Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
This series is seriously amazing. I think I am destined to like the non-standard Gundam series the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sonata Mused posted:

This series is Zaku amazing. I think I am destined to like the non-standard Gundam series the best.

I am really just unbelievably glad how well this is turning out. After Destiny, 00 season 2, 00 movie and AGE I was really beginning to worry that Sunrise was getting content with just putting out the lovely lowest common denominator when it came to Gundam.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I really hope Yuuki upgrades to like an Amazing Sazabi or Amazing Sinanju cause the dude is totally a Char and I'm just waiting for him to get a mask or goggles of some sort. Maybe he could even having like a transitional Hiyaku Shiki or Delta Gundam, just for shits and giggles. Too bad there is no HG of the Sinanju Stein cause that is totally like the epitome of a badguy upgrade mobile suit.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Faltion posted:

I really hope Yuuki upgrades to like an Amazing Sazabi or Amazing Sinanju cause the dude is totally a Char and I'm just waiting for him to get a mask or goggles of some sort. Maybe he could even having like a transitional Hiyaku Shiki or Delta Gundam, just for shits and giggles. Too bad there is no HG of the Sinanju Stein cause that is totally like the epitome of a badguy upgrade mobile suit.

I really hope they don't give him any sort of mask, and I think the show is smarter than that honestly. Yuuki already wears a mask in his usual conversations with people as class president and a normal every day student, its no coincidence that he pushes back his hair and lets loose with the abrupt and hot blooded persona when it comes to Gunpla battle.

But yes, I'd be eager to see what he gets for an upgrade, though the Zaku Amazing is pretty... amazing. I'm still not 100% convinced that we'll be seeing mid-season upgrades if the show only goes 26 episodes. Traditionally we'd see them at the halfway point of a series, but I can't see Build Fighters negating the Build strike in only another 6-7 episodes, even though they've been very action packed.

Then again, I'm still holding out hope for a full show or a 00 two season split.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Honestly, I don't think the Zaku amazing is all that great. Maybe it's just the fact that all the new parts are simply additional parts tacked on to normal armor, but it just doesn't look all that great as a design to me. Outside the weapons anyways. The knives and pistols are cool. The docking mode revealed this episode does make it a bit better looking though at least. I hope his next suit integrates the new parts a bit better to the overall build, rather than just being different colored thrusters and weapon packs stuck on.

Also, Sei doesn't need to completely upgrade to get new suits as proved this episode. He can just make new suits for the sake of it, for fallback suits, for dual battles, because he feels like it or for any other nebulous reason really. Which I hope he does at least a couple more of. A Build ZZ, Hi/Nu, F-91, Crossbone, V, Turn-A or Exia would be pretty amazing. And honestly, I think a Build Shining would probably be Reiji's perfect suit - though I'm not sure how you could really weaponize it's normal attacks for the tournament. Still, I'd love to see 'em try.

tsob fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 12, 2013

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I can't imagine this show will stop dead at 25 episodes. It's a virtually risk-free proposition from a merchandising standpoint, and it sounds like top talent is clamoring to work on it – short of dismal ratings, why not keep it going?

edit: well, that's a bummer. It deserves better than frickin' AGE, fer chrissakes.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 12, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

I can't imagine this show will stop dead at 25 episodes. It's a virtually risk-free proposition from a merchandising standpoint, and it sounds like top talent is clamoring to work on it – short of dismal ratings, why not keep it going?

... Well, uh, the ratings so far have been dismal so that's something. If the early word is to be believed, it's sub-Age and Age was already king of the lovely Gundam Ratings. The whole 'being available online' thing may contribute to that but Age was available online too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bimmi posted:

edit: well, that's a bummer. It deserves better than frickin' AGE, fee chrissakes.

I'd have zero problems with this becoming a yearly show a la Pokemon, though perhaps changing cast every season or two so that we can get continuous promotion for older shows, different protagonists using different styles of building and fighting along with them using kits from other shows or even manga. Also, while the ratings may be in the toilet, it's effect on model and toy sales may still prop it up and keep it going beyond it's normal run. Presuming they're good of course, which I have no idea of and no-one else really seems to at the moment beyond some rumors regarding Gyan and the like either.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Dismal is sort of an understatement if the numbers for episode 1 & 2 are correct. We probably wont see any evidence of influence on gunpla sales for another 3 months either (when Bandai's 3Q IR comes out).

quote:

世 個 K T M1 M2 M3 F1 F2 F3
1.8 1.0 4.4 0.9 0.6 1.1 0.5 1.6 0.6 0.3 ガンダムビルドファイターズ1話
1.4 0.8 0.7 0.1 1.3 2.1 0.5 0.5 0.1 0.8 ガンダムビルドファイターズ2話

The rating among the kids demographic just plummets after episode 1 while the ratings among older dudes jumped. It doesn't really help that the show airs across from the news on every other channel in Tokyo.

aers fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 12, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's probably inaccurate and extremely presumptive to blame AGE for this, but gently caress it I'm going to do it anyways.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Yeah, that's pretty bad alright.

I hope the brand hasn't been irrevocably tainted. If this doesn't succeed I'm not sure what else they can do with it.

Then again, merch may make all the difference here: V Gundam spent its entire run at the very bottom of the ratings and G just barely improved on that, but G's toys and models sold well whereas V's did not, so it was considered successful enough.

Even V never dipped below 3 though, as I recall, so this is still pretty poo poo news.

And sure, why not blame AGE for this? That level of sheer crap should never have made it to series and is exactly the sort of thing that murders IPs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Out of curiosity, are there any relatively recent mecha series that are doing/did well with kids? And how were 00's ratings?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

It keeps bothering me how they hand over the gunplas to each other. If I grabbed any model with a backpack like Reiji does it would probably fall off instantly. Not to mention any weapons its holding.

I kept thinking the silver haired girl in the OP would be from Reiji's planet/whatever and came to get him back or something, but guess not.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any relatively recent mecha series that are doing/did well with kids? And how were 00's ratings?

I think Danball Senkei does okay. Though the current season hasn't been in the top anime ratings at all.

It probably helps that the anime is more or less an ad for the video games.

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 12, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Demicol posted:

It keeps bothering me how they hand over the gunplas to each other. If I grabbed any model with a backpack like Reiji does it would probably fall off instantly. Not to mention any weapons its holding.

Man modern HGs aren't that fragile. It's a little eye-raising seeing people store them in little deck holders, but there's nothing wrong with grabbing one by the backpack or anything. Especially since Sei's probably topcoated all the joints to make them sturdier.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That was one of the most brutal fight in gundam. :stare:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zedd posted:

That was one of the most brutal fight in gundam. :stare:

Yeah, I cant fault China from averting her gaze near the end because that poo poo was gruesome. Its hilarious how a show designed for kids has probably the most hardcore gundam fans making it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I just noticed that there's an SD Knight Gundam in the opening when the Build Strike flies by everything and its cousin. This may be the best thing ever if there's an episode where Sei and Reiji have to fight a horde of SD kits.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

TARDISman posted:

I just noticed that there's an SD Knight Gundam in the opening when the Build Strike flies by everything and its cousin. This may be the best thing ever if there's an episode where Sei and Reiji have to fight a horde of SD kits.

There's got to be an episode where they fight an SD figure, or one of those SD/HG hybrid kitbashes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The SD Knight Gundam was in a trailer as well as the OP so I'm sure we'll see it soon enough.

Since it's a goofy thing to have and next week is a beach episode, I'm betting we'll see it next week.

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 10, 2012

"It was then that an ominous man stood beside me with a face of ill portent."
It's nice to see the MkII getting some sort of feature. I always liked its design more than zeta, especially in Titan colours.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Having felt put off by AGE and Gunpla Builders I'd been avoiding this show but I just gave in and watched the first episode. Dear god the Build Strike's first fight was fantastic, Ramba Ral out of loving nowhere and is that a gold Sumo I just saw in the preview for episode 2? Why the hell was I so cautious of this, it's pushing all my buttons like crazy. Excuse me while I seriously consider the HG Build Strike (I have entirely too many gunpla I really want right now and I'm at serious risk of getting every HG from this).

edit: You can buy the Build Strike's backpack separately to put it on other HGs? And they're doing a thing of releasing HGs of all the main suits designed to be as compatible with each other as possible? :psyduck: I need to sit down, this is going to end badly for me.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 13, 2013

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You really should just marathon all the way to ep6 because it only gets progressively better.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

TARDISman posted:

In episode five there was a SD Satan Gundam in one of the quick replay flashes.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_86GS6Otd64

Episode 7 was great and the preview for 8 looks nuts why is this show so good.

After you've watched it check out this mysterious new character they've added to the website - http://gundam-bf.net/characters/24/

aers fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 18, 2013

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Haven't watched 7 yet due to currently being at work but I've really been enjoying this series. I think Ral summed up what's so great about it in ep 6. It's something that doesn't take itself seriously at all, and that's why they can. Also the suits are batshit awesome.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Awww, poor Build Gundam Mk II. It barely got an episode to shine before it got damaged and Sei decided to build something new to replace it. I was hoping that it would have a longer shelf life. Well, onwards to more Gunpla! At least Maoh had a really cool scene with the Satellite Cannon

TNG fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 18, 2013

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

aers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_86GS6Otd64

Episode 7 was great and the preview for 8 looks nuts why is this show so good.

After you've watched it check out this mysterious new character they've added to the website - http://gundam-bf.net/characters/24/

I think we found our Char and it's pretty obvious who that is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Sand-Gouf was the best.

Also, holy poo poo a custom Apsalus.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Zedd posted:

I think we found our Char and it's pretty obvious who that is.

He's not our Char, he's our Quattro. I also find it hilarious that they're playing around with the multiple name aspect of the character rather than just the mask aspect.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This show keeps getting better and now we are going to have our Quattro. This is fantastic!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The Jamil cosplayer was pretty Neate.

Gundam X Maou runs on pure awesome, it doesn't need a moon. Did Obari work on this episode? It practically did an Obari Pose with the Hyper Satellite Cannon.

Next week, Tallgeese III!!

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

The Jamil cosplayer was pretty Neate.

Gundam X Maou runs on pure awesome, it doesn't need a moon. Did Obari work on this episode? It practically did an Obari Pose with the Hyper Satellite Cannon.

Next week, Tallgeese III!!

Obari was mecha AD and did about a million cuts. That was no 'practical'. :)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah so this was basically the Gundam X fanservice episode, and I loved every second of it. :allears:

EDIT: Also going by the preview, next week Tallgeese dies.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 18, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Yeah so this was basically the Gundam X fanservice episode, and I loved every second of it. :allears:
Was Mao humming the first OP for Gundam X while cleaning up the graffiti?

Caros
May 14, 2008

I do wonder if Sei is actually building another new Gundam from scratch for the tournament. It wouldn't surprise me since we don't see either the Build Mk II, or the Build Strike in the previews. It does scare me that they might be doing the mid season upgrade only eight episodes into the series.

That said, pretty drat good episode. I think I preferred last weeks if only because I'm not really keen on mobile armors, and the premise of this one was just a tiny bit too much on the wrong side of rediculous for once. Then again I really liked the out of suit action as much as I usually do.
Also, I can't fault them too much for a somewhat less visually impressive battle considering they blew the entire budget of Gundam AGE on the last episode.

I think it had the best comedy of the series so far in this episode. Just watching the reactions to China's swim suit with Sei talking about it with Gunpla terms and both Ral and Sei backing the gently caress off in horror as they realize how dumb Reiji was about to be.

Caros fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 18, 2013

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Endorph posted:

Was Mao humming the first OP for Gundam X while cleaning up the graffiti?

That he was, it was my favorite part of the episode, though I think I'm in the minority who likes Resolution better.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Good episode, but I didn't like how they went out of their way to not name what show the Apalus III came from. Come on dudes 8th MS team rulled! :argh:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

ElBrak posted:

Good episode, but I didn't like how they went out of their way to not name what show the Apalus III came from. Come on dudes 8th MS team rulled! :argh:

I can't even imagine a Japanase VA trying to pronounce that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Demicol posted:

I can't even imagine a Japanase VA trying to pronounce that.
Kidō Senshi Gandamu Dai Zerohachi Emu Esu Shōta

• Locked thread