Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Yeah, you're right about the dimensions. I would just prefer a legit set of vinyl graphics since they look a lot better, and will hold up longer than some stickers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You can probably go with a custom route by sending a decal guy your fender dimensions and what you want on it but that's probably more money than it's worth IMO. Wait until you get the tank shrouds in and see what it looks like. You may end up liking the tail plain when the tank shrouds get a little more lively.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I've been thinking about picking up a DRZ and I managed to find a used one in my area that doesn't seem beat to poo poo. The only issue that I can see without going out and looking at it in person is that it has some kind of aftermarket exhaust on it, and around here that tends to mean the previous owner tried to make it as loud as they possibly could.
Anyone know how loud this thing might be? If it turns out to be decent I might buy it in a week.

e: Or I'll just pick up a cheap quieter exhaust somewhere and sell this one online :v:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 11, 2013

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.

Marxalot posted:

I've been thinking about picking up a DRZ and I managed to find a used one in my area that doesn't seem beat to poo poo. The only issue that I can see without going out and looking at it in person is that it has some kind of aftermarket exhaust on it, and around here that tends to mean the previous owner tried to make it as loud as they possibly could. Anyone know how loud this thing might be? If it turns out to be decent I might buy it in a week.

The Powercore 4 is pretty loud, but not nearly as loud as the MRD/SSW exhaust that is more popular on the SMs. I ride with an FMF q4 (the quieter and less powerful version) and it is supposed to be under 96db...

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I've not seen many DRZ's that don't have aftermarket exhausts. The FMF systems aren't the best power-wise though. Most people do an air box mod and put on an exhaust to get a bit more power out of them since they're somewhat choked down stock. I wouldn't let that concern you at all. If you do want a stock exhaust you can sell the FMF easily for a couple hundred bucks and pick up a stock system for dirt cheap off ThumperTalk classifieds.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Marxalot posted:

I've been thinking about picking up a DRZ and I managed to find a used one in my area that doesn't seem beat to poo poo. The only issue that I can see without going out and looking at it in person is that it has some kind of aftermarket exhaust on it, and around here that tends to mean the previous owner tried to make it as loud as they possibly could.
Anyone know how loud this thing might be? If it turns out to be decent I might buy it in a week.

e: Or I'll just pick up a cheap quieter exhaust somewhere and sell this one online :v:

The DRZ I bought came with that FMF pipe. It's pretty loud, and pops/burbles on light decel. From an observer perspective, it actually sounds pretty great. From the rider perspective, it forces me to wear earplugs, which I should be doing anyways, so that's actually good.

I'd say it's almost obnoxiously loud.

I'm still deciding if I want to rip it off and sell it, since the PO also included the stock pipe.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
^^Yeah, that doesn't sound too bad. Even if it is, I imagine stock exhausts are cheap.

JP Money posted:

I've not seen many DRZ's that don't have aftermarket exhausts. The FMF systems aren't the best power-wise though. Most people do an air box mod and put on an exhaust to get a bit more power out of them since they're somewhat choked down stock. I wouldn't let that concern you at all. If you do want a stock exhaust you can sell the FMF easily for a couple hundred bucks and pick up a stock system for dirt cheap off ThumperTalk classifieds.

The bike is kind of modded to hell so that's probably exactly what was done to it. I'm not sure why someone would put $1000 into a bike and put 3k miles on it in 4 years, but I don't mind profiting from it.

I'm just hoping it survives at the dealer until next week once I have my license. Also that it isn't secretly all kinds of hosed up.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 11, 2013

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

epalm posted:

The DRZ I bought came with that FMF pipe. It's pretty loud, and pops/burbles on light decel. From an observer perspective, it actually sounds pretty great. From the rider perspective, it forces me to wear earplugs, which I should be doing anyways, so that's actually good.

I'd say it's almost obnoxiously loud.

I'm still deciding if I want to rip it off and sell it, since the PO also included the stock pipe.

Seconding this. I thought tearing my fmf off would be the first thing I did when I got the bike home, but it's not so bad. Been 1.5 years and at this point I'll probably just leave it. It's loud and it pops like crazy but I'm not setting off car alarms or waking people up as long as I don't rev it to the moon as I'm toodling into my neighborhood.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Marxalot posted:

^^Yeah, that doesn't sound too bad. Even if it is, I imagine stock exhausts are cheap.

The bike is kind of modded to hell so that's probably exactly what was done to it. I'm not sure why someone would put $1000 into a bike and put 3k miles on it in 4 years, but I don't mind profiting from it.

I'm just hoping it survives at the dealer until next week once I have my license. Also that it isn't secretly all kinds of hosed up.

People do that all the time, I don't get it either. I guess they put a lot more time into making money vs. riding than you or I. That thing looks very clean, if it's at the dealer's ask if the airbox and carbs have been done. They probably won't have a loving clue so feel free to ask them to pop the plastic on the side off and have a look at the top of the airbox. If there's a big 3x3 hole in it it's very likely he did the carbs too. The bike runs like poo poo and backfires like stupid with just the exhaust slapped on but is pretty nice with the carb done and the 3x3 airbox mod. Bonus if he put the E model 39 carb on!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

People do that all the time, I don't get it either. I guess they put a lot more time into making money vs. riding than you or I. That thing looks very clean, if it's at the dealer's ask if the airbox and carbs have been done. They probably won't have a loving clue so feel free to ask them to pop the plastic on the side off and have a look at the top of the airbox. If there's a big 3x3 hole in it it's very likely he did the carbs too. The bike runs like poo poo and backfires like stupid with just the exhaust slapped on but is pretty nice with the carb done and the 3x3 airbox mod. Bonus if he put the E model 39 carb on!

It's got the stock header so I doubt the PO knew enough to mess with the FCR (but if he did that's a major plus!). I do agree it's quite clean - what's the price if you don't mind me asking?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Finally bypassed the kickstand switch today. Why the gently caress did it take me this long to do? I know I would have avoided one stupid down if I had done it as soon as I had gotten it. The other day I was jumping over a log onto a trestle and because I dropped my heel just a little too much, the engine bogged and I hit the log awkwardly, dropping the front tire into the little ditch in front of the first beam and sent me flying over the handlebars.

Speaking of a cop saw me riding along that section of track and I figured I was busted so I just pulled up next to him, he was at first angry and told me it was illegal to ride along the tracks but after I told him I only hit that little section of track because it was fun to jump the log placed there so people couldn't use the track like that he just smiled and said "Ah well, whatever. They'll probably call us on you if they see you but I don't really have a problem with it. Have a good one."

Covert Ops Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 12, 2013

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's hilarious. I love chill cops. I'm interested in why you thought the kickstand switch tripped you up. Are you saying that you put your foot far down enough to engage the kickstand, and it killed the engine briefly?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Coydog posted:

That's hilarious. I love chill cops. I'm interested in why you thought the kickstand switch tripped you up. Are you saying that you put your foot far down enough to engage the kickstand, and it killed the engine briefly?

Yeah. When standing on the balls of my feet I sometimes drop my heels, and with the kickstand right under and behind the left footpeg in the right (bouncy) conditions I would hit the kickstand enough to make it disengage the switch briefly and lose spark. It really didn't take much. It was actually someone on these forums that clued me in that was what was probably happening too, I had no loving clue haha. Once I figured out what was happening I'd just be conscious about not letting my heel hit it and it wouldn't happen until I got sloppy again.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Even if all he did was gently caress with the exhaust, from what I understand rejetting the carb isn't a big deal at all. And even I can expand that airbox. Maybe it running like poo poo is why he sold it :v:

JP Money posted:

It's got the stock header so I doubt the PO knew enough to mess with the FCR (but if he did that's a major plus!). I do agree it's quite clean - what's the price if you don't mind me asking?
This is probably something I should just google, but is the header worth getting?
Also the dealer's asking for 5k. From what little I've seen of DRZ prices around here that seems fair for a moderately blinged out DRZ. It's not the best deal ever, but literally the only other used 400SM I've seen online around here (craigslist, dealers, etc).

I'm really considering talking to my credit union tomorrow to see if I can get a loan with my lovely credit so I can just show up at the dealer sometime this week and see what price I can get OTD for cash.

fakeedit: I have -really- lovely credit from some student loans that I wasn't able to pay for a while. It took me all of 3 months to get about 1.5-2k together for a down payment, but I might be getting ahead of myself here if I can't get a loan :ohdear:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 12, 2013

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Marxalot posted:

Even if all he did was gently caress with the exhaust, from what I understand rejetting the carb isn't a big deal at all. And even I can expand that airbox. Maybe it running like poo poo is why he sold it :v:

Oh yeah. Took about two hours. There were a lot of stripped bolts on the carb though, those things are made out of cream cheese. And getting the carb back onto the bike itself is a bitch. I did have the help of somebody who had worked on a different bike's carbs before so he kind of clued me in as to what everything was and why it was attached to that and how which really helped me understand what the hell I was doing.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Some would argue the header is way more important than the slip on. Going to a big diameter one from the mrd or yoshimura rs2 will add more power than a slip on like the fmf.

As for price that thing looks clean but imo 5k is too much. Not sure where you're located but I'd expect that closer to 4k. Holding out for a while is the name of the game with DRZ's if you want a clean one for a good price with low miles. It took me a while of searching. The plus side is drz owners are either awesome bros who won't dick you over or complete mouth breathers in my experience so the signal to noise ratio makes it easy to weed out what bike you probably should not buy.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Signed up for my first track day at the end of this month, and I picked up a GoPro Hero3 heavily discounted from REI. So, where should I mount it? Unless Ridesmart Track Days disallows it, I'm thinking I'll use the curved sticky mount to put it on the left side of my helmet at eye level. I think I'll hold off on the MotoGP-style rear end shots for now.

Skumby
Jul 5, 2007
I'm Skumby dammit!!!!!!!

Marxalot posted:

There is a dynojet sticker on the swingarm. Most likely it has the stock carb with the dynojet jet kit. This requires the 3x3 airbox mod.
The bike looks sweet but im not sure about 5 grand sweet. If that headlight setup is HID that's a $250 mod. Id offer $4500.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you buy it make them take less for it on account of that LED strip that passes for a tail light so that you can use the money to buy a DRC Edge

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you buy it make them take less for it on account of that LED strip that passes for a tail light so that you can use the money to buy a DRC Edge

Seconding the DRC Edge. I love mine. I would also recommend getting a brake light flasher module. I purchased one from customLED.com. I don't use one of the extreme patterns, but I think strobing a few times before going solid should help with visibility a little.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

MetaJew posted:

Signed up for my first track day at the end of this month, and I picked up a GoPro Hero3 heavily discounted from REI. So, where should I mount it? Unless Ridesmart Track Days disallows it, I'm thinking I'll use the curved sticky mount to put it on the left side of my helmet at eye level. I think I'll hold off on the MotoGP-style rear end shots for now.

I don't have one myself but I've seen good results from a chin mount, with the camera hanging down from your helmet. Here are a couple vids shot like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_zCj74q6RA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn61NZG3mHc

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
There was ice on the DRZ this morning. Time to put her away for the winter and buy a lovely XT/XR/something.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Yerok posted:

There was ice on the DRZ this morning. Time to put her away for the winter and buy a lovely XT/XR/something.

What a DRZ isn't lovely enough to ride in the snow? I love mine that's why I treat it like dog poo poo.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I beat the poo poo out of mine, but's a retardedly clean 2009 SM that I got out of a time capsule with 700 miles on it in July (unfortunately I was only able to get it to 3700 miles since then). It's had some dirt crashes, and I love having a nice bike that I don't feel like babying. That being said, I don't really wanna ride it in sub-freezing temperatures with salt everywhere and idiot winter drivers.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

What a DRZ isn't lovely enough to ride in the snow? I love mine that's why I treat it like dog poo poo.

I plan on riding mine this winter, but I really want to get a plastic tank because of how nice the paint looks on my stock one.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Hadn't really thought to look before, but today I discovered that my rear plastics on the 690 is all scratched up from me lifting my boot juuuust high enough and then sliding it across the plastic when I mount the bike. :(

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I think I want a 690 pretty badly, but they're nearly impossible to find in Ontario :smith:

Edit: the 690 SMC, obviously

epswing fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 13, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I know I want a 690 badly, but there's no way I can afford one until student loans are paid down. :saddowns:

Oh yeah and they're impossible to find in San Diego.

Is converting a 690E to SMC a wise decision if one cannot find one ever? :ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The suspension is different internally, you don't get the higher spec brakes...better to just hold out for a SMC.

On the bright side, I could buy it for you and would be totally willing to ride it down to San Diego.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Z3n posted:

On the bright side, I could buy it for you and would be totally willing to ride it down to San Diego.

How about Toronto?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

epalm posted:

How about Toronto?

How about West Chester, PA?

C'mon dude, be a bro.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Man if people want to pay me to buy motorcycles, get them roadworthhy, and ride them places and then fly me home, yeah, I can see that being a thing.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

epalm posted:

I think I want a 690 pretty badly, but they're nearly impossible to find in Ontario :smith:

Edit: the 690 SMC, obviously

Why settle for just an SMC, bro? SMCR is where it's at. :smug:

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Hey y'all I'm doing some repair work on the spark plug threads on a DRZ. Is it going to be easier to pull the head or the whole motor? I'm thinking head but figured I'd check. How effective are helicoils/timeserts in repairing the threads if they are stripped?

Also I know how to make sure the engine is at TDC, but how do I make sure it is at TDC on the compression stroke? All valves closed?

henne fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 14, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Head is going to be a lot easier. All valves closed, there should be a timing mark somewhere, or you can stick a screwdriver down the spark plug hole.

Timecerts are the way to go.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So I'm planning on getting an AP cover/float bowl with an adjustable leak jet this winter for my FCR39. What would be a good cam upgrade to complement the carb? Eventually I'll probably end up with a 434, but probably not until I wear out this top end. It's only at 3700 miles right now, so it's got a ways to go.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hot am's seems to be the goto brand, but what grind, I don't know

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd just find an E cam. Hotcams are a bit hit or miss, and the stage one grind is basically the e cam.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So good shape used E cam it is. What's the mix and match setup? E intake and S exhaust or is it the opposite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

E everything if you can get it. The e exhaust header is much wider than the s exhaust.

• Locked thread