Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Picked this up last night and I'm really liking it, though my contrast seems to be waaay up with shadows too dark and brightness too bright, Ill have to have a look at some settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

This game is definitely fun and I am quite enjoying it.

The mouse acceleration issues still persist though, hopefully they will get this problem ironed out soon, they say they are still working on it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, I think I'll set this aside until they fix the mouse acceleration.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh wow I just got torn in half! Holy crap! RIP Marcus. You weren't tough enough.

Edit: Well it's now 2:30 am and I'm still playing so I think this game is pretty drat fun. :D

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 7, 2013

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

It's definitely fun, but I'm finding the pace of random mission generation to be pretty intense. Stupid incompetent survivor buddies.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
You don't actually have to tackle the random missions as soon as they appear. The time limit on them is pretty generous, and even if it lapses usually what happens is the survivor just completes the mission without you.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm really enjoying the game but I wish I had more space. I set up shop in the house in that southwest part of the map, the one with the tree house. And I built a sleeping area, a workshop and a medical area outside and now I'm out of room which sucks because I'd really like a training area in there too. I'll have to scout for something bigger.

Can someone explain to me how outposts work? So far I've figured out that they project permanent safe zones and I've been using that to counter frankly annoying amount of hordes that keep attacking my house.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm really enjoying the game but I wish I had more space. I set up shop in the house in that southwest part of the map, the one with the tree house. And I built a sleeping area, a workshop and a medical area outside and now I'm out of room which sucks because I'd really like a training area in there too. I'll have to scout for something bigger.

Can someone explain to me how outposts work? So far I've figured out that they project permanent safe zones and I've been using that to counter frankly annoying amount of hordes that keep attacking my house.

I moved into the warehouse just down the road. You basically have to start from scratch there so it was a bit dodgy while I waited for the tower to go up.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
They will give you daily resources based on whatever the location contained, so leave at least one resource stack when searching it, then you can take them once you own the place.

They hinted at Breakdown coming out "not this week", and with Burial at Sea and Enemy Within dropping Tuesday, I'm gonna have a busy November, gently caress consoles.

Kasonic fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 8, 2013

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

As far as I know there's no home site where you can fit all the facilities at the same time. I reckon this is intentional.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Collateral Damage posted:

As far as I know there's no home site where you can fit all the facilities at the same time. I reckon this is intentional.

This is true, though hardly a hindrance... some of the facilities can be effectively made obsolete. The Library and Munitions lab can be abandoned once all research has been performed. I actually built a Munitions lab, medical lab, and library at the church and was half way through all research upgrades before my first move. Pipe bombs make infestations a snap, 1-2 thrown in a window will clear the entire place out without taking a scratch.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Late to the party, this game is amazing! Still feels a bit like a 360 game though. Any tweaks to crank up the graphics passed ultra?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Been playing this game like hell this weekend. Lots of fun. But I am bit unsure about how outposts work. I found this warehouse with about three rucksacks worth of building material. I turned it into an outpost. That means the building produces building material until it runs out of resources. Right? The other option being I just loot it all and bring it back all at once. I can still do that apparently but will I get more over time if I let it be inside the outpost?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

FuzzySlippers posted:

Late to the party, this game is amazing! Still feels a bit like a 360 game though. Any tweaks to crank up the graphics passed ultra?

I don't know if you're like me, but I was disappointed with the lack of 2560x1440 resolution.

Just add -fullscreen to the launch options, and the game runs in your desktop's native resolution. Works for me, really helped with my graphics complaints.

But the game itself? Ehh... a bunch of small, little things that bother me. I feel like I don't truly "get" this game, like I might be missing something.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Torabi posted:

Been playing this game like hell this weekend. Lots of fun. But I am bit unsure about how outposts work. I found this warehouse with about three rucksacks worth of building material. I turned it into an outpost. That means the building produces building material until it runs out of resources. Right? The other option being I just loot it all and bring it back all at once. I can still do that apparently but will I get more over time if I let it be inside the outpost?

When you initially set up an outpost, it will look at the rucksacks currently there and pick the first one alphabetically. From then on it will produce that type of item (ammo/food/gas/materials). Once it's up an running, it doesn't need any more rucksacks on site - you can and should loot everything there. If you build an outpost on a site with no rucksacks (which you might want to do to block zombies from spawning near your base) it will produce ammo.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Revol posted:

I don't know if you're like me, but I was disappointed with the lack of 2560x1440 resolution.

Just add -fullscreen to the launch options, and the game runs in your desktop's native resolution. Works for me, really helped with my graphics complaints.

But the game itself? Ehh... a bunch of small, little things that bother me. I feel like I don't truly "get" this game, like I might be missing something.

My hack for the resolution was to push it into windowed, maximize it, and then use borderless window to force it to full.

I'm digging the game a lot but I don't usually like zombie or "survival horror" games so its the emphasis on the survivors that really hooks me. I can't think of a game that has ever implemented much of anything like its perma death multi party sandbox style.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 11, 2013

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Torabi posted:

Best resource I've seen for Outposts is on the dev blog http://stateofdecay.wikia.com/wiki/Outposts

There's a lot of quirks to consider such as the type of resources you can get from them, and at what times.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Does this game have proper kb + mouse controls yet? I'm not touching it before every bit of floatyness and acceleration is gone from mouse controls. If not, have the developers given any ETA or is it a "soon" thing?

I recall reading the controls should've been done by the time early access ends but I've seen a lot of complaining about them still.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fewd posted:

Does this game have proper kb + mouse controls yet? I'm not touching it before every bit of floatyness and acceleration is gone from mouse controls. If not, have the developers given any ETA or is it a "soon" thing?

I recall reading the controls should've been done by the time early access ends but I've seen a lot of complaining about them still.

They'll be patching the mouse acceleration out sometime in the next few weeks. The update history says it should be done by the end of the year at the latest.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

This looks really awesome and it's taking everything I have to wait for my faux-ADHD to kick in so that I forget about this until it goes on steam sale for less than $20; I'm only even exercising this much restraint because mouse acceleration issues annoy me.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Preacher spoilers: is there any way to prevent him from buying it? Does he always get the black fever, and can it be cured? It took me for-loving-ever to recruit a doctor, so he just got sicker and sicker until Alan shot him. I need pep talks, goddammit! :argh:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Sheen Sheen posted:

Preacher spoilers: is there any way to prevent him from buying it? Does he always get the black fever, and can it be cured? It took me for-loving-ever to recruit a doctor, so he just got sicker and sicker until Alan shot him. I need pep talks, goddammit! :argh:

Nope, the preacher always dies. Not sure if you've encountered it yet but Alan can also get sick and whether or not he gets better seems to be little more than a coin toss.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Feeble posted:

Nope, the preacher always dies. Not sure if you've encountered it yet but Alan can also get sick and whether or not he gets better seems to be little more than a coin toss.

Yeah, that happened to me too. I took him to a shed and put him out of his misery. Alan can actually survive, but the infinitely more useful preacher is condemned to die? gently caress.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

On the bright side that's the last of the real story related deaths the game throws at you. From now on so long as you keep a moderate supply of medicine and never let your people start to starve you'll never have to deal with sickness again.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
This game is awesome but really wish it had co-op. Anyone know if 7 days to die is any good? http://7daystodie.com/

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Danith posted:

This game is awesome but really wish it had co-op. Anyone know if 7 days to die is any good? http://7daystodie.com/

If you like Minecraft and zombie stuff then you will probably like it. It's extremely rough around the edges but can still be fun building your own or fortifying a pre-existing building.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Ugh, seriously no word on the DLC release yet?

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Official word from the 5th was "It's not this week":

UndeadLabs posted:

We _hoped_ to get Breakdown to you on Halloween, because what an awesome date to launch a zombie game, right?

Except forcing a game to come out on a particular date just because it's cool is stupid.

Because we're on XBLA and Steam, we're not nailed to a particular date. Distribution is pushing a button, not lining up fleets of trucks or armies of disk-burning robots. So if we get offered extra time, there's no reason not to take it.

I completely failed to post here on the forum when I realized we were going to miss Halloween. I am very sorry. I've been focusing on getting ready for the PC official launch tomorrow, and I was out of the office for a day and a half last week. Please be pissed at me, not the Lab, because I knew last week (and posted on Twitter et al) and forgot to tell you here.

Now, what is the new date? That's a damned good question and I'm glad you asked. Now, if there are no more questions... okay, seriously. It's not this week, for several reasons. The PC launch is one, sure, but some of it is also that with no planned advertising, timing is a thing we have to care about, so we're working with Microsoft and Steam to pick a day that we can have all to ourselves. I have an internal target date on my calendar, but I haven't been given the okay to share it yet.

That is everything I know. Again, my apologies, y'all.

Emphasis on this week.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I'm a huge fan of SoD. I had no idea what it was when it came out for Steam. I've played through it three times now and consider it to be one of the best indie games I've ever played. If they need more time to work on the DLC, I won't complain. I'd prefer the end result be concentrated on higher quality and not a deadline.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I ended up buying this on Steam since I no longer have a 360 to play it on, and I LOVE every loving aspect of the game, it is exactly what I wanted Dead Rising to be, back 5ish years ago when it first came out. That said, I hope they fix the quirkiness of the game, like how animations (of which there are so many dealing with, say, if a zombie is going to be falling back against a stall in a bathroom) tend to stutter or happen and end with a zombie slumped the wrong way, with his body against air. And the PC version LOOKS as though it is being rendered at 720 and upsampled to your higher resolution. I can't tell if that's for certain what's going on, but I suspect it is from the quality of the graphics. Does anyone know if that's the case? I mean, the main menu has the look of that being the case, with it effectively being postage-stamped with black bars on all 4 sides. I hate to bring any of these complaints up when the game is so loving awesome and has so much potential, but I want it to kick as much rear end as it will in another few weeks or months right now! :P

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Feeble posted:

On the bright side that's the last of the real story related deaths the game throws at you. From now on so long as you keep a moderate supply of medicine and never let your people start to starve you'll never have to deal with sickness again.

Yeah, those plot deaths are essentially part of the game's extended tutorial, in that case teaching you about mercy kills and zombie infection. They also advance the game's overall plot a little bit, by giving you your first glimpse of 'Black Fever'.

Pisses me off that they chose that character to buy it, because you lose out on an awesome bonus that is never replaced.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I already broke down and bought it right before I left for work, so I played for like 5 minutes.

Already really like what I saw, already kind of annoyed at the mouse acceleration bug, annoyed that I can't rebind keys. What is this, the 90s?

Seriously though, it otherwise ran and handled really well. Looking forward to sinking some time into it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Apparently Breakdown releases on the 29th.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-15-state-of-decay-expansion-breakdown-out-29th-november

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

S.T.C.A. posted:

I already broke down and bought it right before I left for work, so I played for like 5 minutes.

Already really like what I saw, already kind of annoyed at the mouse acceleration bug, annoyed that I can't rebind keys. What is this, the 90s?

Seriously though, it otherwise ran and handled really well. Looking forward to sinking some time into it.

It has quite a bit of charm and apparently the developers are continuing to tweak and support more features. I hear key rebinding is coming next patch!

Just a word of warning, though, they recently nerfed the Snyder Trucking site, so the workshop it comes with has a random chance to be almost useless or actually useful. Which is pretty bullshit, because you can't upgrade it as its built in, so you have a random chance of getting hosed and losing an upgrade slot because you have to build a redundant workshop.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
That doctor you have to recruit early on to help Ed, shortly after he visited I got a mission to give him a hand - however, before I could reach his quest, it vanished (presumably he died). Does that lead to a doctor joining you eventually or did I gently caress it up? Hell, I've got a lot of quests vanishing before I can reach them, including the courthouse one in the bottom left - it was just so far away!

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

That doctor you have to recruit early on to help Ed, shortly after he visited I got a mission to give him a hand - however, before I could reach his quest, it vanished (presumably he died). Does that lead to a doctor joining you eventually or did I gently caress it up?

Short answers, slightly spoilery below.
No. He is an NPC and never joins you.
Yes, you hosed it up. He's probably dead now.

Wolpertinger posted:

Hell, I've got a lot of quests vanishing before I can reach them, including the courthouse one in the bottom left - it was just so far away!

That is one of the annoying things- almost every 'quest' is time sensitive, so you have to juggle helping people with scavenging and it is a bit of a pain to be doing every drat thing by yourself. In addition, the game clock runs at a reduced pace when you're not playing - and its really annoying to exit the game with your base full stocked and 100% Morale on Sunday and come back Friday with poo poo supplies and 20% Morale. A game should not feel like a job.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

LeJackal posted:

In addition, the game clock runs at a reduced pace when you're not playing - and its really annoying to exit the game with your base full stocked and 100% Morale on Sunday and come back Friday with poo poo supplies and 20% Morale. A game should not feel like a job.
loving serious? Where is this documented in-game? I have put about a dozen hours in so far and I didn't know that.

I was already pretty ambivalent about the way this game works, I kept getting a Tiny Towers vibe from it due to all the build times being listed as real minutes, but this just a whole different "gently caress you" entirety.

This game is a goddamn mess and I need to stop wasting my time on it.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Copper Vein posted:

loving serious? Where is this documented in-game? I have put about a dozen hours in so far and I didn't know that.

I was already pretty ambivalent about the way this game works, I kept getting a Tiny Towers vibe from it due to all the build times being listed as real minutes, but this just a whole different "gently caress you" entirety.

Well, it doesn't run 1:1 speed. The longer you're away the more time has to pass for more time to pass in the game. So, if you leave for a week only 2-3 days pass in the game or something.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Copper Vein posted:

You must be doing something wrong. I took like a 2 week vacation from the game, came back, and everything was fine. Better than fine, apparently one of my survivors had gotten a bit OCD in my time away and stocked up 150+ building materials and 50+ gasoline. Though I only had like 8 food. Morale was fine, and nobody was upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Opposite problem for me, I would play 2 hours at night, shutdown for the night with max morale, 100+ in every resource...etc, come back and play in the morning after 8~9 hours to find my morale at 20% or so, and low on resources (building materials usually every time) and they'd for some reason eat my stockpile of 100 snacks to boot. Once I discovered this "feature" i burned through the game story as fast as I could to finish it off because it sucks spending hours to restock everything just to have the game decide to "consume" poo poo on its own.

They really need a ON/OFF toggle in settings for the "simulation feature". UGH.

• Locked thread