Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

The White Dragon posted:

Wait so can you cheese this or what? Can you save in the middle of a streak and scum it or does the game know?
The game breaks your streak if you try to reset, but you can Interrupt and save and hold your streak at its current place until you feel like playing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I just hope we get more boxes. 31 isn't enough in a game that has Wonder Trade!

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I just hope we get more boxes. 31 isn't enough in a game that has Wonder Trade!

Seriously. Daddy needs his lotto-ID masterball!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Unbound posted:

Is there a secret to passing down nature? I'm working on my first breeding project by making a Bold Squirtle with Rain Dish Water Spout and Aura Sphere. However, I can't seem to get a Squirtle with Rain Dish and the moves. For referance the two pokes I'm breeding both have Rain Dish, Bold and moves between the two of them. The one with Rain Dish is holding the Everstone. A full box in and I have a bunch of Torrent Squirtles.

Make sure the female has the ability you need. Females pass down their ability 80% of the time. If you're using a male with a Ditto, it's more like 20%. Nature is passed down with an Everstone, like you're doing.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Wait so can you cheese this or what? Can you save in the middle of a streak and scum it or does the game know?

The game autosaves before it lets you start battling, and if that save is loaded it sets your streak to 0.

e: Whoops, beaten. What's up new page.

Silver Falcon posted:

If you're using a male with a Ditto, it's more like 20%.

Breeding a male with a Ditto gives him the same chance of passing on his ability as a female does normally. I think. All the drat breeding changes might be getting me mixed up.

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 11, 2013

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Unbound posted:

Is there a secret to passing down nature? I'm working on my first breeding project by making a Bold Squirtle with Rain Dish Water Spout and Aura Sphere. However, I can't seem to get a Squirtle with Rain Dish and the moves. For referance the two pokes I'm breeding both have Rain Dish, Bold and moves between the two of them. The one with Rain Dish is holding the Everstone. A full box in and I have a bunch of Torrent Squirtles.

Also, Bold is a nature, and is passed down via the everstone. Rain Dish/Torrent are abilities.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Silver Falcon posted:

Make sure the female has the ability you need. Females pass down their ability 80% of the time. If you're using a male with a Ditto, it's more like 20%. Nature is passed down with an Everstone, like you're doing.

Ok, so if I take one of my Torrent Squirtles that have Water Spout and Aura Sphere and bred them with a Squirtle that has Rain Dish (while holding the Everstone) it should work after a couple eggs?

astr0man posted:

Also, Bold is a nature, and is passed down via the everstone. Rain Dish/Torrent are abilities.

Oops, meant to say ability not nature. I have too many Bold Squirtles now...

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Unbound posted:

Ok, so if I take one of my Torrent Squirtles that have Water Spout and Aura Sphere and bred them with a Squirtle that has Rain Dish (while holding the Everstone) it should work after a couple eggs?

Oops, meant to say ability not nature. I have too many Bold Squirtles now...

Assuming the one with Rain Dish is female then yes that should work. Also whichever mon is holding the everstone shouldn't matter in your case since (I'm assuming) both of your parents are bold.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

astr0man posted:

Assuming the one with Rain Dish is female then yes that should work. Also whichever mon is holding the everstone shouldn't matter in your case since (I'm assuming) both of your parents are bold.

By this point, they are. So, Everstone is just for Nature and doesn't affect Ability Transfer?

VVV Had that happen a couple of times. Can they just remember them or are they hosed?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

And make sure the parents still know the moves. If they level up too much in the daycare they might get overwritten.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Unbound posted:

By this point, they are. So, Everstone is just for Nature and doesn't affect Ability Transfer?

Correct.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Unbound posted:

VVV Had that happen a couple of times. Can they just remember them or are they hosed?

You can have them re-learn the moves if you have a Heart Scale. Nice addition to this gen!

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Hey guys just a quick question.

Which Pokemon would you consider the cutest in X/Y? I want to build a team of adorable Pokemon and see how they do online.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Unbound posted:

You can relearn egg moves from the move rememberer.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Ok, thanks for all of the help, guys! I think I finally have this breeding thing down.

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry
It seems like everyone wants a Gengar that has disable. I thought that move was useless for competitive battling. Gengar has no bulk so it seems like if it doesn't take the opponent out in the first move it usually won't survive, making disable even less useful. What am I missing that makes disable so awesome on Gengar?

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Mr DJB posted:

Which Pokemon would you consider the cutest in X/Y? I want to build a team of adorable Pokemon and see how they do online.

Dedenne would definitely be on my list, but if I ever used it I'd have to take the good suggested name and call it Hampere because really, who the gently caress thought of calling it Dedenne?

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry

Mr DJB posted:

Buizel, Zigzagoon, Minccino, Goomy, Vulpix, all of the Eevees

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pyrocat posted:

It seems like everyone wants a Gengar that has disable. I thought that move was useless for competitive battling. Gengar has no bulk so it seems like if it doesn't take the opponent out in the first move it usually won't survive, making disable even less useful. What am I missing that makes disable so awesome on Gengar?

Substitute. Gengar's faster than most things you'd put him in against, and as a status move, Sub disrupts sucker punch, letting you disable from behind a wall and chow down on leftovers.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Wicked Wall posted:

Dedenne would definitely be on my list, but if I ever used it I'd have to take the good suggested name and call it Hampere because really, who the gently caress thought of calling it Dedenne?

What, and you had no problem with Pachirisu or Pikachu? :colbert:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Pyrocat posted:

Gengar has so many loving immunities that it isn't uncommon for a Pokemon to only have 1 or 2 moves to actually use against Gengar. If it Disables, then subs up to block status, that can be a pretty deadly situation.

Disable also got an accuracy boost in Gen 5.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Mr DJB posted:

Jesus, that's a tough one. Every not fully evolved pokemon (even feebas :colbert:) is a serious contender, but some you might overlook are definitely Maractus, Audino and Illumise. Those three are in my top tier-list of sweet looking pokemon.

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry

notthegoatseguy posted:

Gengar has so many loving immunities that it isn't uncommon for a Pokemon to only have 1 or 2 moves to actually use against Gengar. If it Disables, then subs up to block status, that can be a pretty deadly situation.

Disable also got an accuracy boost in Gen 5.

Disable still picks randomly though, correct? And you'd need to have a free turn to get substitute up, which means relying very heavily on prediction.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Mr DJB posted:

Vivillion, just 6 different regions of Vivillion.

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry

horriblePencilist posted:

Jesus, that's a tough one. Every not fully evolved pokemon (even feebas :colbert:) is a serious contender, but some you might overlook are definitely Maractus, Audino and Illumise. Those three are in my top tier-list of sweet looking pokemon.

horriblePencilist posted:

Maractus, Audino and Illumise. Those three are in my top tier-list of sweet looking pokemon.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Pyrocat posted:

Disable still picks randomly though, correct? And you'd need to have a free turn to get substitute up, which means relying very heavily on prediction.

Disable hasn't picked randomly since gen one, it's the last move the target used.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Pyrocat posted:

It disables whichever move the target used last. The usual tactic is to Substitute in someone's face, then when they immediately break the sub, you use Disable to keep them from using that move again. A lot of Pokémon only have one move that can break Gengar's subs.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

It's probably worth mentioning that as of this gen anything with Infiltrator just shits all over that strategy, as does anything with a strong enough sound-base attack.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Zoran posted:

It disables whichever move the target used last. The usual tactic is to Substitute in someone's face, then when they immediately break the sub, you use Disable to keep them from using that move again. A lot of Pokémon only have one move that can break Gengar's subs.
If you're really nasty/gambling, you then use that locked down foe to set up some Calm Mind or Nasty Plot boosts. Only leaves one attack move, though, which obviously causes problems with coverage.

LAY-ZX posted:

It's probably worth mentioning that as of this gen anything with Infiltrator just shits all over that strategy, as does anything with a strong enough sound-base attack.
Yeah, Scrappy Exploud is a superhero. ESPECIALLY with Specs.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 11, 2013

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

LAY-ZX posted:

Gengar, meet Scrappy Boomburst Exploud

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

The Leper Colon V posted:

If you're really nasty/gambling, you then use that locked down foe to set up some Calm Mind or Nasty Plot boosts. Only leaves one attack move, though, which obviously causes problems with coverage.

Yeah, Scrappy Exploud is a superhero. ESPECIALLY with Specs.

Crobat is a loving monster with Infiltrator. I can't count the number of times he's blown away a Mega Gengar hiding behind a sub.

Why I didn't get Thunderbolted out of the sky I can't tell you but poo poo I ain't complaining.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Mr DJB posted:

Lilligant, Sylveon, Audino, Torchic, and Meowstic.

Oh right, also Zygarde. That thing is adorable.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

So I'm trying to come up with the ideal EV spread for my Togekiss. This is what I'm modeling it off of:

" Bulky Attacker (courtesy of AccidentalGreed)
Nature: Modest
Ability: Serene Grace
Evs: 248 HP / 40 SpA / 28 SpD / 192 Spe (EVs by Alexwolf)
Item: Leftovers / Life Orb
- Dazzling Gleam
- Air Slash / Aura Sphere
- Fire Blast / Aura Sphere
- Roost
"

From the Smogon forums. I'm thinking of running it with an Assault Vest and investing more in physical defense. Also, mine is Timid, not Modest. Moveset is: Aura Sphere, Dazzling Gleam, Air Slash, Flamethrower

Anyone got a good EV spread suggestion for me?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

For reference, using stat x BP as a guide, BB Exploud hits harder than a 130 SpAtk mon hitting with STAB Ice Beam/Tbolt.

Yeah. Guy hits harder than goddamn Magnezone.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 11, 2013

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Mr DJB posted:

Goomy, Eevee, Phantump, Zigzagoon, Pumpkaboo, and Fennekin

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry

LAY-ZX posted:

Disable hasn't picked randomly since gen one, it's the last move the target used.

I haven't used it since Gen 1! Thanks, that makes much more sense now.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

The Leper Colon V posted:

For reference, using stat x BP as a guide, BB Exploud hits harder than a 130 SpAtk mon hitting with STAB Ice Beam/Tbolt.

Yeah. Guy hits harder than goddamn Magnezone.

In fact it hits about as hard as Kyurem-W's Ice Beam.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Goomy, Eevee, Phantump, Zigzagoon, Pumpkaboo, and Fennekin

Phantump is cuter than Pumpkaboo. No doubt.

Boom Burst is such a rad move, especially after the sound-move buff. It's like some executives were like, "You know who's a cool Pokemon? Exploud."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just pray that Porygon-Z never gets access to the move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

LAY-ZX posted:

And make sure the parents still know the moves. If they level up too much in the daycare they might get overwritten.

The moves will definitely get overwritten, but until you pull the parent it doesn't matter.

I had a Wish Eevee gain 50 levels and it kept churning out Wish Eevees, but as soon as I took it out it would stop doing it since it didn't have Wish anymore.

• Locked thread