Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Not as cool to most AI posters I'm sure (including me), but apparently Bigfoot 20 is the world's first electric monster truck. I stumbled on that unexpectedly yesterday but don't recall seeing it in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh nice, there was a thread here for monster trucks and I remember somebody posting about it as a work in progress at the time.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_cRqcbXAs4

Extremely cool electric racecar. This technology in its current state makes me very hopeful about the future of consumer level technology. But we NEED better battery tech right now, or this industry will stagnate. I am confident we will find a solution but I don't know how.

Though Chris Harris ends the video with a bit of an odd rant about automotive noise. The lack thereof in his electric car future 'worries him'. Tripe about engineering better sound from electric vehicles.

I couldn't care less about sound. This is the coolest loving racecar I have ever seen.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I couldn't care less about sound. This is the coolest loving racecar I have ever seen.

Being slow in 2 minutes, and dead in 10 sort of takes the "racecar" out of it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/11/11/019216/man-in-tesla-model-s-fire-explains-what-happened

One of the guys whose Tesla caught fire describes what happened. Apparently he ran into a trailer hitch before the fire.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So the Soul EV may have a 120 mile range.

Interesting to see how it ends up actually scoring on the EPA range test, and what real world numbers end up like... but 20% range over a Leaf would mean I could do my ~50mi round trip commute on a single charge and have plenty of headroom for A/C, speeding, and battery degradation.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

IOwnCalculus posted:

So the Soul EV may have a 120 mile range.

Interesting to see how it ends up actually scoring on the EPA range test, and what real world numbers end up like... but 20% range over a Leaf would mean I could do my ~50mi round trip commute on a single charge and have plenty of headroom for A/C, speeding, and battery degradation.

The audio alert below 12mph would probably annoy the ever loving poo poo out of me. Hopefully they put in a secret way to disable it.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Is that 120 miles at 80% battery, or 100% battery? My Leaf frequently tells me I have 115 miles when I charge to 100%. If that's 120 "usable" miles on 80% charge, that's a drat nice improvement. I just don't trust press releases not to spin things in the absolute best possible light.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Powercube posted:

The audio alert below 12mph would probably annoy the ever loving poo poo out of me. Hopefully they put in a secret way to disable it.

It really should be a button on the steering wheel similar to the horn, to use when approaching pedestrians or an intersection. Hopefully the Soul implementation does not give legislators lovely ideas, because that's a lovely idea.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

That's only 3 kWh more than the Leaf. The battery in that sucker must be insanely light to make up that difference.

Either that or they have an amazing improvement in aerodynamics and/or electronics efficiency.

Since I doubt all three of those things I'm guessing they're doing the super-optimistic press release crap.

Also, I really envy you guys and your '115 mile' Leaf range. I get really, really nervous planning anything over 45 miles and all I really do is cruise between 45 and 55 mph. My guess-o-meter is usually claiming I have double the range I actually do.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but drat the marketing people need to stop making claims the product can't back up. The charging station infrastructure build-out really needs improvement, too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Advent Horizon posted:

That's only 3 kWh more than the Leaf. The battery in that sucker must be insanely light to make up that difference.

Either that or they have an amazing improvement in aerodynamics and/or electronics efficiency.

Since I doubt all three of those things I'm guessing they're doing the super-optimistic press release crap.

Also, I really envy you guys and your '115 mile' Leaf range. I get really, really nervous planning anything over 45 miles and all I really do is cruise between 45 and 55 mph. My guess-o-meter is usually claiming I have double the range I actually do.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but drat the marketing people need to stop making claims the product can't back up. The charging station infrastructure build-out really needs improvement, too.

They need to sell a tow along battery expansion.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

It really should be a button on the steering wheel similar to the horn, to use when approaching pedestrians or an intersection. Hopefully the Soul implementation does not give legislators lovely ideas, because that's a lovely idea.

I will never let anyone modify my car to make it beep, ever. Even if it means I have to re-hook whatever beeper up periodically for inspection. Half the reason I bought a Tesla was no retarded beeping. Why not have a better compromise. We have to watch for pedestrians, why can't they loving look before crossing!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Powercube posted:

The one on the Leaf is just a quieter form of the reverse signal, I don't hear it unless I'm next to a box van with my windows down. I do notice people trying to figure where the noise is coming from when I pull up to a signal.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Maybe they can buy the rights or whatever is needed to make that noise the Fisker does once that company finally goes under (if it hasn't already?).

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

CharlesM posted:

Maybe they can buy the rights or whatever is needed to make that noise the Fisker does once that company finally goes under (if it hasn't already?).

I just want it to make the noise the Jetsons' car made. I'd even pay extra for that.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Powercube posted:

Some cars do this already. Doesn't the Prius emit kind of a droning sound from a speaker while in EV mode at low speed?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ijustam posted:

Some cars do this already. Doesn't the Prius emit kind of a droning sound from a speaker while in EV mode at low speed?

No, that's just the sound of a typical Prius driver.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

They need to sell a tow along battery expansion.

Tow a gas powered generator.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

How many people honestly believe Nissan will put the BladeGlider in to production in 3 years?

For reference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPaNiwmOEQ

Which is based off the DeltaWing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_INdbXMqsw

And the ZEOD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixvrHwYSnmI

I have no doubts that the materials can be done in mass production. It is just seems like such a strange design. Three seats is pretty nice, brings some additional convenience and just adds to the unique design. But this doesn't seem like something that would be approved by a corporation. I certainly wouldn't complain and would like to get a feel for a drive like that.

Also, just leased a '13 Leaf SL with the Premium package a month ago. I've never bothered with autostart in any of my 6 previous cars and smartphone control is so convenient in the cold. Considering that my work drive is only a few miles, I will probably spend more power warming it up then to actual drive on some days.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

No, that's just the sound of a typical Prius driver.

:rolleyes: Ziiiiing

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Nice wheels on that Leaf.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Powercube posted:

We have to watch for pedestrians, why can't they loving look before crossing!

As I recall, the initial no-noise complaints came from blind people.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Phuzun posted:

Also, just leased a '13 Leaf SL with the Premium package a month ago. I've never bothered with autostart in any of my 6 previous cars and smartphone control is so convenient in the cold. Considering that my work drive is only a few miles, I will probably spend more power warming it up then to actual drive on some days.

Very nice Leaf! :) I think one nice advantage of EVs is/will be convenience of a warm car on a short commute without using a ton of gasoline.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Even without prewarming the Leaf heater pumps hot air immediately.

It does appear to suck at melting interior ice, though. I may have to start leaving the dog at home so he doesn't frost up the windows all day.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The benefit of prewarming, at least with the Volt is doing it while on the grid instead of using the gas engine or stored battery capacity.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

So, this morning I pull up to the one charger in my building a few seconds before a Chevy Volt.

The owner proceeds to start yelling at me for taking his charger as apparently he is "down to nothing". Even though I could see that he had a full tank of gas, me asking him how much gas he had seemed to make him more upset.

The best part, my building's charger is super expensive due to it being the only game in town. It's probably cheaper for him to stock up on premium gas on cheap days than to charge at ripoff central every morning.... Then never leave until work hours finish.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I've pretty much quit reading the Volt forums. On one hand the opinion is that the Volt is the best thing ever, and they look down on all other EVs or ICEs. On the other hand they nitpick the Volt like it's the worst thing ever. Pretty much every post falls into one category or the other, and elicits a negative response.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Goober Peas posted:

I've pretty much quit reading the Volt forums. On one hand the opinion is that the Volt is the best thing ever, and they look down on all other EVs or ICEs. On the other hand they nitpick the Volt like it's the worst thing ever. Pretty much every post falls into one category or the other, and elicits a negative response.

Welcome! Please accept our congratulations on your first day on the internet!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

withak posted:

Welcome! Please accept our congratulations on your first day on the internet!

Its hard to :justpost: when it takes 3 days to charge.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Powercube posted:

So, this morning I pull up to the one charger in my building a few seconds before a Chevy Volt.

The owner proceeds to start yelling at me for taking his charger as apparently he is "down to nothing". Even though I could see that he had a full tank of gas, me asking him how much gas he had seemed to make him more upset.

The best part, my building's charger is super expensive due to it being the only game in town. It's probably cheaper for him to stock up on premium gas on cheap days than to charge at ripoff central every morning.... Then never leave until work hours finish.

You have a charger at work? What kind of hippie fever dream is this? They won't even let me plug in my 120V charger to an outside plug.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Hasters posted:

You have a charger at work? What kind of hippie fever dream is this? They won't even let me plug in my 120V charger to an outside plug.

Did they say it was a "fire hazard"?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Those of us who work for gov't get all kinds of fun rules. No charging because they can't be seen as giving anything away.

I just got out of a meeting with the Juneau Economic Development Council's Electric Vehicle Working Group. Looks like we'll have the most charging stations per capita, anywhere, within about 6 months. It also appears that we're starting to hit critical mass with EV adoption, as at least one person in the room has a Leaf on the boat, several of us already have EVs, two people have deposits on Teslas and pretty much everybody knows of someone looking to buy an EV soon.

They also asked to put my Leaf on display, and possibly give rides with it, at an Innovation Summit being held in January. It might be kind of cool to say I've had such-and-such famous (within Alaska, at least) people in my car. Or they'll just steal anything they can tear off...

We've got to be pretty close to highest per-capita Leaf ownership anywhere but we still don't have anybody in town who can service them. That's going to be something that the JDEC and Juneau Foundation attempt to rectify by paying for service training, the only problem is nobody wants to send away their mechanics for free training. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think it is possible that the Juneau Economic Development Council's Electric Vehicle Working Group is not a good sample to use in gauging interest in EV adoption.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
JED CEVWG sounds like a rapist

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Powercube posted:

Did they say it was a "fire hazard"?

No, they said it was because the company doesn't pay for other people's gas, so why should they pay for my electricity?

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Hasters posted:

No, they said it was because the company doesn't pay for other people's gas, so why should they pay for my electricity?

Oh, that excuse. Wonderful. Not as bad as the amount of "Fire hazard" excuses I've been given or the "we can't meter this outlet" poo poo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What is wrong with that excuse? :confused:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Hasters posted:

Yeah, I got that one at work too. I asked about all the people who charge their cell phones via company outlets, all the folks who utilize network resources for personal use via BYOD and was told it wasn't the same. :colbert:

At least they're putting in metered charging stations when they finish our new addition in 2015.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

withak posted:

What is wrong with that excuse? :confused:

The fridge of Diet Mountain Dew running 24/7 under my desk probably consumes more power than an EV being charged off of 120V five days a week, and yet most people won't look at you funny for bringing in a cube fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

IOwnCalculus posted:

The fridge of Diet Mountain Dew running 24/7 under my desk probably consumes more power than an EV being charged off of 120V five days a week, and yet most people won't look at you funny for bringing in a cube fridge.
I doubt it. Average (full size) fridge consumes less than 2kWh per day. A car charging on 120V can consume 1.5kWh per hour (on a 15A circuit breaker).

• Locked thread