:magical:

The best footy youtube vid every ?

E: please tell me someone has tweeted it to him.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Shrapnac posted:

This is incredible. Absolutely the right thread, but incredible.

Absolutely the wrong thread.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Ninpo posted:

Absolutely the wrong thread.

Just because it's tongue in cheek doesn't mean it's good. Catchy tune though.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

T Fowl posted:

Just because it's tongue in cheek doesn't mean it's good. Catchy tune though.
True but that video is hilarious

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I'm not sure I can cope with the idea of an Arsenal fan making a Youtube video (or having an opinion about anything, ever), and it actually being funny and self-aware

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Growing ironicat would get me probated, correct?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Holy poo poo, amazing. I love it.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
So that's what The Darkness have been up to lately.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

quote:

Said it before about [AVB], but the reason people find him hard to like is that he's ridiculously posh.

He's upper class portugese. He's been educated at their equivalent of eton, it's why he appears aloof and not entirely comfortable with people, he's used to them beng servants.

It's funny, no one that posh would ever be accepted if they were British (maybe they would, maybe I'm being too harsh), but him being portugese means we don't recognise him as posh from his accent.

Hes a toff!

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

agreed no one from Eton would ever gain any office of prominence in this country loving scum

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Modus Trollens posted:

agreed no one from Eton would ever gain any office of prominence in this country loving scum
Considering the Sun called Rooney a snob for going back to school to get a couple of CGSEs, this probably isn't too far from the truth wrt football managers.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

Considering the Sun called Rooney a snob for going back to school to get a couple of CGSEs, this probably isn't too far from the truth wrt football managers.

Jesus loving Christ.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

Embarrassing isnt it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The worst part is that the Sun's sports hacks are probably all Oxbridge graduates, being needlessly lovely about a young man trying to get a better education.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

The worst part is that the Sun's sports hacks are probably all Oxbridge graduates, being needlessly lovely about a young man trying to get a better education.

Pure hatred of the working class, otherwise known as their readers.
I've known enough tabloid journalist to know they think this is hi-loving-larious.

Cunts.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

St Evan Echoes posted:

the sun is literally mostly Old Etonians loving lmao

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

St Evan Echoes posted:

I assume they call him a "boffin" in the full article?

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Mickolution posted:

I assume they call him a "boffin" in the full article?

ive read it before and im 90% sure they do

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
The Premier League Table based on "deserved" points vs actually earned points looks like this:

1) Man City 25
2) Spurs 23
3) Southampton 21
4) Arsenal 19
5) Chelsea 19
6) Liverpool 18
7) Everton 16
8) Man Utd 15

This is based on looking at each game in terms of shots on target...both for + against ....and calculating net result + or -
i.e. 7 shots on target vs conceding 5 shots = net +2 shots.
+3 or more shots = clear win / +2 shots = tight win / + or - 1 shot = draw / -2 shots = tight loss / -3 or more shots = clear loss.
(Methodology for awarding points explained at end of post)

The two clubs who are entitled to feel a bit "unlucky" based on their actual domination of games are City + Spurs.... but for different reasons.

City actually have the highest conversion rate of shots on target into goals in the entire PL (>40%) i.e. we can't blame our strikers
The problem is that the conversion rate of shots against us is easily the highest of all the top teams (36% compared to average of 23%). i.e. it takes >4 shots on target to score one goal against Chelsea, Arsenal etc but only 3 shots against us.
Translation: we are either unlucky or have had a poorer goalkeeper than other top teams.

For Spurs...they have a staggeringly low conversion rate of shots on target (13%)... compared to an average of around 30% for other top teams.
i.e. it is taking them >7 shots on target to score a goal while Arsenal only need 3 shots on tgt to score one.
Translation: they are either unlucky or have a poorer quality strike-force than other top teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.
Interesting analysis.

The City front line is obviously hitting tremendous form with the exception of the Sunderland mishap. Although a handful of lopsided results must have skewed the results a little. Dismantling Norwich 7-0 following 10 shots on target is a boost against the two shots Norwich had. Even the 4-0 against Newcastle who suffered a red card just before half time will pad the stats.

That's not taking away from the performances though. The team does have to put in the work either way, it's just worth keeping in mind.

To comment on your translations, it does seem as though Hart is out of form and the Spurs strike force is rubbish. Well, Hart is out of form according to pundits. I've always been quite keen on him though so I'll blame the defense haha.