Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ooooooooh poo poo. Nice choice! If I saw that at the local Guitar Center, I'd completely unable to resist too.
Speaking of Guitar Center, the one in Natick, MA has some FANTASTIC deals on used guitars, including a couple of Les Pauls and an SG I'm sorely, SORELY tempted by.

And they've got a Trans Purple Flametop Standard in stock...
Yes I have a problem don't judge me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Declan MacManus posted:

I already did. It was on clearance so it was only 140. And now it is mine :swoon:
At $140 that's not being weak, that's being a smart shopper.

Edit for content...

I, on the other hand, know nothing about smart shopping:

I need to thin the herd a bit now. Six is probably the ideal number of basses. Seven is really heading into a disturbing place.

RetardedRobots fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 12, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
^^^^ Nonsense. There's no such thing as too many basses.

Declan MacManus posted:

I already did. It was on clearance so it was only 140. And now it is mine :swoon:

For 140 bucks? I would have bought the poo poo out of that.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 12, 2013

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

juche mane posted:

Unf. What kind of WRHB is that? Better than the Fender 'reissues,' I'd imagine

I think its just the stock Tokai one. I am the worst at pick-ups but I can tell you it sounds great.

Warcabbit posted:

Who sells Tokai in the states anyhow? That there tele-oid seems like exactly the kind of thing I like.

I am in Canada, but I hear you can't get Tokai in Canada anymore either.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
:toot:

(obviously I bought two monitors, I opened the other one already)

Next step is to rig up some sort of desk rack by hacking together some Ikea bits, and then figure out what I need in the way of monitor stands and isolation pads.

Has anyone tried making their own isolation pads? Just wondering if they stack up against premade ones because $50+ for some chunks of foam seems a bit excessive.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Concatenation posted:

:toot:

(obviously I bought two monitors, I opened the other one already)

Next step is to rig up some sort of desk rack by hacking together some Ikea bits, and then figure out what I need in the way of monitor stands and isolation pads.

Has anyone tried making their own isolation pads? Just wondering if they stack up against premade ones because $50+ for some chunks of foam seems a bit excessive.

I'm sure you've seen it, but just in case:

http://wiki.eth-0.nl/index.php/LackRack

Anyway, enjoy the Pro 40! I've had one for three or four years now, and it's a really nice piece of kit.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

congrats on your sweet kitty but if you didn't jump on that blues jr with a free clam, then gtfo :colbert:

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Arrives this weekend, finally found a Brazilian mandolin for sale in the EU!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Slimchandi posted:

Arrives this weekend, finally found a Brazilian mandolin for sale in the EU!

What makes it Brazilian? Is it just the body, or is there a different tuning?

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm sure you've seen it, but just in case:

http://wiki.eth-0.nl/index.php/LackRack

Anyway, enjoy the Pro 40! I've had one for three or four years now, and it's a really nice piece of kit.

Actually the one I was looking at uses a different nightstand but the same idea - thanks for that, though. I assume Ikea deliberately sizes their stuff for rackmount gear.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Allen Wren posted:

I got all excited and thought it had a brazillian rosewood fretboard or something.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

Allen Wren posted:

Shape of the body is a little different to A-style mandolins, and the construction is subtly different. I'm a total mandolin novice so that's all I could tell you for now! Tuning is identical.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
On the topic of non-standard Mandolins, this man-jo came with our house.

It's missing a string, the bridge slides over the face, and I have no idea how to play it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

RetardedRobots posted:

Six is probably the ideal number of basses. Seven is really heading into a disturbing place.

poo poo. The junky ABG I leave at a bandmate's house for rehearsals doesn't count, does it?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Sockington posted:

On the topic of non-standard Mandolins, this man-jo came with our house.

It's missing a string, the bridge slides over the face, and I have no idea how to play it.

I think the issue you are having with it is it isn't in my house.

Cuddle me Softly
Jun 15, 2007

Countless odd religions too.
So I picked up this beaut for $825. I'm still in a state of shock.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

poo poo. The junky ABG I leave at a bandmate's house for rehearsals doesn't count, does it?
That counts against the acoustic guitar limit of three but only if you bring it home, right now it has the "Jam Space Exemption" which varies from state to state as you know.

that ostrich
Jul 18, 2005

Don't worry, I'm a Media Technician Lead. This shit is on LOCKDOWN.

Cuddle me Softly posted:

Holy drat, congratulations on the great deal!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Cuddle me Softly posted:

That is an absolute steal. The desktop version of this is on my want list but I've never seen it go below $1000. Congrats.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

RetardedRobots posted:

That counts against the acoustic guitar limit of three but only if you bring it home, right now it has the "Jam Space Exemption" which varies from state to state as you know.

There is no such thing as an acoustic guitar limit. No such thing :colbert:.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!
So, I came across this guy who had bought a road worn strat just because he wanted a nitro finished body. He yanked everything off the body and replaced it with parts from an American standard and was selling the leftover road worn parts cheap.

I jumped in and grabbed a Mark Jenny body on the cheap on ebay (also finished in nitro but don't tell the guy I bought the parts from). MJT bodies are really nice, but he tends to relic them too hard for my taste. To the point where paint is completely sanded off in large parts. I was really excited to score this body which is much more tastefully relic'ed. I have always wanted a vintage white guitar where its starting to turn that cool banana yellow color they age to.

Built it up tonight:

Has a nice pin-up on the back. I like it better tucked away there than the guitars I have seen with a similar thing on the front. Its a nice touch of personality.

No rubbed-off paint on the relic job but its really nicely checked. It really matches the road work parts I bought for the project.

And a closeup on the pin-up, who is under the topcoat which is checking over her.

Didn't take long to build up at all, but as soon as I can get my hands on a block I am going to hardtail the bridge. The tex mex pickups sound great and the body is really resonant.

uncle spero fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 15, 2013

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
^ Nicely done!

New Wampler Euphoria pedal and Dyna Comp. I had to go out and get a Voodoo Lab pedal power to power my board because I ran out of room with a 1-Spot. It actually ended up being a surprisingly good investment as it's cleared everything up REALLY nicely.

(Edit: Yes, I know I need to properly velcro everything down, but I ran out of Velcro. For now? I'm just happy that it works.)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Apologies for the double post, but I think this one's worth it.

I had the day off work. I took an hour or two today to get new velcro, clean the inside of the board, re-cable everything and re-velcro everything.

I won't bother posting a new picture because there's not a huge visual difference, but good LORD it is satisfying to have your pedalboard organised, cabled and sorted properly. It's like the whole board has become one big new toy even though it's made up of all my old toys :P

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Hammer Floyd posted:

Pedalboard cleanup.

I get that. At my first studio gig, the chief engineer told me me the importance of setting up sessions orderly (within reason) and keeping all the cable runs tidy. He called it 'studio feng shui'. Musicians seemed to just have a better attitude with a tidier set up.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Just something that popped into my head seeing your new Dyna Comp.

How many people here use a Compressor? Which one? and where do you use it?

I use a BYOC 2-knob compressor and I either use it first in my chain for rhythm, or near the end in my chain before reverb and delay to get a bit of a vintage studio production feel.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!
I use a cmatmods Deluxe Compressor. Can't say enough nice things about it.

http://www.cmatmods.com/deluxe-compressor.html

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

umalt posted:

I use a BYOC 2-knob compressor and I either use it first in my chain for rhythm, or near the end in my chain before reverb and delay to get a bit of a vintage studio production feel.

I put it straight after my tuner. I really like how it seems to glue the effects together.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Demeter compressor at the beginning of the chain.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

TC Electronics Nova Dynamics at the end of my chain and a Eden Analogue Cold Compress at the front.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

umalt posted:

Orange Squeezer clone I built myself at the beginning of my chain. I also have a Joyo clone of a Ross in my effects loop along with an EQ (I swap them all the time).

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Boss CS-2 Compression Sustainer at the end of my chain, if and when I use it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hammer Floyd posted:

^ Nicely done!

New Wampler Euphoria pedal and Dyna Comp. I had to go out and get a Voodoo Lab pedal power to power my board because I ran out of room with a 1-Spot. It actually ended up being a surprisingly good investment as it's cleared everything up REALLY nicely.

(Edit: Yes, I know I need to properly velcro everything down, but I ran out of Velcro. For now? I'm just happy that it works.)

Soooooo how do you like the Euphoria? :3:

I didn't post about it and it was like a year ago now but I got a Digitech Hardwire Supernatural Reverb from PGS and I quite like it for when I want to sound spacious and processed as opposed to sproing sproing sproingy.

I miss the ML how you guys been?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Soooooo how do you like the Euphoria? :3:

It's a touchy bastard! I think it's got a lot of potential, but it's not a great pairing with a Mesa Rectifier. I was looking for a Marshall in a box and I think that I'm trying to get the impossible out of a Recto.

That said, it's very transparent and flexible as hell. There's been a lot of real sweet moments that I've had with it. I haven't properly "bonded" with it yet, but I do think it's a great pedal.

Works really nicely with a TS9 behind it too.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Here is my current rig going on.
screen cap

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Agreed posted:

I've given up completely on using picks. Without your guidance, I've just been smashing strings with my bare hands.
That looks really good. It looks like a guitar that's been treasured rather than poo poo kicked.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Agreed posted:

Hey, man, where you been? Been thinking of you.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1048272421/tone-max-premium-titanium-guitar-picks?ref=popular
See?

Oh, wow. Guys, check this out.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roadietuner/roadie-tuner-the-ultimate-guitarist-tool?ref=live
Someone combined a smartphone app with an autostringwinder. It'll even do alternate tunings.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Haha, now I'm the pick guy and the wampler guy. You know, I don't really work for Wampler anymore, although I do still love 'em and remain friends with all the good folks at Wampler Pedals and Brian designs some killer stuff. I had to get back surgery and it put me out of commission for a solid year to do anything, and I probably won't be able to do the kind of work I used to ever again. I can barely hold a guitar at the moment. Bleh. While I was recovering, my picks were three and a half hours away, so I used some scissors to cut them out of an old expired Hastings card. Made a very bad attempt at a Jazz 3 and a Fender 351 shape that turned out better.

And they were every bit as good as my cool picks!

God drat they sucked. I'm glad I have my real picks back now, praise the lord :3:

I guess this means I can talk about a lot more stuff now. I'll, uh, try to reintegrate 'round these parts. I am lined up to do some colab work, vox on a track if the other guy flakes (and he's looking mighty flakey right now). That should be fun :) In thread-relevant news I am going to be getting the new Wampler Ace Thirty, I wanted Brian to finish up his design on that for like a year before my back went to poo poo. He "gets" the Vox sound and the features on it look brilliant, I think Jason did a great job with the design... Excited to be excited about getting a new pedal. Haha.

Somebody mentioned the Euphoria being touchy - yeah, it is, very much so. If you need some help dialing it in, let me know, I can lend a hand there. It works very well with any sort of crunchy boost stacked into it, or afterward, though you lose some of its clarity putting it before another pedal since you've then got the bandwidth restriction of the other pedal rather than the wide-open EQ on the Euphoria. Though it kicks a high-gain pedal in the rear end like just about nothing I've used. Better than a Boost for that job, they tend to flub out the input stage to the point where the pedal gets all fuzzy sounding. Amps can take a high signal level and get crunchier, pedals are operating +/-4.5 rail to rail in most cases. And high-gain pedals are usually already at the rails before you run something else into them, so the results of trying to boost them as you'd boost an amp tends to predictably just mush up the sound. 7ths lose definition completely, 9ths barely retain it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I just bought an arctic white LP studio because of this goddamned Gibson sale going on.

gently caress.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
err nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I bought a beat up Ernie Ball wah!

It has no battery box!

Whatever. I needed it for a gig that night and it was $60. Plus I've always liked the way these sound. No complaints about it—sounds fine either with a battery (taped in place) or an adapter. And I was surprised to find that it isn't any heavier than my Dunlop, despite feeling much more solid.

I still sounded awful at the show, but that was due to an unrelated amp thing. 10/10 would emergency-buy again.