Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

How did anyone play Hearts of Iron before trade automation anyway? Did you just take a mostly self-sufficient country and wing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Kavak posted:

How did anyone play Hearts of Iron before trade automation anyway? Did you just take a mostly self-sufficient country and wing it?

Pick either SU or USA. Influence until at +200. Offer trade. Give them a few supplies for nearly infinite resources.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Beamed posted:

Pick either SU or USA. Influence until at +200. Offer trade. Give them a few supplies for nearly infinite resources.

I'd do this more often if I could remember to go back and hit the influence button every two in-game weeks.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

The warscore here between Britain and France is 0, this is a war in which neither side has a clear advantage.

EDIT: six months later: France just took Leeds and is preparing to push into Scotland. France's warscore is -11...Britain is winning the war.

EDIT 2: Edinburgh has fallen. France occupies every province in England and Wales except Nottingham, whose hilly terrain bought it a few months of extra resistance. France is now clearly winning the war, with a warscore of +2.

EDIT 3: France is now officially winning the war and has added the wargoal "Humiliate the United Kingdom." Some would say it's already doing so. Whether or not France adds anything else remains to be seen.

EDIT 4: France now occupies every province in the British Isles save the Isle of Man. USA joins in on the fun, declaring the American Liberation of British New England. France broadens its wargoal to include "France Acquires Southwest England." The world looks on in awe at the end of the British Empire.

EDIT 5: Final Edit. USA got Caribou, France achieved its ends. UK has a pitiful army and a respectable navy, and chances are even that it'll fall to Anarcho-Liberal revolutionaries soon.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 11, 2013

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Kavak posted:

HOI3 has had trade automation in from the start.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

podcat posted:

I meant the series as a whole. Also Patter Song, what on earth was tipping the warscore in favor of Britain for so long?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Kavak posted:

I meant the series as a whole. Also Patter Song, what on earth was tipping the warscore in favor of Britain for so long?

The French had no (literally no) navy and the war itself was a crisis war between Bolivia and Argentina, with Britain on Bolivia's side and France on Argentina's. Bolivia was kicking Argentina's rear end and Britain was benefiting from the battle score and ticking war score because France had nothing in the South American theater and no force projection to get there.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kavak posted:

Wait until a number turns red, wait a while anyways because you're lazy, then finally trade for it once the shortage becomes critical.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Wait until a number turns red, wait a while anyways because you're lazy, then finally trade for it once the shortage becomes critical.

So buy in bulk with supplies? I see.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I forgot the "wonder why you're completely out of oil in 1943" step to the process.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ZearothK posted:

You tell me, the Brazil Syndicalist events are like the wet dreams of the Brazilian left coming true one at a time.

What are the events? Does Luiz Prestes become president? :allears:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

What are the events? Does Luiz Prestes become president? :allears:

I think he can. He can become the Vice-President or whatever the Brazilian's have for Head of Government, and do stuff like forge an alliance between the cangaceiro's and the new government. The weird part is that there's a ton of content for the other factions like the Integralists.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah Prestes can become Head of Government in alliance with Eduard Leuenroth, and Brazil can reform into a syndicalist state with an assembly of trade unions instead of a senate and so on.

If Brazil goes Integralist (far-right, National Populist in the game's terms, tend to favour a corporatist state in the Mussolini-fascist way) then Prestes leads a sizeable revolt but will almost always lose it because it's just a partisan revolt rather than a separate faction.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

This isn't the weirdest Britain I've ever seen, actually. Once I saw the Ottoman Empire take Cornwall after a Great War, and a liberated Ireland.

Bossie Lott
Nov 21, 2010
I can't believe the invincible rebels bug still exists in EU4.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

podcat posted:

I liked to manual trade until TFH :(

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

I liked to manual trade until TFH :(

I maintain that trade is the one mechanic that HOI3 actually does right and gives the player meaningful choices.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

I maintain that trade is the one mechanic that HOI3 actually does right and gives the player meaningful choices.

It's kind of weird though that for all the automation that HOI does, it doesn't actually let you do stuff like choose which countries you want to trade with specifically to get a relations boost, which is really what you want out of trade beyond just keeping the shelves stocked.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The best trade-as-relations-booster thing to do is just to start a trade where you give the other country 0.1 of some random resource for free, nothing in return. The other country will literally never cancel it (why would they) so you'll just get the relations boost forever and can let the computer automate the rest of your trades.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's kind of weird though that for all the automation that HOI does, it doesn't actually let you do stuff like choose which countries you want to trade with specifically to get a relations boost, which is really what you want out of trade beyond just keeping the shelves stocked.

Actually there's all sorts of other considerations - Germany for example wants to get as much stuff from Eastern Europe as possible because all the convoys from South America will be wiped out the moment the war starts. I genuinely believe there's a really fun grand strategy game in a HOI that focuses the player on acquiring the resources to keep their total war machine going, through political pressure, trade, and just seizing them.

HOI will be perfect for me when there's a point where a German player has a genuine dilemma where they think to themselves "Do I tell my armies to focus all their efforts on Moscow, or do I need to rush the Panzers south to seize the oilfields because I'm close to running out of fuel?" Likewise Japan and the East Indies. In other words, when you are fighting WW2 in order to seize resources you want and not because Danzig or War fired and it's time to see how much of the globe you can cover with your colour.

Also I have some ideas about Supply rules that would completely change the pace of war in the game but I'm not sure how accessible they'd be.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Alchenar posted:

Also I have some ideas about Supply rules that would completely change the pace of war in the game but I'm not sure how accessible they'd be.
:justpost: I love supply rules.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Alchenar posted:

HOI will be perfect for me when there's a point where a German player has a genuine dilemma where they think to themselves "Do I tell my armies to focus all their efforts on Moscow, or do I need to rush the Panzers south to seize the oilfields because I'm close to running out of fuel?" Likewise Japan and the East Indies. In other words, when you are fighting WW2 in order to seize resources you want and not because Danzig or War fired and it's time to see how much of the globe you can cover with your colour.

Have you tried the Third Reich MOD for AoD already? It captures the terrible supply situation on the eastern front and the lack of industrial resources perfectly. You really have to make some hard choices to survive, and the consequences stay with you for a very long time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Morholt posted:

:justpost: I love supply rules.

I think the Paradox turn system is uniquely placed to have 'realistic' supply actually work. By that I mean it can differentiate between units under 'offensive' supply and 'defensive' supply.

In a real war you don't have all units supplied at full capacity all the time. Units in a static position get their food obviously, but just top ups of ammo and fuel because they aren't expected to be expending much. Units selected for offensive operations on the other hand get to build up stocks of everything because a) active combat tends to burn through supplies really quickly and b) it takes resources to move supplies forward through areas recently conquered.

First of all I'd conceptually make Supply the limited resource in HOI that's roughly equivalent to Administrative Points in EU4 - you need it in order to make attacks but the game is balanced so you never quite have enough of it to attack everywhere (unless you get a long time to prepare). We keep AI control of armies on the micro level but have the player be deciding on the macro level which theatre/armies get a priority on supplies in order to meet their objectives.

In mechanical terms what I envisage is that if you want an army to attack somewhere, it first has to go into a 'preparation' stance whereby it starts to draw supplies into stockpiles in its area. After it's accumulated sufficient stockpiles, it launches an operation towards the objective you've selected. If you don't build up these stockpiles then you suffer the dual problems of a) ordinary supply not having sufficient throughput for an attack to succeed and b) ordinary supply not being able to pass through recently captured regions to be sufficient for anything.

This has a poo poo-load of implications for the game. It means you have to prioritise certain theatres over others. It means that more industrious countries can wage active war more across more theatres than less developed ones. It means that wars (especially the Eastern Front) start to take on a more realistic and interesting look because they are no longer just perpetual shoving matches across the entire front. The player gets interesting choices: do you spend a long time preparing for the One Big Push or do you go for a series of smaller operations with limited objectives? Intelligence gets a new lease of life as something that slots into the rest of the game: which of your enemy's armies are preparing for an attack and what are their objectives?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Alchenar posted:

I think the Paradox turn system is uniquely placed to have 'realistic' supply actually work. By that I mean it can differentiate between units under 'offensive' supply and 'defensive' supply.

In a real war you don't have all units supplied at full capacity all the time. Units in a static position get their food obviously, but just top ups of ammo and fuel because they aren't expected to be expending much. Units selected for offensive operations on the other hand get to build up stocks of everything because a) active combat tends to burn through supplies really quickly and b) it takes resources to move supplies forward through areas recently conquered.

First of all I'd conceptually make Supply the limited resource in HOI that's roughly equivalent to Administrative Points in EU4 - you need it in order to make attacks but the game is balanced so you never quite have enough of it to attack everywhere (unless you get a long time to prepare). We keep AI control of armies on the micro level but have the player be deciding on the macro level which theatre/armies get a priority on supplies in order to meet their objectives.

In mechanical terms what I envisage is that if you want an army to attack somewhere, it first has to go into a 'preparation' stance whereby it starts to draw supplies into stockpiles in its area. After it's accumulated sufficient stockpiles, it launches an operation towards the objective you've selected. If you don't build up these stockpiles then you suffer the dual problems of a) ordinary supply not having sufficient throughput for an attack to succeed and b) ordinary supply not being able to pass through recently captured regions to be sufficient for anything.

This has a poo poo-load of implications for the game. It means you have to prioritise certain theatres over others. It means that more industrious countries can wage active war more across more theatres than less developed ones. It means that wars (especially the Eastern Front) start to take on a more realistic and interesting look because they are no longer just perpetual shoving matches across the entire front. The player gets interesting choices: do you spend a long time preparing for the One Big Push or do you go for a series of smaller operations with limited objectives? Intelligence gets a new lease of life as something that slots into the rest of the game: which of your enemy's armies are preparing for an attack and what are their objectives?

This sounds like an amazing addition for the next version of HOI or Victoria. It'd be even better if you paired it up with the improved strategic and tactical AI of EUIV. Meaningful choices are always good.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

axeil posted:

This sounds like an amazing addition for the next version of HOI or Victoria. It'd be even better if you paired it up with the improved strategic and tactical AI of EUIV. Meaningful choices are always good.

The problem is that if you don't get it just right then either it isn't meaningful or the forums explode with pubbies complaining that their divisions sit there and do nothing.

But there's all sorts of other things that you can bring into play. Take Germany vs the USSR. Give Germany a land doctrine with high organisation and speed bonuses and slightly higher supply throughput conquered provinces and you give players a hint that they should attempt Blitzkreig warfare - long preparations for really deep thrusting campaigns. Give the USSR really low organisation and supply problems and there's a big incentive to stick to more limited but perhaps broader ranging operations.

And then army composition suddenly becomes relevant in a way it wasn't before. Make artillery a massive supply hog so you have to make a choice between SP-Art Panzer Divisions that fight harder or maybe using AC's instead and having them go further. Or be the US and do both because you can.

The real problem HOI3 has at the moment isn't that it doesn't have good systems - it does. The problem is that those systems don't by and large interact with each other in meaningful ways. Supply travels on the board, but not in a way that ever actually matters other than with amphibious landings. Diplomacy has this intricate faction and influence system that's wasted because the scope of the game is too short (it feels designed for a cold war game). Technology is just RESEARCH EVERYTHING. Intelligence is of marginal utility. Production is a thing, but it's impossible to really know or care why you should build your brigades with one composition and not with another. There are lots of potential ways to make a HOI game, the issue is making sure that when you make a choice in one part of the game, it meaningfully influences and is meaningfully influenced by other parts. And that's what's currently missing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

'realistic' supply

This is a great post. You could already see shades of the "high org/slow recovery" Blitzkrieg vs "low org/high morale" Deep Operations dichotomy struggling to get out in Arsenal of Democracy/Darkest Hour Full, but supply was always fairly binary.

I've indeed never seen a game that quite captured something like Army Group North going into a long hibernation after 1941 because the Germans couldn't afford anything else, or the Soviets having to take a metaphorical Onyxian Deep Breath before unleashing their offensive against hundreds and hundreds of kilometers, or the Western Allies just plain outrunning their logistics in France (or at least, none that wasn't explicit rules about THAT), but you have some fine ideas for leveraging the supply system and the continuous-time mechanic of HOI.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I'm noticing issues with how call to arms and alliances are working in EUIV.

I went to war with Milan as a formed HRE in 1702 and they had Sweden as their only ally. Sweden is also allied with me so I figure it won't be that bad and I have a claim on the province I'm going for. The entire rest of the world loves me too so I can't even imagine this causing an aggressive expansion penalty. Even if Sweden enters I'll probably be fine so I go ahead with the war and call in my allies Lithuania and Poland.

Sweden enters and becomes war leader. They then invite their allies (Russia, Portugal and Spain) and Russia becomes the new war leader and what was a small regional conflict between the HRE and a former HRE member is now a 200k versus 400k all-out brawl that lasted 5 years. In 1702. The war ended with Russia giving back 2 worthless provinces to Lithuania and some gold changing hands.

Similarly, France got invaded by Spain and mega-Burgundy in 1710 or so and didn't call me into the war despite the fact we're at +200 relations and allied. They got the poo poo beat out of them and ended up giving away half their territory. Why would one of your best allies not give a defensive call to arms to you if you're a strong nation bordering its attacker? It's bizarre.

There really seems to be something up with the call to arms mechanics. Your close allies should pretty much always call you if the war is an existential threat and you shouldn't see two chains of allies get called in with multiple war leader switches. It makes planning and executing wars a real pain because you cannot plan out what the scope of the war will be. If I actually looked at possible alliance chains I'd never go to war because almost every country could intervene if allies can call allies. My solution has been to ally with all the states I can and hope they don't join in.

I understand having large alliances in coalition wars or wars that would drastically alter the balance of power. Something like a personal union between France and Spain should bring in every major player possible to prevent a change in status quo. And this happened historically with the War of the Spanish Succession. Major religious wars turning very large and ugly makes sense too. This really shouldn't happen if someone has a small, localized war. Similarly, if a nation gets attacked by two nations that surround it and is totally outclassed it should at least ask its allies to intervene.

I think the war system is great but having every war turn into a generation defining moment is a bit much. Again, I'm able to win these ridiculous wars but it's quickly becoming a major annoyance. When you play on ironman there's no way to figure out this is going to happen. If I played on a local save I'd just reload if all of Europe got called into a war.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 11, 2013

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

Yeah Prestes can become Head of Government in alliance with Eduard Leuenroth, and Brazil can reform into a syndicalist state with an assembly of trade unions instead of a senate and so on.

If Brazil goes Integralist (far-right, National Populist in the game's terms, tend to favour a corporatist state in the Mussolini-fascist way) then Prestes leads a sizeable revolt but will almost always lose it because it's just a partisan revolt rather than a separate faction.

This owns. Is Salgado a totalist or an integralist?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

This owns. Is Salgado a totalist or an integralist?

Plinio Salgado is an integralist.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Someone made a good theme song for a modern day Paradox game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouTsdUhDjsg

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does anyone play EUIV or CK2 on Intel HD4400 integrated graphics? Looking at getting a laptop with that spec and being able to play Pdox games on it would be great.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

V for Vegas posted:

Does anyone play EUIV or CK2 on Intel HD4400 integrated graphics? Looking at getting a laptop with that spec and being able to play Pdox games on it would be great.

Last year's Macbook Air with HD 4000 runs EUIV acceptably, though if it were a little slower I guess I wouldn't bother much. The 4400 looks a little bit faster, so you should be ok if you're not playing MEIOU.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

DrSunshine posted:

This isn't the weirdest Britain I've ever seen, actually. Once I saw the Ottoman Empire take Cornwall

It kinda happened in 1600s... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lundy#Piracy

wikipedia posted:

In 1627 Barbary Pirates from the Republic of Salé occupied Lundy for five years. The North African invaders, under the command of Dutch renegade Jan Janszoon, flew an Ottoman flag over the island. Some captured Europeans were held on Lundy before being sent to Algiers as slaves

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Don't tell the MEIOU team that, they'll mod it into a province

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ThePutty posted:

Don't tell the MEIOU team that, they'll mod it into a province

What, they haven't already?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

quote:

Every Journey ends some day.

For me the day was yesterday after another useless discussion here on the Forum.
Read for yourself here : http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?707351-Mod-MEIOU-and-Taxes-Current-version-v1.06&p=16358859&viewfull=1#post16358859 and on the next pages.

I'm not longer able to support a company with such an lack of communication. Everyone has his own opinion on how things could be handled.
I know , im a person who sometimes put his finger in open wounds. But hey , is that not the salt and pepper of any Forum ?
And I cant hear any more the same story and excuses ... every critic that's not nice written is directly called a "rant"
On simple questions I don't get simple answers. All i get was call me a "rant" thread opener.
For example , since weeks the copyright/hosting question is still open and not solved.
The Thread here : http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?708039-***-Rules-for-User-Made-Mods-and-Edits-*** I speak off.
Beside the fact that I don't see a "Rules" thread for CK2...also strange.

If you read this "so called" Rules you will see that most of them makes no sense or even against the Law.
Castellon started it and said we can discuss it .. and we did and had some serious problems and questions about the Rules.
And what is the Result ? Nothing , none of the important questions are answered. Indeed we get different answers from different Paradox Staff Members.
BjornB told me via PM , all Mods that are published on this Forum belongs to Paradox. They could use it in their own games etc.
Ok, just a PM, nothing official ...I don't care I thought.
Next , Castellon said in the Thread after pointing to it that ALL MODDB Pages are not made by them and not official !
tompalmer (AGOT Mod) told us that Paradox set up an account for them there ... now I was really confused , who not ?

End of story , the Team around gigau and lukew (MEIOU&Taxes) witch I was part of ended up with buying server space from our own money to host the mod on Mediafire to solve our huge traffic problems after the release of MEIOU&Taxes.
And why ? Because we stupid people just asked what's allowed and what not and care about rules. Maybe some of you can understand why im angry about this.

Dont get me wrong here , i love CK2 and EUIV and all the other great games Paradox made. But i simply cant get why they waste such an huge potential with such the lack of communication.
These Games like CK2 and EUIV are real Pearls in the modern gaming world that's filled more and more with the 20 Versions of some COD clone :-)
It could all be so easy. Set up nice Subforums for the Big Mods in CK2 and EUIV (beside no one knows why we had it in EU3 HOI3 and VICII but not now)
Make up some Rules that make sense. Tell us exactly what's allowed and what not.

Thats are the reasons for me to leave this Forum now and stop modding here.
I'm more than sad that i have to do this , i make some good friends here and I love the talks and modding with them.
To you Gigau , Lukew, Aasmul , Wiz , and all the other out there I had a good time here :

Keep up your great work !! You all have done an fantastic job and brought the games here to real Glory.
Without YOU those games were just good ! With your work they are something special !

To Paradox : If you want to ban me from here after this , feel free to do.
But maybe you listen to yourself and get all those people here a little more respect for their work and communicate more with them. Its not that hard :-)
You NEED them , they don't need YOU.

Once again, thanks for the time here and all the best to you !!
an very sad EOOQE

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?644573-MOD-NBRT-%28A-complete-Map-Upgrade-Package%29&p=16362014&viewfull=1#post16362014

That's a Minecraft-level Modder Meltdown right there

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I know his first language isn't English and all but I'm really struggling to even understand what he's mad about here.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Something about COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL, DO NOT STEAL and rules to... support that? Uh, gently caress if I know but Paradox modders are the kind of people to have a meltdown if their stuff shows up in some other free mod.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mister Adequate posted:

I know his first language isn't English and all but I'm really struggling to even understand what he's mad about here.

I mentioned this in the EUIV thread a while back; as I understand it, he was upset that MEIOU & Taxes hadn't been granted its own subforum in the EUIV mod forums on Pdox. He got into a fight with, I think it was Seelmeister? A mod, over this. Mod said, basically, that he wasn't the guy to talk to about this and that the guy should contact an admin. Through a comedic sequence of misunderstandings and communication failures, EOOQE became increasingly irate, started ranting about mod oppression and disrespect and eventually ragequit.

Shitstorm in a thimble, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mister Adequate posted:

Looks to me like fairly standard Modder Entitlement; "you need modders more than modders need you, Paradox!" as though Modders would just run off and create their own, better games if they weren't distracted by taking the obvious failures published by some Scandanavian game company and building them into something playable through the application of their sheer genius, so clearly Paradox should give them free sub-boards and pay their hosting fees or whatever the hell it is he's talking about.

• Locked thread