Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I don't know if anyone else here is having the Air problems MacRumors is talking about, but I've got a big shadowy horizontal bar through my screen and the right side of my screen is distractingly blue. I think I may just return the Air rather than play Apple roulette since I border-hopped to get it more cheaply and I don't want to open another and find the same thing.

Urgh, I want to love this so much. :(

Why don't you open it at the store and make sure it's ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Joe Don Baker posted:

Why don't you open it at the store and make sure it's ok?

Yeah when I've exchanged Apple stuff in the past, they always open it right there to make sure it looks okay.

Also try your local Apple store. I've had luck exchanging things in Canada when I bought it in the U.S., before.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
The one time I exchanged an iPad for a stuck pixel the person asked me if I wanted to inspect it right there. I wouldn't have cared much about the stuck pixel if a) I wasn't passing through where an Apple store was on my day off and b) it wasn't absolutely right next to where I hold the ipad with my hands. It was mid-way up the ipad and right next to my thumb in portrait.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
My first Air had a cluster of dead pixels right around the middle of the screen. Exchanged it with no problems, and the genius said it was the worst Air they've seen yet.

My new Air has some scuffs on the back, but the screen's perfect so gently caress it I'm keeping it. Just means I won't panic as much when I inevitably scuff it myself later.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Three-Phase posted:

Did you have to do some "reprovision" stuff? (I think that might have only been if you moved a prepaid iPad 2 account to a replacement iPad 2.

Nope, the process for me was exactly what I described both going from the 2 to the 3, and from the 3 to the Air. Coincidentally, switching over to T-mobile from a Verizon Air was just as easy. I picked up a T-mobile SIM for the free 200mb of data, and I was able to set up the new account 100% on the iPad. Switching back to the Verizon SIM just works as well. Really happy that Apple decided to move to just one cellular model.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TraderStav posted:

How are these on the front screen? I've been a bit of a purist on screen protectors because of the feel of the touch. Really considering this to prevent scuffs and scratches on the next air.
I don't know. I don't use screen protectors.

TraderStav posted:

Edit: also, how does the backing improve the slipperiness of it? Does it make it easier to hold on to or worse?
Better.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I don't know. I don't use screen protectors.
Better.

Ah, so you are only using the backing. Got it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

flavor posted:

No trust me, it wasn't. And honestly, I'd really get AppleCare with a machine that costs >$2k.

This is not the Macbook thread, but you're a loving idiot if you think the burn in in the Macbook Pro retina wasn't bad. Even 5 minutes of staring at a youtube video leaves the white edges showing when you switch to another screen. If there are rumors of the Retina Mini getting this burn-in, I'd rather wait instead of buying one at release.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

This is not the Macbook thread, but you're a loving idiot if you think the burn in in the Macbook Pro retina wasn't bad.
Did you know: some screens were worse than others? Calm down.

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
I don't know how to the phrase the question in a Google search. So how high of a pixel density do you need so that you can't see them anymore no matter how close you are to the screen (to the naked eye)? Would jamming a 4k display on a 10" or even 12" tablet be overkill?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Did you know: some screens were worse than others? Calm down.

Sure, which is why I'm complaining about mine and being wary of reports of bad retina screens in the new Mini.
When I got my RMBP I researched the Samsung vs LG retina screen debate, and I dismissed it due to idiots like that guy going "it's not that bad!". Welp, 10 months later my screen is burn-in central (Yes, it's an LG). I'm saying, just because it's Apple, they can gently caress up too even in their high end stuff, and idiots like me who swallow the company line of "It just works" can get burned too. Going "You should've got AppleCare with that 2k device" is a whole another discussion I'm not getting into.

Anyway, consider me calm, I'll drop it here, and if anyone's curious about how bad the burn-in in my screen, you can ask me in PMs. I'm not some OCD color designer, my eyesight is pretty poor, so when even I notice it, it's really bad.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I think it's stupid to condemn the retina mini for burn in issues when no one has laid eyes on a retina mini and the burn in issues are just a rumor that people here seem to be taking way too seriously.

You take a chance ordering a product day one from any company. Odds are good the majority of retina iPad mini's will be fine, and that apple will replace the ones that aren't.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Also, Apple is already taking steps to AVOID burn-in. This is behind-the-scenes stuff.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Switcheasy got dem Canvas's for the Air. For anyone who cares. The only disappointing part is it was Lime Green, turquoise, Pink or Black. So I went Black. The Lime Green was nice but I feared ultimately it would look dirty.

http://www.switcheasy.com

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

dzarc posted:

I don't know how to the phrase the question in a Google search. So how high of a pixel density do you need so that you can't see them anymore no matter how close you are to the screen (to the naked eye)? Would jamming a 4k display on a 10" or even 12" tablet be overkill?

That would probably do it - but it would absolutely destroy battery life (for no realistic gain for 95-99.9% of the use cases).

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Feenix posted:

Switcheasy got dem Canvas's for the Air. For anyone who cares. The only disappointing part is it was Lime Green, turquoise, Pink or Black. So I went Black. The Lime Green was nice but I feared ultimately it would look dirty.

http://www.switcheasy.com

Yeah, I'm sad about the colors - they had such great ones for the earlier iPads. I was hoping to get another tan one for my Air, but I'll have to be content with black/gray.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nihiliste posted:

Yeah, I'm sad about the colors - they had such great ones for the earlier iPads. I was hoping to get another tan one for my Air, but I'll have to be content with black/gray.

The olive/army mini Canvas was my absolute fave.

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie

Shmoogy posted:

That would probably do it - but it would absolutely destroy battery life (for no realistic gain for 95-99.9% of the use cases).

So what's up with all the <5" smartphones with 1080p?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dzarc posted:

They keep shoving bigger batteries in them and there's not really any visible difference between 1080p and 720p at that size.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Any good sleeves for the air out there? I prefer something wool or cotton if possible.

How well would the air fit into an older iPad sleeve?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dzarc posted:

From some quick searching the minimum focusing distance of the human eye is around 6 inches, so by this calculator (whether it's using the actual retina equation have no clue though) 4K@10" is pretty close to the mark. But yeah it'd be overkill cause you're not going to be viewing the screen that closely the vast majority of the time.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

dzarc posted:

The technology was already there and it's just a good way for manufacturers to say 'hey, this phone's way better than the previous generation' to really try and convince them to spend £600 on a phone. Apple started consumers actually giving a poo poo about pixel density so other companies are taking it to its logical extreme to the detriment of stuff that's actually more important.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Looks good on a checklist of features.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Paradoxish posted:

Nope, the process for me was exactly what I described both going from the 2 to the 3, and from the 3 to the Air. Coincidentally, switching over to T-mobile from a Verizon Air was just as easy. I picked up a T-mobile SIM for the free 200mb of data, and I was able to set up the new account 100% on the iPad. Switching back to the Verizon SIM just works as well. Really happy that Apple decided to move to just one cellular model.

Sounds like I am worrying way too much about this; thanks for the information Paradoxish.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Don Tacorleone posted:

loving idiot

idiots like that guy going "it's not that bad!".

gently caress
idiots

Okay I guess it's the highway if people don't see it your way and different degrees of burn-in didn't exist. It's possible that yours was worse than mine, but I was trying to help a person here asking about the rMBP, so I just pointed out that your experience may not have been general. I didn't make it up that the effect was slight.

Don Tacorleone posted:

Going "You should've got AppleCare with that 2k device" is a whole another discussion I'm not getting into.

Too bad, I'd really like to hear your reasoning on that.

e: BTW Macrumors has a weird article about the Retina iPad Mini being released tomorrow: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/11/apple-to-launch-retina-ipad-mini-on-november-12/

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 12, 2013

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

flavor posted:

Okay I guess it's the highway if people don't see it your way and different degrees of burn-in didn't exist. It's possible that yours was worse than mine, but I was trying to help a person here asking about the rMBP, so I just pointed out that your experience may not have been general. I didn't make it up that the effect was slight.

Too bad, I'd really like to hear your reasoning on that.

e: BTW Macrumors has a weird article about the rMBP being released tomorrow: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/11/apple-to-launch-retina-ipad-mini-on-november-12/

It's the retina iPad mini, not the MacBook Pro.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
Seems weird that they'd make the retina mini available before lifting the review embargo. What don't they want us to know? :tinfoil:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Why review something with unknown availability, possibly hurting sales of the Air?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
As someone who decided to hold out on the Air and is waiting for the Mini, I'm hoping they have enough stock to cover the first few hours of people storming the website.

TyrantWD fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 12, 2013

ShadowFox1001
Sep 21, 2013
I'm kinda skeptical. I think it's just a rumor and nothing more than that. They list countries that are already into the 12th and don't even have them available for sale yet. Maybe the 15th would make sense or 22nd, but this is too odd to be a real thing.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Holy poo poo, the Apple Store is down.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

echobucket posted:

Hold onto your butts people! Gonna try to snag a black Verizon 16GB.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

echobucket posted:

Well poo poo

Jumped on the Air mostly because the retina mini was, well, up in the air. Kinda wish I'd waited now.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

in_cahoots posted:

It's the retina iPad mini, not the MacBook Pro.

Yeah sorry, crazy day, being called an idiot on these forums and all, I never!

So and now this even seems to be true. I was 99% sure it was just some BS story.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
So, it's 9:18pm in California, so do they usually do this things right at midnight? That's quite a long time for me to sit here :f5: ing

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Is the best way to ensure you have one ASAP ship to home or store pickup?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

echobucket posted:

So, it's 9:18pm in California, so do they usually do this things right at midnight? That's quite a long time for me to sit here :f5: ing

Yeah, midnight.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

This release is going to be a massive gently caress up if they have to do it this way.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

gucci void main posted:

This release is going to be a massive gently caress up if they have to do it this way.

Really weird how the news got out in this accidental way.

Pissingintowind posted:

Is the best way to ensure you have one ASAP ship to home or store pickup?

Pickup, because that would mean you could just go to a store tomorrow, whereas shipping will take a few days.

I highly, highly doubt though that this release is going to have in-store pickup. I expect a slaughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

gucci void main posted:

Maybe the plan is to sneak it on the site and all the people who are rabid about getting one will be "in the know" and be able to get one, and it'll be sold out by tomorrow morning.