Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Matrix Games has a beta tester/NDA agreement up for Distant Worlds Universe.
http://matrixgames.com/beta/cnda.asp?gid=515

If this was already posted, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

tuluk posted:

Matrix Games has a beta tester/NDA agreement up for Distant Worlds Universe.
http://matrixgames.com/beta/cnda.asp?gid=515

If this was already posted, sorry.

Is Distant Worlds Universe going to be another game or an expansion? Or are they just referring to the IP ?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

No idea at all.
I was browsing their website and found it under Betas.
It may be a new expansion, it may be a massive all-in-one pack, it may be distant worlds 2.
Gonna sign up for the beta, hope they accept me.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 17, 2013

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
They have said they were planning on another expansion with a focus on modding.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So other than races, are there any mods that add content? The game slows down to horrid crawl so 2x becomes 1x and so forth. I can see this being the fault of all those drat private ships flying around my empire. I need a way to tell them to be cool or maybe figure out why it is taking 600 of them to do the job.

Before anyone asks, my machine is a beast. It was on a 700 star 8x8. And then a 400 star 8x8.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You have all the expansions, yes? The latest one revamped the engine to not be a giant piece of poo poo at times.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You have all the expansions, yes? The latest one revamped the engine to not be a giant piece of poo poo at times.

I knew I left something out. Yes, I purchased all the expansions. No mods at this time. Fully updated.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
The last expansion feels like it really made the late game really brutal on pc's compared to what it used to be. I wonder if the way they changed the resource system has anything to do with it?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

My experience is the exact opposite, the last expansion made it run like a peach even when things are full up. I never increase the speed though, even in the early game.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Reminds me of the pre-FA SupCom where naval AI was a memory leak that would slow the game's timescale over the course of a skirmish. That's kind of what you're having, right?

Never had it myself but I've also never used the time compression in this surprisingly enough.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you make a civilian freighter too large will they not purchase it at all? I am experimenting with some 8k small/16k medium/ 24k large cargo bays and they arn't being retrofitted into or purchased.

Thoughts?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Do they have the money? Do YOU have the resources to build them? Do the previous designs still exist to use?(They think they're being sensible and saving money, but they ain't.) Is auto-design on?(They'll recreate the crappy designs, too.)

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay, so I'm playing a 700 star, 10 empire + pirates on an 8x8.

I am wiped out an empire through horrible warmongering and have expanded to 54 colonies. something like 240 mining and gas mining stations.

I have in the vicinity of 800 freighters and passenger ships. The game is imploding.

It is literally making GBS threads the bed. It gets slower and slower.

Advice? The ships eventually upgraded to my new 8k/16k/24k designs with the best engines/thrusters etc. Am I horribly missing something? Their maintenance costs are already up near 1.1k/each for the biggest ones.

More smaller ones do not appear to be the solution. I just cannot determine why its going so slow. My computer has the horsepower, it is just running like an rear end sandwich.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
What expansions? Again, the latest one has a new engine that runs a bit better. Sucks if you don't have it though because you need EVERY expansion to get it.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

What expansions? Again, the latest one has a new engine that runs a bit better. Sucks if you don't have it though because you need EVERY expansion to get it.

I have everything. Fully updated.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Huh. I haven't played since a couple weeks after the last expansion so I'm not completely up-to-date. Possibly start a new huge game with lots of AI and just run it and see if it starts going downhill. It may be your game or it may be THE game. I know it never ran great even in smaller games pre-Shadows.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

It might best best to post on the official forums for tech support. Turning down the detail level and zooming in helped me out to a point.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bouchacha posted:

It might best best to post on the official forums for tech support. Turning down the detail level and zooming in helped me out to a point.

I have contacted their tech support. Hopefully they can help. The game grows on you. Eventhough some things could be different/better, it is still fun.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I'm almost definitely going to be getting this game, and I just heard about Distant Worlds Extended. Is it a good mod for a first playthrough or should I master the main game first?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Use it. It is largely what takes this game from Great 4x to Greatest 4x.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Frog Assassin posted:

Use it. It is largely what takes this game from Great 4x to Greatest 4x.

Other than adding races what does DWE do? I didn't notice anything.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Nothing at all, which is precisely why it's so good. It just adds 16 races that fit into the theme of the game very well (no klingons/wookies/na'vi/insert sci-fi franchise race), with nice art for the new races and replacement art for the old ones. They're well-balanced and being able to pile all of them into a game with all of the vanilla races means you can have a gigantic game going.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

There's a sound replacement mod that I really like too. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3050750&mpage=1&key=%EF%BF%BD
Replacing some of the more jarring sounds with different ones. I only really needed it because I let the game run while I was sleeping, and the original sounds kept waking me up.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
Seconding the sound replacement mod. I also used the graphics enhancement mod the last time I played and it really made ships and weapon effects look a lot better.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm getting a 'file not found' error on the the Gloom mod. Is it toast?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Travic posted:

I'm getting a 'file not found' error on the the Gloom mod. Is it toast?

Did you install it properly? I wasnt paying attention when I installed Extended and botched everything up pretty good.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Sorry I meant when I went to download it. It appears to have disappeared off of Filefront.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So I caved and finally bought the overpriced game, and man was it worth it. I mean, I absolutely hate that I paid as much as I did for the game+expansions, but it's a really, really fun game, guys. It's just a loving shame that Matrix's pricing policies has all but killed any community for these games, because the mods for Distant Worlds could be amazing. It's basically MoO3 (done right) with a dash of the EU series.

I've been playing as a human corporatocracy (SolCo) and have finally broken into the larger galactic scene after a terrible decade long war against the loving pirates. I'm left wondering if I should go a friendly sci-fi corporation route (ala KSR's Praxis company) or full on Bain Capital, invade foreign worlds, capture/enslave the populace, and continue to push towards the galaxy's center. I'm probably setting myself up a ton of revolutions, though. I already get ones right off the bat after founding new colonies thanks to this government style!

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Arggh, some of you people are reall not helping me hold off this, Hopefuly it will go on at least some kind of sale over christmas so I can pick it up and afford to eat. Has it ever been on sale before?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yes. Last Christmas you could get the base game and first two expansions for a buy-2-get-1-free amount of dealage.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Even then I'd still hold off on buying the game because gently caress Matrix, man.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

HiKaizer posted:

There is a thread for Stardrive, albeit now locked, which has a meltdown in it so if you want to know more check the last few pages of that. I would like more of the hints and stories, I'm still struggling to get the hang of this so reading other people's experiences helps me.

poo poo I need to track that down, I wondered where that thread had gone and my feelings towards StarDrive are more generous than most goons' seem to be. I'm very saddened if he did indeed turn out to be the douche some people predicted :(

e; found it! You guys are right. Why does every sci-fi 4X gently caress up or have Matrix pricing?

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 12, 2013

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Mister Adequate posted:

poo poo I need to track that down, I wondered where that thread had gone and my feelings towards StarDrive are more generous than most goons' seem to be. I'm very saddened if he did indeed turn out to be the douche some people predicted :(

e; found it! You guys are right. Why does every sci-fi 4X gently caress up or have Matrix pricing?

Star Ruler 2 looks fantastic so far, and the devs (or at least Firgof) are demonstrably nice dudes, and SR1 was reasonably priced!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Clearly this game doesn't want SolCo to prosper because my scientists keep having critical failures in their research. :argh:

edit: Never use the auto refit suggestion. It refits everything. In your entire empire. At the same loving time.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 12, 2013

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Adequate posted:

I don't know I had a lot more fun with Star Drive than Star Ruler and Distant Worlds or any other recent space 4x. I think part of the problem is that everyone wants something different from their 4x games, I just want a new Spaceward Ho!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Reason posted:

Spaceward Ho!

I think they released a slightly updated version of this on iOS.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Lprsti99 posted:

Star Ruler 2 looks fantastic so far, and the devs (or at least Firgof) are demonstrably nice dudes, and SR1 was reasonably priced!

True, SR1 was good times and the thread for 2 does look very promising, so we might have something there!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Distant Worlds is on sale again.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Oh dear, it's finally time for me to pick this up. Should I just get/play everything at once or should I start with an older version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

a!n posted:

Oh dear, it's finally time for me to pick this up. Should I just get/play everything at once or should I start with an older version?

Not only is Distant Worlds basically a Paradox-alike in its real-time gameplay, it is also a Paradox-alike in that you want to get every expansion if at all possible.

• Locked thread