Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Senjuro posted:

It's a shame they felt they had involve Osborn when they could have used the very much alive Doc Ock and avoided messing up the story from the first page. Ock was arguably the real arch nemesis in USM.

You mean besides the fact that Ock worked from Norman from the very beginning, tried to kill Mary Jane, and completly hosed up peter's best friends mind and made him into a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Honestly I feel like the reason why DoSM is held up so well today is because of how bad 616 Peter's death was handled in #700. It was around that time when I started noticing people posting images from Ultimate Fallout and DoSM showing how killing Peter "should be done".

Still I feel like Miles has done a great job as Peter's replacement and it would be a shame to have Peter or Osborn come back (which is not likely considering the Ultimate Line is probably going to perish)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Putting aside the still-unfounded rumors of the line completely ending, I think it's pretty clear that Osborn wasn't dead at the end of Death of Spider-man and that someday Miles will have to slay the dragon Peter couldn't. It's pretty much the most fitting thing for a successor to do.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

Putting aside the still-unfounded rumors of the line completely ending, I think it's pretty clear that Osborn wasn't dead at the end of Death of Spider-man and that someday Miles will have to slay the dragon Peter couldn't. It's pretty much the most fitting thing for a successor to do.

I think Venom can and has filled that role much better

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Lurdiak posted:

How was it made clear? Osborn smiling at the end only shows he lived long enough to know that Peter had died. I don't remember any moment afterwards that made it clear that he was still alive after his final battle with Peter.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
I don't see how people think Miles and Peter are the same character though? They seem pretty different to me, while still both fitting into that "awkward nerdy-teen" archetype.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I don't see how people think Miles and Peter are the same character though? They seem pretty different to me, while still both fitting into that "awkward nerdy-teen" archetype.

Possibly because they didn't actually read Miles' stories.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mister Roboto posted:

Possibly because they didn't actually read Miles' stories.

Yes its a nefarious scheme you have cracked the code good job.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yes its a nefarious scheme you have cracked the code good job.

It wouldn't be the first time someone has expressed strong opinions on this forum about something they never actually read/watched.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

DFu4ever posted:

It wouldn't be the first time someone has expressed strong opinions on this forum about something they never actually read/watched.

In comic book discussion? I find that suggestion highly improbable.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

SirDan3k posted:

That's about as likely as someone continuing to buy a book they say is poo poo!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

SirDan3k posted:

I've never heard of anyone going into a comic store and complaining loudly and proudly about something that they haven't read!

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Myrddin Emrys posted:

It's especially noticeable when they're in Spidey mode. I get that quipping in battle is Spider-Man's thing but it is supposed to be a different person under the mask now, shouldn't he have a voice of his own? Hell, at least a different type of humor.

edit: I'd hate to sound like I'm giving any sort of praise to Dan Slott but would anyone have any problem telling Peter and Spock apart by dialogue alone? I think it would be pretty difficult a lot of the time in USM.

(And yes, I've read every single issue of USM and I don't hate the Miles stories, I just think Bendis missed the opportunity to make them better or at the very least different)

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 12, 2013

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Bendis worked in a JFK conspiracy theory in a comic released only a week and a couple days from the annual date of the assasination.

Good job, Bendis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_11110#Conspiracy_theory

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hahahahahaha, it's a loving "End the Fed" conspiracy theory, too. What a dingleberry.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
loving goldbugs.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I hadn't read the issue before I read you guys' comments, so I expected this ridiculous conspiracy theory rant...but it was just a teacher asking a question. My HS history class teacher did the same sort of topical thing whenever an anniversary came by. Nothing weird there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mister Roboto posted:

I hadn't read the issue before I read you guys' comments, so I expected this ridiculous conspiracy theory rant...but it was just a teacher asking a question. My HS history class teacher did the same sort of topical thing whenever an anniversary came by. Nothing weird there.

He was just asking questions?????

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I need to read more ultimate comics spider-man. This is a treat.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

coconono posted:

You should read it all.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

coconono posted:

This is always good advice. Between its two incarnations, Ultimate Spider-Man has been consistently enjoyable comic for over a decade.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I love that Miles still gets people telling him that dressing up like Spider-Man is in bad taste.

J-Man X
Aug 18, 2004

Boxing Champion
I had to count the pages to make sure I wasn't being shortchanged. Blah blah decompression and all, but that was one really quick read. A really quick, good read. I run into this problem a lot with Ultimate Spider-Man.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Spider-Woman's talk with the Ultimates at the beginning was hilarious. Especially Hawkeye and Thor eating Chinese food through it while Tony is geeking out about talking to a clone.

Cap's "You were... bit by a spider?" Is so stupidly simplistic I can't help but laugh at how that's probably the correct way to think in the marvel universe. Spider themed hero? Bit by spider.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
If Cataclysm really destroys the Ultimate Universe and we lose on out all this awesome set up in UCSM, I am going to be upset.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Soonmot posted:

If Cataclysm really destroys the Ultimate Universe and we lose on out all this awesome set up in UCSM, I am going to be upset.

We will find out soon as the solicitations for the final issue come out today, so sometime soon they will tell us the future plans.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

We will find out soon as the solicitations for the final issue come out today, so sometime soon they will tell us the future plans.
Here is the solicitation, I bet:

"SOLICITATION WITHHELD UNTIL RELEASE OF CATACLYSM #WHATEVER"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
There's no way the Ultimate Universe will be destroyed. I could see them canceling the other two Ultimate books and just having the only Ultimate title be USM, but Bendis has been setting up too much stuff to just wipe the slate, and those plot threads wouldn't just integrate neatly into 616 like some people theorize the USM cast is headed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Here is the solicitation, I bet:

"SOLICITATION WITHHELD UNTIL RELEASE OF CATACLYSM #WHATEVER"

Yeah but just the existence of those would prove that the Universe remains.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Looking at the the solicitations for February now...I really hope the Spider-Man character on the cover of New Warriors #1 isn't Miles, but I can't think of who else it could be. Also, Cataclysm #5 is the only issue solicited.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

Looking at the the solicitations for February now...I really hope the Spider-Man character on the cover of New Warriors #1 isn't Miles, but I can't think of who else it could be.

Scarlet Spider

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

bobkatt013 posted:

Scarlet Spider

Ah, gotcha. I haven't followed any 616 Spider-Man for a long time, so I didn't think of that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

Ah, gotcha. I haven't followed any 616 Spider-Man for a long time, so I didn't think of that.

You should read Scarlet Spider. It is really good.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Soonmot posted:

It's almost as if the Universe won't be ending because there's still lots of storylines to resolve!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I doubt the universe is ending but it won't be because "unresolved plotlines!:ohdear:".

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I doubt the universe is ending but it won't be because "unresolved plotlines!:ohdear:".

If Bendis isn't done with his storylines the book and universe ain't ending.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waterhaul posted:

If Bendis isn't done with his storylines the book and universe ain't ending.

USM remains unscathed everything else is moved to digital only? Or reshuffle the other title to a series of minis of events (kinda like the hawkeye mini at the start)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

USM remains unscathed everything else is moved to digital only? Or reshuffle the other title to a series of minis of events (kinda like the hawkeye mini at the start)

But you don't need to end the universe to do that.

Abraham Lincoln
Feb 12, 2008
If you are a racist I will attack you with the North

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think all ultimate titles will move to digital only. Bendis recently posted about how monthly schedules work well for print but consumers demand differently for digital. My best guess is a USM digital only title that comes out weekly, maybe 8 pages a week.

If it's digital only, no need for Marvel to solicit it in previews.

Less clear whether uxm and ultimate s continue as stand along digital titles or as a broader ultimate universe title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Earth gets destroyed; Miles, Ganke, Gwen and whoever hop on a ship and become the Ultimate GotG

• Locked thread