Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Changamer
Feb 20, 2013
Wow, Demise is a great track.

But to escape, does the BP of the person have to be exactly 9, or just 9 and above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Changamer posted:

But to escape, does the BP of the person have to be exactly 9, or just 9 and above?

9 or above. No need to get all mathy and perfectly plan it out.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
If Junji Ito had written VLR, this'd be the true ending.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Hot drat, that's even less of an ending than the Coffin in 999.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Kanfy posted:

If Junji Ito had written VLR, this'd be the true ending.

K: Th-THIS IS MY DOOR. IT WAS MADE FOR ME

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I just looked back at the Ally results and it seems K has 9 points there - but it seems something prevents him from going? Because it looks like he could just leave in either branch, but he only leaves in the Betray one.

Does the preservation of the medicine keep K inside then?

Or I guess it might not have happened yet but still he could leave with Dio after the plot lock.

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 11, 2013

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Dio being evil is probably one of the most disappointing things about VLR.

I remember in 999, I thought Santa would be evil or at least extremely difficult to deal with because he swore a lot and seemed like he'd be a jerk. And then he turned out to be one of the coolest guys in the game.

So, to have a jerk character in this game who turns out to actually be a total douche isn't much of a twist.

But that twist is what you, and everyone else who played the first game, were expecting, so it wouldn't be a very good twist. Better to just not have a twist than have a predictable one.

Fallord fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 11, 2013

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Hahahahahaha...

I guess this means K won't be coming back with help; though there could be any number of reasons for that and it's not necessarily his fault.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I remember in 999, I thought Santa would be evil or at least extremely difficult to deal with because he swore a lot and seemed like he'd be a jerk. And then he turned out to be one of the coolest guys in the game.

The first thing I ever saw of 999 was an out-of-context screenshot of Snake attacking Ace in the furnace. You can imagine how that affected my perception of those two characters.

In this game so far, it's turned out that Luna was secretly innocent and nice, and Dio was secretly selfish and evil. Does anyone still think that K isn't secretly a robot?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
For a bad ending track, Demise is really soothing. Much less grim than Quietus, that's for sure. I like it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

I just looked back at the Ally results and it seems K has 9 points there - but it seems something prevents him from going? Because it looks like he could just leave in either branch, but he only leaves in the Betray one.

Does the preservation of the medicine keep K inside then?

Or I guess it might not have happened yet but still could occur after the plot lock.

The door hasn't been opened (yet?) in the ally branch, because everyone was distracted by Sigma's BP dropping to -1. Either K or Dio could go straight to the door and open it as soon as we continue from that point, who knows.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

RoeCocoa posted:

In this game so far, it's turned out that Luna was secretly innocent and nice, and Dio was secretly selfish and evil. Does anyone still think that K isn't secretly a robot?

Even if it's a "twist by being exactly what you originally thought", it's gotta be something more than just robot. Going with the 999 metaphysical stuff, maybe it's a robot being directly controlled by the subconscious psychic fields of one (or even all) of the participants - he apparently went psycho when all the murdering was happening, he ditched everyone when Dio was planning to, he was nice when everyone was trusting... Hell, maybe it's even the ghost of the old woman or something? Maybe they're testing the ability to capture ghosts and that's why the facility is nearly abandoned for being so huge. Has there been a time where he went against what the group as a whole was feeling?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

If I learned anything from 999 and Ever17, it's that nothing is what it seems like anyway so I don't bother thinking about things too hard at this point. It's all going to turn out to be something bizarre that'll put everything that has happened previously into a completely different light, most likely involving the player on some meta level.

Just going with the flow until then!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gotta say, if Dio's secret is that deep down he's really an rear end in a top hat, then that makes "K is really a Robot, just like he appears to be" entirely plausible.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Well, I'm never going to try predicting anything again.
I guess Dio is exactly that awful. gently caress Dio, the only good ending is one in which he gets the poo poo beaten out of him over and over again.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Speedball posted:

Gotta say, if Dio's secret is that deep down he's really an rear end in a top hat, then that makes "K is really a Robot, just like he appears to be" entirely plausible.

In a big twist it will be revealed that Luna's a really nice person and Tenmyouji is old!

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
I got impatient and got the game off the 3DS eshop and have been playing ahead. And given what happened just this update... Is there any way to skip the credits that plays after each ending? I've seen it 4 times now.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Speedball posted:

I still say he's Ace. Would give him a perfectly plausible reason to feign ignorance (with Alice and Clover around), he's about the right build to match K, and, like Ace before more was revealed about him, K is faux-cooperative, until he finds a way to make an advantage for himself.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Sigma being just some guy who happened to get kidnapped would actually be a genuine twist.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Kanfy posted:

Sigma being just some guy who happened to get kidnapped would actually be a genuine twist.

Chances are slim what with him working at a lab before. He's probably the one who invented Radical-6 in the first place, or he IS Radical-6 or something nutty like that.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

booksnake posted:

I got impatient and got the game off the 3DS eshop and have been playing ahead. And given what happened just this update... Is there any way to skip the credits that plays after each ending? I've seen it 4 times now.

No way to skip them on 3DS. On Vita you apparently can.

:iiam: and it sucks

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Kanfy posted:

Isn't that exactly what is happening? He flat out says in the first hour that his only real problems are school papers and a vindictive ex girlfriend (or a vindictive husband of someone who cheated with him :ssh:).

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Mister Roboto posted:

Isn't that exactly what is happening? He flat out says in the first hour that his only real problems are school papers and a vindictive ex girlfriend (or a vindictive husband of someone who cheated with him :ssh:).

Well, isn't it obvious? Sigma is only one of a number of people named Sigma. One of them is responsible for Radical-6, one killed an old lady and dumped her corpse in a booth, one trapped someone in a robotic suit... somehow, all of them are connected to this game except the innocent one, who was kidnapped by the other five simply for sharing their auspicious name. Hence the alternative, rejected subtitle for the game - Six Sigmas.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Nidoking posted:

Well, isn't it obvious? Sigma is only one of a number of people named Sigma. One of them is responsible for Radical-6, one killed an old lady and dumped her corpse in a booth, one trapped someone in a robotic suit... somehow, all of them are connected to this game except the innocent one, who was kidnapped by the other five simply for sharing their auspicious name. Hence the alternative, rejected subtitle for the game - Six Sigmas.

At least that's what the game has you think, but really it's just Sigma's not-yet-unlocked ability to travel through is OWN morphogenic field. Those "other" sigmas? They're the "innocent" sigma, but from alternate timelines! The real story is about consolidating all the timelines to ensure Sigma dies. The end!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Speedball posted:

That flow chart's going to be huge by the end of the game.

I'll probably start putting it behind a link when it gets bigger, especially since apparently the Awful app for the iPad handles timgs in the dumbest way: that is, it displays them full size. :v:

theshim posted:

For a bad ending track, Demise is really soothing. Much less grim than Quietus, that's for sure. I like it.

I have to agree, though I kinda like Quietus a little more. Not sure why.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Bruceski posted:

In a big twist it will be revealed that Luna's a really nice person and Tenmyouji is old!

Personally, for Tenmyoji I'm gonna have to quote Phi. He's really 20, he just did a poo poo ton of drugs.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Kay Kessler posted:

Personally, for Tenmyoji I'm gonna have to quote Phi. He's really 20, he just did a poo poo ton of drugs.

He's like 21 and newly single at Christmas.

Conclusion: this entire game is just Sigma on a massive bender.

Eggnog and weed are a hell of a drug.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

RoeCocoa posted:

Hahahahahaha...

I guess this means K won't be coming back with help; though there could be any number of reasons for that and it's not necessarily his fault.
That's not really the takeaway you should get from this. Remember: everything in this game is seen from Sigma's perspective. So Sigma can't see or know what K will do next. Is he going to come back for help? Will he not? The lingering question of what could be is important here and knowing that you'll never know the truth because this is a Bad End.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

lotus circle posted:

That's not really the takeaway you should get from this. Remember: everything in this game is seen from Sigma's perspective. So Sigma can't see or know what K will do next. Is he going to come back for help? Will he not? The lingering question of what could be is important here and knowing that you'll never know the truth because this is a Bad End.

I think his point was that since it's a bad end instead of "punch Dio until K comes back" extended storyline, we can assume that nothing interesting happens after this. Ergo: K does not come back.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Clarste posted:

I think his point was that since it's a bad end instead of "punch Dio until K comes back" extended storyline
Granted, that should be an option for every single decision, not just when K left the 9 door. :colbert:
  • Go through Cyan Door
  • Go through Magenta Door
  • Go through Yellow Door
  • Punch Dio until everyone returns

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pretty goddamn short-sighted of Dio to smash the cure right then and there. He doesn't have enough points to escape so he can't run out the door laughing, the disease is known to be infectious so unless Quark is cured they'll probably all die of suicide, and outright telling everyone else there that he had a boy's life in his hands and ended it out of spite means that they're probably going to surround him and stab him to death because they'll jump to the conclusion he's the murderer.

This is not the Internet, Dio, and you don't have admin privileges. Griefing isn't tolerated in the Nonary Game!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Just because Quark is cured doesn't mean he won't be infectious though. You can treat the symptoms for the flu, but you've still got the flu until you get over it and people around you can still catch it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Looking forward to whatever odd setup a new branch has for us. Maybe we can figure out why K wants to get out so badly?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Flea Wars posted:

Hot drat, that's even less of an ending than the Coffin in 999.

Not every possible path in a game with so many branches and endings can lead to a meaningful ending, - there's actually two types of endings in this game - 'game over' which means essentially 'bad end', you got nothing out of it, and an 'Ending' which reveals a piece of the larger puzzle.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Who has the syringe gun dealy Luna was killed with before, and could that presumably be used to get the bracelet off Sigma? Though he passed up so many perfectly good opportunities to get the vial off of Dio, or at least let the others know that it's hard to believe he'll suddenly be capable of thinking that creatively.

Anyway, the body count has been disappointingly low this run, and the whole tone of the game still doesn't feel quite as intense as 999. Sigma hacking of his own arm and then beating Dio to death with it would certainly spice things up, but sadly our protagonist isn't nearly :black101: enough.

Though he was getting there when he started going after Dio even after being drugged...it's just a shame Dio actually handed over the medicine instead of getting strangled. I would have loved to see a scene something like Ace and Snake's final showdown.

...really they should have just brought Snake back and made the whole game from his POV. He was 200% more awesome than anyone here this time around, and think of all the money they could save by not needing graphics.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Zoe posted:

Anyway, the body count has been disappointingly low this run, and the whole tone of the game still doesn't feel quite as intense as 999. Sigma hacking of his own arm and then beating Dio to death with it would certainly spice things up, but sadly our protagonist isn't nearly :black101: enough.

Though he was getting there when he started going after Dio even after being drugged...it's just a shame Dio actually handed over the medicine instead of getting strangled. I would have loved to see a scene something like Ace and Snake's final showdown.

...really they should have just brought Snake back and made the whole game from his POV. He was 200% more awesome than anyone here this time around, and think of all the money they could save by not needing graphics.
A game can still be intense without people dying left and right. Not every run needs to be a bloodbath.
Snake is awesome, but I'm fine with him being out of the game this time. And besides, they'd still need to make a whole 3D model + animations for him, remember the first game used sprites.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The 3d models for the characters are actually something I really dislike about VLR. There are just not enough animations and in a lot of poses the characters look really off/giving the wrong kind of reaction to what is happening. Clover is the worst example of them all. They also really lack the charme and character that the sprites had in 999.

Edit: Don't get me started on those horrible still renders that look like theyre straight out of a 90s fmv game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ramengank posted:

A game can still be intense without people dying left and right. Not every run needs to be a bloodbath.
Snake is awesome, but I'm fine with him being out of the game this time. And besides, they'd still need to make a whole 3D model + animations for him, remember the first game used sprites.

The point about it being from Snake's POV is that he's blind. So... no graphics.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

FrickenMoron posted:

The 3d models for the characters are actually something I really dislike about VLR. There are just not enough animations and in a lot of poses the characters look really off/giving the wrong kind of reaction to what is happening. Clover is the worst example of them all. They also really lack the charme and character that the sprites had in 999.

Edit: Don't get me started on those horrible still renders that look like theyre straight out of a 90s fmv game.

This is the reason why I'm only peripherally invested in this game right now. Fedule is doing a great job presenting it but drat if I just don't feel the same tension and care for characters like I did in 999.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Clarste posted:

The point about it being from Snake's POV is that he's blind. So... no graphics.
That's what I get for not paying attention to the whole post. :doh:

Not sure if a text-only adventure game would be a step forward or back for this series, though. I am mostly fine with the 3D models, save for really jarring expressions from Clover. After all, it gave us this:

And that's only good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Nidoking posted:

Hence the alternative, rejected subtitle for the game - Six Sigmas.

Psh, what a crappy name. Nobody would buy it with a name like that.

Sigma Six, on the other hand... that's a gold-star name.

• Locked thread