Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RadioDog
May 31, 2005

quote:

We’ve noticed a lot more strange enemy spawning/teleporting behaviour, which can catch you out sometimes...

Just saw this in the Strategy Informer review. They'll never really get this fixed, will they?

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Weird question: I cannot seem to assign a hotkey for hunkering down. (Or rather, I can assign it but it won't work in game.) Is anyone else having that problem? The overwatch hotkey works just fine.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Target had Enemy Within out for sale yesterday. I got super excited and was about to buy it when I realized that I'd still have to wait till Tuesday to play it anyways.

STEAM!!! :argh:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
^^^ Hunker down key has always been buggy.

meatsaw posted:

Just saw this in the Strategy Informer review. They'll never really get this fixed, will they?

That's weird, most of the reviews/previews I've seen commented that they had no teleporting issues and were pleased about it. Hopefully if not fixed it's at least much rarer now.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

meatsaw posted:

They should really give you an option to turn this off for the pc version atleast.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Darkrenown posted:

That's weird, most of the reviews/previews I've seen commented that they had no teleporting issues and were pleased about it. Hopefully if not fixed it's at least much rarer now.

I guess, but how would reviewers not in the "know" even realize it was a glitch anyway? They probably think it's a feature of the game. Or at the very least intentional.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zasze posted:

They should really give you an option to turn this off for the pc version atleast.

It's a bug, not intentional. Kind of hard to make a toggle for a bug.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

Well, I don't know about yours, but my pc has an off switch.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mokinokaro posted:

They could turn off the teleporting aliens entirely and make it so all are enabled and move around in the fog from turn 1. It's definitely not a perfect solution and might be worse than just having teleporting aliens but this would remove the bug.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

quiggy stardust posted:

They could turn off the teleporting aliens entirely and make it so all are enabled and move around in the fog from turn 1. It's definitely not a perfect solution and might be worse than just having teleporting aliens but this would remove the bug.

Given how the "patrol" routes seem to function, I think this would be equally disastrous. The aliens sometimes get "revealed" but not activate, you can see their health bars move about the fog. They jump wildly around the map, sometimes crisscrossing more than once on the same turn. I think it's just a fundamentally terrible movement pattern that we were never supposed to be able to observe. They'd have to restructure the patrol routes to be realistic for every map.

And this might make enemy turns take 5 minutes.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

FauxGateau posted:

I guess, but how would reviewers not in the "know" even realize it was a glitch anyway? They probably think it's a feature of the game. Or at the very least intentional.

No, I meant they were writing that they knew of the EU teleporting issues and were glad that it wasn't happening in EW.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Deuce posted:

Given how the "patrol" routes seem to function, I think this would be equally disastrous. The aliens sometimes get "revealed" but not activate, you can see their health bars move about the fog. They jump wildly around the map, sometimes crisscrossing more than once on the same turn. I think it's just a fundamentally terrible movement pattern that we were never supposed to be able to observe. They'd have to restructure the patrol routes to be realistic for every map.

And this might make enemy turns take 5 minutes.

Long War mod had this behavior fixed pretty nicely in EU, so IMO there's very little excuse for it still being present in EW. Basically the teleport is due to a fail state in the AI pathing, and longer patrol distances exacerbate this, along with overuse of a particular patrol AI state. Reducing patrol distances dramatically reduces teleporting behavior, and changing the AI patrolling state results in aliens moving/breaking windows/opening doors while patrolling which is very cool (in vanilla you rarely can actually hear the enemies moving around even though you get the sound wave animation).

Edit: Just to be clear, this does increase the time taken for enemy turns, but the increase is like from 15 second to 25 seconds on average. Even with the increased number of enemies that LW can throw at you I have never seen an enemy turn last more than a minute or so. Well worth it IMO especially since I play MP all the time which has a 90 second turn timer in ranked.

I think that if Firaxis believes that turn lengths using "normal" pathing is too long for general release (I'm sure that "ENEMY TURNS TOO LONG!!!!" was a note from playtesting) then they could easily handle this with a 2nd Wave option (XCOM Academy 4: Aliens On Patrol) which set pathing to minimize teleport fail states at the expense of longer turns.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 11, 2013

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
I think I'm gonna do it. Actually manage it and beat Classic.

Whatevs, most of you have already, but I am not a natural strategy gamer and tend to quit in frustration if my favourite mans die or enough countries look like leaving. But this time I've stuck with it and beaten the alien base only losing Canada and Mexico, got lazers and carapace ready for the Mutons to start showing up, survived the first terror mission, am building the psi-labs, have a pretty decent satellite rush on the go and my A-Team are just a crew of rock-solid bastards.

Of course watch them get wiped next mission now, leaving me with literally 2 other Squaddies, but unless that happens I'm feeling pretty good about this.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

amanasleep posted:

Long War mod had this behavior fixed pretty nicely in EU, so IMO there's very little excuse for it still being present in EW. Basically the teleport is due to a fail state in the AI pathing, and longer patrol distances exacerbate this, along with overuse of a particular patrol AI state. Reducing patrol distances dramatically reduces teleporting behavior, and changing the AI patrolling state results in aliens moving/breaking windows/opening doors while patrolling which is very cool (in vanilla you rarely can actually hear the enemies moving around even though you get the sound wave animation).

Hopefully this fixes the incredibly annoying teleporting behavior that always ruins my breaches. I make sure everyone's reloaded, lined up by a door, and prepare to attack a group of aliens I can hear but haven't seen. Then on the turn I'm about to ambush the aliens, they've teleported across the map to the opposite side of me, undoing a few turns of preparation. :argh:

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Does anyone know which lines from which ini file you're supposed to delete to make loading times get quicker? I remember there being a bug where if you have the DLC the game will attempt to load certain things multiple times, making things take longer and longer because the number of times goes up by 1 every time you launch the game...

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

I'm willing to bet most reviewers are playing on easy/normal to get the review out. Which means there's less enemies and less chance for the bug to crop up.

TJO posted:

I think I'm gonna do it. Actually manage it and beat Classic.

Whatevs, most of you have already, but I am not a natural strategy gamer and tend to quit in frustration if my favourite mans die or enough countries look like leaving. But this time I've stuck with it and beaten the alien base only losing Canada and Mexico, got lazers and carapace ready for the Mutons to start showing up, survived the first terror mission, am building the psi-labs, have a pretty decent satellite rush on the go and my A-Team are just a crew of rock-solid bastards.

Of course watch them get wiped next mission now, leaving me with literally 2 other Squaddies, but unless that happens I'm feeling pretty good about this.
You're past the major bump in the difficulty so you should be fine.

amanasleep posted:

I think that if Firaxis believes that turn lengths using "normal" pathing is too long for general release (I'm sure that "ENEMY TURNS TOO LONG!!!!" was a note from playtesting) then they could easily handle this with a 2nd Wave option (XCOM Academy 4: Aliens On Patrol) which set pathing to minimize teleport fail states at the expense of longer turns.
Yeah I really want this as a Second Wave option, or even just a mod that goes into Toolboks. Can't really stand some of the ideas the Long War guy has done so it's a shame he didn't put out that specific change as a mod.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Re-read Guava's X-Com LP in preparation for Enemy Within…man, that thing cracks me up every time. Especially SynthOrange's entry about being trapped alive inside a Reaper's stomach.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I wish Beaglerush still made XCOM videos. :(

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Speedball posted:

Re-read Guava's X-Com LP in preparation for Enemy Within…man, that thing cracks me up every time. Especially SynthOrange's entry about being trapped alive inside a Reaper's stomach.

I'm still hoping reapers come back as a surprise. I think they could actually be terrifying in XCOM instead of doofy-looking joke enemies like they were in X-Com.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
After playing long war for a while I would rather have a middle ground.

A) aliens not in your sight move at 16x speed.
B) unactivated patrol aliens close alien ship doors after they go through.
C) stop having patrolling aliens go further than 8 spaces in one turn.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Darkhold posted:

SMAC is such a weird oversight. I'm sure it doesn't do Civilization numbers but it seemed to at least be a cult hit. There's so much more interesting things to do with terraforming and colonizing new planets and new interesting tech.

Yet it just lays there doing nothing. Sure we occasionally get a space strat game but nothing like SMAC where you're down on the ground.

This comes up frequently in the Civ 5 thread. SMAC is apparently stuck in patent limbo, which is why it probably isn't getting a reboot any time soon.

Speedball posted:

I did this too. I'm extremely partial to SLO-MO BULLSHIT CAM and Ivy Takakumi's movie hour, myself.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Some reviews!
http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/11/5088078/xcom-enemy-within-review
Nothing too interesting here, but screenshots show the Exalt base. Looks fancy! 9/10

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/11/11/xcom-enemy-within-review
IGN thinks the game is easier now and that Exalt are a joke, sadly. They like the new maps though, and make a point of saying they encountered no teleporting. 9/10

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10729-XCOM-Enemy-Within-Review
Likes it, endgame still easy and easy point may occur earlier. Also says Exalt is no threat. Video has a lot of shooting!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/11/xcom-enemy-within-review/
More of the same. Writer doesn't seem to know Terror missions from Abductions though, the "MUJ" both wore thin quickly plus initially made me think he was talking about muslims for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoTCUkTlKLo
Classic Ironman LP but the guy that did the OXM squad videos for EU. First mission is murder street and they haven't fixed the pre-activated pod. Goddamnit!

All in all, still pretty hyped, but I do wish they had added some harder aliens for the lategame.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Some reviews!
http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/11/5088078/xcom-enemy-within-review
Nothing too interesting here, but screenshots show the Exalt base. Looks fancy! 9/10

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/11/11/xcom-enemy-within-review
IGN thinks the game is easier now and that Exalt are a joke, sadly. They like the new maps though, and make a point of saying they encountered no teleporting. 9/10

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10729-XCOM-Enemy-Within-Review
Likes it, endgame still easy and easy point may occur earlier. Also says Exalt is no threat. Video has a lot of shooting!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/11/xcom-enemy-within-review/
More of the same. Writer doesn't seem to know Terror missions from Abductions though, the "MUJ" both wore thin quickly plus initially made me think he was talking about muslims for some reason.

Classic Ironman LP but the guy that did the OXM squad videos for EU. First mission is murder street and they haven't fixed the pre-activated pod. Goddamnit!

All in all, still pretty hyped, but I do wish they had added some harder aliens for the lategame.
Wait.
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/assets/3546747/XCOM_EW-1280.jpg
I thought the review edition was limited for the alien base? Avoiding more potential enemy spoilers :getin:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Vengarr posted:

I did this too. I'm extremely partial to SLO-MO BULLSHIT CAM and Ivy Takakumi's movie hour, myself.

I'm positive SLO-MO BULLSHIT CAM exists in current XCOM too….

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Kanos posted:

I'm still hoping reapers come back as a surprise. I think they could actually be terrifying in XCOM instead of doofy-looking joke enemies like they were in X-Com.

I was thinking about this the other day--I'd like to see them as mid/late-game replacements for Chryssalids. In my dreams they'd be redesigned as shark/velociraptor things, and to make up for the lack of self-replication I'd give them buffs every time they make a kill, civilians included. First would be to movement speed :unsmigghh:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

HaitianDivorce posted:

I was thinking about this the other day--I'd like to see them as mid/late-game replacements for Chryssalids. In my dreams they'd be redesigned as shark/velociraptor things, and to make up for the lack of self-replication I'd give them buffs every time they make a kill, civilians included. First would be to movement speed :unsmigghh:

Huh, enemies that level up every time they kill? That's actually an interesting idea for a strategy game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

HaitianDivorce posted:

That would be an interesting way to drive attempts at saving more than just one civilian on terror missions

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Speedball posted:

Huh, enemies that level up every time they kill? That's actually an interesting idea for a strategy game.

Yeah, just dress it up as an endorphin rush perfected by millennia of alien genetic engineering or something, give them visual cues so you know which ones to prioritize (bioluminescence, frills, tons of drool, whatever) and give 'em nasty AI that has them doing poo poo like hiding on rooftops just out of sight and we might have something as terrifying as the original Chryssalid. It would give you a nasty dilemma between fanning out as fast as possible to stop them or saving one civilian and then hunkering down and would generate tons of hilarious/horrifying stories, which is basically what XCOM's all about, right?

Speaking of which, how would you fix Chryssalids? Probably more health and instant zombification?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

zylche posted:

Wait.
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/assets/3546747/XCOM_EW-1280.jpg
I thought the review edition was limited for the alien base? Avoiding more potential enemy spoilers :getin:

That's a Seeker dude.

Seeker, Mechtoid, EXALT { Heavy, Medic, Sniper, Rifle Assault } and Elite versions thereof.

Those are all the new enemies that are getting added to the game.

I am very sad that VPN hijinks won't enable me to unlock EW early, since apparently the EU version is a totally different SKU :(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Well if you can get away with playing like a complete moron on classic and still get away twice in a row with zero casualties AND get the meld, I can see why people think it's too easy now.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

HaitianDivorce posted:

Speaking of which, how would you fix Chryssalids? Probably more health and instant zombification?

In what world do they need buffing?!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

In what world do they need buffing?!

This one. They're only scary the first 2-3 times you see them, after that they're just cannon fodder.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just had them have a turn every time you take an individual action :getin:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

That's a Seeker dude.

Seeker, Mechtoid, EXALT { Heavy, Medic, Sniper, Rifle Assault } and Elite versions thereof.

Those are all the new enemies that are getting added to the game.

I am very sad that VPN hijinks won't enable me to unlock EW early, since apparently the EU version is a totally different SKU :(
I hadn't saw an image of a seeker before and was hoping for something different :argh:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Well if you can get away with playing like a complete moron on classic and still get away twice in a row with zero casualties AND get the meld, I can see why people think it's too easy now.

The ill-timed mind-meld really helped him out there. Poor Sectoid, melded by a retard :(

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

WarpedNaba posted:

Hey, I liked the Pirates! Reboot. :(
I've got 40-odd hours logged on it on Steam, too. It was a good game, but the amount of actual effort that went into it is really questionable. Nothing changed from the older games except the art direction and the sailing interface, really, which is a problem when you consider that you've seen all the content the game really has to offer in the first hour of play. The rest of it is repeating them with slightly different coats of paint, rescuing your sister instead of your father, or digging up Blackbeard's treasure instead of Calico Jack's.

Also, yeah, SMAC is stuck in legal limbo because of a foul-up on Firaxis's end about who owns the IP. Which is still a lovely reason to not reboot it, just throw new names on it and call it a day. Sure, we liked Col. Santiago and Chairman Yang, but nobody's going to have a conniption if Santiago becomes Sandiego and Yang becomes Zhang. You can get around IP considerations, and the prepackaged community for an SMAC game with a good PitBoss-like add-on has been there for a decade. At this point I think it's something else that we're not really being told.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Mr Dog posted:

There's implassic, but what I'd really like to see is a mod that reins in Classic's galloping panic just a little bit. Just so you get a little time to breathe and try more than one possible Geoscape approach.
There will be such a mod. In the next Implassic release (later this week) I'm going to add two variations that give one the Normal Geoscape for both Implassic and regular Classic difficulties. If that is not sufficient you can tweak the mod files yourself.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

nnnotime posted:

There will be such a mod. In the next Implassic release (later this week) I'm going to add two variations that give one the Normal Geoscape for both Implassic and regular Classic difficulties. If that is not sufficient you can tweak the mod files yourself.

Normal Geoscape + Classic Battlescape sounds like pretty much the best thing ever, thanks.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

quiggy stardust posted:

Normal Geoscape + Classic Battlescape sounds like pretty much the best thing ever, thanks.
That will be the new Clormal difficulty mode (Classic+Normal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Darkrenown posted:

IGN thinks the game is easier now and that Exalt are a joke

endgame still easy and easy point may occur earlier.

:smith:

• Locked thread