Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I'm not surprised since what I've seen of the MEC troopers tells me that they easily will be dominating the early and mid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Other reviews completely contradict the point. Reserve judgment as always.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
They need to do a Cydonia or TFTD expansion next(coming after the main game) with new fuckoff hard enemies.

I'll play and enjoy this expansion, but this is why a TFTD or Cydonia expansion would be better. The game already got easy as hell at the end, why do we need even more broken abilities?

quote:

In what world do they need buffing?!

Have you played the original game(UFO Defense)? They were so incredibly terrifying in that game, you would land, see them in a terror mission, and usually the best policy is to say "Sorry Sydney :saddowns: " and take off.

It really added a layer to the game that this one doesn't have.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 11, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Since people like me obviously don't deserve the game at the same time as the Americans, I will take solace in the fact that US/Canada goons will play the game for me and tell me how it is. And I hope all have learned till now that you simply cannot know if a game is good until it is out and the wider public has reviewed it or you played it yourself (see SotS2).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm less worried about the game being easier and more interested in there being less of a first-hour hell hump to get over.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Darkrenown posted:

Some reviews!
http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/11/11/xcom-enemy-within-review
IGN thinks the game is easier now and that Exalt are a joke, sadly.
It appears this reviewer played in Classic difficulty.

All is not lost, as this gives more reason to play in Impossible or use a mod like Implassic to make the game a little more challenging (sorry about the shameless self-plug of the mod).

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Speedball posted:

I'm less worried about the game being easier and more interested in there being less of a first-hour hell hump to get over.

It'd be nice if panic was tied more to your overall performance in the battlescape and council grading than the RNG determining that the aliens really like south america or something.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It's not a Civ or Xcom game, but if Firaxis wants to keep remaking Microprose properties, I would love to see an update of Darklands. They could even have expansions where you play in other countries during similar periods. The game is surprisingly fun to play, especially character creation and the mid-game after you've ground up some fighting skill, but it is just crazy old at this point and kind of awkward to use.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

nnnotime posted:

That will be the new Clormal difficulty mode (Classic+Normal).

This is definitely getting installed once I've played through Normal and Classic EW, I really appreciate it!

From what I gather of XCOM:EU's development process, they spent several years spinning their wheels and rapid-prototyping many different potential games. The "vertical slice" archive footage they showed in Polygon has absolutely nothing in common with the final XCOM:EU, for instance. The final game they pushed out really knocked it out of the park conceptually, but they really had to crunch like hell to clean up one of those rapid prototypes and make it shippable, and it shows. It's still a fantastic game, don't get me wrong.

Given how successful EU was and the fact that companies generally like money, I'm sure they'll do a full-fledged follow-up, this time with a much clearer plan for the engine's foundations. Particularly with Enemy Within, it looks like Firaxcom is stepping out of UFO Defence's shadow and cutting its own path as an excellent game (series) in its own right.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mr Dog posted:

Given how successful EU was and the fact that companies generally like money, I'm sure they'll do a full-fledged follow-up, this time with a much clearer plan for the engine's foundations. Particularly with Enemy Within, it looks like Firaxcom is stepping out of UFO Defence's shadow and cutting its own path as an excellent game (series) in its own right.

Yeah, I tend to think that Firaxis should just design what it wants to make in the X-com game, and leave the loyal remakes to stuff like Xenonauts.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Stepping out of the shadow of the past to make their own thing is probably in their own best interests. The grognards can still go back to 1994 X-Com and we can have new cool stuff too. I totally wouldn't have expected gene modification, giant cyborg teammates or human terrorist groups in an XCOM follow-up. (Well, okay, Apocalypse had the option of human enemies but it never really happened much)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Lotish posted:

It's not a Civ or Xcom game, but if Firaxis wants to keep remaking Microprose properties, I would love to see an update of Darklands. They could even have expansions where you play in other countries during similar periods. The game is surprisingly fun to play, especially character creation and the mid-game after you've ground up some fighting skill, but it is just crazy old at this point and kind of awkward to use.

I'm actually kind of hopeful for a Gettysburg remake. It's been long enough, right?

That or a Railroad Tycoon game. I miss those games :(

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Torrannor posted:

Since people like me obviously don't deserve the game at the same time as the Americans, I will take solace in the fact that US/Canada goons will play the game for me and tell me how it is. And I hope all have learned till now that you simply cannot know if a game is good until it is out and the wider public has reviewed it or you played it yourself (see SotS2).

While I of course could never comment on a SotS2, there was another 4x game a little more recently called Legends of Pegasus. Before release you knew it was going to be terrible, they posted no gameplay videos, there were no previews, in fact, reading their website I was not even sure of the genre. There was literally no information about it. Bad games always try to hide their gameplay before release.

XCOM, on the other hand, posts a LOT of gameplay videos, and this was one of the things that really sold me on EU before release. EW really can't be terrible, too many people are playing it and posting videos. Worst case balance may be off and some EU bugs might not be fixed still, but it's pretty much impossible to be LoP levels of broken.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm actually kind of hopeful for a Gettysburg remake. It's been long enough, right?

I'd love to see a modern remake of Gettsyburg. Take Command was interesting, but Gettysburg was designed in a particular way that makes it more enjoyable to play, in my opinion.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
All the reviewers have been saying the same thing, and it wasn't really difficult to notice - that MECs are overpowered as gently caress.

And unfortunately they haven't done anything to make the endgame not a joke :(

nacon
May 7, 2005

nnnotime posted:

There will be such a mod. In the next Implassic release (later this week) I'm going to add two variations that give one the Normal Geoscape for both Implassic and regular Classic difficulties. If that is not sufficient you can tweak the mod files yourself.

I had problems installing the implassic mod when I'd installed X-Com outside of the normal Steam Directory. Can you add an option to specify the current Steam directory for X-Com?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mr Dog posted:

This is definitely getting installed once I've played through Normal and Classic EW, I really appreciate it!

From what I gather of XCOM:EU's development process, they spent several years spinning their wheels and rapid-prototyping many different potential games. The "vertical slice" archive footage they showed in Polygon has absolutely nothing in common with the final XCOM:EU, for instance. The final game they pushed out really knocked it out of the park conceptually, but they really had to crunch like hell to clean up one of those rapid prototypes and make it shippable, and it shows. It's still a fantastic game, don't get me wrong.

I'm all for them trying new stuff, but I still really desperately hope they decide to do an EU-styled reimagining of Terror from the Deep. TFTD was an amazing concept and setting utterly ruined by terrible gameplay and awful bugs, so I'd like to see someone do it justice.

dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013
^^

Was it? I mean, they had some sort of neat alien concepts, but a few of them needed more fleshing out/replacing (like Tasoths). And supersonic submarines were a bit :psyduck:, not to mention why mind control didn't continue to work underwater (all those first war psychics weren't any good anymore?), how implant-based "molecular control" affected humans, and plenty of other weirdness.

Though undersea aliens with a fair bit of Cthulu-esque weirdness wouldn't be awful, and the sea floor was definitely spookier than farmer's fields, I'm not sure the world needs more TFTD. I'd rather see an Apoc reimagining, as that would make an even better boardgame geoscape.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

Hopefully this fixes the incredibly annoying teleporting behavior that always ruins my breaches. I make sure everyone's reloaded, lined up by a door, and prepare to attack a group of aliens I can hear but haven't seen. Then on the turn I'm about to ambush the aliens, they've teleported across the map to the opposite side of me, undoing a few turns of preparation. :argh:

The best worst one I ran into was my last game. I had slowly worked my way through a supply ship, finally getting to the end. I ghosted up my entire team, and sent them into the control room. An Ethereal and a pair of Elites were chilling at the bottom of the ramp, so I got everyone in position (with my run and gun assault on overwatch) and ready to nuke them on the following turn when they uncloaked. So of course they teleported all the way out to the entrance bay, and then activated.

I managed to kill them without losing anyone, but that was complete bullshit. I would gladly take longer alien turns (which aren't even that long on my old i5 desktop), if it meant the aliens actually walked instead of teleporting. It's especially infuriating when they teleport further than they could sprint. That game they probably teleported 4 full turns worth of sprinting in a single move.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I'm debating picking up Slingshot at the same time as Enemy Within. Is Slingshot worth it for the gameplay? It sounds like it just increases the initial difficulty without doing much else.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Ersatz posted:

I'm debating picking up Slingshot at the same time as Enemy Within. Is Slingshot worth it for the gameplay? It sounds like it just increases the initial difficulty without doing much else.

Only worth it for the hats, in my opinion.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ersatz posted:

Slingshot gives you a shitpile of alloy and elerium, which makes the mid game much easier. Plus you get early blaster launchers, which also make the mid-late game easier. The only tricky bit is the second mission, but if you bring two heavies it's not even that bad.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

oswald ownenstein posted:

All the reviewers have been saying the same thing, and it wasn't really difficult to notice - that MECs are overpowered as gently caress.

And unfortunately they haven't done anything to make the endgame not a joke :(

How do you repair MECs in the field, the arc thrower foundry upgrade?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I think some get the ability to self-repair slightly.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

HaitianDivorce posted:

Yeah, just dress it up as an endorphin rush perfected by millennia of alien genetic engineering or something, give them visual cues so you know which ones to prioritize (bioluminescence, frills, tons of drool, whatever) and give 'em nasty AI that has them doing poo poo like hiding on rooftops just out of sight and we might have something as terrifying as the original Chryssalid. It would give you a nasty dilemma between fanning out as fast as possible to stop them or saving one civilian and then hunkering down and would generate tons of hilarious/horrifying stories, which is basically what XCOM's all about, right?

Speaking of which, how would you fix Chryssalids? Probably more health and instant zombification?
Some weaker than melee short range poison darts so they have something to do when just outside melee range/arn't allowed to attack up or down one tile. Sure, Titan armor and upgraded medkits make you immune to poison over time, but they would still hurt a little and keep you from waving your dick in the air in front of em feeling untouchable.

I don't think any "Real" (Aka, better than my "Well, I beat Normal" rear end) players will be anywhere close to satisfied with New Chrysalids until they have what I consider their defining gimmick. Not their ability to move a million tiles then kill several people in one turn. Not the fact they can tank a High Explosive rocket to the face and not even flinch (My first memory of them being that, then the second one tanking three Laser HWP shots to the face). Not the fact they make instant zombies.

No, the defining gimmick of the Chrysalids was that their zombies will hatch into a fresh chrysalid on death, if you don't kill them with fire or explosives. Add that in, and Vahlen bitching about explosives every time you properly kill a zombie, and then we'll have something close. Without that, they will never be "proper" Chrysalids. But I'm perfectly fine with that.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

dumpster17 posted:

supersonic submarines

This is actually (potentially) a thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercavitation

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Those screens of the EXALT base look fly as hell. When do we get to play as those guys?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Those screens of the EXALT base look fly as hell. When do we get to play as those guys?

Around two months ago in the critically-acclaimed The Bureau: XCOM Declassified.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Meis posted:

Does anyone know which lines from which ini file you're supposed to delete to make loading times get quicker? I remember there being a bug where if you have the DLC the game will attempt to load certain things multiple times, making things take longer and longer because the number of times goes up by 1 every time you launch the game...

Right here.

Oh hey, something new about it:

TES Nexus posted:

01 Oct 2013: The root cause of this problem has been identified as the format of the all the "Package" entries in the [Engine.PackagesToFullyLoadForDLC] section of DLC's XComEngine.ini file. The 'dot' preceeding the keyword "Package" is a UE3 Special Character and needs to be replaced with a 'plus', as in:

[Engine.PackagesToFullyLoadForDLC]
{change}
.Package=Zhang_ANIM
{to}
+Package=Zhang_ANIM

Work is underway to alter the cleanup script below to incorporate this fix so it will only need to be run after a game update or verification of game cache files.

Neat.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Section Z posted:

Some weaker than melee short range poison darts so they have something to do when just outside melee range/arn't allowed to attack up or down one tile. Sure, Titan armor and upgraded medkits make you immune to poison over time, but they would still hurt a little and keep you from waving your dick in the air in front of em feeling untouchable.

I don't think any "Real" (Aka, better than my "Well, I beat Normal" rear end) players will be anywhere close to satisfied with New Chrysalids until they have what I consider their defining gimmick. Not their ability to move a million tiles then kill several people in one turn. Not the fact they can tank a High Explosive rocket to the face and not even flinch (My first memory of them being that, then the second one tanking three Laser HWP shots to the face). Not the fact they make instant zombies.

No, the defining gimmick of the Chrysalids was that their zombies will hatch into a fresh chrysalid on death, if you don't kill them with fire or explosives. Add that in, and Vahlen bitching about explosives every time you properly kill a zombie, and then we'll have something close. Without that, they will never be "proper" Chrysalids. But I'm perfectly fine with that.
Speaking of which how about a mod to make Chrysalids turn their victims to zombies 100% of the time rather than the nerfed values on Normal/Classic. There really needs to be an upgraded version of it late-game. I tried a game with 'Allow abductions in countries with satellite coverage' but that just made the geoscape a RNG mess late-game. Really having only 6 states for panic isn't a lot to work with on the strategic layer.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't know about you but they turn their victims like 100% of the time for me, even if they don't play the "put eggs down their neck" animation.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Section Z posted:

Huh. Sounds like the best option for that would be "kite until it pops, then murder the resulting 'lid, since if you kill the zombie you're not just wasting ammo. .

Chrysalids need to be able to do half-damage attacks or non-zombifying attacks-that-snare or something as a free action after a double-move, kind of like Run-and-Gun. Or just give them Run-and-Gun with the cooldown so they can't always do it. As is, they're really easy to kite most of the time. The ability to have a poison shot that slows targets significantly would also help. Also, they're more dangerous when mixed in with ranged enemies, so doing that more would also be good. They're definitely more dangerous in Long War just because of the increased pack size and increased number of packs. 3 'lids at once are easy to deal with. 5 of them with another pack of 5 Floaters/Mutons/whatever can really gently caress you up because the two best ways of dealing with 'lids (ignoring cover and bunching up so everyone gets a good shot) mean you're going to get crit-shot or grenaded.

I'm not saying that all of the Run-and-Gun stuff or extra abilities should be added onto current Chrysalids, but there should be something like "elite" 'lids that show up later with some or all of the above upgrades.

edit:

Speedball posted:

I don't know about you but they turn their victims like 100% of the time for me, even if they don't play the "put eggs down their neck" animation.
Only if you see them do it. If they attack a civilian in the fog-of-war on a terror mission, they have much less chance of coming back as a zombie on anything but impossible.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Speedball posted:

On Easy and Normal, if a Chrysalid kills a civilian you can't see, they don't turn into a zombie, on Classic they have a 50% to and on impossible it is 100%.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

dumpster17 posted:

^^

Was it? I mean, they had some sort of neat alien concepts, but a few of them needed more fleshing out/replacing (like Tasoths). And supersonic submarines were a bit :psyduck:, not to mention why mind control didn't continue to work underwater (all those first war psychics weren't any good anymore?), how implant-based "molecular control" affected humans, and plenty of other weirdness.

Though undersea aliens with a fair bit of Cthulu-esque weirdness wouldn't be awful, and the sea floor was definitely spookier than farmer's fields, I'm not sure the world needs more TFTD. I'd rather see an Apoc reimagining, as that would make an even better boardgame geoscape.

TFTD rocked. Chrysalids are nice, but nothing beats Tentaculats. Underwater fights had awesome atmosphere, I liked the ruins on the floor of the ocean, and I cannot remember any enemy in the first XCOM as durable as the Lobstermen. And you had no weapon with infinite ammo. And underwater bases were infinitely more awesome than the bases of the first game.

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
Does anybody know of any mods that make iron will retroactive? If not, could I go into the game files and change it so I just start with it?

I really hate how a non-retroactive iron will splits my squad into "B team has-beens" and "rookies".

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Medikit, same as anyone else.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TroubledWaters posted:

Does anybody know of any mods that make iron will retroactive? If not, could I go into the game files and change it so I just start with it?

I really hate how a non-retroactive iron will splits my squad into "B team has-beens" and "rookies".

I don't see why this should happen. Will is almost entirely meaningless for high-ranking non-PSI soldiers. Sectoid Commanders and Ethereals ought to die the turn they are activated, so you shouldn't have to worry about mind control. And once they get a few ranks under their belt, they probably won't do much panicking.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

TroubledWaters posted:

Outside of randomly rolling the will increases yourself and modifying your save through Toolboks... nope? Shame too as I have a 111 base will support [at the basic Psi level] the that missed some iron will boosts.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Skuzal posted:

On Easy and Normal, if a Chrysalid kills a civilian you can't see, they don't turn into a zombie, on Classic they have a 50% to and on impossible it is 100%.

I had some real fun on a Impossible Terror mission once where I ended up on that "Military Depot" map (the one with all the tanks and stuff) where pretty much all the civilians got eaten before I could get to them. It ended up being one of the bloodiest and nastiest fights I ever have done in XCOM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vengarr posted:

I don't see why this should happen. Will is almost entirely meaningless for high-ranking non-PSI soldiers. Sectoid Commanders and Ethereals ought to die the turn they are activated, so you shouldn't have to worry about mind control. And once they get a few ranks under their belt, they probably won't do much panicking.
Also, if you rank up someone with good Will, either before or after Iron Will, there's a new OTS upgrade that lets you substitute the squad leader's Will for nearby lower-will soldiers'. Not perfect, but should help overcome particularly bad PTSD soldiers.

I still wish they'd do more with Psi abilities than they did.

• Locked thread