Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

clutchpuck posted:

Did 6000 miles on one in June. I took the flyscreen off mid-trip because I didn't like the way it buffeted my helmet... so yeah not bad, not sure what the fuss would be really.

I have a HUGE torso. It tends to act like a giant sail in the wind. On the multistrada my two options were to ride without a screen which meant I had to use my arms to resist my torso being pushed backwards, or ride with a screen that resulted in lots of buffeting. It seems like the s3 may have enough forward lean that I can balance gravity and wind blast against each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I've done 600 mile days on my S3. I have the little bikini fairing and visor. After the first day I was wrecked, but that was on a bike overloaded with luggage so I couldn't move around much and in well over 100F heat. Later days with a break in the temp and less time in the saddle were better, but still unpleasant.

The truncated tail and the luggage hassle (you can't hang bags off the side of a Speed Triple pillion unless you swap out the exhaust) I thought was the dealbreaker for taking multiday trips on it. Clutchpuck's Buell has hard bags.

Regardless, if you spend a lot of time on the highway well north of posted limits, it will tire you out. It's just not what the bikes are made for. I did (part of) the same route on my sport-tourer Futura, in near-freezing rain, and wasn't any less comfortable than if I'd popped down to the corner grocery store.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KodiakRS posted:

I have a HUGE torso. It tends to act like a giant sail in the wind. On the multistrada my two options were to ride without a screen which meant I had to use my arms to resist my torso being pushed backwards, or ride with a screen that resulted in lots of buffeting. It seems like the s3 may have enough forward lean that I can balance gravity and wind blast against each other.

I've done 800 mile days on a DRZ400SM, pretty close to that on an assortment of other nakeds, and I find the touring bike "Just enough wind to constantly bobble your head around" far more annoying that riding on a naked bike. A bit of forward lean is critical though - when you sit on the bike at a stop it should just barely feel like you're leaning too far forward. Also high 5 big torso buddies.

You can run saddlebags on a S3, just get a standoff for your bags from the exhaust if you're running soft bags. I'm currently rigging up a set of bag mounts for my Daytona 675.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-bags-connection-blaze-sport-saddlebag-system-triumph-speed-triple-11

Not sure if I trust this setup due to it's proximity to the exhaust but it looks like it'd be enough to throw a few pairs of underwear and a t-shirt into. If I wanted something for serious long distance riding I'd get an RT or FJR. This is more of a "Can I survive the ride to the next set of twisties" deal.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Looks like you could cargo net a duffel bag to the pillion for a lot more cheaper.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Holy poo poo you guys. I changed the chain and sprockets on my 96 cbr 600 and it feels like a whole new bike. This being my first bike, I hadn't realized how bad the chain felt since I bought it. I had recognized it getting worse recently and decided it needed a new chain, but now that I've felt what a good chain feels like, I'm terrified that I was riding on the other one. I was doing proper chain maintenance, but it was just completely worn out when I got it. The fact that it wasn't stretched to the limit tricked me into thinking it was in alright shape.

That said, WOW! The bike feels amazing! Less severe engine braking, better on/off throttle response, fewer vibrations, fewer clicking sounds. I can't tell whether the smaller front sprocket has made the bike accelerate faster, because it feels so much better all around. The old chain must have had a bunch of drag on the drive train. It just leaps forward now. I can't separate the improvement from the regearing and the new chain. I cleaned out a huge amount of dried grease gunk out from under the front sprocket cover.

If you at all think your chain needs replacing, do it! It was pretty straightforward to do, only took me a couple of hours and I had never done it before.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

clutchpuck posted:

You don't have to pick one forever.

Did 6000 miles on one in June. I took the flyscreen off mid-trip because I didn't like the way it buffeted my helmet... so yeah not bad, not sure what the fuss would be really.

The terrible seat on the Street Triple was a way worse trip impediment than a bit of wind. After about an hour, all the foam compacts down and the square battery box cutout is right on your rear end.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KodiakRS posted:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-bags-connection-blaze-sport-saddlebag-system-triumph-speed-triple-11

Not sure if I trust this setup due to it's proximity to the exhaust but it looks like it'd be enough to throw a few pairs of underwear and a t-shirt into. If I wanted something for serious long distance riding I'd get an RT or FJR. This is more of a "Can I survive the ride to the next set of twisties" deal.

I did a 750ish mile day on my S3 when I first bought it, Salt Lake City to Oakland over the Sonora Pass, and the thing that murdered me was the seat to footpeg ratio. The Daytona 675 actually has a more neutral knee position for me then the S3. It's weird - I think it has to do with the fact that the Daytona has a very hard seat and the S3 has a really soft one.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

KodiakRS posted:

I've seen that setup in person, I wasn't impressed with the quality and the result is really wide. Here's what I ran with:

You can see it didn't leave much room for me to move around much.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've been fighting with the "what bike I need" dilemma since I got rid of my F4i (about 6 years ago). Since then I've almost bought a CBR1k, Super Duke R, GSXR750, Ninja 650 and now I really want an FZ09.

In the interim I've been riding my GS700 which isn't good for much except never dying. One of these days I'll quit suffering and buy a new one already.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Everyone has this problem.

Yeah... I have a 690SMC but really want need a Dyna Wide-Glide for cruising two-up, a Super Tenere or 990Adv for camping out, and a CBR1000 to round out my everyday needs and requirements :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Yeah... I have a 690SMC but really want need a Dyna Wide-Glide for cruising two-up, a Super Tenere or 990Adv for camping out, and a CBR1000 to round out my everyday needs and requirements :v:

Buell Ulysses solves all of these problems! Poorly

I would love a big rear end Harley or Goldwing for touring two up. I would love more if I could convince my girlfriend to ride her own bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I don't really want any new bikes. I'm quite happy with my Daytona 675, that will shortly get modded to gently caress for commute/touring duty, and the GSX-R trackbike. Frankly, the 675 is as good across the board as my 690SMC was, just in different ways, ways that don't make me ride wheelies every block, etc. I think I'm going throw some dollars at the 675, see what I can make out of it, put hardbags on it, repaint it, get it all good and ready to go.

With the 999 in the garage I don't really want another high maintenance bike.

The GSX-R trackbike is a "boring" platform, but it's reliable, there's loads of spares for it, and really, it's about riding with your friends on the track more than the bike you're on.

I'd still love to do an assortment of additional projects, but those will come when they come. Maybe a flat-tracker or something.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

I would love a big rear end Harley or Goldwing for touring two up. I would love more if I could convince my girlfriend to ride her own bike.
Do NOT allow your girlfriend to test out the pillion seat on the goldwing unless you are prepared to buy one.

Z3n posted:

I don't really want any new bikes. I'm quite happy with my Daytona 675, that will shortly get modded to gently caress for commute/touring duty, and the GSX-R trackbike.

I've heard that the 675 has a surprising amount of leg room from a lot of people. I've also heard that it stretches out your torso like a medieval torture rack. Let us know if you end up changing the clipons somehow.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Agreed on both points. My girlfriend is obsessed with the idea of motorcycling adventures thanks to Long Way Round/Ewan "Whiny Wanker" MacGregor, and had a blast the few times I've taken her out. All good fun for her, but goddamn I did not like how the 690 handles two-up. Too much weight up high; I felt like I was falling over the whole time and the seat angle put all of her terrified bearhug weight squarely on my wrists. I suppose I just need more experience with a passenger, but I have been eagerly suggesting the MSF to her and her friend who wants to do it.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

I could go for a speed triple with some additional wind protection. Actually, I wonder how bad a few hundred miles of super slab would really be on a naked bike. I've never tried it.

I did about 800 miles one day on a Street Triple, state highways the first 500 miles, which are basically 2 lane super slabs, still 75 MPH straight shots. It's less fun than on a bike with proper wind protection, but it's not awful.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

KodiakRS posted:

Do NOT allow your girlfriend to test out the pillion seat on the goldwing unless you are prepared to buy one.

Too late. We rented a Goldwing for a weekend over the summer. We got the Ulysses because I can take her anywhere in town she would need to go, but in practice it's way too uncomfortable / unstable for more than 15 or 20 miles at a stretch. I have the feeling she'd balk at the notion of getting a Uly + a Wing, given that we have a single source of income and parking in our building is $200/spot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KodiakRS posted:

I've heard that the 675 has a surprising amount of leg room from a lot of people. I've also heard that it stretches out your torso like a medieval torture rack. Let us know if you end up changing the clipons somehow.

I've had 2 of them. Both have had a handlebar kit made by yours truely installed...there should be some pics in my thread?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

I've had 2 of them. Both have had a handlebar kit made by yours truely installed...there should be some pics in my thread?

I'm not familiar enough with the 675/Street Triple to know this but wouldn't you be better off just getting a street triple instead of DIY handlebars on the 675? I thought they were fairly similar and the Triple seems more commuter/comfort suited.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm not familiar enough with the 675/Street Triple to know this but wouldn't you be better off just getting a street triple instead of DIY handlebars on the 675? I thought they were fairly similar and the Triple seems more commuter/comfort suited.

Street triples are more expensive, lower spec suspension, less powerful, and I don't like the looks as much. The daytonas are now old enough that you can find them for cheap with salvage titles and stuff.

The triples on the daytona have holes in the middle of them so putting a set of bars on is really easy - just ground down some half inch aluminum to fit in the back of it, drilled a hole through the middle of it, machined flat a piece that sits on the top. Handlebar, re-route the cables, longer brake line, and you're good to go.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

The triples on the daytona have holes in the middle of them so putting a set of bars on is really easy - just ground down some half inch aluminum to fit in the back of it, drilled a hole through the middle of it, machined flat a piece that sits on the top. Handlebar, re-route the cables, longer brake line, and you're good to go.
Like I understand all those words... Just not in that order. You got a pic of this setup? It's sounds pretty interesting.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I was at the movies yesterday and after it was over I went back to my bike (CBR500R, parked on the sidewalk where all the other bikes park, I was alone there) and put my gear down on it and walked away to finish my $5.50 soda and text before I got on. I was about 20-30 feet away, in eyesight of it, and some guy and his GF go walking by and I hear him go "I loving hate these kind of bikes, they look like poo poo" and he was talking more about it and gesturing towards it as they walked by. :smith:

Everyone has their opinions, but I thought it was kind of harsh and even though I'm not a Harley man I wouldn't say that about someones bike, much less in front of them.

When I went to get on these two kids under 10 and their mother walked by, and one of them said "Is that a ninja??" and before I could even respond, his brother goes "No! That's a Honda, <name>!" and gives him a funny look. :haw:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schroeder91 posted:

some guy and his GF go walking by and I hear him go "I loving hate these kind of bikes, they look like poo poo" and he was talking more about it and gesturing towards it as they walked by. :smith:

If it makes you feel any better, I'd give 5:1 odds that he doesn't actually own any kind of bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I'd give 5:1 odds that he doesn't actually own any kind of bike.

That low? More like 100:1.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
He then went off to loudly proclaim that "Scarlett Johansson is way prettier than Natalie Portman" and went on to say "wouldn't kick Natalie out of bed if Scarlett wasn't an option though".

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Schroeder91 posted:

Everyone has their opinions, but I thought it was kind of harsh and even though I'm not a Harley man I wouldn't say that about someones bike, much less in front of them.
I would on the internet!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Welp, it's gonna be an expensive spring for the Bandit. New tires needed, plus I just hit 48,000 KM, so a major service needed anyway.

At least I got a real person coming to look at the Honda this weekend, so if I can sell that, it'll pay for the Bandit's work.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Coredump posted:

Like I understand all those words... Just not in that order. You got a pic of this setup? It's sounds pretty interesting.

Here it is from the rider's point of view (note longer brake lines, flipped routing on the throttle cables - I'm also using a longer clutch line as well)

Here's the top blocks of aluminum:

And here's the bottom ones:

Someday I might powdercoat everything black, and round off the edges, and clean up the assembly in general, but it works fine as it is so...meh. Here's the bike as a whole - windshield is cut down a few inches to clear.

This bike is due for a lot of upgrades soon :)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 12, 2013

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
LWR is amazing. Watch it.

Also my Remus came in today. Just in time for the temp to drop 30 degrees. This is ok because winter operation "exhaust/tires/and accessories" is GO, MOTHERFUCKERS!

Seriously though, I am super stoked about the exhaust.

Z3n posted:

This bike is due for a lot of upgrades soon :)

What's wrong with the back of your bike? Looks weird.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 12, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Schroeder91 posted:

I was at the movies yesterday and after it was over I went back to my bike (CBR500R, parked on the sidewalk where all the other bikes park, I was alone there) and put my gear down on it and walked away to finish my $5.50 soda and text before I got on. I was about 20-30 feet away, in eyesight of it, and some guy and his GF go walking by and I hear him go "I loving hate these kind of bikes, they look like poo poo" and he was talking more about it and gesturing towards it as they walked by. :smith:

When I went to get on these two kids under 10 and their mother walked by, and one of them said "Is that a ninja??" and before I could even respond, his brother goes "No! That's a Honda, <name>!" and gives him a funny look. :haw:

Did the kids give you a lecture on how to roll the throttle?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My boss asked me to run an errand today on my bike, so I did. Coming back my rear tyre explosively decompressed about a kilometer from work. Old puncture repair from god knows when that decided to stop being a repair. Hooray!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

PadreScout posted:

LWR is amazing. Watch it.

Also my Remus came in today. Just in time for the temp to drop 30 degrees. This is ok because winter operation "exhaust/tires/and accessories" is GO, MOTHERFUCKERS!

Seriously though, I am super stoked about the exhaust.

What's wrong with the back of your bike? Looks weird.

I dunno...is the back of the compressor just barely showing through the gap between the taillight and the exhaust?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Oh, that's what it is (bigger screen at home) , yeah, it's the compressor kind of blending in with your license plate. Looked weird on my laptop screen.

Nice loving Daytona, BTW. How comfortable is it with the rear-set controls and the raised bars?

Edit: Ah, just looked again, figured the other thing out. The exhaust is different on Daytonas compared to my Street as well, so it's not "weird" so much as I'm a loving idiot. Just ignore me.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 12, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

PadreScout posted:

Oh, that's what it is (bigger screen at home) , yeah, it's the compressor kind of blending in with your license plate. Looked weird on my laptop screen.

Nice loving Daytona, BTW. How comfortable is it with the rear-set controls and the raised bars?

Edit: Ah, just looked again, figured the other thing out. The exhaust is different on Daytonas compared to my Street as well, so it's not "weird" so much as I'm a loving idiot. Just ignore me.

It's pretty fantastic. I could maybe use another inch or so of footpeg down and forward, but that's a problem that can be solved with some time and energy and a milling machine.

I've got some hardbags for it that I need to weld up mounts for, I need to sand down all the fairings, bondo an extra tank I have, get it all painted, powdercoat the rims blue, get some custom decals made for it, and then I'll do all that noise and probably just say gently caress it and sell it cause I'm dumb like that.

I like the S3 exhaust but it makes the bike a lot wider if you want to run hardbags, the neat thing about making bag mounts for the bike is that I can tuck them in really tight with the undertail exhaust.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
A bit unrelated - but I figure you're the guy that'd know - bolts on the Triumph- all metric, yeah? I need to get a set of sockets for wrenching on the machine and I've been tricked in the past by certain loving Japanese cars that think it's loving HILARIOUS to mix metric and standard bolts.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

PadreScout posted:

A bit unrelated - but I figure you're the guy that'd know - bolts on the Triumph- all metric, yeah? I need to get a set of sockets for wrenching on the machine and I've been tricked in the past by certain loving Japanese cars that think it's loving HILARIOUS to mix metric and standard bolts.

Call the new 24-hour Triumph customer service number and ask (in the middle of the night) and give up a trip report.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

PadreScout posted:

Welcome to working on American cars for the last 30 years.

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 13, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PadreScout posted:

Which Japanese car have you encountered that used both metric and imperial? I'm genuinely curious because this doesn't sound possible unless it's something truly ancient like an FJ40 or s800 or something.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

PadreScout posted:

Yeah, there might be a few annoying torx bits in there too. Order a set of 3/8ths inch drive torx bits, plus a set of 1/8th inch security torx bits. And some allen keys, so pick up an assortment of the hand type for valve covers.

For 12 bucks, prime, I'd probably buy this:
http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-100-Piece-Security-Bits-Storage/dp/B000O5XDOG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384301463&sr=8-2&keywords=security+torx
and this:
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-753-Piece-Long-Metric/dp/B000NIFJQE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384301510&sr=8-2&keywords=allen+keys
and something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10071A-...torx+bit+socket

That should cover most of it. I think it's a 27mm for the rear axle.

Pick up one of these for the front axle:
http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0397-Chrome-Axle/dp/B009D3FPSM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384301622&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+axle+tool

38mm socket if you're planning on pulling the triples.

I think those are all the oddball ones.

I don't know if I should be sad or happy that I can remember all of that off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Which Japanese car have you encountered that used both metric and imperial? I'm genuinely curious because this doesn't sound possible unless it's something truly ancient like an FJ40 or s800 or something.

It was on a Honda Accord. Which apparently was some rear end in a top hat POs fault. Internet says they're all metric. So gently caress my life, it was 15 years ago so .... yup.

Good call on calling Triumph. I called that (888) 283-5288 number on their website.

It was .. an interesting examination of customer service training.

Spoke to one guy. He put me on hold, then 2 minutes later wanted to tell me all the aftermarket exhaust systems that would fit. So I corrected him: "Nononono, I'm doing the exhaust specifically, but in general I'll need a socket set. Is it safe to just get metric or will I also need a set of standard sockets?" Right, so corrected he comes back another 2 minutes later "Exactly which bolt is it you need to know the size of?" So I correct him a second time, he puts me on hold another couple minutes and a new person answers the phone "What is the VIN of your Triple? There are a lot of them and we want to give you as specific an answer as we can." LOL, which immediately gave me this mental picture of some balding man in a warehouse somewhere with a half assembled motorcycle before him and TWO plastic bins of bolts, one labeled "metric", one labeled "standard", and he thoughtfully stares at them as he decides which one he will choose for THAT specific motorcycle. I told them I have no idea what the VIN is, it's outside under a tarp and I'd prefer not wander out to check. So they put me on hold briefly this time and came back with " Yup, all the bolts are metric." Which is what I suspected, but like I said, I've had problems with this in the past so I'm not bothered to waste a little time making drat certain.

Final report - The Triumph help line are nice people, they were very polite, and, after a little clarification did help me out. B- would call again but will first brainstorm the most precise language I can muster to clearly articulate my request and avoid confusion.