Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I want him to heal me? Why is mendicant bad? This is so loving counterintuitive. I just spent 5k goddamn RC to make him REALLY want to heal me, just not as much as he wants to use buffs, and now it's a bad move somehow. Great.

e: when that guy said "buy fifteen x, fifteen y, and fifteen z, drink them in reverse order" he wasn't being hyperbolic and five would have sufficed right?

You seem to be complaining an awful lot about a video game. Chill out, dude. Have a beer. :guinness:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Krinkle posted:

I want him to heal me? Why is mendicant bad? This is so loving counterintuitive. I just spent 5k goddamn RC to make him REALLY want to heal me, just not as much as he wants to use buffs, and now it's a bad move somehow. Great.
If you have Medicant as one of your secondary inclinations for your support pawn, that should be alright. The problem with primary Medicant is that they become too goddamn obsessive about healing, so they start wasting healing items and being a bit of a distracting nuisance.

Also, if your pawn is picking up people a bunch, that's probably because you or one of your other pawns is doing that a bunch. Potions, commands, and the chair will help mold your pawn, but it will also pick up on other actions it sees a lot of.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Krinkle posted:

e: when that guy said "buy fifteen x, fifteen y, and fifteen z, drink them in reverse order" he wasn't being hyperbolic and five would have sufficed right?

The healing one isn't that bad, he'll just prioritize healing you if you have any damage at all, so he will never use his offensive spells.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Count Uvula posted:

The healing one isn't that bad, he'll just prioritize healing you if you have any damage at all, so he will never use his offensive spells.

The problem I have with another pawn healing me is that I want that pawn to kill something. Anodyne only heals you up to your "white" health, and you have to stand in it like a goober and here comes hulkamania elder ogre with a drop-kick from downtown. If my health is low, I'll chug a salubrious brew, now start chucking fireballs at poo poo. The most support I get from my pawn is as an enchant slave. Holy/Frost/Thunder + High Ingle/Levin/Frigor.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is there a good guide/list on how to complete all of the important quests that can be permanently missed out on? I only play games once. I never do new game+ or anything like that, so I'd like to see as much content as possible in one go.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Megasabin posted:

Is there a good guide/list on how to complete all of the important quests that can be permanently missed out on? I only play games once. I never do new game+ or anything like that, so I'd like to see as much content as possible in one go.
http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Sidequests

There's this table for the stuff that doesn't push the story forward. There are still story quests you can end up missing, but those are very obvious (i.e. the Wyrmhunt series of quests from Ser Maximillian).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Went back into BBI for the first time since Dark Arisen came out and went into the second area, with the undead and the bridge. A Gorecyclops spawned and my main pawn, bless her, immediately Arc of Deliverance'd it so hard it fell off the bridge and gave me that sweet EXP with no effort.

Basically, two-handed swords are rad as heck.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 11, 2013

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Hunting griffins is the worst. I don't even have a reason to other than "it's been a week and I see him up there, why not?" but I just burnt through 30k gold worth of waystones going between the three places he frequents. He comes down exactly long enough to swallow a cow and is off again. As a magic archer there is seemingly nothing I can do to make him stay. He is gone by the time I activate flame-on, which I just unlocked. He is gone by the time I charge sixfold bolt. He out-flies hunter bolt. He doesn't care if I just regular-shoot him in the wings. He doesn't care about anything. I killed five cows, he eats one, he's gone, next timezone. I don't know what even I can do to make my dream of being on fire and hugging a griffin a reality because he won't stay on the ground for longer than a second and it takes two seconds to flame on.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Speaking of Magick Archer, is there some weird scaling on Immolate? I used it to kill a bunch of stuff in BBI even with cruddy gear because it did damage no matter what. Also I learned that succubi can't grab you if you're on fire :supaburn:

The really crazy thing with MA is Funnel Trail though. If you put it on the sides of ledges, it's strong enough to pull Eliminators off for easy kills! I think it might work with Ogre-sized enemies too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Mendicant can make pawns so obsessive about healing in general that they'll chew through healing items at a hilarious rate. A Mendicant Mage will also usually drop everything to start casting Anodyne the moment you have even the tiniest scratch on you, which is about as annoying as it sounds. Then again, if what you want in a Mage is for them to heal you right the hell now, then Mendicant will get that done. Similarly, a Guardian pawn will stick to your side like glue whether it's useful or not, and a Nexus pawn will do everything in their power, all else be damned, to save their fellow pawns.

Most of the best Mages I've hired have been some combination of Utilitarian and either Scather or Mitigator. Utilitarian tends to lead to a good balance of buffing and healing; they'll usually heal you when your health starts to get around 50 to 60 percent in battle, and pretty much all the time outside of battle, when they don't have anything else to focus on.

As for fifteen elixirs, I've had mixed results, but it never hurts to be safe, I suppose. My advice when it comes to elixirs themselves is skewed a little bit because I may have found a weird quirk of Sorcerer AI and the Nexus inclination consistently replacing Utilitarian, but I'm still trying to play with it and find out what's happening. Since your pawn is a Mage you don't really have to worry about that little thing, at least, because I've only ever heard of it happening to Sorcerers. It's, uh, weird.

Edit: Full disclosure that I am a weird min-maxing freak when it comes to games like this. If your pawn is doing what you want them to do, there's no reason to do the roundabout fiddling that I'm clearly suggesting. And I should probably never reply if someone asks about stats for their characters, because... well, it'll be worse than this.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 11, 2013

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Speaking of Sorcerors, I'd like to go in that direction with my pawn. Until now I've had her as a Mage/healymans but Sorcs sound really cool. The inclination is set as Utilitarian/Medicant, but I'm guessing that sucks for a Sorceror. What do I want - Scather/Challenger, maybe? I genuinely have no idea.

I doubt I have enough RC to change it now but it'll be good to know for later. (so far my pawn has only been hired by two people, one was my buddy and the other was a random person who gave a 3 Battle/4 Helpfulness/5 Appearance rating and a rock for a present, with a comment about how adorable she was :negative:)

Also, what spells do you guys prefer to roll with? I'm guessing the main three elements, and what else? Are there any non-Mage/Sorc augments that I should try getting?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Scather/Mitigator is working really well for me on my Sorcerer. She was Scather/Utilitarian for a while, but Utilitarian kept turning into Nexus no matter what I did; I haven't had that problem with Mitigator. I generally hire a Mage pawn to handle the elemental enchantments, so she doesn't need to use her own spell slots for that.

Definitely keep Comestion and Levin around at all times. Comestion is wonderful against anything that fire hurts (which is just about everything in the main, pre-Bitterblack game), and Levin is probably the best spell in the game for knocking down annoying fliers. Take either Frigor or Gicel for your ice spell, depending on how long you're willing to wait for cast times. I love Gicel myself, and my pawn's been smart about using it, but Frigor is meaningfully faster. In the Gransys areas (not Bitterblack), High Miasma is incredible--even against enemies that resist darkness, it can do pretty magnificent damage. It's less good in Bitterblack, though. And High Voidspell will save your rear end a lot, because it cures status debilitations and petrification.

Augment-wise, at least go grab Bastion from the Warrior vocation. It's a rank 1 augment that costs 900 Discipline to learn, so you don't even have to rank up Warrior to get it, and it cuts physical damage by way more than the description implies. It's the one augment that never leaves my list or my pawn's list. Ever.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BlueDestiny posted:

Speaking of Magick Archer, is there some weird scaling on Immolate? I used it to kill a bunch of stuff in BBI even with cruddy gear because it did damage no matter what. Also I learned that succubi can't grab you if you're on fire :supaburn:

The really crazy thing with MA is Funnel Trail though. If you put it on the sides of ledges, it's strong enough to pull Eliminators off for easy kills! I think it might work with Ogre-sized enemies too.

Immolate scales with your strength stat, IIRC. So if you had one of the OP physical daggers (Helmbarte, Fremae Blades) I could see that happening.

Krinkle posted:

Hunting griffins is the worst. I don't even have a reason to other than "it's been a week and I see him up there, why not?" but I just burnt through 30k gold worth of waystones going between the three places he frequents. He comes down exactly long enough to swallow a cow and is off again. As a magic archer there is seemingly nothing I can do to make him stay. He is gone by the time I activate flame-on, which I just unlocked. He is gone by the time I charge sixfold bolt. He out-flies hunter bolt. He doesn't care if I just regular-shoot him in the wings. He doesn't care about anything. I killed five cows, he eats one, he's gone, next timezone. I don't know what even I can do to make my dream of being on fire and hugging a griffin a reality because he won't stay on the ground for longer than a second and it takes two seconds to flame on.

I think the only Griffin I've ever bothered to kill is the one you do as part of one of the main quests.

Cloche posted:

Also, what spells do you guys prefer to roll with? I'm guessing the main three elements, and what else? Are there any non-Mage/Sorc augments that I should try getting?

Ingle, Levin, Comestion, Fulmination, Givel, and the holy buff. I don't like giving magic pawns two buffs since they always seem to use the wrong one, even with knowledge of the enemies we're fighting. Holy is really good, as not too much resists it, and it has a chance to heal you every time you hit with it.

Never give your pawn Maelstrom; it's a good spell, but it gives you the Blind debuff (by which I mean you yourself literally cannot see what's going on on the screen).

As for good augments, Sinew is really good (for both you and your pawn) since it increases your weight load by 20 kg, really useful for remaining at a light load while lugging around stuff.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 11, 2013

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Genocyber posted:

As for good augments, Sinew is really good (for both you and your pawn) since it increases your weight load by 20 kg, really useful for remaining at a light load while lugging around stuff.

In addition to Sinew the strider's Leg Strength augment is really good for mobility, because it drops all your weight classes by one level, so when you combine the 2 you have like 1/3 of your total weight that you can carry while still being at Very Light encumbrance.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

But you're dropping other augments for them. It's not particularly worth it I find. Carry weight limits are pretty dumb.

Bitterblack Isle has kind of screwed with my pawn inclinations because every time Death pops up I just mash down on the d-pad and run. I hate having to drop everything in the middle of a dungeon to go resummon pawns and I don't seem to do much damage so that fight isn't worth the effort. Unless it's weak to one of the good magic spells Sorceror has (if it's weak to Seism then gently caress that).

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Death is weak to getting blown the gently caress up by blast arrows.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

But you're dropping other augments for them. It's not particularly worth it I find. Carry weight limits are pretty dumb.

So? Leg-strength and Sinew are two of the best augments. BEing able to carry around a ton of periaps and Blast Arrows while maintaining light movement speed is a godsend.

quote:

Bitterblack Isle has kind of screwed with my pawn inclinations because every time Death pops up I just mash down on the d-pad and run. I hate having to drop everything in the middle of a dungeon to go resummon pawns and I don't seem to do much damage so that fight isn't worth the effort. Unless it's weak to one of the good magic spells Sorceror has (if it's weak to Seism then gently caress that).

Don't mash the d-pad. Just book it to the nearest exit an hope your pawns follow you instead of trying to attack death. If you're quick enough he shouldn't be able to kill them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blast Arrows do nothing for me because I'm not any of the archer classes and my pawns really, really don't follow me if I don't tell them to. Like the room with the two chained gorecyclops, if I go to the balcony first and the enemies aggro on me they just run down there on there own if I don't stop them.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Thanks for the info! I'll keep all of that in mind. What about that Fighter augment that raises health? Is that any good for casters?

Also, I'm adding a bunch of you 360 goons as OVoguish if that's okay, because now that I'm progressing more through the game the difference between a good pawn and a no-effort one are becoming much more noticeable. It's amazing how many level 30+ pawns I summon that are still in the default clothes and without any extra skills or anything.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

tooooooo bad posted:

Death is weak to getting blown the gently caress up by blast arrows.

That's how I beat Daimon's 2nd form the 1st time. When in doubt, blast arrow out!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Blast Arrows do nothing for me because I'm not any of the archer classes and my pawns really, really don't follow me if I don't tell them to. Like the room with the two chained gorecyclops, if I go to the balcony first and the enemies aggro on me they just run down there on there own if I don't stop them.

Alright, then Throwblasts. They do a fuckton of damage.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Cloche posted:

Thanks for the info! I'll keep all of that in mind. What about that Fighter augment that raises health? Is that any good for casters?
I tend to use it for my pawns since some extra HP is a good thing if their A.I decides to spazz out during an inconvinient moment.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Or just, you know, change class. I went through most of BBI as a Magic Archer but changed to Ranger just to machine gun the bosses to death with exploding arrows.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Which would only be useful to me against Death and maybe the multiple drake encounters, unless they can do damage to Metal Golems (gently caress those things, my pawns refuse to target the discs and my triangle attack is literally the only thing I have that can damage them which takes forever).

Plus, if I really needed them for something I can just have my pawns hold them until I need them. They never use them anyway. There is no convincing me that item weight is a good mechanic. :colbert: Maybe if it were more like Dark Souls it'd be better.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Which would only be useful to me against Death and maybe the multiple drake encounters, unless they can do damage to Metal Golems (gently caress those things, my pawns refuse to target the discs and my triangle attack is literally the only thing I have that can damage them which takes forever).

Plus, if I really needed them for something I can just have my pawns hold them until I need them. They never use them anyway. There is no convincing me that item weight is a good mechanic. :colbert: Maybe if it were more like Dark Souls it'd be better.

I'm not sure if they work on Golem/Metal Golems or not. I'd assume so, since they do explosive damage.

Item weight makes a ton of sense in a game like this. If there wasn't that mechanic you could carry around 999 of each type of periaps, 999 blast arrows, and as much healing and stamina curatives you would ever need.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
I couldn't find a clear answer on the game wiki so would anyone who's beaten the game happen to know if completing The Everfall and defeating the Seneschal locks me out of Dark Arisen until I go New Game+?

edit: vvvvv drat I thought I was almost done with this thing in time for the PS4. Still, it's an awesome game and I don't regret it being one of my last PS3 games.

Yar The Pirate fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 11, 2013

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
Yeah. That's the point of no return.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

I'm not sure if they work on Golem/Metal Golems or not. I'd assume so, since they do explosive damage.

Item weight makes a ton of sense in a game like this. If there wasn't that mechanic you could carry around 999 of each type of periaps, 999 blast arrows, and as much healing and stamina curatives you would ever need.

You already can carry around everything you'd ever need. It's only prohibitive towards picking up stuff as you go through a dungeon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yar The Pirate posted:

I couldn't find a clear answer on the game wiki so would anyone who's beaten the game happen to know if completing The Everfall and defeating the Seneschal locks me out of Dark Arisen until I go New Game+?

edit: vvvvv drat I thought I was almost done with this thing in time for the PS4. Still, it's an awesome game and I don't regret it being one of my last PS3 games.

It doesn't lock you out of Bitterblack Isle, if that's what you're asking. You can access it from pretty much the start of the game.

Unrelated but offline Ur Dragon goes down so hilarious quickly with a Sorcerer. :allears:

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

I tried out mystic knight as ive rolled through bbi as a magic archer several times and goddamn its a pain in the rear end to kill things with it. I made my pawn into a strider and hired a ranger pawn to handle when dragons take off flying and all they do is scream out "its taken flight master what can we do?" shoot it with the bow you have dickhead thats what you do. I even unequip the meele weapons and those assholes still try to climb up it and punch it haha.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Enchant weapon with appropriate element, set up 4 Great cannons, spam attacks until enemy is dead. That should work for pretty much everything.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I just beat the main game, am I going to be a magic archer forever now? I've got a sinking feeling that I can't change classes anymore.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Krinkle posted:

I just beat the main game, am I going to be a magic archer forever now? I've got a sinking feeling that I can't change classes anymore.

You can still change classes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Go to the pawn guild in Gran Soren. You can change vocations there in the post-game. You can also change vocations in Bitterblack Isle.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Krinkle posted:

Nope. You're now terminally addicted to Magic Archer, just like the rest of us!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Harrow posted:

Go to the pawn guild in Gran Soren. You can change vocations there in the post-game. You can also change vocations in Bitterblack Isle.

Every time I try there's a man who stops me.

I went to the post end game and this old man is trying to kill me. I tried to leave but the door is locked. I looked around, rifled through his papers. I got bored. I noticed there's a golden sword in my inventory so I held it and then committed seppuku for some reason. Use a wakestone? No. I guess I've done everything now.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Nope, not nearly.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I got a mission from a guy and he said to go to everfall. it's not on my map, I've never heard of it and have no idea where it's supposed to be. according to the internet it's underneath (?) the city... but how do I find the entrance?

The woman asking about the flowers was weird too, I didn't find a single one of the second kind and now I think I cant complete it. Outside of this the game is great so far. Climbing about on the rooftops in the city is strangely fun, i'm enjoying how agile you are.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I was being facetious because my character committed suicide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

cubicle gangster posted:

I got a mission from a guy and he said to go to everfall. it's not on my map, I've never heard of it and have no idea where it's supposed to be. according to the internet it's underneath (?) the city... but how do I find the entrance?

The woman asking about the flowers was weird too, I didn't find a single one of the second kind and now I think I cant complete it. Outside of this the game is great so far.

You get in through the pawn guild.

And I think the second kind of flowers only appear at night? Or something like that.

• Locked thread