Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
I cleaned out a drawer in my kitchen today and found about a hundred bucks in Indigo Chapters gift cards (Canadian) which was a great surprise. However, I have a Kindle Paperwhite. I already use Calibre to load on the free books I download, but have no idea where to get started getting Kobo ebooks onto my Kindle.

Anyone know where to point me to get me started? Or, does anyone want to buy me kindle books and I'll send you my chapters gc numbers? I'd give you a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Doppelganger posted:

I have a Kindle Paperwhite, any recommendations for the best way to disinfect the screen without damaging it? I bought a ScreenDr kit today, and it says it has an antibacterial cloth, but no idea what that actually means.

Is there any reason an LCD cleaner would damage an E-Ink screen?

Nope. I use my screen cleaner on my Kindle all the time.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

hotsauce posted:

Had the original PW. The light was a cold blue tint and horribly uneven. Traded it in on Amazon before the PW2 launched (got $95 for it). Upgraded to the PW2 and the light tint is much warmer and natural, not to mention no splotchiness.

It is an upgrade in every way since you stare at the screen 100% of the time. Highly recommend the PW2. I do wish it had physical page turn buttons and a speaker (for audio TTS reading) though. Still hanging onto my K3 for that.

This irritation with the original PW is baffling to me. I have one - I've never seen a blue tint, and the lighting seems fairly even to me, except for a very small section near the bottom.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nihiliste posted:

This irritation with the original PW is baffling to me. I have one - I've never seen a blue tint, and the lighting seems fairly even to me, except for a very small section near the bottom.

Some people are more OCD than you, it seems.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Some people are more OCD than you, it seems.

OCD doesn't kick in until you have a PW1 and PW2 side by side. I'm not sperging. The difference is apparent.

But hey if you never see a PW2 you're good to go.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Pympede posted:

I cleaned out a drawer in my kitchen today and found about a hundred bucks in Indigo Chapters gift cards (Canadian) which was a great surprise. However, I have a Kindle Paperwhite. I already use Calibre to load on the free books I download, but have no idea where to get started getting Kobo ebooks onto my Kindle.

Anyone know where to point me to get me started? Or, does anyone want to buy me kindle books and I'll send you my chapters gc numbers? I'd give you a good deal.

There is a solution for you involving :filez:.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pympede posted:

Google "kobo drm calibre" for some possibilities.

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Nihiliste posted:

The original PW also varied a lot in quality. The original one I received was terrible, very noticeable blue and pink splotches, a big unlit area in the center, etc. I asked them for a replacement, and the second one still had some uneven lighting, and some blue splotches that were really only noticeable when reading in the dark, but overall was much better. However, next to the paperwhite 2, it still looks horribly discolored and uneven.

And this has nothing to do with the four light spots on the bottom. I’m aware they’re unavoidable due to the original PW design. The issues I was seeing were in the middle/upper right area of the screen.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I went through 4(?) Paperwhites before getting a really good one. This thread mocked me at the time, but there really seemed to be a lot of QC issues, and the differences between the initial ones and the one I ended up with were very noticeable. I'm sure the Paperwhite 2 looks even better, but the difference between it and my current one will inevitably be much less than the difference between it and some of the lesser-quality models out there.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Seems like I lucked out, then. I was happy with mine on the first try, but then I did wait a little past launch before I got one.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013
I ordered a paperwhite back in January, and it has worked perfectly for me, then and now. (I like how you can set the lighting to the lowest setting, and you can read it in just about any type of light.)

Is the new paperwhite a must-have, or is it more like the difference between the iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s?

I just use this thing to read books.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 10, 2013

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Jakcson posted:

I ordered a paperwhite back in January, and it has worked perfectly for me, then and now. (I like how you can set the lighting to the lowest setting, and you can read it in just about any type of light.)

Is the new paperwhite a must-have, or is it more like the difference between the iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s?

Nope, I wouldn't even really say it's as substantial as the difference between the 5c and the 5s. It's a nice improvement for someone who didn't have an eReader before, or a non-paperwhite ereader, but it's really not that much better than the old paperwhite.

minute
Jul 31, 2003

It's a very incremental upgrade. The only reason I upgraded was that I didn't do very well in the frontlight lottery for the original paperwhite and still noticed blotches under some circumstances, which I heard was fixed in the new paperwhite. If you don't have any issues with your screen/light, it's definitely not worth upgrading.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Jakcson posted:

A more apt comparison is it's more like the difference between the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5c.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
I'd really love to buy a PW but I just can't justify it when my Keyboard/lighted cover are still kicking along just fine. Only issue I have is the traditional bottom corner cracks in the plastic.

I almost wish it would break so I'd be forced to update.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did Staples, the last Kindle bastion in Canada, finally give up the good fight and switch to Kobo? I didn't see any Kindles last time I was there :(

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Martytoof posted:

Did Staples, the last Kindle bastion in Canada, finally give up the good fight and switch to Kobo? I didn't see any Kindles last time I was there :(

Doesn't Best Buy/Futureshop have Kindles up there?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Doesn't Best Buy/Futureshop have Kindles up there?

I don't know about FS but BestBuy was Kobo.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
At least Kobos are worth a drat these days!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Kindle Paperwhite (1st gen) 5.3.9 update:

Amazon posted:

Hide Reading Progress Option

While reading, tap the bottom left of the screen to switch between four reading progress options, including Location in book, Time left in chapter, Time left in book, and None, which hides your reading progress from the bottom of the screen. To learn more, go to View Your Reading Progress.
Improved PDF Performance

General performance and stability improvements for PDF files.
Improved Homonym Lookup in Chinese and Japanese

Source.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Nihiliste posted:

Yeah I love my Kobo Aura HD. I dunno why more people don't look into it!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Guitarchitect posted:

Because Kobo has nowhere near the name recognition of Amazon, and Kobo also was known to associate with several brick & mortar bookstores that collapsed in recent years.

Also Kobo did this weird thing where apparently they're going to stop selling it by 2014? I don't know why but that was in the announcements they made when it launched.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Guitarchitect posted:

Yeah, with the demise of Borders, Kobo seems to have largely pulled out of the US market outside of independent bookstores. Granted they seem to be the go-to reader in Canada and Japan.

Also, I'm not sure what the purpose of the Aura HD really was. If anything their e-readers seem to overlap with the needs of their userbase.

I do love my Glo though!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Source.

Bison_yes.gif

I can't believe they added this. The progress bar was so distracting and really, useless to me. I submitted it as a complaint somewhere, do you think Amazon listened to me? :allears:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hope and vaseline posted:

Also, I'm not sure what the purpose of the Aura HD really was. If anything their e-readers seem to overlap with the needs of their userbase.

It's a modern larger screen ereader, since the Kindle DX still hasn't been updated since 2010. Though it's only 6.8 inch instead of 9.7 inch, so it's not quite the same level of bigger screen.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Install Windows posted:

It's a modern larger screen ereader, since the Kindle DX still hasn't been updated since 2010. Though it's only 6.8 inch instead of 9.7 inch, so it's not quite the same level of bigger screen.

it also has a higher pixel density, i think it's borderline retina-level? it's certainly a lot nicer to read than their other offerings...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Guitarchitect posted:

it also has a higher pixel density, i think it's borderline retina-level? it's certainly a lot nicer to read than their other offerings...

Retina isn't a real thing, anything high density is "retina level". It's slightly higher pixel density then the Kindle Paperwhite and the Kobo Glo, which are themselves a good deal higher pixel density then older ereaders.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Source.

Nice! Always wanted to get rid of that.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
Two similar questions about problems I just started having with my Nook. I have the Simple Touch with GL and recently started using it again after not picking it up for about 2 months. Obviously it was dead so I charged it up and put some books on it and all was good. Until I noticed the time was seriously off.

I had it set for Eastern and the time was off by an hour, I figured it was a DST issue and just switched the time zone to Atlantic because I don't really care about that, but is this something known or is mine freaking out?

Also with time, it's now off by ~10 minutes, which I do care about, same questions as above, is this known/how do I fix it?
Thanks.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Did you turn on the wi-fi and let it connect to the internet? The time is supposed to be synced automatically online. Try setting your time zone then connecting to the internet again and seeing if that fixes it. If not, try erasing and deregistering, shutting it down completely, then re-registering it. And if that doesn't work, I'd get them to exchange it.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Did you turn on the wi-fi and let it connect to the internet? The time is supposed to be synced automatically online. Try setting your time zone then connecting to the internet again and seeing if that fixes it. If not, try erasing and deregistering, shutting it down completely, then re-registering it. And if that doesn't work, I'd get them to exchange it.

Connecting to Wifi fixed it right away, even corrected my time zone, thanks.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

ilysespieces posted:

Connecting to Wifi fixed it right away, even corrected my time zone, thanks.
Oh cool! I have the Simple Touch, and sometimes leave the wi-fi off for a good month, but I've never left it unused for that long. It must just fall out of sync after a while.

Lady Xava
Dec 1, 2006
Is anybody else having any issues with kobobooks.com charging incorrect taxes? Tried to buy a book the other day and I was being charged GST and HST, problem being my province doesn't have HST. I contacted support and was told to clear my cookies but it didn't work :( Kobo support said they'll look into it but I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas.

Edit: Found a way around it for now! :) Using the Kobo desktop app let me purchase my books at the correct tax rate but their website is still wrong for whatever reason. Guess I'll actually use the app now.

Lady Xava fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 14, 2013

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Nihiliste posted:

Man, have you seen the new Kobo Aura? The thing is like a tiny ipad with an eink screen. Capacitive touch screen completely flush with the bezel and it still has the glow feature. Light as a feather too.

I was impressed, I assume amazon will be playing catchup next year.

Strange times we live in where Kobo is making more advanced ereaders than amazon. It was only a few years ago that Kobo was constantly playing catchup.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Remember how awkward these things were?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What I would love at this point is an eink ereader that integrated in with Google Books.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

What I would love at this point is an eink ereader that integrated in with Google Books.

There's the iRiver Story HD but it's not particularly good: http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/19/iriver-story-hd-review/

Take note that the higher res screen referred to is only the 1024x768 res in most modern readers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

OK, a correction, a GOOD eReader that integrates with Play Books.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

Remember how awkward these things were?

Nope! What is it and why are they bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

the littlest prince posted:

Nope! What is it and why are they bad?

The original kobo. Ugh.

See that huge button? That's how you turn pages. It's really stiff and clicky and just generally awkward. The whole thing was awkward to use.

It's the OG kobo's awfulness that drove me to get a kindle instead.